Forums » The Ranger

Ranger Tents

• 402 posts
    December 28, 2016 6:59 AM PST

Ive been wondering for awhile now if the ranger would have any tents or campfires to deploy. I recently cam across this post (link), and this give me a bit of hope for the ranger class. I often play scout or ranger type classes in MMO’s, but my most enjoyable time was in Star wars galaxies as a Ranger.

The ability to setup camp in the wild allowed me to play at my leisure collecting skins for trade, while at the same time providing a rest stop for anyone passing though. I very much enjoy a sandbox style of gameplay, and to me this skill is vital for a ranger to truly come alive. During my time as a ranger in SWG, I spent the vast majority of my game time out in the wild, hunting, skinning and even recruiting for the guild.

The tent for a Ranger is one of the things that I consider to be a “watering Hole”. A game mechanic that naturally funnels players together forming friendship's. It’s been my experience that interactions though these more casual encounters build greater, longer lasting Friendship's.

A very different experience over queuing up for a dungeon where nearly everyone thats artificially picked for you is sullied with their own agendas.

Now I don’t expects to see any futuristic camps like SWG had, but I’m sure many genre/period appropriate styles could be achieved.

I can tell you for myself at least, this is one feature that would completely sell me on playing a ranger. Hanging out in the woods for hours killing game for skins or XP is time well spent, and far more sociable than one would expect.

• 582 posts
    December 28, 2016 8:05 AM PST

I actually like the idea of rangers/druids and possibly even a couple others having these types of abilities. They could tie them into maybe foraging skills and tailoring (for tent parts maybe) so that rangers/druids could build campfires and/or tents (wilderness only. Not indoors). Maybe those campfires would give a small boost to hp/mana recovery when the group is nearby. Tents would give a bigger boost when resting/out of combat. Adds another level of RP and realism to the game. 

• 29 posts
    December 28, 2016 8:50 AM PST

I am all for giving something to Rangers to make them more desirable.   This really ties in well with nature playing an impact on the group party.

• 24 posts
    December 28, 2016 10:39 AM PST

I loved SWG's Scout and Ranger camps.  I think they are a great idea to put into Pantheon.

Every class should bring something unique and flashy to the table.

• 402 posts
    December 30, 2016 6:00 AM PST

Morr said:

I loved SWG's Scout and Ranger camps.  I think they are a great idea to put into Pantheon.

Every class should bring something unique and flashy to the table.

Absolutely, in fact of all the MMO’s Ive played SWG had the best overall Ranger setup.

• 9 posts
    January 1, 2017 8:35 AM PST
    I would love camps setup with fire and locked storage, tent etc great for cooking and storage. Then have a donkey to help carry your goods to town to sell or craft
    • 4416 posts
    January 3, 2017 7:22 AM PST

I think this is a really cool idea and to some degree, probably falls under the housing system that Brad has planned for the future. I can definitely imagine a permanent or semi-permanent outpost that groups of rangers or druids can set up and expand upon to serve as a rest stop for adventurers out in the wild to sell, bank, repair, buy food, etc.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 3, 2017 7:23 AM PST
    • 402 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:25 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I think this is a really cool idea and to some degree, probably falls under the housing system that Brad has planned for the future. I can definitely imagine a permanent or semi-permanent outpost that groups of rangers or druids can set up and expand upon to serve as a rest stop for adventurers out in the wild to sell, bank, repair, buy food, etc.

I would certainly love to see rangers get some sorta outpost housing option for permanent locations, but that’s not what this post is about. Temporary campsites/tents similar to SWG rangers for healing ect.., if I recall correctly they had a 15 min time limit, is more fitting for the outdoor experience.