Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What changes players from blasting to max level at launch?

• 2130 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:21 PM PST

Reaching the "end" quickly is completely relative though.

A hard time gate is the only way to normalize the amount of time it takes for people to reach endgame, and I think it'd be kind of ridiculous for that to be a thing.

I agree that the default experience should not be fast, but enforcing the default experience on everyone leaves a pretty bad taste.

• 1434 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:30 PM PST

Liav said:

Reaching the "end" quickly is completely relative though.

A hard time gate is the only way to normalize the amount of time it takes for people to reach endgame, and I think it'd be kind of ridiculous for that to be a thing.

I agree that the default experience should not be fast, but enforcing the default experience on everyone leaves a pretty bad taste.

It's not completely relative at all. Most, if not all players have a concept of what is too fast or too slow. Especially in Pantheon where there's an expectation of a more long-term experience, being able to hit max level in a week -- even playing 24 hours a day -- would be considered fast by almost any standard. There's only 168 hours in a week.

Putting a certain amount of content between level 1 and max, that generally requires a particular amount of time, is also not "enforcing a default experience". It's called making a game.

• 2130 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:55 PM PST

It's extremely relative, and it's self-evident that it is just based on the differing opinions in this thread.

If 6 months is the expectation for an average player, it wouldn't surprise me if the most hardcore get in done in 1/6 of that. If the average is a year, maybe it'll take them 2-3 months. If the average is a month, it'll take a week.

The point is that one specific person's experience is always going to be different from another player, and that artificially restricting players who will blow through content 6 times as fast as other people is just going to make for a really bad experience.

This post was edited by Liav at January 16, 2017 4:56 PM PST
    • 1434 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:14 PM PST

Liav said:

It's extremely relative, and it's self-evident that it is just based on the differing opinions in this thread.

If 6 months is the expectation for an average player, it wouldn't surprise me if the most hardcore get in done in 1/6 of that. If the average is a year, maybe it'll take them 2-3 months. If the average is a month, it'll take a week.

The point is that one specific person's experience is always going to be different from another player, and that artificially restricting players who will blow through content 6 times as fast as other people is just going to make for a really bad experience.

Not all restrictions are artificial restrictions, unless we want to label anything in a game as virtual and therefore artificial. Usually an artificial restriction is one that is unrealistic or illogical, like not being able to loot a mob because you are 20 levels above it. Not being able to survive in an area you need to go to continue leveling up because you rushed to the necessary level without obtaining the necessary equipment is an example of restriction that is in no way artificial. Much like spending all your money on wood and blocks and having no money left for screws and nails might restrict you from building your house.

People seem to forget that these restrictions will not (or at least should not) be arbitrary, but part of a well thought out design that will create a particular experience that the developers and designers believe will best suit their audience, portray their vision, promote longevity and a sense of accomplishment. That will undoubtedly mean there will be some limitations to prevent players from undermining that design, while also attempting to allow as much freedom as possible. Like all things, it's a balance.

This post was edited by Dullahan at January 16, 2017 5:17 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:22 PM PST

I have answered this in another thread but it applies to this thread also:

We won't try to stop or slow people from power levelling or soloing but we also won't cater to them either, if they reach max level and are left with nothing to do, that is on them, any complaints will fall on deaf ears as will soloers complaining that they can't progress in a dungeon or reach max level without groups or help, this is an MMORPG, a group-based game that encourages socializing and interacting with your fellow community members, and people should be more focussed on their own enjoyment of the game than what others are doing.

If we see any problems with soloing or power levelling we will react accordingly during testing when we will be monitoring all of these things but someone powering to max level to be first has no impact on your game experience, they will play the way they like and you folks can play the way you like, slowing them down to force them to join your group will have a negative impact on you and your group, as that person will probably be uncomfortable and frustrated being restricted and try to run ahead, want quick speed runs through dungeons etc. so by letting them do their own thing and play their own way will actually improve your gaming experience, not hinder it.

Something to consider anyway.

• 234 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:23 PM PST

If you put content behind barrirers that must be overcome (EG: Environments), and you put the mobs that would give best path to max level behind those barrirers, then you automatically slow people down for the first run through anyway.  At the same time its fun because you have to figure out how to get past something in order to progress at a faster rate (reward) which then leads to more spells/items/weapons/armor etc that are found along the way that are used in more barrirers.

Pleeeh , that was a mouthfull.

Anyway, thus horizontal progression(aquisition of things), is anything that will allow more vertical progression (levels) which is slowed by barriers, EG: Environments, Locked doors, area factions and yes a persons level and ability to cope with a given area (skill/knowledge).

Todays MMOs pretty much only have vertical progression and no barriers so horizontal progression is an afterthought and we get cash shops instead of content.

At any rate, this is how I think this game will slow us down, even the hard cores to a point.

When somone reaches max level you should really feel and look like you have earned it. Not before.

My 2cp

-Az

• 284 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:44 PM PST

Not too worried about people levelling too fast or too slow. Like Azaya said, it's reasonable to assume there will be zone, quest and/or environmental barriers to following the 100% optimal path for levelling, so there will be some suboptimal stuff. In addition, it seems very unlikely that all the spells you'll need to efficiently level (especially near max) will be readily available, not to mention obtaining some basic gear.

Yeah it's true that some people will get to higher player levels faster than others, but that's only a small facet of what it means to actually progress your character in any mmo, let alone an old model mmo.

• 220 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:35 PM PST

Fast levelers level fast.  They are peacocks, let them fly.

I am only sad when my friends no longer want to adventure because I am too casual.  Instead, I choose to make friends of whom ask for nothing from me, and whom I want nothing from, except their company.

I all reality, I'd like to see VR drop a big old middle finger at launch and every xpac, and shuffle mobs, gear, and exp bonuses all over the world; using alpha and beta phases strictly for calculations, systems, and bug tests.  They should secretly implement the real launch database on their private server. 

This post was edited by Larr at January 16, 2017 6:36 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:44 PM PST

@Larr Peacocks don't fly very well or for very long hehe 

• 12 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:08 PM PST

Let players play how they want to play. No point of being jealous of someone who is a higher lever than you. Remember that we are playing a game, and no matter what happens within the game, no other player is going to be superior to you. The important thing to focus on is that everything in the game is available to all of us. It makes no difference if a lvl 50 is experiencing Terminus or a lvl 10 or lvl 30. Everyone is experiencing the game. Whether a person stays in a few zones to grind to lvl 50 then ventures out to explore the zone your in while your only lvl 20, doesn't matter because both players are experiencing the same game. The worse thing to do is limit what players can do.

I do not think the real issue is about time to level, or whether someone acheives something first. The problem is that gaming has been flooded with an elite attitude where people feel like they are superior to others because of what they can do within a game. And what's worse than elitism is when insecure players experience an inferiority complex of others. In this case, the player who isn't an elitist will feel like they are insignificant and that they have just been wasting their time. When in reality, the entire game is a waste of time. All of we are doing is wasting time (hopefully having fun) in a simulation in which no one outside of it will care. Your family won't care, your boss won't care, your coworkers won't care, other mmo players won't care, and in most case players within the same exact game won't care.

This mindset wasn't as prevelant in the early days of EQ because gaming wasn't the same back in 1990s. Games where just a nerdy passtime. You wouldn't go around bragging about playing videogames because people realized that videogames where just a means of passing time. This idea of videogames being a competitive olympics sport is pretty rediculous, especially in a MMORPG. The idea (at least in my opinion) was the create an online version of pen&paper RPGs where massive amounts of players can join forces and play together. Unlike MUDs, MMOs could be a 3D living world.

I do not think these games ever intended skill (twitch like skill seen in shooters and RTS games) to be a factor. These games are a port of dice rolling games and everyone has the skill to role dice. No one would brag about rolling dice (at least not in a serious manner). These games would be about going on an adventure with others, and any short comings a person may have in real life would be obsolete in this game world because you are "role-playing" as a different character. No role-player should be inhibited by twitch based skills. Of course you can still have difficulty in desicion making and choice, but it wasn't in the form of faster reflexes.

I may just be speaking on my own behalf, but the thing that people long for in MMOs is the seperation from inferiority/superiority of others; seperation of elites/noobs. Go back to playing a game for fun and playing with other people because it is fun to have fellowship with others. Look at the game as a game, as a time where you get to play the role of a different person then your everday life and that other people are doing the same.

Just remember that time to level, rushing to max, rushing to clear raids first; none of this matters. Have fun, enjoy the game, enjoy the world, and most importantly enjoy the company of others.

• 234 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:03 PM PST

Bu...t - @Korashi, you are ruining my immersion :P

It's a way of life!!

/looks sheepishly at the ground and twists toe in the sand

Lol but serriously, it is easy to get caught up in the mad rush to be the best.  I've fallen prey to it in the past and spent way too many hours of my life in a game (Thank you EQ), competing with or trying to be as cool as my peers.  Why? who knows, but it sure was fun doing it. 

In many ways part of the social game is also engaging in its politics.  The politics often result in the mad rush to be the first and I guess thats ok.  
    The world wont feel alive without the yin and the yang as it were. 

But I would submit that games have become more than just pass times in our modern era. After all look at twitch, and ESPN has a gaming section now. Arguably foot ball is also just a waste of time but look how seriously people take it.  Some video games, such as MMOs, naturally lend themselves to fostering that competitive spirit we see play out with foot ball fans all the time.   And some people take their foot ball pretty darn serriously.

In my early EQ years I only ever talked about EQ with other players.  I knew that no one would care or understand it and would probably think it was wierd.  These days however I think its becoming more acceptible and I'm finding people talk more openly and freely about their game experiences with co-workers.

This post was edited by azaya at January 16, 2017 8:04 PM PST
    • 1434 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:57 PM PST

I feel like people are still missing the point. The desire to make reaching max level a harder and slower process has absolutely nothing to do with envy or jealous for most people. Speaking as someone who has personally been first to cap or first of my class to cap on several occasions (including more recently, P99 Red), the goal is making the process slower so that it doesn't end as quickly.

Pantheon is a game I want to play for many years. I don't want to see the process of getting to cap or anything else to be trivialized by making it too fast or too easy. I want to spend time thinking about ways to improve my character and how to play better and more efficiently. If that process is over and done with in a matter of days or even weeks, we have a bigger problem on our hands regarding Pantheon's design as far as I'm concerned.

• 58 posts
    January 16, 2017 9:10 PM PST

Kilsin said:

We won't try to stop or slow people from power levelling or soloing but we also won't cater to them either, if they reach max level and are left with nothing to do, that is on them, any complaints will fall on deaf ears as will soloers complaining that they can't progress in a dungeon or reach max level without groups or help, this is an MMORPG, a group-based game that encourages socializing and interacting with your fellow community members, and people should be more focussed on their own enjoyment of the game than what others are doing.

If we see any problems with soloing or power levelling we will react accordingly during testing when we will be monitoring all of these things but someone powering to max level to be first has no impact on your game experience, they will play the way they like and you folks can play the way you like, slowing them down to force them to join your group will have a negative impact on you and your group, as that person will probably be uncomfortable and frustrated being restricted and try to run ahead, want quick speed runs through dungeons etc. so by letting them do their own thing and play their own way will actually improve your gaming experience, not hinder it.

Two ways I could see this being an issue First: The progeny system granting buffs that are too useful to pass up per the meta.  Second: Economy or finding the good camps and locking them down early.  Then that does affect the community.  I've seen it enough in other games.  We'l have to wait in see though how everything is laid out to know for sure.

• 12 posts
    January 16, 2017 9:35 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I feel like people are still missing the point. The desire to make reaching max level a harder and slower process has absolutely nothing to do with envy or jealous for most people. Speaking as someone who has personally been first to cap or first of my class to cap on several occasions (including more recently, P99 Red), the goal is making the process slower so that it doesn't end as quickly.

Pantheon is a game I want to play for many years. I don't want to see the process of getting to cap or anything else to be trivialized by making it too fast or too easy. I want to spend time thinking about ways to improve my character and how to play better and more efficiently. If that process is over and done with in a matter of days or even weeks, we have a bigger problem on our hands regarding Pantheon's design as far as I'm concerned.

I hear what you are saying man. From what we have seen so far, we can expect a game pretty similar to EQ in terms of combat, exploration, zone layout, spells, non-hand holding, etc. I think it is also safe to assume that time to level will be similar. I would say if you enjoyed your experience playing and leveling during EQ, then you will have a similar experience in Pantheon. On the same note, as Laiv points out, many players play videogames with a different mindset. And no matter how long it takes to level up, you will still have people sprinting to reach max level. Speed runners or speed levelers in this case, are an active community present in any game. Hindering their gameplay makes no sense.

I get what you are saying, by wanting slower leveling so you don't feel like you have lost the competitive edge of being amongst the first. But that is the whole point of the competition. The competition is about not taking breaks, going through the perserverence process of grinding non-stop to be amongst the first. Whether this is 1 month, 3 months, 1 year, there will still be those people who do not take breaks and grind it out just to be the first. That is the point of the process. That is the motivation and the drive. It is not to stop, and only to go to the finish line. The vast majority of the population will not be able to live this sort of life style in order to be successful in being amonst the first. That said, there will always be someone you can and will.

You have to be realistic with your expections on how long the game can be. For an independent developer with a small team to be able to generate 2-3 months of content for players playing the game 16 hours a day is unreasonable (that's over a 1,000 hours of speedrun gameplay). Again, as Laiv has said, the only way to achieve this would be to reduce exp to the point where the game turns into a Korean-style grindfest and the developers have said they do not want to take that direction.

If you like the EQ leveling experience, then I think Pantheon will offer something similar. I also think that people will hit max level as fast as physically possible. Not matter what that time barrier may be. If you want to play the game at a slower pace so you don't feel like you are forced to rush, rush, rush. Then you are going to have to change your mindset because you are not going to change the mindset of others.

• 9115 posts
    January 16, 2017 10:14 PM PST

leafnin said:

Kilsin said:

Two ways I could see this being an issue First: The progeny system granting buffs that are too useful to pass up per the meta.  Second: Economy or finding the good camps and locking them down early.  Then that does affect the community.  I've seen it enough in other games.  We'l have to wait in see though how everything is laid out to know for sure.

We have already said that the buffs or rewards for Progeny will not be game breaking as we wouldn't want it to impact the levelling process but we will reveal more on the Progeny system later ;)

• 781 posts
    January 16, 2017 10:34 PM PST

Ive come to the conclusion that you guys just like to argue !no natter the resolve.   Just argue !

• 763 posts
    January 16, 2017 11:38 PM PST

I presented stats in my post above to illustrate how the 'time to max level' spread works when comparing gameplay time spent by the spectrum of players from 'super racers' to 'sooo casuals' - taking 3 nodes to use as illustration.
    The reality is that people will all level at different rates, and that these rates only have a few points of impact:

1. The percentage of player-base at MAX level

These players will be sitting at MAX level, potentially twiddling their thumbs. While only a tiny fraction of the playerbase is here, this is not a problem. It becomes a problem when this percentage becomes significant. Exactly what percentage is moot - though likely smaller than you might imagine. Perhaps as low as 5-10% or less.

2. The time taken for development of new content

The issue about so many people making MAX level too quickly hit EQ hard, causing them to invent AA's on the spot as a stop-gap measure. There was an unexpected rate of levelling that caught the developers by surprise. This is something that should be avoided. Thus, as long as #1 is not exceeded before more content is available, it is not a problem.

Ultimately how anyone plays the game is irrelevant - but in today's media rich environment there still needs to be enough for these 'levellers' to do in the short term to avoid the negative impact they may produce. Hopefully, given the depth of content envisaged, this will not be the case for quite a while after they reach max level.

Unfortunately, Brad and his team seem to insist on 'having a life' and 'going home from the office' every day!!
    ... sheesh at this rate it will take ages to produce more of this fantastic content!

• 393 posts
    January 17, 2017 3:11 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Seems to me there will a tremendous amount of material to get through. Especially with the horizontal approach that is claimed. Getting to max level the fastest may just be a tiny sliver of a feat compared to all other content mastery. I get the feeling that, and I really hope it's the case, that this game will favor the take time to smell the roses approach. Not because it's the designers' intent to slow people down but because time is necessary to fully appreciate the complexity of the game's content.

• 72 posts
    January 17, 2017 3:14 AM PST

Nephretiti said:

I would rather see a "diminshing return" on XP gained for certain things.  Let's say that you COULD just stay in one spot slaying kobalds for days on end.  I would like to see the XP gain for killing them drop lower and lower.  Say as an example, 100 XP for the first one, then 99, then 98 etc.  Eventually you get no XP for grinding them.  This would seem to make some sense to me as there is only so many things you are going to learn by killing the same mobs over and over.

I would also like to see diminishing returns over time.  What this means is that there is only so much XP you can gain over a specific amount of time.  So if you cross a specific threshold in XP gain you will no longer gain any XP for grinding mobs.  I would say to let them gain Quest XP and Pereception gain etc., but drop the MobKills XP until the threshhold passes.

I like the post above mine, nice tables etx.

My "diminishing returns" idea would actually blow that apart.  By adding this type of scaling to the guesstemations, you can control the rate at which the "rushers" level up.  This might turn some folks off (the rushers) but in the long run I think it would make for a better community.

no to all

• 60 posts
    January 17, 2017 3:49 AM PST

Enitzu said:

Stephen said:

Dullahan said:

While there may not be any way to absolutely prevent people from achieving max level in a matter of weeks, there are ways to seriously slow them down. It's actually not that hard. You do it by gear checks. That is done with formulas involving skill levels and statistics.

To make explaining it simple, let's just call this Focus for casters, and Attack for melee. If relative to level, it takes a higher level of Focus to effectively heal your allies, as well as the focus/attack necessary to effectively and reliably damage mobs, it will eventually become mandatory for players to gear out their character to continue gaining experience. Thus, the player who spent time playing the game and gearing accordingly will be able to gain experience much faster than an undergeared character doing nothing but grinding the best experience spot.

It's really that simple. When player power is more rigidly determined by equipment and stats versus purely by levels, it changes the path of progression to one that cannot as easily be rushed. A player still wearing starter rags at level 10 will notice it getting really hard to grind experience, despite the fact that he or she is fighting mobs at or even below their own level. They'll have to spend their money finding some better armor, tracking down some rare spawns, or delving into dungeons if they want to get back to grinding experience. Same with a level 30 player wearing old armor from their teens. To put it succinctly, the fastest way to level is no longer focusing on gaining experience, but on the broader player progression, with all of it's pitfalls, time sinks and cooperative requirements.

That of course doesn't stop twinks, but that's a whole different topic.

This blew my mind in so many ways. I haven't seen anyone else suggest anything like this yet. I can't believe I never even thought about something as simple as this concept, it's actually genius and would work really well in my eyes and most players would not complain I would imagine since it keeps you working on stuff rather than mindlessly grinding in the best spots one after the other. @Aradune Can you confirm if this would be something you guys would consider atleast testing in alpha maybe?

It really isn't as genius as you'd think. It's been done in a few games. The simple work around to this is to grind gearing areas. The high end players that do burn through the leveling content do so by learning the most effective routes, which will be known well before the end of beta. So adding this in simply changes where they level. In fact this would more hurt the more casual players than it would the more hardcore players. The hardcore crowd will have set groups to power grind the minute of launch. Those groups will hit every camp they need to in order to keep themselves progressing forward. They may not be optimal the entire way but they wouldn't have to back track at any point. If they were to put in larger requirements for gear then the group comps would simply change to favor either more melee or more casters rather than a mix. This cuts down on the number of camps needed by having multiple people get things fromt he same camps. 

So while it is effective at slowing things down a little, it is by no means a 'fix'. If anything this would forcably tunnel large groups of people into the same areas to farm gear instead of allowing them to spread out over open world areas just to get xp. 

What mmo has done exactly what has been said here? I'm interested to know because I have been playing mmo's for close to 19 years and not once seen this concept done for leveling,  I mean sure i've seen "hit rating" type gear but you could always skip it for the most part and still hit the mobs 70% of the time. 

You also mentioned that it will make hardcore players overtake areas in the game for casual players, but they wont be there after the first day because they will be playing more and onto a much different area most likely. A good example of this from not too long ago was the launch of BDO. My casual friends complained it was overrun in certain areas but after the first 14-18 hours it wasn't as packed anymore because the "hardcore" crowd had gotten way in front of the casual crowd for obvious reasons, so it didn't cause an issue after that. 

You also said it will slow thing down a "little", um...I think it would slow it down a helluva lot more than a "little" if done right. 

Also there doesn't need to be only 2 or 3 spots to farm for the gear to progress, they could make it like 10-15 different spots. 

• 793 posts
    January 17, 2017 4:22 AM PST

Ok, obviously the only viable solution is for Kilsin to post his play schedule, and the servers only come online at those times. ;)

• 60 posts
    January 17, 2017 4:38 AM PST

I see a lot of people saying "I don't care if people rush, let them do what they want, it doesn't matter if they get 50 in 4 days" but I just want to point out that a lot of players that are competetive(and there is a lot of us nowadays) don't want it to be fast. Personally regardless it's in my nature to be one of the first on the server to ding cap and work on getting the best items, I dunno why but it just is the way I am and a lot of other people aswell. But that doesn't mean I don't care how long it will take me to hit cap, I want it to take atleast 3 weeks if possible to do. I know making it take 2 months or whatever is asking way to much because then it will seem way much like lineage back in the days for the casual crowd lol but I want I still want the satisfaction like the 90's/early 2000's where I was like "damn!" that felt like I actually worked for it.

Every mmo I have played in the past decade I have hit cap after launch in 1-3 days and even though a lot of you might say "oh well that is your own fault", your absolutley right but even for casuals thats still only like 2-3 weeks for cap(are you guys fine with that?).

The main point i'm trying to make is even though we are competetive and rush to cap and get the best items as fast as possible doesn't mean it should be easily done like it has been the past decade for mmo's. I'm happy as long as it takes me 2.5-3 weeks to hit cap, I don't think that is much to ask from an inspired classic EQ mmo for playing 16 hours a day early on.

This post was edited by Stephen at January 17, 2017 4:40 AM PST
    • 19 posts
    January 17, 2017 5:06 AM PST

Kilsin said:

I for one am happy about this.  The last game I played that restricted the amount of XP someone gained and tried to limit the people blasting to max level was FFXIV 1.0... everyone knows how well that went over.  I can understand why some would want a system to deter people from doing it, but I think penalizing everyone else is not the way to do it. 

I'm done trying to push my gameplay style on others or letting the way other people play effect how I play.  This community will have min/maxers, rushers, casuals, hardcord, etc... it will be impossible to make everyone happy.  Due to that range, everyone will have people to play with no matter what your cup of tea is.  At least that is what I'm hoping.  Nothing but love :)

• 178 posts
    January 17, 2017 5:36 AM PST

I was curious because everyone will pay a "subscription" which is based on real time and not based on time played. A stable subscription base for development and maintanence bodes well to the longevity of the game.

• 60 posts
    January 17, 2017 5:43 AM PST

I for one am happy about this.  The last game I played that restricted the amount of XP someone gained and tried to limit the people blasting to max level was FFXIV 1.0... everyone knows how well that went over.  I can understand why some would want a system to deter people from doing it, but I think penalizing everyone else is not the way to do it. 

I'm done trying to push my gameplay style on others or letting the way other people play effect how I play.  This community will have min/maxers, rushers, casuals, hardcord, etc... it will be impossible to make everyone happy.  Due to that range, everyone will have people to play with no matter what your cup of tea is.  At least that is what I'm hoping.  Nothing but love :)

I'm not sure how FFXIV done it early on because I didn't play it until a little bit after launch for a few reasons but some ideas mentioned on the thread actually seem legit fun. 

Anyways I'm not hoping for any new innovation, I just hope they make the leveling time/mob difficulty very similiar to EQ classic so it still takes us hardcore crowd atleast 3 weeks to hit cap.