Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Landmark

• 3016 posts
    January 12, 2017 11:23 AM PST

I've uninstalled Landmark ..so much for that.  

• 69 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:08 AM PST

The only good thing that happened (for me) from my experience with Landmark was that it led me to Pantheon.

I was very excited when I first saw the announcement for EQN/Landmark and I immediately backed it. It wasn't until they announced the cancellation for EQN that I started digging around and found a post about Pantheon which led me here last March (2016). So in that regard I don't consider it a loss at all, glad to be here patiently waiting for Pantheon. :)

-Jexxy

• 69 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:10 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

The way I look at it, they are acquiring bundles of games and then quickly weeding out the ones that are not profitable endeavors. This also allows them to focus their efforts on the other games. In which case, that's actually a good business move and I don't expect them to fall apart anytime soon, but who knows. It seems like they are actually slowly taking over the industry. That said, I'm still not a big fan of them as I view them primarily as selfish cashgrabbers with poor customer service. I understand anyone in a particular business is in it to make money, but I think they step on too many people's toes in the process.

I also read that they are still interested in expanding the EQ franchise, but I'm obviously not holding my breath. Things are constantly changing and even if they do actually make an effort to do so, there's no way of knowing if it'll be good or if their audience won't even be interested because their reputation is beyond repair. We'll see, but I'm happy to have my focus shifted on Pantheon. With Brad having been a designer in EQ's golden era, it still seems like EQ's legacy is still being carried out here in a way so I still feel right at home.

Well said and I very much agree with this statement, the future of EverQuest is right here in Pantheon! :)

-Jexxy

• 69 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:08 AM PST

With the announcement of Landmark being shuttered there are lots of great Pantheon evangelism opportunities - so many forums where people are publicly debating giving up on ever seeing another MMO worth investing their time in, many have no idea of what is being built right here by our beloved P:ROTF team... :)

-Jexxy

• 780 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:17 AM PST

Nice!  Were there really that many people still playing Landmark, though?

• 69 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:19 AM PST

No, not actively, but the announcement of LM's sunsetting is just another blow to the DBG community that has been waiting for the next EQ installment. They are hungry for something that feels like that first EQ or EQ2 experience. 

-Jexxy

• 2886 posts
    January 15, 2017 11:42 AM PST

jexx said:

With the announcement of Landmark being shuttered there are lots of great Pantheon evangelism opportunities - so many forums where people are publicly debating giving up on ever seeing another MMO worth investing their time in, many have no idea of what is being built right here by our beloved P:ROTF team... :)

-Jexxy

This is a very good point. Send out the missionaries! lol

• 160 posts
    January 16, 2017 1:38 AM PST

Beefcake said:

I had so much hope the EQNext that Landmark was eventually supposed to become.

Everquest was the greatest franchise ever. Hopefully Pantheon can become greater.

When I heard EQNext was coming out, I literally spent $2,600 the next week on a new ultra-ridiculous gaming rig so I would be ready.

The joke was on me.  Oh well, at least I never gave any money to the clown who tanked that franchise.  I still have the PC.

This post was edited by corpserunner at January 16, 2017 1:38 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 9:19 AM PST

corpserunner said:

Beefcake said:

I had so much hope the EQNext that Landmark was eventually supposed to become.

Everquest was the greatest franchise ever. Hopefully Pantheon can become greater.

When I heard EQNext was coming out, I literally spent $2,600 the next week on a new ultra-ridiculous gaming rig so I would be ready.

The joke was on me.  Oh well, at least I never gave any money to the clown who tanked that franchise.  I still have the PC.

And positive thinking here,  you are more than ready to test and play Pantheon. :)

• 213 posts
    January 28, 2017 7:55 AM PST

I would say I'm actually one of the few people who was enthusiastic and hopeful of Landmark.  I also had a great time building inside it.  I loved the endless creative outlet it was for me.  I Just think that they didnt have enough game to go with their building tools.  I think if they could have sucessfully combined the two and the tools had been more intuative for the average person it might have done better. I also loved the ability to talk with the game designers occasionally in game which was something unique to Landmark and it was really cool.

When they annouced EQNEXT was done I think that put the nail in the coffin for many people who supported Landmark to begin with.  Landmark was many people's gateway to EQNEXT since they built it up to be the tool that people could use to make things that might find their way in the final game. 

It's really a bummer the game failed I had a very fun time while it lasted, especially pre-alpha, I just hope another game comes along that takes what was good about it and adds some game to it as well.

Here is some video footage of one of my builds while I was there.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vop0bfU_jE

This game had so much potential, it's crushing to me, really.. Heartbreaking.

This post was edited by Gamerchick at January 31, 2017 2:46 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 23, 2017 8:16 AM PST

Landmark is officially history: http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/22/devs-and-players-say-farewell-to-landmark-and-the-last-remnants-of-everquest-next/

RIP

Hopefully this means more people immigrating to Pantheon.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 27, 2017 8:04 AM PST
    • 142 posts
    February 23, 2017 9:24 AM PST

When this game was in Alpha, it was fantastic. SOE/Daybreak made so many misteps in its development. Its frustrating to see the potential of this game wasted by those mistakes.

Watching that closing video makes me sad. I had some good times over the past few years in that game. Its the first time I actually connected with a gaming community since EQ.

• 3016 posts
    February 26, 2017 1:50 PM PST

I was so on board with Landmark originally...I looked at their Player Studio plans..and thought that's brilliant!   And I was also awaiting news of EQNext.   From what I had understood,  Landmark would be the step up to getting into EQNext,  what happened..well I don't know ..I bought into Landmark,  backed Camelot Unchained..and then Pantheon showed up in my rear view mirror.  lol   Stop! Turn this car around..got on board the Pantheon bus, and haven't looked back since :)

• 80 posts
    March 20, 2017 2:59 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

So they're sunsetting yet another game...good grief.   I did buy this one but lost interest.  So I wonder how long before they do this same number on their remaining games?    

H1Z1 is a cash cow for them, especially since it's split into 2 games.

• 220 posts
    March 22, 2017 4:28 PM PDT

@Makinelly Its not only because H1Z1 is split into 2 games.  Almost immediately after the purchase of SOE, daybreak hired some ex-eSports developers in an effort to cash in on the eSports market.   Its a good business move, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention at the buyout, as the eSports market pulls in $500 million anually. 

I read also recently also that they got a pretty big broadcasting contract for the next H1Z1 tournament with a prize pool over $1million.  I think this secret title they are working on will likely be another iteration of H1Z1 king of the hill, or even a new IP all together.  

In the end, I think columbus nova really wanted into the eSports market, so they made their move and are now looking to stay profitable based on eSports revenue.  All daybreak needs to do is rebrand itself, which it is. By alienating their MMO followers, and expanding their H1Z1 activities (650K users a month) they are simply changing their audience before they blow everyone away with some LoL killer. I dont think they will sunset all of their MMO's, especially since they went in as publisher for DDO and LOTRO, but I was expecting them to add those games to all access. 

I think landmark wasn't profitable because lumens were available in game, so noone really needed to use the cash shop, and they couldnt figure out how to force CS purchases without destroying the fanbase.

• 257 posts
    March 22, 2017 9:46 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

jexx said:

-Jexxy

This is a very good point. Send out the missionaries! lol

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

• 10 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:12 AM PDT
    My only wish is that I could take the money I spent on EQN Landmarks founders pack and move it to Pantheon. I was blinded by the shiney name "Everquest" that I didn't bother to see that it wasn't by Brad and company.