Forums » The Druid

Druid Heals

• 47 posts
    December 23, 2016 10:01 PM PST
    I like how EQ2 handled the druid heals by chain casting multiple heals over time, setting them apart from clerics and shamans, with the right gear and done right they can make amazing healers(critical heals ftw). In EQ1 it was just a weaker cleric and lacked it's identity. Shards of Dalaya they mixed between the two, druids have an ancient HOT they can chain with relic HOT while still having emergency patch heal and big 75% CH type. It was still a good idea. I hope that in Pantheon they also have an identity of their own when it comes to heals and they are not just a weaker cleric.
    • 408 posts
    December 24, 2016 3:26 AM PST

I definately agree with you Neon, would love to see different styles of healing for each of the Healer classes. Not suggesting that they should be comparable to a Cleric in heals, just some different flavour spells which go with the class identity.

What I still find extremely refreshing about EQ is that you could have all healing classes in a group and they offer different enough utility to make them all useful (heals / snare / slows / evac / malo etc). This is such a positive point of class design to me and I am sure Pantheon will carry on and improve upon this.

• 1789 posts
    December 24, 2016 2:20 PM PST

Hoping the various healers are all good and useful. I dont want raids of all clerics competing for the same gear, spells, etc.

• 272 posts
    December 24, 2016 2:55 PM PST

Regarding how I hope each healer goes, to avoid "every healer heals as good as each other spell to spell" blandness.  Because if every heals blasts the same HP  per second why have different healer classes?

Raids: I figure clerics will be the "tank healer" for raids, shm will handle hots and cures and druids will have long term regens and quick cast or AE heals for non tanks who catch ripostes.  Everyone has a use and a role to play in raid settings that coincides with XP group play style for the class.

Grouping: clerics will cast a few big heals, druids will spam fast heals on top of long term Regen spells (and possibly damage shields on tanks to speed kills) and shm will slow mobs and cast hots to heal while the mob hits way less offen.  

Example how  all 3 balance out, different styles all able to heal equally well but in various ways (not all casting the same 500 pt heal with one cast):. Assume the tank takes 500 damage in 10 sec of melee.

Cleric heals for 800 in one spell that takes 10 sec to cast.  The cleric also has a HP/ac buff reducing the tanks DMG taken and increasing HP pool.  In this scenario the tank only has taken 450 HP DMG and has 200 more HP due to cleric buff.   More orderly, less spammy heals.

Druid has a Regen that heals 20 per sec and spams 2 5 sec cast 200 heals.  In this cast the druid has a damage shield so in the 3 hits the tank took to have 500 DMG taken, the mob has taken 90 damage and dies faster.

Shaman slows the mob 50% so in that time the tank only takes 250 damage and the shm casts a 7 second to cast heal for 300.  Also the shaman has reduced the mobs resists by 30 on incoming  so the wizard in the group lands spells for more damage.  

..All in 10 seconds of combat)

• 462 posts
    January 17, 2017 4:39 AM PST

If the atmospheres feature is in, then Druids will have a fairly significant positive effect in regard to getting through atmosphere-centric content. In the most recent twitch stream (December 2016), those atomospheres really took a toll on the group. Instead of open-heart surgery, sometimes prevention is the best medicine.

• 4172 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:55 AM PST

OakKnower said:

If the atmospheres feature is in, then Druids will have a fairly significant positive effect in regard to getting through atmosphere-centric content. In the most recent twitch stream (December 2016), those atomospheres really took a toll on the group. Instead of open-heart surgery, sometimes prevention is the best medicine.

Definitely a good point. A lot of times, damage prevention > damage recovery. The more I think about it, it would be pretty interesting if Druids had more shielding spells than heals. And by that I mean, buffs that increase your current HP, but not your max HP. Kinda like damage absorption. I'm thinking along the "Ward of Vie" line of spells from EQ, but with more variety and a nature-y twist. For example:

Barrier of Bark:

Target: Ally, Self
    Level: 13
    Duration: 15 min or 100 dmg

"Absorb the next 100 melee damage."

Stony Aegis:

Level: 18
    Duration: 5 min or 200 dmg

"Decrease incoming damage and healing by 5% from all sources. Absorb the next 200 damage."

Elemental Sanctum:

Level: 24
    Duration: 30 mins or 250 dmg

"Target is unaffected by climates. Absorb the next 250 damage from elemental sources."

These are obviously made up numbers, but I think you see what I mean. It's a more proactive, anticipatory style of "healing." I think it would be cool if Druids had more of these types of spells and less of traditional heals - leave those to the Cleric, Crusader, etc. - helps better define roles :) Perhaps this could also better fit a Ranger.

• 190 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:56 AM PST

They had an identity of sorts in EQ1.  It was the traveler.  They were the best at getting around and probably the sencond or third best at soloing.  They also had a lot more utility than other healers and that is not something I would want to sacrifice for better heals.  It was great that the Druid was able to heal, direct damage, damage over time, snare, root, port, damage shield, etc.  They did have a heal over time that was fairly powerful.  They also eventually got skin like nature which gave them a long deration heal over time.  I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in the class.  The Druid was one of my favorite classes in EQ1.

• 15 posts
    January 24, 2017 11:16 AM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

They had an identity of sorts in EQ1.  It was the traveler.  They were the best at getting around and probably the sencond or third best at soloing.  They also had a lot more utility than other healers and that is not something I would want to sacrifice for better heals.  It was great that the Druid was able to heal, direct damage, damage over time, snare, root, port, damage shield, etc.  They did have a heal over time that was fairly powerful.  They also eventually got skin like nature which gave them a long deration heal over time.  I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in the class.  The Druid was one of my favorite classes in EQ1.

We got Skin like *** spells from level 1, they had a regen component not HoT and eventually got a mana regen aspect at higher levels, only HoT we got was via an AA called Spirit of the wood or something like that, think we could then also spend AA to make it a single target powerful direct heal with a powerful HoT , I don't recall us getting any spells that were HoT's except our regen line which was pretty rubbish HPS considering the HP of peoples toons , we also got a reptile types healing proc but that got badly nurfed and wasn't really worth the mana to cast for 600hp heal proc. been a while since I played my druid though so I maybe wrong..

All of the priests in Pantheon need to be able to heal equally well via different means, we need to move away from the 80% healing of a cleric as that isn't a valid in today's MMO's imho as healers are healers, Difficulty in healing should come from the Priests play style and not restricted in HPS output, if they did do the 80% then we would need to ability to reduce incoming damage by 20% 

• 82 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:10 PM PST

Unique healing styles should definately be the way to go among the priest classes.  However, I'm partial to clerics having the stronger heals though, at least until we have a better look at Patheons plan for Clerics.  I've not played VG and will admit my view will be skewed towards EQ druids(because thats what I know).  Clerics had little else besides their heals and rezzes.  The utility outside of healing or turning undead was laughable.  That's a lot to give up to have "the best heals".  On the other hand druids had excellent CC, decent buffs, great mobility, DoT's that allowed us to solo, and good enough heals.  Shamans were in the same boat as far of healing is concerned, just a different utility.  So long as I have the tools to keep my group alive I don't mind that I'm not healing the Main Tank in raids.

This post was edited by Lortex at February 6, 2017 9:12 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    February 7, 2017 10:46 AM PST

There lies the problem, if the Cleric has better heals than any of the other priests types, then the other priest types are not going to be sought after to fill the healers spot in the quad. healing output needs to be roughly the same or as I've said before we will be stuck like we where in EQ, especially in hard content groups will wait to fill the healers spot with what is classed as  the best healer , Keep the priests all healing the same amount in parse/output but by different means/styles but then further give them uniqueness by the utility they can bring to the table, all priests also need to Rez, rebirth what ever name you want to call it the same or very similer amounts.  Why should one priest heal better than the others , just because they are called a Cleric, shaman or Druid. My view anyhow.. think I'm going to be saying this a lot, why should a cleric heal better, why though.. ;-p

• 4172 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:25 AM PST

rossjb said:

There lies the problem, if the Cleric has better heals than any of the other priests types, then the other priest types are not going to be sought after to fill the healers spot in the quad. healing output needs to be roughly the same or as I've said before we will be stuck like we where in EQ, especially in hard content groups will wait to fill the healers spot with what is classed as  the best healer , Keep the priests all healing the same amount in parse/output but by different means/styles but then further give them uniqueness by the utility they can bring to the table, all priests also need to Rez, rebirth what ever name you want to call it the same or very similer amounts.  Why should one priest heal better than the others , just because they are called a Cleric, shaman or Druid. My view anyhow.. think I'm going to be saying this a lot, why should a cleric heal better, why though.. ;-p

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but from the Cleric class reveal: "To his core, the Cleric is focused on healing himself and his allies, and in this role he has no equal."

This really makes it sound like the Cleric will be the best healer across the board. Not sure what the implications for that are, but I don't think it necessarily means that no group will be complete without a Cleric. There could still be some content where having top notch heals is overkill and perhaps debuffs would be more advantageous. Of course, you'd still need some healing, so maybe a Shaman would actually be a better fit for the support role than a Cleric in that case. I have mained a Cleric is several others games partly because they are usually in high demand, so it makes it easier for me to find groups and therefore level up faster. I plan to do the same in Pantheon. From a lore perspective, it makes sense that Clerics be the best healers. But of course, I still realize it is also important that supply and demand be taken into consideration, so I'm curious to see how this plays out. But I don't think it's inherently a bad thing.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 7, 2017 11:25 AM PST
    • 272 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:38 AM PST

I'm pretty sure numerically, based on purely amount of damage healed per cast cleric will trump all.  This will probably be tempered by:

Druid environmental manipulation and damage shields meaning mobs die faster so tank takes less damage by end of fight.

Shaman casts slow and debuffs.  Mob hits less often (UpTo 75% less at end game let's say) and hits for less per hit.

End of the day all 3 heal equally well.  It doesn't matter if one heals by overheating by default, one by increasing DPS and one with massive passive mitigation.  All scenarios the tank doesn't due and everyone gets XP.

So on a mob that hits fast and light the druid would actually be more effective (faster hits = more DS damage meaning less healing needed).

Against a juggernaut that hits slow and huge, the shaman trumps due to making it hit even slower and for less damage, reducing amount needing to be healed.

Cleric would be the generalist, actually at a disadvantage numerically possibly, needing bigger heals to offset lack of DS and debuffs.

It's not a hard concept, yet it balances everything.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 7, 2017 11:39 AM PST
    • 1192 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:40 AM PST

rossjb said:

Why should one priest heal better than the others

There is always going to be one method that is considered "better" by people.

Lets use a theoretical example:

Assuming all other things are equal, lets say a clerics biggest spell has a 10 second cast time and heals 10 hit points.  The druids best heal is a heal over time that has an instant cast time and heals 1 hit point per second for 10 seconds with a 10 second refresh time.

Theoretically those are balanced as far as amount healed per second over 10 seconds. 

In most situations the druid heal over time is superior because the druid has options to do other things during the 10 second refresh time while the cleric is stuck casting.  Either way, if the mob is doing 2 or more dps to one player, the healer can't keep up.  The druid would be able to help kill the mob quicker in this situation making them "better".

In order for there to be "A requirement that classes have identities." there has to be differences.  With differences there will always be an opinion that one option is better than another for a specific situation. 

I don't see a way around it unless you blur the lines between a classes individual identity.   

This post was edited by philo at February 7, 2017 12:14 PM PST
    • 272 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:59 PM PST

Let's just look at the 2 healer class reveals listed sofar:

• Ability Arsenal:
       The Clerics have mastered the restorative arts of their Order, allowing them to use their many potent healing abilities. Thus empowered, Clerics excel in most forms of healing, including: Self, Target, Group and Raid-oriented abilities. Clerics also have a variety of other healing powers, including: Direct, Heal-Over-Time, and Heal-On-Hit. In addition to healing, Clerics also excel in defensive support using ethereal armors and signet blessings

Ability Arsenal: The Shaman makes a pact with a Totem, a fount of primordial energies echoing across time from Terminus’ past. They are adept at healing, purification, and enhancing the physical attributes of themselves and their allies, but it’s the Shaman’s ability to debilitate and curse their foes that makes them a force to be reckoned with. As a Shaman grows in power, they come ever closer to emulating the very forces they channel

Pretty much tells me shaman heal for less because they Excel at, their focus is, debuffs and dillute the mobs power to offset that lesser heal, while the cleric has to decide what heal is more suited per encounter.   I expect druid to be similar to shaman with an emphasis on either cc or damage amplification (lower mob resists, environment shifting and damage shields).   Doesn't make a druid or shaman a lesseffective healer. It makes them a different class from the cleric.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 7, 2017 1:01 PM PST
    • 324 posts
    February 7, 2017 4:28 PM PST

Xilshale said:

• Ability Arsenal:
       The Clerics have mastered the restorative arts of their Order, allowing them to use their many potent healing abilities. Thus empowered, Clerics excel in most forms of healing, including: Self, Target, Group and Raid-oriented abilities. Clerics also have a variety of other healing powers, including: Direct, Heal-Over-Time, and Heal-On-Hit. In addition to healing, Clerics also excel in defensive support using ethereal armors and signet blessings

Ability Arsenal: The Shaman makes a pact with a Totem, a fount of primordial energies echoing across time from Terminus’ past. They are adept at healing, purification, and enhancing the physical attributes of themselves and their allies, but it’s the Shaman’s ability to debilitate and curse their foes that makes them a force to be reckoned with. As a Shaman grows in power, they come ever closer to emulating the very forces they channel

Pretty much tells me shaman heal for less because they Excel at, their focus is, debuffs and dillute the mobs power to offset that lesser heal, while the cleric has to decide what heal is more suited per encounter.   I expect druid to be similar to shaman with an emphasis on either cc or damage amplification (lower mob resists, environment shifting and damage shields).   Doesn't make a druid or shaman a lesseffective healer. It makes them a different class from the cleric.

+1

• 167 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:40 PM PST

Xilshale said:

• Ability Arsenal:

If druids function as a CC, I dont think they will be able to be a MH for any group.  It would be way to difficult to heal and CC. 

• 272 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:57 AM PST

Not really.  Did you play vanguard or anarchy online?  The dual targeting system actually makes it pretty decently streamline.  The only time it'd get really dicey would be during a cc expire (root or pacification let's say) while you just started casting a long cast heal.  You'd have to stay on top of your game but it'd be doable (Mana being the limiting factor).  I expected this to be more damage amplification than cc but I gave it as an example above because it could work.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 8, 2017 6:58 AM PST
    • 190 posts
    February 8, 2017 3:27 PM PST

rossjb said:

UnknownQuantity said:

We got Skin like *** spells from level 1, they had a regen component not HoT and eventually got a mana regen aspect at higher levels, only HoT we got was via an AA called Spirit of the wood or something like that, think we could then also spend AA to make it a single target powerful direct heal with a powerful HoT , I don't recall us getting any spells that were HoT's except our regen line which was pretty rubbish HPS considering the HP of peoples toons , we also got a reptile types healing proc but that got badly nurfed and wasn't really worth the mana to cast for 600hp heal proc. been a while since I played my druid though so I maybe wrong..

All of the priests in Pantheon need to be able to heal equally well via different means, we need to move away from the 80% healing of a cleric as that isn't a valid in today's MMO's imho as healers are healers, Difficulty in healing should come from the Priests play style and not restricted in HPS output, if they did do the 80% then we would need to ability to reduce incoming damage by 20% 

This is not entirely correct.  The Skin line gave HP and AC.  There were versions added in later expansions that gave regen (as you said) and I believe also a small damage shield.  Regen and Heal Over Time are basically the same thing.  I suppose you could argue Heal Over Time is something that is much faster and for a lot more.  The point is it healed you over time for a very long duration.

I would agree with people that the Druid was not as much wanted in groups, but they were a much more fun and versatile class to play in EQ.  They could help the group in a lot of different ways.  They could provide buffs like speed enhancement, wolf form, water breathing, levitation, etc.  They could play like a wizard nuking mobs if needed.  They could play like CC with snares, roots, and lulls.  They had a bit of everything including teleports.  

Personally I didn't care that the Cleric was the most sought after healer.  It was a very bland class.  It healed and meditated and that was mostly it.  Even the buffs were fairly boring as they just increased HP and AC.  When I think of Clerics I think of a holy warrior who wears plate and fights on the front lines with a melee weapon.  Heals are only one thing it can do.  In D&D Clerics had a much greater variety of spells available.

I don't want to see the Druid class become solely a healer so they will be coveted in groups.  That versatility is what made them an interesting class and the abilities they had been my idea of the type of abilities a Druid should have.  For instance transforming into wolves, turn their skin into wood/iron, small regenerating heals, powerful nature damage spells, roots and snares and insects to hinder their enemies, and illusion spells to hide them from view (superior camo).

• 83 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:27 PM PST

I liked the way the healing classes performed in Everquest I, especially around the time of the Shadows of Luclin expansion.  I have no issues with the cleric being the 'supreme healing' class.  What a druid lacked in healing power, was made up for with other utilities, such as evacuation spells, snare, spirit of the wolf, ect...

A few thoughts:

1)  All classes should provide value to groups, but that does not mean that classes should be equal.

As long as class development maintains consistency, then those who choose to play a particular class will know what type of play experience they are in for.  Gamers are all very diverse and enjoy different types of playstyles.  In Everquest I, Clerics should have known they would be highly sought after for their healing and resurrection abilities in groups, but that they would also likely have a tough time with soloing and travel.  Conversely, Druids should have known that they may not have been as highly sought after in a healing role, but could provide other value to groups, while at the same time having more soloing abilities.

2)  Classes should each provide for unique experiences.

Healing, Crowd Control, Tanking, Pulling or Splitting Mobs, Damage Dealer, Off-Tanking, and Porting to name a few, are all different types of roles that people may or may not enjoy.

3)  Class development should be kept on a consistent path, with as little class blurring or class overlap as possible.

Everquest I made a lot of design decisions in later years which began to simplify the game play, which sidelined a lot of the utility that various classes brought to the group.  Changing the way mana based characters regenerated mana de-emphasized enchanter mana regen buffs.  Expanding Mounts and Run Speed AA, gave movement utility to classes that were not originally intended and had the effect of de-emphasizing movement based buffs, such as Spirit of the Wolf.  Introducing portal stones in the Plane of Knowledge and then expanding upon that by having guild portals, de-emphasized wizard and druid porting abiltiies, as well as Bard based travel songs.  Over time, the game became less complex and class roles began to blurr.  The game became much less interdependent and thereby less challenging and social.

• 47 posts
    February 9, 2017 5:27 PM PST

I do not agree that the shaman should be a better healer than the druid. They should be in par or the druid have a hand over shaman. Shaman comes packed with slow and DPS buffs which means in a group scenario they need less heals, plus they have mana regen with canny. A group with druid main healer will require more and constant heals, no canny, and regen never was and never will be a valuable form of healing. For that reason I think EQ2 druid was very good example of how druid heals should be. Shards of Dalaya was very close also. At raids both clerics  heals main tank with big heals, druids do big HoTs that stack on main tank and have group HoTs and quick heals for group, shamans role at raid is not heals, they are patch healers, their primary role is land that debuff followed by a slow followed by a prayer that the main tank has enough agro THEN they patch heal main tank and group. I see lot of people want to place shamans heals over druids so that they can play their Shammy monk farming duo but that is just selfish.  Know your healer priorities: cleric, druid, shaman, paladin.

This post was edited by Neonseraphim at February 10, 2017 4:13 AM PST
    • 167 posts
    February 13, 2017 6:48 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Not really.  Did you play vanguard or anarchy online?  The dual targeting system actually makes it pretty decently streamline.  The only time it'd get really dicey would be during a cc expire (root or pacification let's say) while you just started casting a long cast heal.  You'd have to stay on top of your game but it'd be doable (Mana being the limiting factor).  I expected this to be more damage amplification than cc but I gave it as an example above because it could work.

I did play VG and EQ.  I had an epic psi and epic cleric in VG.  I also had an enc and cleric in EQ.  I couldn't imagine trying to do both those roles in a group and being successful for more then a few minutes unless you have a huge mana pool, or pulls were no more then 2 at a time.  If you had to MH and mez 3-4 mobs, I don't think you could do it without running out of mana. 

Plausible-yes.  Practical-no

• 281 posts
    February 14, 2017 8:44 AM PST

Great ideas guys, I am looking forward to what they do here, since my main will be a Druid rather than Cleric due to the class/race combinations.  It is extremely important that each class feels and plays differently, and they have a great opportunity to make the Druid into a valuable and exciting class to play.  Your ideas of damage shields, group heals, etc are all good ones.  Perhaps the group heal could be a smart heal that targets everyone, but if some group members aren't damaged, it heals the individuals that are for more hps.  The ability to change the climate etc is cool, but I would hope that it remains something useful, rather than becoming outmoded when all group members are at max climate mitigation. 

• 4172 posts
    February 14, 2017 9:50 AM PST

Rominian said:

Great ideas guys, I am looking forward to what they do here, since my main will be a Druid rather than Cleric due to the class/race combinations.  It is extremely important that each class feels and plays differently, and they have a great opportunity to make the Druid into a valuable and exciting class to play.  Your ideas of damage shields, group heals, etc are all good ones.  Perhaps the group heal could be a smart heal that targets everyone, but if some group members aren't damaged, it heals the individuals that are for more hps.  The ability to change the climate etc is cool, but I would hope that it remains something useful, rather than becoming outmoded when all group members are at max climate mitigation. 

I asked Kilsin about maxing climate mitigation and he said that while technically possible, it would not at all be practical and would basically require you to gimp your character in other essential areas such as damage, magic resist, etc. This is because not at all methods of acclimation will be permanent and/or passive. It would require switching out a lot of gear, which would of course cause you to lose other stats. So I don't expect that to be common - therefore, I'm not worried about Druid's climate control becoming irrelevant. I think it's a really unique and important feature.

But anyway, I think it's important that each class's abilties feel unique. I'm not a huge fan of how EQ gave several classes exact duplicates of some spells, just differing the level they got access to them. I like your idea about a mass heal that is dependent on how much life each member is missing. I can pretty much guarantee Druids won't be able to pump out the direct healing numbers that Clerics will, but that's okay cause their heals will probably just complement the other tools they have. Their buffs and climate control will be what make them a valuable party addition. Climate is probably something that will have to be dealt with in almost every adventure. And druids will be the best ones to deal with it. It's not all about who can heal for the most amount. That's pretty one dimensional thinking. As I've said before, sometimes damage prevention is even better than damage recovery.

• 281 posts
    February 14, 2017 9:25 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I asked Kilsin about maxing climate mitigation and he said that while technically possible, it would not at all be practical and would basically require you to gimp your character in other essential areas such as damage, magic resist, etc. This is because not at all methods of acclimation will be permanent and/or passive. It would require switching out a lot of gear, which would of course cause you to lose other stats. So I don't expect that to be common - therefore, I'm not worried about Druid's climate control becoming irrelevant. I think it's a really unique and important feature.

But anyway, I think it's important that each class's abilties feel unique. I'm not a huge fan of how EQ gave several classes exact duplicates of some spells, just differing the level they got access to them. I like your idea about a mass heal that is dependent on how much life each member is missing. I can pretty much guarantee Druids won't be able to pump out the direct healing numbers that Clerics will, but that's okay cause their heals will probably just complement the other tools they have. Their buffs and climate control will be what make them a valuable party addition. Climate is probably something that will have to be dealt with in almost every adventure. And druids will be the best ones to deal with it. It's not all about who can heal for the most amount. That's pretty one dimensional thinking. As I've said before, sometimes damage prevention is even better than damage recovery.

Thanks for that insight Bazgrim, that's exactly what was troubling me about that ability. 

• 47 posts
    February 16, 2017 6:11 PM PST
    Well the healing part is very important as in the long run that is what is going to keep druids being wanted at raids. The climate control... well they already had it. They had protection of the seasons to boost your svc and svf and they also had a cold and fire debuff, so in reality is not new just that this time is more visible. So again is back to the heals. Yes druids powerful HoTs complement and work hand by hand with clerics direct powerful heals. In that scenario they are both different but equally needed.