Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Another game gone down

This topic has been closed.
    • 319 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:00 AM PST

I do not know if people are aware yet but Landmark-the EQ Next forerunner ( if that is what it was) just announced it was closeing in Febuary. EQ Next was cancelled a while ago and It looked to be a promising follow up to EQ. There is speculation that EQ and EQ2 are next on Daybreak's list. Not sure if it is panic that spawns these rumors or if people have some inside tip. I think it is a shame that people invest in a kickstarter and they just fold without any concern for the backers. Also a lot of people spent a lot of time designing items and housing etc for that game. What a huge waste of peoples time and effort.

I am secure in my mind that Panrheon is a stable  game to back and VR has no plans on scraping it. That is why I am posting this, to let people know how someone else feels abiut the game.

Also I see-pontentially- more backers comeing onboard and the prealpha being in the near future. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hell  everything is crossed.

• 801 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:18 AM PST

Well you have to know some history and who actually owns daybreak. Its a complete sell off company now.

Once that eq next failed, it was only time for landmark to fail.

I saw right through this scheme a very long time ago, and the parent company was selling off assets of SOE. Who knows the whole story, but quite frankly i dont care anymore. Daybreak, or SOE really allienated the community, and i for one was not going to invest in HIZ1, EQ anymore.

I will never forget what brad and the whole development team did for us when EQ first came around, EQ i had played up until this year, from alpha-beta era. It will always be in my heart, and if i ever return, i hope it is open source, and emulated. Otherwise EQ should die sometime, especially after all those nerfs the devs did to ruin the game, so late like SWG

Do i have a sore spot, only what they did with the character nerfs. It ruined it for so many of us.

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:36 AM PST

EQ is already open source emulated and it's not very popular. =/

• 1303 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:45 AM PST
    To be fair EQ is almost 18 years old and still has as many players as some ganes ever get. It might be a bit disengunous to suggest that its not that popular. And even some of the emulators (p99) have as many as 1700 online at peak hours, even though its been a very static content for years.

That being said, i was really on the EQ Next bandwagon until they started releasing info on actual gameplay mechanics, like no levels and such. It wasnt a continuation to the game EQ or even a evolution of it, instead merely a spinoff that had the same lore foundation.
    • 432 posts
    January 8, 2017 9:03 AM PST

There is already the first thread about Landmark and Daybreak here : https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4940/landmark/view/post_id/83036

• 1434 posts
    January 8, 2017 12:34 PM PST

Liav said:

Not entirely true. Yes, there will never be a huge number of people playing EQ emulated, but the open source (eqemu) is pretty primitive. The difference between eqemu source and p99 is night and day.

What the EQ emu scene needs today are fresh servers that rotate through the classic expansions on a proper timeline. Servers with 7 years of mudflation, twinks as far as the eye can see, and 90% of the population competing for raid content is no longer a proper emulation of the EQ experience. So yes, there's not many people playing.

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 1:22 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Liav said:

Not entirely true. Yes, there will never be a huge number of people playing EQ emulated, but the open source (eqemu) is pretty primitive. The difference between eqemu source and p99 is night and day.

What the EQ emu scene needs today are fresh servers that rotate through the classic expansions on a proper timeline. Servers with 7 years of mudflation, twinks as far as the eye can see, and 90% of the population competing for raid content is no longer a proper emulation of the EQ experience. So yes, there's not many people playing.

Dunno, how many times can people play Classic-Velious before they're over it? I honestly think this new TLP that DBG is releasing is going to fail because there aren't nearly as many people as DBG thinks there is hiding in the woodwork to play Classic all over again.

I think EQ is reaching the end of its shelf life, personally. Phinigel is probably the last of it for me.

• 9 posts
    January 8, 2017 2:16 PM PST

Liav said:

I think EQ is reaching the end of its shelf life, personally. Phinigel is probably the last of it for me.

I'm with you Liav. My buddy and I jumped on Phinigel when it opened after a long break from EQ. We've recently migrated to Project 1999. I have a strong sense between us and a couple of other real life friends who joined us to take a new go at P99 is that this is our last rodeo in EverQuest. We are ready to Pantheon. 

• 1303 posts
    January 8, 2017 2:16 PM PST

Liav said:

Dullahan said:

Liav said:

Dunno, how many times can people play Classic-Velious before they're over it? I honestly think this new TLP that DBG is releasing is going to fail because there aren't nearly as many people as DBG thinks there is hiding in the woodwork to play Classic all over again.

I dont disagree, but can you at least acknowledge that 18 years of shelf life is a pretty damn good run? 

And if there's a reason for a TLC server to fail, the best one to come to mind is that it's a TLC server. 

• 200 posts
    January 8, 2017 2:18 PM PST

Ashes of creation seems to be a rip off from EQ Next. David Georgeson is also on board.

http://www.ashesofcreation.com/

Greetings

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 2:46 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

I dont disagree, but can you at least acknowledge that 18 years of shelf life is a pretty damn good run? 

And if there's a reason for a TLC server to fail, the best one to come to mind is that it's a TLC server.

Never said it wasn't. EQ is a wonderful game that holds wonderful memories for me. It's had an amazing run.

However, I will defend TLPs by saying that they are far and away the best iteration of EQ I've played since actual classic.

• 9115 posts
    January 8, 2017 4:00 PM PST

We actually already have a thread about Landmark, titled "Landmark" in the off topic section, which is where I have moved this thread too, I will also have to close it as it is a duplicate thread, please carry on any further discussion in the original Landmark thread.

Also, please refrain from arguing over opinions of other games, this is a Pantheon development site, not your typical gaming site and we like to keep things Pantheon related to help us build our game, as much as the closing of Landmark saddens us, we have work to do on our own game.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4940/landmark

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 8, 2017 4:02 PM PST