Forums » The Rogue

Why would anyone be a Rugue

• 331 posts
    November 14, 2016 8:23 AM PST

Hello everyone. As the heading states I need some reasons to be a Rogue. Recently on project 1999 I decided to roll a Dark elf Rogue. Upon starting I found myself in a city that I have never visited. I learned my way around and proceeded to level. At level 4 i decided to journey to e commons and join the rest of the newbies and level up. That was a disaster. My high level druid made me some leather armour and I thought I was in good standing there. I went to freeport to bind and since the guards were only dubious I proceeded to the bank to deposit my plat i recieved from my "sponser". BAD MOVE. Seems that north freeport guards don't love me as much. Also none of the merchants like me either. After my cr i went back to the tunnel and. The only one who would sell to me was that shifty pirate.

So I decided to scrap him and make a half elf Rogue. Started in freeport and went to my trainer. Had a hard time finding him but after 2 deaths from Boomba or Punta  or whoever I found him. when i left the trainer I took a wrong turn,so I decided to look around. BAD MOVE. Death was waiting for me from some Darky in a room i tried to enter. Luckily I did not put on any of my new clother I took from my D E  Rogue. So I went outside and sat to ponder the question.

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO BE A ROGUE.

I really want to try out the Rogue in Pantheon. But if they are as disliked I need a few reasons to try her. After you all stop laughing and can type again please enlighten me. I am a true Druid at heart and really would like to try the Rogue.

Thanks

• 215 posts
    November 14, 2016 10:57 AM PST

You sir/ma'am ran into a racial issue more than a rogue class issue and one I desperately missed in later phases of EQ where race didn't matter.

I did enjoy the chuckle tho :D

• 4212 posts
    November 14, 2016 11:41 AM PST

Warben said:

You sir/ma'am ran into a racial issue more than a rogue class issue and one I desperately missed in later phases of EQ where race didn't matter.

I did enjoy the chuckle tho :D

Yeah only your race & deity affect how people view you in EQ. I am glad Pantheon will have similar faction systems. In some ways, it makes sense that people would not think highly of Rogue, unless they are also a scoundrel. But on the other hand, it's kinda unrealistic, in most cases, that you'd be able to tell what "profession" someone is or even what deity they worship just by looking at them. Race is only way to immediately tell if someone is likely to be an enemy or not, as racist as that sounds lol. And even still, an enchanter can easily deceive the eye with their illusions. In Skyrim, the guards won't view a Rogue as a target unless they have actually been caught in the act of stealing something. Because in that case, regardless of what race you are - even if you are the same race as the guards - you're now the enemy. I would love for Pantheon to have a crime/bounty system like that. I think that's the best and most realistic approach.

Don't give up, Rogues are fun - just ask Kilsin :)

• 194 posts
    December 2, 2016 1:20 PM PST

IMO::: There is no better class to play...................You are a person of many faces (coat of many colors so to speak) You get to run around and be a sneaky as you want ,pick pockets and if someone pisses you off.....stab them in the back ! You get all the ass you want (more than a toilet seat) If you know how to play one,it dont matter your race (always escape .like the cowards we are when there is trouble)You make poisons ,use them on anyone  if you wish.You can play with any (bodies)(perv) when called upon .Factions,well  you know there are always a way around that.Rogues have always been my fav,so much you can do.

• 77 posts
    December 3, 2016 2:08 AM PST

my favorite was coming to a merchant that would sell to me...ok then...i can get around that (sneak) and get behind merchant..oh look you will sell to me now. i always liked to think i held a knife to his throat as i did business with him LOL. it worked with everything. banking? no problem! just really needed to watch out for LoS guards. 

• 194 posts
    December 3, 2016 1:03 PM PST

float over them or walk on the roof tops or just run your ass off (tie your shoes) and scream.......................train !!!!

• 4212 posts
    December 5, 2016 11:41 AM PST

Alix said:

You get all the ass you want (more than a toilet seat)

How can you be so sure? lol

• 194 posts
    December 6, 2016 8:39 PM PST

Hell if I know...............It just sounded good *wink*

• 73 posts
    December 7, 2016 3:36 AM PST

From what I've seen in games like EQ and Vanguard the rogue excels at doing a lot of damage very quickly; the backstab. They're similar to a wizard as to not getting yourself killed by doing too much damage too quickly and creating aggro. 

So IMO, play a rogue if you like being a glass cannon that can sneak/scout. Most groups would like to have a rogue in it's ranks.

As far as the RP aspects go, a rogue is hated equally by most civilized communities. They're down with the dirty deeds so you would expect most guards/NPCs to be dubious or KoS. Some people like that challenge but I can see how that would get annoying if you're just into playing the game and not RP.

• 13 posts
    December 7, 2016 10:12 PM PST

Haha, in EQ it's REALLY hard to play a rogue as your only dedicated char.  Rogues had a ROUGH upbringing in EQ, easily being the most broken and weakest class in Classic EQ.  That all changed in Kunark, but it's imperative to make an easier class, like a caster, farm the gear for the rogue and twink him out.  WAY more fun that way ;)

• 18 posts
    December 9, 2016 7:30 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Alix said:

You get all the ass you want (more than a toilet seat)

How can you be so sure? lol

Because everybody knows rogues do it from behind of course !

This post was edited by Krissvalnor at December 9, 2016 7:30 PM PST
    • 194 posts
    December 10, 2016 11:30 AM PST

Yes ! thats it !

• 126 posts
    March 31, 2017 12:32 PM PDT

This isn't Everquest, nor is this P99. That said, my rogue is awesome. I can sneak and hide anywhere, pick locks, do insane dps and generally be wanted in groups. Also, I can travel easily, evil race or not.

In EQ, everything is hard early on. Gear negates that as time goes on. Then the game becomes trivial and easy.

• 38 posts
    April 29, 2019 12:59 AM PDT

The reason someone would want to be a rogue is because in all of those crappy situations you found yourself in, a rogue wouldn't be in them, at least not a good rogue :P
    Every other class short of an enchanter that can disguise him/herself will ALWAYS have to deal with those NPCs killing them. A rogue would just sneak right passed them all, maybe pickpocketting someone on the way.

• 36 posts
    May 23, 2019 7:52 AM PDT

The polls show the Rogue and Monk have the lowers numbers.  I think if I was to play a Rogue, it would solely be to offset their low numbers.  

• 20 posts
    June 3, 2019 4:36 PM PDT

A well-geared rogue played correctly can dish out the most dps in a fight. That's pretty rewarding if topping the damage charts is your groove.

• 569 posts
    June 4, 2019 4:28 PM PDT

If you think being a half elf rogue was bad, try being a necro or shadowknight - nobody likes Innorruuk or Cazic Thule LMAO  :p

• 30 posts
    July 10, 2019 5:19 PM PDT

Because rogue, so far, would be the best dedicated melee DPS in Pantheon.