Forums » The Dark Myr

Myr - Mammals or Fish?

• 1648 posts
    December 30, 2016 3:58 PM PST

Live birth or eggs?

• 70 posts
    December 30, 2016 7:43 PM PST

haha... unfortunately live birth vs eggs doesn't determine Mammal from fish.  Platypus is a mammal that lays eggs and guppies, mollies and other like fish give live birth. 

• 1648 posts
    December 30, 2016 8:19 PM PST

Definition of mammal

: any of a class (Mammalia) of warm-blooded higher vertebrates (as placentals, marsupials, or monotremes) that nourish their young with milk secreted by mammary glands, have the skin usually more or less covered with hair, and include humans

The question still remains.

Mammal or not? Live birth or eggs?

Call it two questions if you must.

• 70 posts
    December 30, 2016 8:25 PM PST

I was thinking about the Myr earlier today and two visions came into my head.  The original aquaman with the orange and green suit... and the new aquaman played by Jason Momoa.  I am glad that I can only imaging if the Myr resemble aquaman at all, it will be this one:  www.youtube.com%25252Fwatch%25253Fv%2525253Dm49HcsB8V8o&source=iu&pf=m&fir=utiIxBVWo0WFDM%253A%252C7rOIDI3MmjBwQM%252C_&usg=__MCb3RV0vfOk4gIE1pLtjkQ_BG5Y%3D&biw=1368&bih=1299&ved=0ahUKEwjZ_a6CzZ3RAhXGRCYKHZYvBScQyjcINQ&ei=_TRnWJmLCcaJmQGW35S4Ag#imgrc=utiIxBVWo0WFDM%3A">Jason Momoa

• 1648 posts
    December 30, 2016 8:30 PM PST

Well, they are Dark Myr. Can't see them in an orange suit and green undies.

• 1177 posts
    December 31, 2016 10:04 AM PST

I'm going to guess fish because I see scales in art we have been given.  I'll go with live birth.

• 208 posts
    February 7, 2017 4:31 PM PST

Based off the fact the females have breasts (and slightly widened "femanine" hips based on the art) I'm going to assume live birth and nursing their young.  This could just be an artistic license to show femanine form in the female of the species but there is no biological reasoning for them to be drawn that way unless it's for child birth and feeding.

As for fish or mammal, from the way I read the lore section on them, it seems their 2 forced evolutions gave them legs and took away water breathing from the race except for the Nythirian Red who can still breathe underwater; therefore they wouldn't count as fish any more but would that make them changed into mammals?

The removal of water breathing is shown, imo, by the lines:

" I could only lie still, my body just beginning to lose the deep cold of a life beneath the waves. Yet I could not stop from weeping.”.

And

" I could not even move my face as the surf rolled with perfect calm over my nose and mouth. Though I dared not drown, for such a twisted fate that would have been."

(Or it could've just been artistic liberties taken by the lore writer, but I've noticed nobody else has really pointed this possibility out that I've seen so figure it's worth mentioning incase it comes to pass the aquatic origins race isn't quite so aquatic anymore)

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 7, 2017 4:56 PM PST
    • 1177 posts
    February 7, 2017 8:05 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Based off the fact the females have breasts (and slightly widened "femanine" hips based on the art) I'm going to assume live birth and nursing their young.  This could just be an artistic license to show femanine form in the female of the species but there is no biological reasoning for them to be drawn that way unless it's for child birth and feeding.

As for fish or mammal, from the way I read the lore section on them, it seems their 2 forced evolutions gave them legs and took away water breathing from the race except for the Nythirian Red who can still breathe underwater; therefore they wouldn't count as fish any more but would that make them changed into mammals?

The removal of water breathing is shown, imo, by the lines:

" I could only lie still, my body just beginning to lose the deep cold of a life beneath the waves. Yet I could not stop from weeping.”.

And

" I could not even move my face as the surf rolled with perfect calm over my nose and mouth. Though I dared not drown, for such a twisted fate that would have been."

(Or it could've just been artistic liberties taken by the lore writer, but I've noticed nobody else has really pointed this possibility out that I've seen so figure it's worth mentioning incase it comes to pass the aquatic origins race isn't quite so aquatic anymore)

Interesting.  Is it only the Nythirian Red who can breathe underwater and have the fish tails then?  The way I interpreted the lore, all of the Dark Myr had developed the ability to breathe the water on Terminus by the current age.  Maybe they can all breathe water, but only the Nythirian Red have fish tails?  Breasts would definitely indicate that they are mammals since that's where the word 'mammal' comes from, but maybe on Terminus they have different classes of vertebrates.  Who knows?

• 2968 posts
    February 18, 2017 2:43 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Definition of mammal

: any of a class (Mammalia) of warm-blooded higher vertebrates (as placentals, marsupials, or monotremes) that nourish their young with milk secreted by mammary glands, have the skin usually more or less covered with hair, and include humans

The question still remains.

Mammal or not? Live birth or eggs?

Call it two questions if you must.

I believe the female Dark Myr has mammary glands..but who knows she might lay eggs. :D

• 2968 posts
    February 18, 2017 2:44 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Well, they are Dark Myr. Can't see them in an orange suit and green undies.

Why not? :)

• 293 posts
    February 19, 2017 7:04 PM PST

I must admit that I can see them in Greenish blue suits and orangish red undies just to put the image out there :P

• 293 posts
    March 6, 2017 3:46 PM PST

Now onto the question at hand...  I suspect they are more mammalian than fish.  With the lore that we have so far it is stated that one of the Dieties gave their life to alter the myr enough to breath once in Terminus.  I can't remember if it specifies breath air or just breath, I know it specified that she gave her imoortality up so that the bodies of the Myr could be adapted/changed to fit the new world they were on. *shrugs* for that matter it could be breathing both because the air in Terminus is not like the air that was on the Myr's homeworld so the lore could mean both types of breathing. 

• 2968 posts
    April 4, 2017 11:33 AM PDT

well at first if I remember right...the waters of Terminus were poisonous to the Myr.   (Deity name Syronais??)  Forgive me if I have that wrong.  So their Deity sacrificed herself so that the Myr could survive in the waters of Terminus.    I do believe they are amphibious,   (breathe underwater ..walk on land)    that's what the picture showed, if you flashed your mouse across the picture,  you would get the tail or the legs.    No clue if that has changed or is going to change.

Quoted from Lore:   

- From the Testimony of Amorthus Osir

With her people still in harm’s keep, Syronai rushed to help the Myr, concentrating her power to transform and adapt the bodies she had created long ago. Yet mysteriously her aid was kept at bay. Sickened with grief as she watched her people perishing, the brave goddess gambled on another, more perilous chance: leveraging the essence of her immortality to recreate the Myr anew, even giving them a lung by which to breathe (original text said breath...SHOULD BE BREATHE) on land and legs with which to walk. In a brilliant moment of sacrifice, the miraculous exchange saved the Myr, transforming them forever. But as the exhausted High Mortal collapsed on the shore of Terminus, the crisis she averted wrought a fate far worse.

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 4, 2017 11:38 AM PDT
    • 176 posts
    May 13, 2017 1:01 AM PDT

The Myr now have legs instead of tails, and lungs instead of gills...that was the change Syronai made so they could survive out of the water.

So no, they can not breathe underwater.  Though even with legs, they are likely far better swimmers than the average biped.

The Red Myr are exactly like them physically, though they choose to live in/under the ocean, out of pure defiance and desire to keep the old ways.

This is how I interpreted the Lore.

• 1648 posts
    May 13, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

If you look at the race page, you can toggle back and forth between legs and tail by clicking on the lady.

That gives me hope that they may change when in/out of water.

• 2968 posts
    May 13, 2017 8:20 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

If you look at the race page, you can toggle back and forth between legs and tail by clicking on the lady.

That gives me hope that they may change when in/out of water.

Yup Beefcake I noted that too...if that is the case that would make them amphibious.   Keeping my fingers crossed in that regard too. :)

• 1648 posts
    May 14, 2017 3:17 PM PDT

I am hoping for amphibious.

• 22 posts
    December 17, 2017 10:24 AM PST

It sounds like the Myr were changed to adapt to the world of Terminus to me.  This passage I found specifically important.

Nythir’s Guard tore into her as if she were a threat, vengeance raw and without gratitude. In their hearts Syronai had participated in her own slaughter by violating their bodies, as Myr and as warriors. She had dishonored them, and far too late we understood just how prepared to die our protector brothers had been.

Nythir's Guard sounds like a special group of warriors.  They were changed as well and so enraged they killed Syronai.

Then there's this part -

The Nythirian Red disappeared into the sea, searching for the means to return to true Myr form.  The Nythirian Red disappeared into the sea, searching for the means to return to true Myr form. Their brethren were left to pick up the fragments of their past, hoping to fuse them into a future.

The Nythirian Red (or Dread Myr) makes it sound like there's a split in the race.  Most likely the Dread Myr will be vicious mobs to fight in the future and have stories tied to them.

Now whether they are evil or not.  It looks like they blame a 'creature' called Ermos.  It's interesting because they don't refer to him as a God, although the power they suggest he might have certainly sounds Godlike.  To me it sounds like Ermos is seen like 'Mother Earth' for Terminus by the Myr.  They blame him for doing nothing while all this happened.  It's important because this could taint how the Myr see the other races.  Perhaps they will be spiteful, as they might see the other races as being more favored by Ermos.  That type of resentment and spite could very well knock them into the 'evil' category.  

This post was edited by quietus at December 17, 2017 10:26 AM PST