Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Voice Attack in pantheon?

• 521 posts
    December 17, 2016 10:26 AM PST

What are the opinions on using Voice Attack with pantheon?

In case your not familiar voice attack is a program that lets someone control their game with their voice. For example instead of pressing your left mouse on the fireball icon in your hotbar, you would just say "cast fireball", or "fireball". To be clear its not doing anything to the game itself, but pressing the Appropriate keys Via a voice command like searching goggle with your voice on your phone, and not a physical press of the key.

Its most common with games lite elite dangerous or star citizen, but its quite capable of being used for any game. I can see it freeing up the need for cramped key combos.

You can see it in action here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdYtyWa0PQ

Now there are also voice packs that go with this, and I think that would be a perfect opportunity for a pet class to both give voice commands, and get an audible feedback from the pet. Increasing immersion in my opinion.

I ask because, well it could be perceived that its an advantage over anyone not using it since it Free’s up key binding options, meaning your not bound to key binds that are suited for human hands to perform. Nor are you required to move a mouse over a hot key and click, which takes a second or two.

So I’m wondering how the developers and community feel about this.

• 186 posts
    December 17, 2016 11:06 AM PST
    Neat idea, but I would be concerned with the impact of fairness. Would this give someone an advantage due to reaction times? On the other hand, would certainly allow players who are not entirely capable of using their hands too. For example, I have a good friend who plays GW2 with me, who is partially paralyzed on one side of his body.
    • 521 posts
    December 17, 2016 11:50 AM PST

VitaKorp3n said: Neat idea, but I would be concerned with the impact of fairness. Would this give someone an advantage due to reaction times? On the other hand, would certainly allow players who are not entirely capable of using their hands too. For example, I have a good friend who plays GW2 with me, who is partially paralyzed on one side of his body.

I think the voice could be quicker in alot of cases, but its not perfect. Sometimes commands aren't recognized, or recognized incorrectly, but assuming all goes well, its still not faster than someone who can type well. Having said that though, it does allow someone to multitask much better, for example I can just say cast fireball while still maintaining movement control with one hand and targeting with the other, esscently giving me a third hand.

• 2138 posts
    December 17, 2016 12:45 PM PST

If I recall one or some of the Devs in bethesda had made a preliminary voice attack type command for Skyrim. It was sort of on the "if you had the money what would you have develped" and it showed this one devoper playing skyrim and shouting "Fus-Ro-Dah!" to trigger the shout in the player. So, it seems like its out there but I am not sure if its proprietary or not.  

• 1778 posts
    December 17, 2016 12:49 PM PST

When I first read the title I was thinking a character class that used shout type commands or spells like in Skyrim. But I see you are talking voice controls.

• 188 posts
    December 17, 2016 12:57 PM PST

I feel like I could be a lot quicker with hotkeys and icons than I could be over voice command, but the biggest drawback to me would be the implicatons it would have on voice chat in game.  It would render it pretty useless, and I have a feeling that's where most of the communication will take place for regular groups.

• 1618 posts
    December 17, 2016 1:01 PM PST

For most players, I do not see how saying a spell name is any faster than clicking a hot button. However if you are trying to run circles around a mob and need to use your hand and mouse for the movement, I can see the advantage.

it would be nice for immersion, though.

• 231 posts
    December 17, 2016 1:42 PM PST

It's certainly a neat concept, I like the video you linked to.

The main issue I see with an MMO style game is that people will be using voice chat as well. I can only hope you have to hold down a key while saying the command though.

Based on what they talked about in the stream and there being a limited number of abilities, at launch, people will most likely only need one or at most two bars for general combat. The bar on the right side of the screen screamed "buffs" and other long duration/cooldown to most of us. The standard wasd+mouse look + 1 - = buttons for abilities isn't all that overwhelming once you play for a little bit. I didn't see a spell gem bar though, which helped keep EQ1 toolbars a little cleaner. Even with a limit of spells, I did end up with 2-3 bars of spells/abilities/macros on my bard. It never felt like too much though. As for the voice being quicker... I don't think so for many of us mmo vets, but it does help with the whole issue of activating abilities not on the main bar or on a bar at all.

• 1778 posts
    December 17, 2016 1:45 PM PST

I dont know about faster either, but it could be more realistic if the game intended spells to be long incantations. Dont think Id be a fan of that. Cause I want to be a bard, and it would be tragic to expose you nice folks to my singing voice. Dont want anyone to ragequit lol.

• 27 posts
    December 17, 2016 1:58 PM PST

If you can find it for your local workstation, go for it. I can't imagine a MMORPG ever offering voice recoginition for their clients especially if they want to support multiple languages. More frills to keep bug free.

• 521 posts
    December 17, 2016 2:05 PM PST

Lovecraft said:

If you can find it for your local workstation, go for it. I can't imagine a MMORPG ever offering voice recoginition for their clients especially if they want to support multiple languages. More frills to keep bug free.

I think you misread, its not needed to be added to the game, it already exists for any game or program.

https://voiceattack.com/

Now if only they had some RPG voices for pets.

http://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

• 384 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:08 AM PST
    That's a perfect fit for Start Citizen! Cool video.

It would be an interesting way to control your pet. And possibly spell casting. Although it would interfere with voice chat. Ultimately it seems to me like hot keys would be easier for most spells the majority of the time. Intriguing concept though.

I could see this being used by people who like to multi box to control their second character. I don't want to derail this thread with a discussion on multi boxing (there are plenty of threads already dedicated to that topic) but I wonder what VRs stance on that would be.
    • 2419 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:36 AM PST

Along the same lines as voice commands is eye-tracking.  A camera system mounted on your monitor tracks your eyes and the software executes commands.

https://tobiigaming.com/games/

I'd suspect that given this particular one supports Unity it would not be beyond some people's ability to write an app which would work with Pantheon.

• 844 posts
    December 19, 2016 3:18 PM PST

I have had voiceattack for a number of years. It is not really responsive enough to replace actual button pushing - unless you don't mind numerous deaths and party wipes.

May need to eat my words. Just tried it again and it seems much more responsive. Maybe since I upgraded my CPU and RAM, made a big difference.

This post was edited by zewtastic at December 19, 2016 4:12 PM PST
    • 521 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:10 AM PST

tanwedar said:

It's certainly a neat concept, I like the video you linked to.

The main issue I see with an MMO style game is that people will be using voice chat as well. I can only hope you have to hold down a key while saying the command though.

Using it while chatting isn't really that big of a challenge, i do it all the time while playing elite. voice attack uses the speech engine built into windows, the more its trained the better it gets, and its adapting with every command to be more accurate. so for example if i had a command to cast a fireball by saying 'cast fireball' then when i was talking to a Friend and said look at the massive fireball i just cast, Voice attack would ignore it as background noise.

However should it become an issue, there are listening on/off commands, so for example i use the Kate Russel voice pack in elite dangerous ans sometimes she likes to go on a light on/off kick for the ships lights with no words spoken, ( im not sure if this is a glitch of a humorous quirk they added) i simple say "Kate go to sleep" and listening is off and when I what to give more commands I say “Kate wake up” and shes back online

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at December 21, 2016 5:11 AM PST
    • 318 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:23 AM PST

I don't see this as being any more of an advantage than using a G15 programmable keyboard. I haven't heard of any games banning keyboards with programmable macros, so I don't think they would have any issue with using a voice chat program that does basically the same thing.

• 3016 posts
    December 21, 2016 10:17 AM PST

Just curious..how does that affect your team or people around you?   Never heard of this before. 

• 2886 posts
    December 21, 2016 10:53 AM PST

I don't think there's any possible way that it could be considered an "advantage," so I don't see why VR would ban it. I'm sure typing will always be faster and more accurate. But it would be nice to have for those with disabilities. For example, if I lost one or both of my hands in an accident, I'd still want to have some way to play games.

• 521 posts
    December 21, 2016 12:44 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Just curious..how does that affect your team or people around you?   Never heard of this before. 

Push to talk for chat client

• 3016 posts
    December 21, 2016 12:48 PM PST

HemlockReaper said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Push to talk for chat client

Oh so just a chat program..okay. Prefer push to talk...don't want to hear someone's garbage truck backing up ...beep beep (yes..that happened..person had their mic open all the time)

• 521 posts
    May 16, 2019 7:42 AM PDT

well this is interesting

NO HANDS / NO KEYBOARD GAMING! World of Warcraft played with VOICE ATTACK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEAHEluI1aU

• 1399 posts
    May 16, 2019 1:05 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

Using it while chatting isn't really that big of a challenge, i do it all the time while playing elite. voice attack uses the speech engine built into windows, the more its trained the better it gets, and its adapting with every command to be more accurate. so for example if i had a command to cast a fireball by saying 'cast fireball' then when i was talking to a Friend and said look at the massive fireball i just cast, Voice attack would ignore it as background noise.

That should be  Lacarnum Inflamarae shouldn't it?

• 116 posts
    May 16, 2019 4:42 PM PDT

Okay, I hate to admit it, but this gamer is aging. I am acquiring arthritis is my hands, so this seems very welcome to me.  Long sessions become very challenging because of this, so any relief is welcome. 

• 793 posts
    May 17, 2019 3:50 AM PDT

Just let me link Pantheon to the Holodeck in my house, and I will be happy. :)

• 36 posts
    May 17, 2019 5:50 AM PDT

I have two thoughts on this.  First, I feel like pantheon is the scenario where this would be least useful due to limited action availability.  In games where you have all spells and abilities at all times I could see push to talk being excellent for use of "oh crap" buttons and such.

The one concern I would have, if you can play the game with voice chat coming through speakers, would raids be able to have a command issued by the raid leader that would activate abilities on different raid members simultaneously.  I imagine something like a group heal command, or something similiar.