Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Man I wish I'd played EQ

• 284 posts
    December 21, 2016 1:15 PM PST

videos like this make it seem like it was hilarious and fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUkfYfvZ6M&feature=em-subs_digest

• 626 posts
    December 21, 2016 1:22 PM PST

Haha! Ya I loved it!

• 188 posts
    December 21, 2016 1:24 PM PST

EverQuest came along at the perfect time.  It was a fantastic game, even if some of those elements were unintended and driven by emergent player behavior.  But it came along at a time when many of us were just connecting with the internet in a major way and it totally expanded how we could game.  I remember as a young gamer buying into the X-Band console adapter to be able to play a couple of SNES and Genesis games online, and how amazing that seemed.  Then EQ comes along, shortly after Meridian 59 and on top of Ultima Online, and created this amazing 3D world in which we could interact with thousands of others in a persistent world.  It was amazing.  This was a time when AOL and chat rooms and message boards were blowing up - and here we could interact and play an amazing game together, and progress over a long term adventure.  It was just a perfect time.  

Regardless of how great Pantheon can become, recapturing the essence of that era would be impossible because of how fresh the entire experience was.  But we can definitely hope for the same level of depth, even if most of us are a bit more jaded to the overall experience at this point.

• 2886 posts
    December 21, 2016 2:13 PM PST

Lol this is awesome. Brings back a lot of good memories, but I also learned some things as well, which is impressive since I've been playing since late 1999 haha. Just goes to show how freaking big the world is. EverQuest has such a big positive impact on my life. I am forever thankful for that. I wish everyone had the chance to play it in its prime. 

edit: go ahead and check out the next episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyxdS1SSoo

this is so entertaining lol. I sincerely hope Pantheon has such deep mysteries!

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 21, 2016 3:42 PM PST
    • 73 posts
    December 22, 2016 1:18 AM PST

The great thing is I played EQ from launch(1999) to the release of Plains of Power expansion(2002) and half of this stuff I never saw or knew. The world seemed endless and always something new around the corner. It was always a struggle between studying for college or playing EQ, both of my roommates played too. I found that I could do both and gave up eating and sleeping. I miss logging in with a good friend I had on EQ, he lived in Cali while I was in Florida. Them were the good days.

Yeah EQ was one of those once in a life time experiences, but that doesn't mean other games can't bring something similar. Vanguard SoH had me pretty good as well, not quite as deep as EQ, but I definitely was hooked.

This post was edited by VicNuggets at December 22, 2016 1:19 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    January 2, 2017 1:55 AM PST

One of the parts of EQ that always brings back the nostalgic feelings is the music. I know Joppa will do well but I always hoped that Brad would talk to Jay Barbeau about doing Pantheon’s music. Maybe he’s too expensive, but I know he still makes music. The ambient audio was also fantastic. You would walk past buildings and villages and different tunes would play. It was ... perfect.

• 3016 posts
    January 2, 2017 5:33 PM PST

Maybe we can have a surprise Easter Egg where EQ's theme plays all of a sudden,  like maybe triggered by the Perception system :)   And when you find it you get some sort of achievement.  :)

• 1618 posts
    January 2, 2017 5:54 PM PST

I still have the DING sound as my text received tone on my phone.

• 160 posts
    January 16, 2017 1:22 AM PST

HAHA, my late African Grey Parrot, Gandalf used to always do the "da da da dada da DAH" leveling up sound.  God, I miss that little twerp.

I still remember sitting at my super-expensive Pentium 200 (MMX!) Compaq computer with the 14" CRT (HAHAHAH), that I learned enough about to white-knuckle install a Monster3D video card into. What a piece of garbage! LOL.

My current cell phone is more powerful than that computer was haha.

This post was edited by corpserunner at January 16, 2017 1:23 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 1:55 PM PST

corpserunner said:

HAHA, my late African Grey Parrot, Gandalf used to always do the "da da da dada da DAH" leveling up sound.  God, I miss that little twerp.

I still remember sitting at my super-expensive Pentium 200 (MMX!) Compaq computer with the 14" CRT (HAHAHAH), that I learned enough about to white-knuckle install a Monster3D video card into. What a piece of garbage! LOL.

My current cell phone is more powerful than that computer was haha.

Hmm reminded me of my Pentium 75 (1995) "Intell inside!"   what was it 812 mbs hard drive..wasn't large enough to load UO (UO was a gig in size in those days) 16 mbs of ram..THAT was supposed to be "top of the line" in those days.  :) oh and operating on dial-up.   hehe  those were the early days where I used to think if I touched my keyboard the wrong way the machine would blow up (newbie)

• 2752 posts
    January 19, 2017 9:03 PM PST

Beefcake said:

My alarm is the merchant music. Most tranquil way to wake.

• 2886 posts
    January 20, 2017 5:46 AM PST

Iksar said:

Beefcake said:

My alarm is the merchant music. Most tranquil way to wake.

Good music, but if that were my alarm, I'd literally never get out of bed. I can't afford to be woken in a tranquil manner haha.

Need the old school combat music, or even better... the skeleton laugh lol

• 8 posts
    February 1, 2017 10:13 AM PST

Beefcake said:

LMAO Beefcake i too have that message tone. I even had the EQ theme as a ringtone for a period of time!

• 4 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:28 PM PST

I wish I would have played it too!!! I was playing FF in those days, and just never branched out into EQ... Hindsight is 20/20 though as they say. I'm so excited to enter this game and learn from and with EQ Vets and newbies alike. 

• 105 posts
    January 16, 2018 3:07 AM PST

I wish I had played as well, I was bang into Counter Strike in those days and then moved to WoW... We will never be able to replicate our first online gaming experiences, no youtube, no facebook, no twitch, no idea what we were doing!

• 166 posts
    January 16, 2018 3:33 AM PST

Jimmayus said:

videos like this make it seem like it was hilarious and fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUkfYfvZ6M&feature=em-subs_digest

Thanks for that blast to the past. Everytime I see Everquest vids or pics, I get flooded with so many awesome memories. EQ was an adventure and it was more fun sharing it with friends. EQ had enough fear of death in the game that adventures were an adrenaline rush. In current MMOs, death is mostly meaningless.

• 769 posts
    January 16, 2018 11:08 AM PST

Chromaggia said:

I wish I would have played it too!!! I was playing FF in those days, and just never branched out into EQ... Hindsight is 20/20 though as they say. I'm so excited to enter this game and learn from and with EQ Vets and newbies alike. 

I gave FF a shot, in the middle of my EQ playing, because a good friend of mine was on it. Made a monk. Bought some new gear from a vendor. Put it on, and it was ....scandalous. Damn thing looked like I was wearing a thong, or something found in a BDSM dungeon. 

Went back to EQ. 

• 839 posts
    January 16, 2018 2:13 PM PST

VicNuggets said:

The great thing is I played EQ from launch(1999) to the release of Plains of Power expansion(2002) and half of this stuff I never saw or knew. The world seemed endless and always something new around the corner. 

Truer Words Were Never Spoken!  And the freedom to attack whatever new npc thing you might stumble over walking alone in the woods in the middle of no where, or hidden in a tower, in a nook at the base of a mountain in the middle of no where... there was always a rush when you find someone who tools like they might be carrying somthingsomthing rare!! and... no... just an iron ration haha... still as a heartless necro i would always opt for a good fight :) 

• 595 posts
    January 17, 2018 2:06 PM PST

Oh geez, now I have to watch every video Michael's shenanigans has ever produced!

• 151 posts
    January 22, 2018 10:47 AM PST

Tralyan said:

I gave FF a shot, in the middle of my EQ playing, because a good friend of mine was on it. Made a monk. Bought some new gear from a vendor. Put it on, and it was ....scandalous. Damn thing looked like I was wearing a thong, or something found in a BDSM dungeon. 

Went back to EQ. 

My wife played a Halfelf druid in EQ. We called her Nurse Wedgie for the longest time.

• 10 posts
    January 24, 2018 11:44 AM PST

This video was great thanks for sharing!  Travelling by boat in EQ back in the day was really great.  The islands were always a temptation... like, I need to get to Erudin or wherever I'm going, and if I get off on this island, the boat will leave without me and I'll be here for at least an hour.  Well, do I have fishing bait and a pole? Yep! Ok jumping off.  

I did a lot of fishing and sense heading and foraging while waiting for boats.  

I know what people mean by how you can't get that first experience again, especially with all the new social media sites and so on, and how at the time there just wasn't anything else quite like it.  I just wish I stayed on board with EQ1 longer.  I thought when EQ2 came out, that was it for EQ1, that maybe this is the life cycle of MMO's, you play one for a few years, then they update it in a version 2 or 3 or 4 etc every 5 years with better graphics and gameplay mechanics.  I wish once my character was max level on EQ2 I went back to EQ1 to max him out there every time a new level limit came in and get a thousand or so AA, so that I'm not where I am at now, like 20-30 levels behind everyone else.

• 249 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:36 AM PST
    He has a lot of great EQ videos! Watch the mysteries one!
    • 724 posts
    February 28, 2018 6:45 AM PST

There'll be a new chance to experience EQ, since Daybreak is opening the new TLP (timelocked progression server) Coirnav on Fri, 16 March 2018. See here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/coirnav-progression-server-coming-march-16-2018.247157/

I think I'll give this a try, its nice to re-play the classic EQ game - videos as above just remind me of that. And it will be a nice distraction from waiting for Pantheon alpha :)

This post was edited by Sarim at February 28, 2018 6:46 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 28, 2018 7:15 AM PST

Sarim said:

There'll be a new chance to experience EQ, since Daybreak is opening the new TLP (timelocked progression server) Coirnav on Fri, 16 March 2018. See here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/coirnav-progression-server-coming-march-16-2018.247157/

I think I'll give this a try, its nice to re-play the classic EQ game - videos as above just remind me of that. And it will be a nice distraction from waiting for Pantheon alpha :)

Imo, TLP servers are a pretty weak attempt to re-create the original EverQuest. If you want as close as you can to the full classic experience, Project 99 is the place to start. It's still not perfect, but it's your best bet at a worthy introduction to the game if you've never played it before.

• 769 posts
    February 28, 2018 11:30 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Sarim said:

Imo, TLP servers are a pretty weak attempt to re-create the original EverQuest. If you want as close as you can to the full classic experience, Project 99 is the place to start. It's still not perfect, but it's your best bet at a worthy introduction to the game if you've never played it before.

Agreed. They both have problems, but TLP servers don't feel like classic EQ to me, not in the way P99 does. 

Always looking for people to group with!