Forums » Pantheon Classes

Buff Timers Consumed Only While " In Use " ?

• 1921 posts
    January 21, 2017 8:48 AM PST

What are your thoughts on this idea, for Pantheon?

Buff timers stop when not in use.

Or

Buff timers only count down while in use.

Do you think this is an idea that would add fun, innovation and challenge to Pantheon?  For reference, in EQ1, Buff timers halt while in the Nexus or the Bazaar.

My thoughts are that it would allow for the implementation of meaningful travel (initially and ongoing) without the constant pressure to keep moving. Need to wait 5 minutes for someone?  That's ok.  SoW timer halts while you wait, standing still, or sitting / meditating.  It would also allow for more relaxing downtime, I think.

However, if a buff was used quite often, say, something like a movement speed buff, mana regen, or health regen, when those were in use, they would count down.  So, for example, a health regen buff would only count down and be active if you were not at full health.  Similarly, a mana regen effect would only count down and be active if you were not at full mana.  And as well, if you were not moving, your movement speed buff would not count down.

Most buffs would count down while in combat, but not necessarily all.  In practice this would mean unless you consumed mana continuously during travel, your mana regen would last for all the time you were in combat or medding to full mana.  This means players tolerance for travel time would likely increase.

Finally, it lines up with this, from the FAQ:

"

You will also be able to sacrifice items at altars in temples in return for valuable and long lasting ‘buffs’.

"

In that the value from these 'sacrificial buffs' might be that they only count down while in use, to promote the "long lasting" part.  I would prefer that this mechanic apply to all player cast buffs, but I understand if it might be a design goal that it only apply to buffs after level 20 or 30 or even spells and effects that are crafted, quested, or dropped, rather than purchased from an NPC.

• 97 posts
    January 22, 2017 4:06 PM PST

Hmmmm interesting point. Personally, I am in favor of buff timers stopping in non-combat areas like towns. I also hate short duration buffs, this game should not be about re-memming buffs every 20 minutes. That being said, I think I wouldn't mind buffs timers running continuously in combat areas. Stopping the timer when you're full health/mana/out of combat seems too much like out-of-combat regen rates, which, to be honest, even though it made the game quicker and easier, took so much away from the social aspect. 5 minutes of "med time" or shorts breaks before the next mob popped led to lots of great group conversation.

I know we're in a different era now... maybe someone can change my mind but that's how I feel right now.

• 2886 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:31 AM PST

Quintra said:

Hmmmm interesting point. Personally, I am in favor of buff timers stopping in non-combat areas like towns. I also hate short duration buffs, this game should not be about re-memming buffs every 20 minutes. That being said, I think I wouldn't mind buffs timers running continuously in combat areas. Stopping the timer when you're full health/mana/out of combat seems too much like out-of-combat regen rates, which, to be honest, even though it made the game quicker and easier, took so much away from the social aspect. 5 minutes of "med time" or shorts breaks before the next mob popped led to lots of great group conversation.

I know we're in a different era now... maybe someone can change my mind but that's how I feel right now.

This.

Keep it simple. In town: buffs pause. Out of town: buffs count down. I think that's still pretty generous tbh, but it's probably for the best. Anything more would just be convoluted and too easy mode.

• 1921 posts
    January 23, 2017 8:28 AM PST

Good comments.

I like the idea of in town? pause. out of town? countdown. as an option too.  Having them countdown continuously while in a dungeon, but not continuously while "outside" might work as wel.

I should mention though, that such a feature (even as originally described) wouldn't affect the amount of down time at all.  It would simply extend the amount of time you could remain in the field, adventuring.  To me, this would give designers more latitude in designing opportunities for social downtime, rather than less.  Those med breaks would be exactly the same duration.

Put another way, not having to continually refresh your buffs as often doesn't limit your time in the field.  It should extend it.

• 2752 posts
    January 23, 2017 11:56 AM PST

Eh, I have to say I am against the idea. Buffs not counting down when logged out is one thing but when running around in the game world they should always be ticking away. To have them not count down in cities is just weird, not to mention some people might be farming guards inside cities. If anything I am in favor of generally long lasting buffs for almost exclusively movement speed and stat buffs. Everything else that comes to mind I can see having any duration as appropriate. 

• 780 posts
    January 23, 2017 12:26 PM PST

I think I'd prefer to keep them keep running, also.  I like having to manage buff timers, both for myself and for others. 

• 2886 posts
    January 23, 2017 12:42 PM PST

It's true that people could be farming guards in a city. I was thinking more along the lines of just your home city or cities you have good faction with. But I still suppose it would be good to always keep the option for combat open. It's more realistic that way. Perhaps there is a world event where your city gets attacked by an army of orcs? I don't know. I'm just glad there won't be a universal player hub that's a total safe zone.

In short, I think the intention (to foster built-in social downtime) is good, but the implementation is not.

• 2419 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:06 PM PST

Buffs should only stop their countdown when you are offline, otherwise they just keep counting down. Many buffs give you advantages even if you're not doing anything.  If i'm just standing around in a dark area but have Ultravision buff allowing me to see as if it were day, I'm gaining the benefit even though I'm doing nothing.  Not to mention any buff that helps you work on tradeskills in town. 

Even if you're standing around doing nothing, it doesn't mean buffs should stop their timers.

• 1921 posts
    January 24, 2017 9:48 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Buffs should only stop their countdown when you are offline, otherwise they just keep counting down. Many buffs give you advantages even if you're not doing anything.  If i'm just standing around in a dark area but have Ultravision buff allowing me to see as if it were day, I'm gaining the benefit even though I'm doing nothing.  Not to mention any buff that helps you work on tradeskills in town. 

Even if you're standing around doing nothing, it doesn't mean buffs should stop their timers.

And yet, in the Nexus and Bazaar, in EQ1, even today, "standing around" waiting for a group, or setting up for a raid, or for any other reason (just to chat) all buff times halt/stop. 

It's a very popular feature in EQ1 because it removes the constant pressure to rebuff, and allows players to socialize and not rush.

• 780 posts
    January 24, 2017 10:50 AM PST

Rebuffing is part of socialization, though.  I'd also prefer not to have zones like Nexus and Bazaar in PRF anyway.

• 154 posts
    March 30, 2017 12:18 AM PDT
    Buffs lasting a short time makes them more appreciated when you get them out in the combat areas where people need their mana. A buff is a buff and I think that if it were to be unused, it'd have to be a special area where the magical is thick or something not just like regular towns.
    • 44 posts
    April 27, 2017 6:09 AM PDT
    things are more precious when they are fleeting. Having to go someware to find someone who will cast a four hour buff on you adds to community based game play. dying and having to go get the thing again, makes dying more meaningful. It helps player economy and friends are made. I think this safe zones or buff pause is a step in the wrong direction.