Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Voice Attack in pantheon?

• 521 posts
    May 17, 2019 12:59 PM PDT

Taldaas said:

I have two thoughts on this.  First, I feel like pantheon is the scenario where this would be least useful due to limited action availability.  In games where you have all spells and abilities at all times I could see push to talk being excellent for use of "oh crap" buttons and such.

The one concern I would have, if you can play the game with voice chat coming through speakers, would raids be able to have a command issued by the raid leader that would activate abilities on different raid members simultaneously.  I imagine something like a group heal command, or something similiar.  

1. People play Racing Games,Space Games ,MMO’s ect.. With Voice attack. VA can be setup to perform minor actions like opening/closing your inventory with a word, or complex such as swapping all your combat gear for fishing gear in one command, or even playing the game entirely by voice as shown above. The only limitation is your imagination.

2.Possible maybe, but not practical.

2a.VA Operates on an individual level, meaning you train your voice to it using win 10 speech recognition, the more you train it the better it gets at understanding your commands.

2b. Background noise, such as what you would have from using speakers instead of headphones would hinder your experience with VA, commands will go ignored and/or you will have random commands being activated.

2c. VA uses profiles, these profiles are a collection of commands, you may have one profile for each game you play with a different set of commands. Every member of the Raid would need to use the same profile

So while its possible to do what you suggested, it would take an eminence amount of cooperation. Maybe one day VA will have a linking option for synchronizing commands between users.

• 58 posts
    May 18, 2019 5:00 AM PDT

There are existing applications to assist those with a physical disability in controlling their computers in other ways such as voice commands.  

This would be along those same lines and that's where I thought this idea was going.  

But for me, all I can think is: my wife already hates when I play in the living room during her TV shows, and... 

"Lightning Bolt!"   https://youtu.be/KZ04mfAY2BU

This post was edited by Wyvernspur at May 18, 2019 9:37 AM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    May 18, 2019 3:59 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I don't think there's any possible way that it could be considered an "advantage," so I don't see why VR would ban it. I'm sure typing will always be faster and more accurate. But it would be nice to have for those with disabilities. For example, if I lost one or both of my hands in an accident, I'd still want to have some way to play games.

Yeap this must stay in the handicap people.

• 59 posts
    May 19, 2019 1:38 PM PDT

I see the point as moot. How would you even stop the use of such a program? Realisticly, you can't, any more than it would make sense to ban macroes really. So, may as well assume its an option for those who feel like trying it.

• 48 posts
    May 20, 2019 2:47 AM PDT

It's a neat idea, but I really can't see myself yelling "Fireball x/y/z" or "Part the Veil" whilst my better half is sitting in the couch thinking "What the did was I thinking when I got into a relationship with him" :P..

I love him, but. No. I'm crazy enough as is, shouting spells and abilities to activate them is... less desirable :). Also, imagine the in-game voice chat feature.. How would you distinguish between casting a spell and talking to your team?

• 521 posts
    May 20, 2019 5:28 AM PDT

Ashreon said:

It's a neat idea, but I really can't see myself yelling "Fireball x/y/z" or "Part the Veil" whilst my better half is sitting in the couch thinking "What the did was I thinking when I got into a relationship with him" :P..

I love him, but. No. I'm crazy enough as is, shouting spells and abilities to activate them is... less desirable :). Also, imagine the in-game voice chat feature.. How would you distinguish between casting a spell and talking to your team?

Push to talk for chatting with friends/group, it’s rude to have an open mic, and often mandatory anyway.

• 48 posts
    May 20, 2019 8:35 AM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

Ashreon said:

Push to talk for chatting with friends/group, it’s rude to have an open mic, and often mandatory anyway.

Sure, but you could also have voice activation that records when a certain volume is coming through the Mic and is not the same as an Open Mic which records at all times. I don't want to sound rude, but generalization what is and what is not mandatory... I doubt very much you can give a good estimate on this.
    I know that it was mandatory to have your Mic on ptta during Sieges in my old Guild in BDO whilst it was mandatory for the Siege Raid Leader and the Siege Group Leaders to have their Mic on voice activation.. In normal groups there was no mandatory although certain things were preferred.
    In my very old WoW guild it was preferred to have voice activation rather than push to talk simply because it was necessary for people to call out x/y/z mechanic on them in a Mythic raid.

Secondly, even if you have to use push to talk then what will you do when you need to call out something whilst also having to use a spell..? And how would you deal with people less fluent in English, dialects etc?
    Sorry, it sounds cool, but implementation wise it would end up being fairly messy and probably ineffective for the most part.

I gather that some disabled people would probably find it quite attractive, but for the rest of us (apart from being cool) it would be faster and more efficient to simply press a button. Which leads me to think that resources could be spend better than on.. Hmm fluff.

• 1033 posts
    May 20, 2019 9:44 AM PDT

It could be an advantage in some situations, but then so are many other things. If you have a more ram, a faster graphics card, a faster internet connection, etc...

Also, there will be those who are able to gain advantage with macroing outside of the client (ie many gaming keyboards today can easily script/macro functions to complex levels and do so while running it entirely on the keyboards hardware with no detectable software). Then there is the fact that there are numerous software out there that allows extremely complext scripting/macro concepts to achieve any form of automation in play.

Point is, I don't think it really is an issue that can even be combated. If people want to run voice macros, they will be able to and there is nothing VR can really do about it apart from asking for full admin control over your machine to dictate what can be used and what can not, which is not likely.

• 801 posts
    May 21, 2019 5:58 AM PDT

Its an advantage, been that way in EQ for yrs. I'd recommend not digging to deep into it, giving the new ppl ideas.

I knew of a few ppl using it in guild halls.

• 441 posts
    May 21, 2019 6:04 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

For most players, I do not see how saying a spell name is any faster than clicking a hot button. However if you are trying to run circles around a mob and need to use your hand and mouse for the movement, I can see the advantage.

it would be nice for immersion, though.

This tool is also used for the disabled. My wife has advanced arthritis and the less she has to use her keyboard and mouse the longer she can play. Its already a consideration that she cant use macros with a 3rd party device and no mention yet if they will have an in game macro that will let you do things like with one key press assist main tank and cast X spell. If this program is green lit for Pantheon, I will look into using it for my wife to make her game time less painful.

• May 26, 2019 5:42 AM PDT
    Someone find me that video of that LARPer kid shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" Over and over...
    • 521 posts
    July 12, 2019 10:14 AM PDT

FlushingToiletScreamingShower said: Someone find me that video of that LARPer kid shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" Over and over...

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at July 12, 2019 10:16 AM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    July 13, 2019 4:00 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

FlushingToiletScreamingShower said: Someone find me that video of that LARPer kid shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" Over and over...

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

LOL, I would would of came runing saying YOUR CHEATING, GM SMITE, and doing the Sweet Chin Music finisher of Shawn Michales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLWxGOWKvY

This is why I like paintball vs lazertag.

This post was edited by Aich at July 13, 2019 4:04 PM PDT
    • 53 posts
    July 15, 2019 10:23 PM PDT

Truthfully- I don't see a reason to not embrace it.. Or at least a reason for VR to not embrace it. It works for Handicap folks, for aging folks with arthritis, younger kids who don't have the finest of motor skills or big enough hands to move effectively across the keyboard... 

People program hot keys on mice and keyboards, macros, all sorts of things.. Why not voice?

• 801 posts
    July 18, 2019 5:19 AM PDT

Astartes31 said:

Truthfully- I don't see a reason to not embrace it.. Or at least a reason for VR to not embrace it. It works for Handicap folks, for aging folks with arthritis, younger kids who don't have the finest of motor skills or big enough hands to move effectively across the keyboard... 

People program hot keys on mice and keyboards, macros, all sorts of things.. Why not voice?

It works for exploiters, that is it. 1 in maybe 10 would use it legit, the rest use it to exploit. Its not a good idea, and i wont explain the details.