Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Buying New PC-Help/Insight?

• 47 posts
    December 15, 2016 5:48 PM PST

So I'm buying a new PC, I'm still on a laptop so it's time. Not going to lie, pretty much buying it strictly for Pantheon :D I pretty much play MMOs only though. Been doing a little research and also read through the topics on this forum and have gotten some really good insights I feel.  Smart people on here lol, I love computers/games just don't know it all.

So Best Buy has got 18 month financing deal right now and I am in no way confident to build one.

what do y'all think of this one? 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-liquid-cooled-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-120gb-ssd-2tb-hdd-black-blue/5374303.p?skuId=5374303

I7-6700k/gtx 1070/16gb ram 2400/aserek liquid cooling

From some articles and reading Liav (sp) on here talking about 1080 and fps, ive decided I'm going to go gsync 24in 1080p monitor. Was looking at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-xb1-24-lcd-hd-gsync-monitor-black-with-red-accents/5159600.p?skuId=5159600

What do y'all think? Want to do Pantheon on max settings. any issues y'all think? Any limitations?  The gtx 1080 is substantially more expensive and don't know if I want to drop that kind of money if the perf won't be significantly better.  Any input/advice very much appreciated. TIA!!

• 633 posts
    December 15, 2016 6:18 PM PST

Since we don't know what the recommended/required specs will be for Pantheon, it's hard to say.  That computer, though should run pretty much any game on the market with no problems at 60+fps easy.  The monitor is definitely nice, and although they don't list it on that website, it has a max frequency of 144hz at 1080p, which will give you fluid motion at high FPS.

• 2130 posts
    December 16, 2016 7:12 AM PST

Yeah, the difference between a 1070 and a 1080 in price/performance is significant. I'd stick with the 1070 unless you just have massive amounts of disposable income and couldn't care less. I know I would.

It's a very nice build, however I'm partial to putting them together myself. There's a lot of money saving opportunities that way, but I also live very close to a Microcenter and not everyone has that luxury.

Either way, that PC would put you way over the recommended specs I'm sure. However, as I said in another thread, it's going to be unclear whether or not any PC will be able to handle this game at 60+ FPS in raid situations just due to the nature of how demanding MMOs are. Consistent 144 FPS will be out of reach of the MMO genre as a whole for another decade, I would expect.

You won't be disappointed either way. That machine will put you in the top 1% of gaming performance. I'd love to make a similar build some time next year when we start to enroach on Pantheon's actual alpha release.

• 578 posts
    December 16, 2016 10:43 PM PST

First I want to say, buiding your own PC from scratch is SUPER simple. I think a person with ZERO knowledge of ever building a PC could build one by them self with maybe a 10 minute youtube video. It's really not that hard. And I say this because companies such as Best Buy have realized that a lot of people have stopped buying premade PCs because they can build them for cheaper on their own and so BB and other retailers have come down drastically on their prices.

I don't have the privilege of living near a micro center so I don't know how much cheaper it is to buy parts there but I just pieced together the PC you have linked and if I was to buy the parts from the website I usually get my parts from (Newegg which is a fairly cheap place to get PC parts) and build it myself it would cost me around $1320. Building it yourself gives you the liberty of cutting corners as well as buying better quality parts. But at $1280, and not wanting to or being able to build it yourself, it doesn't really get better than this.

2nd, the PC you have linked will play just about anything you throw at it. Especially PRF. We might not know the exact specs but Brad and Co. have stated over and over that it will be easily played by mid level PCs.

One thing I would suggest, if you buy a premade PC from ANY where get the protection plan. And this is coming from a guy who NEVER buys the protection plan. I haven't bought a protection plan in years (I also haven't bought a premade PC in years either) Not on any of the last 2 60 inch HDTVs I've bought, not on any game console, not on ANYTHING electronic I've bought from Best Buy or anywhere else in years. You really just don't need to because for most part, the products you are buying are made to last. BUT, pre made computers are different and one of the ways Best Buy premakes them for so cheap is by using cheaper parts. Get the 4 year protection plan and if ANY thing goes wrong take the PC in and get it fixed/replaced. 4 years should be a good time to upgrade anyways.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the purchase. Discussing this REALLY makes me want to start building my next PC. Ugh, I want to put a tower in my bedroom so I can watch movies/tv at night and possibly a game or two /winkwinkPRF as I lounge and wind down for bed.

• 3852 posts
    December 17, 2016 8:34 AM PST

eeople that say it is very easy to build your own computer tend to undervalue their own skills. To them it may be easy and nothing can go wrong. To many of us it isn't all that easy and a LOT of things can go wrong. And when they go wrong it isn't always easy to figure out what went wrong or how to fix it. If you feel comfortable trying it go ahead but if you do not premade is generally better.

One point not always focused on is the distinction between what computer will be able to play Pantheon reasonably well and what computer will be able to play it very well. The Vanguard lesson - don't have a game that forces most people to play on low settings because it requires bleeding edge hardware for anything better - is a lasting one. This game will be playable at reasonably good settings even without top grade computers (in fairness as most of us know Vanguard came out far too early for financial reasons and the problem I mention was a direct result of premature release not poor design). Whether more loaded computers will be able to get noticably better graphics, significantly higher frame rates at the same settings, etc. it is too early to know. But don't be shocked if a more stacked computer plays the game better than a minimalist computer - that is how the smart money would bet. But some expensive features will add little or no value for this game - we don't happen to know which ones they are yet.

This post was edited by dorotea at December 17, 2016 8:36 AM PST
    • 47 posts
    December 17, 2016 6:35 PM PST
    Thanks everyone for the info and help, much appreciated. Went ahead and bought both of them, getting it on the 26th. Needless to say I'm pumped. Now come onnnn Pantheon :D

And went ahead and got the longest protection plan for both Noobie. I normally never do but you made a good point, plus never hurts to have peace of mind. If I wouldn't have, first day ligtning would have struck my house and fried it and I would have been raging lol.

Thanks again