Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Forum Search Function

This topic has been closed.
    • 15 posts
    October 24, 2016 12:34 PM PDT

Kilsin recently remarked:

please use the search function prior to creating a new topic as more often than not you will find your question has already been answered and discussed.

Perhaps more people would do this if it weren't only located at http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums, but at the top of every forum listing aswell!  Once one does find the search function, the results are hard to read because they're on a transparent background on the wallpaper.

The Forum's UX is indeed horrible and in need of other basic forum features such as displaying the original poster and timestamp for each thread in the listing.  There are a myriad for forum packages out there, why not use one which is feature complete?

Another gripe is that the preview button is up in the same toolbar as formatting code or images.  It should be down with Post Topic button where everyone expects it to be.

This post was edited by caducus at October 24, 2016 12:38 PM PDT
    • 166 posts
    October 24, 2016 12:48 PM PDT

As far as I know there is already a new version of the forum in the works.

I can't tell you which features the new forum will have or when it will be released, but they are working on it to improve the forum.

Of course the completion of the game has a higher prio than the new forum.

This post was edited by Landbert at October 24, 2016 12:51 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    October 24, 2016 12:57 PM PDT

To me, forum falls under Community, which they claim is very important.  If the community has difficulty communicating and finding the information that's already been posted, everyone gets frustrated.  A frustrated community does not make for a good one.

I'm glad they're working on a new forum system.  Perhaps if their UX were more intuitive I'd have been able to easily find that information on my own ;)

• 1404 posts
    October 24, 2016 1:04 PM PDT

It's even worse when connecting with a smart phone, I can't say there is no search because it showed up one day, and was there for about a week, but it's gone again.
    No search, no edit, no reply. Awkward at the least, I have to run to my PC to make edit's if I goof things up too bad, unless I'm at work, and then I don't have the PC available that will connect to pantheonmmo.
    But as Landbert pointed out, I also understand there working on a new setup. So I'll be patient

• 166 posts
    October 24, 2016 1:13 PM PDT
    @Zorkon I know your problems when surfing the forums with a mobile phone. I fight with the mobile version too.

But maybe I have a work around for you. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link "Full Site" then you should be able to edit your posts using your mobile phone.

• 1404 posts
    October 24, 2016 2:00 PM PDT

Landbert said: @Zorkon I know your problems when surfing the forums with a mobile phone. I fight with the mobile version too. But maybe I have a work around for you. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link "Full Site" then you should be able to edit your posts using your mobile phone.

Well that was easy, thanks Lambert, I must have accedentaly hit that before. Now I know where it is. I appreciate it!

• 9115 posts
    October 24, 2016 4:00 PM PDT

While it is slightly painful to use these forums they still serve a purpose and allow us to communicate and interact with each other, we do have new forums in the works and they are much better than these ones, we are just waiting on the eCommerce and account side of things to be coded so we can match up permissions and digital goods to pledges and subscriptions etc. before we go live with them, no ETA yet but we are hard at work trying to get them ready as we want to move even more badly than you folks lol

In the meantime, there is a search function on the main forum page which is visible before you enter into any subforums, so there shouldn't be any issues using it, I understand it is an inconvenience not having it on all pages but unfortunately that is the way these forums are coded and it isn't something we can change at this stage.

I also understand that the edit and search functions don't show up for mobile users, which is something we again, can't control at this stage, but I ask that you all please try to use the search function and edit button as when we move to the new forums there will be no excuse and I really dislike having to moderate people but I must maintain a fair and consistent environment for everyone to communicate in while gathering a ton of information for the devs and myself and double posts and posts in the wrong subforums actually make my job a lot tougher.

Most of you all do the right thing and for that, I am very thankful to have such an amazing community, even helping other members with links and advice while I am away is great to see so thank you all very much, just try and hold out for a bit longer for the new forums, once they are ready we can have a party and burn these ones to the ground! :)

• 2138 posts
    October 24, 2016 4:13 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Most of you all do the right thing and for that, I am very thankful to have such an amazing community, even helping other members with links and advice while I am away is great to see so thank you all very much, just try and hold out for a bit longer for the new forums, once they are ready we can have a party and burn these ones to the ground! :)

I would suggest an hour twitch stream party in Terminus in Thronefast with the devs in celebration of the new forums...

• 781 posts
    October 24, 2016 5:16 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Kilsin said:

I would suggest an hour twitch stream party in Terminus in Thronefast with the devs in celebration of the new forums...

With ya on that motion ! I second that ! :)  *cheers

• 15 posts
    October 24, 2016 6:34 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

While it is slightly painful to use these forums they still serve a purpose and allow us to communicate and interact with each other, we do have new forums in the works and they are much better than these ones, we are just waiting on the eCommerce and account side of things to be coded so we can match up permissions and digital goods to pledges and subscriptions etc. before we go live with them, no ETA yet but we are hard at work trying to get them ready as we want to move even more badly than you folks lol

That is great news!  In the interrim, making this small change would definitely improve things in the mean time:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/application/css.php?request=application/themes/pantheonresponsive/theme.css&c=369
    .search_result
    {
    overflowhidden;
    width500px;
    margin-top10px;
    border-top-width1px;
      padding-top10px;
      background-colorwhite;
    }
    • 9115 posts
    October 24, 2016 7:49 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Kilsin said:

Haha, that would be fun :)

• 9115 posts
    October 24, 2016 7:51 PM PDT

caducus said:

Kilsin said:

That is great news!  In the interrim, making this small change would definitely improve things in the mean time:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/application/css.php?request=application/themes/pantheonresponsive/theme.css&c=369
    .search_result
    {
    overflow: hidden;
    width: 500px;
    margin-top: 10px;
    border-top-width: 1px;
      padding-top: 10px;
      background-color: white;
    }

I will pass it onto our webmaster but no promises as he has his hands full with multiple tasks, one of the bigger ones being the new forums ;)

• 1281 posts
    October 25, 2016 5:43 PM PDT

Will the new forums start from scratch or will the existing post be imported?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 25, 2016 5:43 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    January 5, 2020 5:53 PM PST

Most likely start from scratch as per our PA forums. No timeframe sorry folks, we are prioritising game development over new forums but they are on our radar and something we are looking to do once we get another web developer.

In the meantime, please refrain from posting personal attacks and baseless opinions, all they do is hurt the community and waste time as they will be removed with the click of a button and the post noted for future reference.

Thread cleaned up and closed.