Forums » News and Announcements

November's Newsletter is Out!

• 9115 posts
    November 9, 2016 3:21 PM PST

Check out this months addition for all your Pantheon information, we have an interview with Corey LeFever and community spotlight member of the month is Dullahan :)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2016_november_intro/

• 294 posts
    November 9, 2016 3:47 PM PST

Amberfaet looks awesome and extremely demanding. I can't wait to explore.

Great interviews as always. Keep up the outstanding work folks.

• 999 posts
    November 9, 2016 4:29 PM PST
    Congrats Dullahan - the community spotlight was well deserved. You definitely are a great voice for Pantheon - both here and especially in other forums. I enjoyed Corey's piece as well.
    • 2886 posts
    November 9, 2016 4:41 PM PST

I enjoyed reading this and all the other newsletters. However, I was very disappointed that this did not announce a date for the next dev Twitch stream :(

• 5 posts
    November 9, 2016 9:35 PM PST

What?! Nothing about the master race of gnomes?

• 27 posts
    November 10, 2016 2:03 AM PST

This was a bit disappointing. No really new information, just oppinions. Hoping for the next twitch stream now, could you please give us an estimate for when that comes?

• 30 posts
    November 10, 2016 4:18 AM PST

Humperding said:

This was a bit disappointing. No really new information, just oppinions. Hoping for the next twitch stream now, could you please give us an estimate for when that comes?

Honestly, the last several have been disappointing. I can’t remember the last time a monthly newsletter actually contained info on the state of the game. It’s been several months. The interviews with team members aren't that bad. But I could really care less about the interviews with forum members. If they want to include it in there fine, but they should also tell us something about the state of the game. It doesn’t always have to be something big, just something they’ve been working on, progress made since the last update, etc. I used to look forward to these newsletters, but now its like “meh”.

This post was edited by Kromiv at November 10, 2016 4:19 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 10, 2016 4:43 AM PST

A lot of what we are working on is deep core mechanics, systems and features and there isn't a lot to update you folks on, it is very slow going as they are such technical and long processes to undertake, that doesn't mean that we are not working our butts off, it just takes a lot longer to get through some of these development processes than others and these ones happen to take a long time. We would rather devote our time and energy to getting them finished and implemented properly than taking time away from multiple developers to give very small and uninteresting updates which would most likely be repeated each time with small gains here and there.

Once we have something worthwhile to show off we will be the first to announce it for you all to see, we get just as excited to reveal our hard work as you folks enjoy seeing it so please bare with us while we work through a slow portion of development, in the end it will be worth the wait.

We will have a stream to show off some of the most recent updates in the future but no ETA on that just yet, for us it is heads down and back to work after #Unite16. We will continue with the 1-2 dev updates each week like we have been doing (devs post a small update on the forums) to alleviate some of the slowness between the bigger updates but this MMORPG making process takes a long time (usually ~5 years) so please understand that there will be slow periods with little to no updates on core game mechanics, systems and features until they are ready.

The CM newsletters are more about the community and the team overall until we have some bigger news to share. I hope you all understand and we appreciate the continued support and patience :)

• 781 posts
    November 10, 2016 4:52 AM PST

The sad part is that most companies do not even give anyone this much information so early on in it's development.  To be feeling disappointed because of your own wants and needs is a bit self centered don't you think ? VR has been sharing information since the very beginning and I myself have not known any other company to do so , so early on.  These guys could shut it down and just not show us anything to be honest.  I for one am actually happy with any information that comes our way.  Community spotlights are awesome as well, it demonstrates how VR percieves its own community base.  Applaudes those who actually take the time to post meaningful / helpful comments toward other community members.  All in All VR has done a great job in including the community in its progress and I for one appreciate it all.  Keep iup the good work VR :)  * cheers

• 27 posts
    November 10, 2016 5:08 AM PST

Kelem said:

The sad part is that most companies do not even give anyone this much information so early on in it's development.  To be feeling disappointed because of your own wants and needs is a bit self centered don't you think ? VR has been sharing information since the very beginning and I myself have not known any other company to do so , so early on.  These guys could shut it down and just not show us anything to be honest.  I for one am actually happy with any information that comes our way.  Community spotlights are awesome as well, it demonstrates how VR percieves its own community base.  Applaudes those who actually take the time to post meaningful / helpful comments toward other community members.  All in All VR has done a great job in including the community in its progress and I for one appreciate it all.  Keep iup the good work VR :)  * cheers

Yea, sorry if this was looking ungratefull. Prior updates had a lot more "meat" and that's where the disappointment came from. It would be nice to get more class info for example, even if the classes are not "fixed" yet. Devs could present their current ideas to the community and let them discuss, that would spark some lively debate. I am sure the devs and the game would profit from that. Maybe the devs fear that such a debate can get out of hand? I don't think so, this community seems to be quite mature.

• 9115 posts
    November 10, 2016 6:11 AM PST

Kelem said:

Thank you Kelem, the kind words, patience and understanding are very much appreciated :)

• 9115 posts
    November 10, 2016 6:14 AM PST

Humperding said:

Kelem said:

Yea, sorry if this was looking ungratefull. Prior updates had a lot more "meat" and that's where the disappointment came from. It would be nice to get more class info for example, even if the classes are not "fixed" yet. Devs could present their current ideas to the community and let them discuss, that would spark some lively debate. I am sure the devs and the game would profit from that. Maybe the devs fear that such a debate can get out of hand? I don't think so, this community seems to be quite mature.

I do understand having good info and then it dropping off can be frustrating, and while we have a solid plan for classes with a lot of work done, even utilizing community input over the years to help us get the right class setups, we need to focus on bigger core mechanics and features before we implement more classes, once that is done we will be able to pick the pace back up again and release more updates for classes and many other things, we just need to get over this speed bump first :)

• 1434 posts
    November 10, 2016 6:32 AM PST

Raidan said: Congrats Dullahan - the community spotlight was well deserved. You definitely are a great voice for Pantheon - both here and especially in other forums. I enjoyed Corey's piece as well.

Thanks. Was glad to do it.

• 104 posts
    November 10, 2016 7:40 AM PST

Kromiv said:

Honestly, the last several have been disappointing. I can’t remember the last time a monthly newsletter actually contained info on the state of the game. [...] I used to look forward to these newsletters, but now its like “meh”.

Gotta admit, I've stopped reading them. I also find myself coming to the forums less and less.

• 563 posts
    November 10, 2016 7:40 AM PST

Great read, I love learning about some of the interal processes of the team members, what makes them tick, what they're working on. You guys have such a drive to bring us this game we've all been eagerly awaiting :D

Is that the cave system that was shown in Unit2016?

Good interview with Dullahan aswell, one of the most active supporters of this game I've personally seen (I don't browse many 3rd party sites but when I see something about pantheon hes usually in the comments supporting it :) ) Goblin or a giant 3 legged rat would be a hard choice :P 

• 174 posts
    November 10, 2016 7:41 AM PST

Personally I was thrilled to hear that Corey is most excited about crafting.  As a crafting junkie it's nice to hear we have a champion among the developers.  I wouldn't mind hearing him think out loud about his thoughts on how the crafting system might work...  I understand it's not a priority now, but certainly he must have an idea on what he would like to do once he's turned loose.

• 30 posts
    November 10, 2016 9:21 AM PST

Kelem said:

True, but most game companies are developing games using their own money. Pantheon is being developed on money given by the community. Everyone on these forums have donated money to go towards the development of this game, and because of this, we really deserve to be given regular updates. All the other crowd funded games I have donated to have had regular updates. Pantheon shouldn’t be any different. If this was a game being developed by someone like Valve or Bethesda, who don’t even tell you they are working on a game until its about to be released, I wouldn’t expect any real information.

I know that VR shares a lot of information, and I’m not knocking them. My complaint is about the newsletter content, not the team itself. I know they are working hard on the game, and I have enjoyed the content they have shared so far. But they have gone silent in recent months, at least about giving any status updates. These monthly newsletters used to contain information on the game itself. It wasn’t always big announcements, sometimes it was just little things like what they have been working on. One month they even included a list of bugs that they fixed. It wasn’t a lot but it was something nice to read.

I used to look forward to these newsletters, but now when I read them, after waiting month, all I see is a a couple of interviews, and one of the people being interviewed isn’t even a team member. It’s just hard to get excited about them anymore. Not that these interviews are a bad thing really, its just when that’s all there is to the newsletter, and there’s no information about the game, it’s a real let down. Well, it is to me anyway. If that’s being self-centered, then I guess I’m being self-centered. : )

But I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. Others have expressed their disappointment as well.

This post was edited by Kromiv at November 10, 2016 9:22 AM PST
    • 63 posts
    November 10, 2016 10:33 AM PST

Kilsin said:

...this MMORPG making process takes a long time (usually ~5 years)...

This post was edited by Talvaris at November 10, 2016 10:34 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    November 10, 2016 12:30 PM PST

I really enjoyed the Unite16 footage. Though it only makes me hungry for more. 

Thanks for the interview Corey. Always nice to get an insider point of view on things.

Dullahan: Welcome to the goblin brotherhood. Really enjoyed your answers, especially as they pertained to group mechanics and comraderie. 

• 781 posts
    November 10, 2016 2:06 PM PST

Kromiv said:

Kelem said:

True, but most game companies are developing games using their own money. Pantheon is being developed on money given by the community. Everyone on these forums have donated money to go towards the development of this game, and because of this, we really deserve to be given regular updates. All the other crowd funded games I have donated to have had regular updates. Pantheon shouldn’t be any different. If this was a game being developed by someone like Valve or Bethesda, who don’t even tell you they are working on a game until its about to be released, I wouldn’t expect any real information.

I know that VR shares a lot of information, and I’m not knocking them. My complaint is about the newsletter content, not the team itself. I know they are working hard on the game, and I have enjoyed the content they have shared so far. But they have gone silent in recent months, at least about giving any status updates. These monthly newsletters used to contain information on the game itself. It wasn’t always big announcements, sometimes it was just little things like what they have been working on. One month they even included a list of bugs that they fixed. It wasn’t a lot but it was something nice to read.

I used to look forward to these newsletters, but now when I read them, after waiting month, all I see is a a couple of interviews, and one of the people being interviewed isn’t even a team member. It’s just hard to get excited about them anymore. Not that these interviews are a bad thing really, its just when that’s all there is to the newsletter, and there’s no information about the game, it’s a real let down. Well, it is to me anyway. If that’s being self-centered, then I guess I’m being self-centered. : )

But I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. Others have expressed their disappointment as well.

I can understand the desire to want more then what you are getting especially if you have put hard earned money toward it.  That's a natural human trait.  Let's be rational though, I myself have put $500 bucks towrd this game just as blindly as the next person and that was way way back when the kickstarter was barely picking up steam and then ran out of steam..lol  but even then I wasn't demanding VR give me some "meat" so that I don't feel like I am getting the short end of the stick....hehe  <-------- that sounds really strange for some reason ! Anyhow, My hard earned money was put up front in good faith that VR would not only be responsible with it ( as little as it is ) but that it would help make a dream come true for me and many others who wanted the same thing I did / do... a true MMO ( old school )  I didn't put that money forth so that I could demand my needs and wants be met on a whim or to use that as leverage to demand that they stop everything that they are doing and make time for me.  They have already gone above and beyond as far as doing what they can , when they can, with what they have.  This is a very small group of dedicated people, we have to remember this.  One person jetting off to go make a video of the same thing we just seen last month because the donors demand it , takes away from the team as a whole.  I would rather show some patience, not allow myself to get down / disappointed with the trickle that's coming down the pipe.  Once that valve is opened more, that trickle becomes a pour and there is contentment.  Your money was well spent and is better enjoyed when we relax, let them do what they do.  They haven't forgotten us :)  If I know kilsin the way I think i do by reading his post, believe me, when more meat is available he will be the first to throw it out there for us.  He just wants to make sure it's a whole steak, not just a strip and for that I have to say *cheers

• 9115 posts
    November 10, 2016 3:22 PM PST

Rachael said:

Great read, I love learning about some of the interal processes of the team members, what makes them tick, what they're working on. You guys have such a drive to bring us this game we've all been eagerly awaiting :D

Is that the cave system that was shown in Unit2016?

Good interview with Dullahan aswell, one of the most active supporters of this game I've personally seen (I don't browse many 3rd party sites but when I see something about pantheon hes usually in the comments supporting it :) ) Goblin or a giant 3 legged rat would be a hard choice :P 

Yes, that is Halnir cave in Avendyr's Pass that was shown at Unite16 and in one of our streams :)

• 9115 posts
    November 10, 2016 3:23 PM PST

Chimerical said:

Personally I was thrilled to hear that Corey is most excited about crafting.  As a crafting junkie it's nice to hear we have a champion among the developers.  I wouldn't mind hearing him think out loud about his thoughts on how the crafting system might work...  I understand it's not a priority now, but certainly he must have an idea on what he would like to do once he's turned loose.

Corey is definitely the right man for the job when it comes to crafting :)

• 30 posts
    November 10, 2016 3:24 PM PST

Kelem said:

I can understand the desire to want more then what you are getting especially if you have put hard earned money toward it.  That's a natural human trait.  Let's be rational though, I myself have put $500 bucks towrd this game just as blindly as the next person and that was way way back when the kickstarter was barely picking up steam and then ran out of steam..lol  but even then I wasn't demanding VR give me some "meat" so that I don't feel like I am getting the short end of the stick....hehe  <-------- that sounds really strange for some reason ! Anyhow, My hard earned money was put up front in good faith that VR would not only be responsible with it ( as little as it is ) but that it would help make a dream come true for me and many others who wanted the same thing I did / do... a true MMO ( old school )  I didn't put that money forth so that I could demand my needs and wants be met on a whim or to use that as leverage to demand that they stop everything that they are doing and make time for me.  They have already gone above and beyond as far as doing what they can , when they can, with what they have.  This is a very small group of dedicated people, we have to remember this.  One person jetting off to go make a video of the same thing we just seen last month because the donors demand it , takes away from the team as a whole.  I would rather show some patience, not allow myself to get down / disappointed with the trickle that's coming down the pipe.  Once that valve is opened more, that trickle becomes a pour and there is contentment.  Your money was well spent and is better enjoyed when we relax, let them do what they do.  They haven't forgotten us :)  If I know kilsin the way I think i do by reading his post, believe me, when more meat is available he will be the first to throw it out there for us.  He just wants to make sure it's a whole steak, not just a strip and for that I have to say *cheers

I'm not sure if you were directing that entire post to me or not. If so, you put a lot of words into my mouth.

"I didn't put that money forth so that I could demand my needs and wants be met on a whim or to use that as leverage to demand that they stop everything that they are doing and make time for me." <--- I never said this.

"One person jetting off to go make a video of the same thing we just seen last month because the donors demand it , takes away from the team as a whole." <--- I never said this either.

I really dont want to drag this discussion on too long and hijack the thread because we are really just going to go back and forth saying the same thing. I was simply giving my opinion of what I would like to see in the monthly news letters. I feel that as donors, we should have more frequent information, even if its just little tidbits here and there. It doesnt have to be big exciting news, just little things that they have been working on. You can agree with me or disagree, and VR can decide to do it or not do it... whatever. Regardless, we should all be able to give our opinions without being told we're self-centered. : )

This post was edited by Kromiv at November 10, 2016 3:25 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 10, 2016 3:26 PM PST

Talvaris said:

Kilsin said:

Lol, this is one of my favourite memes but it is true, we expect to shave a good chunk of time off that due to using Unity but it is till typically a very long and slow process if you want to make a game properly with deep lore, fun and challenging gameplay and interdependent classes :)

• 563 posts
    November 10, 2016 6:02 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Talvaris said:

Kilsin said:

Lol, this is one of my favourite memes but it is true, we expect to shave a good chunk of time off that due to using Unity but it is till typically a very long and slow process if you want to make a game properly with deep lore, fun and challenging gameplay and interdependent classes :)

As they say, good things come to those who wait :D But why does that have to be so hard! :P hehe