Forums » Pantheon Races

Will small races have advantages in open PvP over bigger races?

• 60 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:01 AM PST

As someone who min-maxes, I can sometimes take it a little too far and even choose a race that might be hard to click on or even see in certain environments because of the race's stature. I am a little ocd when it comes to min-maxing and feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't take this into consideration. Do any of you have opinions if this will give players an advantage or not? 

• 780 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:32 AM PST

Assuming you are going to play on a PvP shard, I'd guess having a smaller, harder-to-click sprite would give at least a tiny advantage over a giant ogre.  I'm sure there will be plenty of advantages and disadvantages to each race which will probably outweigh this one, though.

EDIT:  Punctuation.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at January 15, 2017 9:33 AM PST
    • 60 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:20 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

Assuming you are going to play on a PvP shard, I'd guess having a smaller, harder-to-click sprite would give at least a tiny advantage over a giant ogre.  I'm sure there will be plenty of advantages and disadvantages to each race which will probably outweigh this one, though.

EDIT:  Punctuation.

Yeah I will be rolling on a PvP shard for sure even though PvE is my focus I still enjoy the danger of dying to other players at any moment and being able to fight over PvE objectives. Since there will be racials then that will obviously take my priority over a smaller advantage of choosing a smaller race. I sometimes have even chosen in other games to play a female version of even bigger races because they are slightly smaller than the male counterparts....for example a female human over a male human in WoW(crazy I know since it hardly makes a difference and are still not sterotypical small lol). 

This post was edited by Stephen at January 15, 2017 10:21 AM PST
    • 318 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:42 AM PST
    If you're clicking on other players to target them, then I argue you are not PvPing efficiently.

Tab target is not affected by player size, so I say size won't give you an advantage, at least not against experienced players.
    • 60 posts
    January 15, 2017 11:01 AM PST

Wellspring said: If you're clicking on other players to target them, then I argue you are not PvPing efficiently. Tab target is not affected by player size, so I say size won't give you an advantage, at least not against experienced players.

I'm pretty sure 99% of people tab target, that is not what I'm getting at. But if the player is far away and the casting ranges might be longer than we know then they are out of tab target range generally. Plus the advantage of not seeing them behind walls/environment and being ambushed if you will.

• 9115 posts
    January 15, 2017 7:09 PM PST

Moved to "Pantheon Races" as this directly relates to races and we have a subforum for that topic.

• 3237 posts
    February 12, 2017 6:43 PM PST
    I always found tab targeting extremely unreliable in PVP. It had a time and place yes but for a coordinated fight you need to be able to quickly click a specific target. I would say that small races absolutely have an advantage over bigger ones in PVP.
    • 129 posts
    April 30, 2017 10:32 PM PDT

Stephen said:

As someone who min-maxes, I can sometimes take it a little too far and even choose a race that might be hard to click on or even see in certain environments because of the race's stature. I am a little ocd when it comes to min-maxing and feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't take this into consideration. Do any of you have opinions if this will give players an advantage or not? 

Well, if you want small races to have a smaller hitbox/clickbox, then let's go the full way :

Small races will have their "melee range" reduced because short arms, and big races big range because long arms.

Also make short races run slower because short legs... ahah.

• 21 posts
    May 5, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

Will there be a  /assist  your target in game?   If so, then usually you target your main assist and let them choose who your team should be targeting.   Thinking that would work in PVP and PVE.

• 2886 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:19 PM PDT

FatGoat said:

Will there be a  /assist  your target in game?

Yes. I'm not sure if it's in yet, but it will be.