Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Funding

• 159 posts
    July 12, 2018 1:43 AM PDT

Kratuk said:

Kalok said:

VR h already stated that there won't be any r/l cash for in-game items.

Think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at. It was simply an extension of the preorder cosmetic items of the Pledges simply to help things along until launch. I wasn't suggesting a long-standing microtransaction store that would be here to stay. Merely preorders cosmetic packs that might also include subscription time. They do this with pledges already. That was what I was getting at. 

I think it's treading dangerously close to the concept of an in-game store. One of the problems with these is that it diverts resources from game development to stocking the in-game store with fluff. What you suggested seems to require ongoing development of content purely for the sake of making these "cosmetic packs". If additional funding is needed I hope they find another solution.

• 7 posts
    July 12, 2018 6:48 AM PDT

Well, the game is based on the concept of pieces of other worlds being sucked in right? What if one of the high level areas is a dystopian cyberpunk city? Mostly being unobtrusive but with an important mid and high level quest that ensures players will see it occasionally. Probly too late now in the dev cycle, but I don't think it would be immersion breaking to have giant, RL billboard add-space in such a place.

This post was edited by Maleficia at July 12, 2018 6:49 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    July 12, 2018 8:17 AM PDT

Forget whether I like or dislike cosmetics or sale of in-game items on websites. These are the least of my considerations. Two things seem self-evident.

1. If they need to do this to keep development going they should do it. Nothing can be worse than them abandonning the project or releasing it way too early as in Vanguard. We all hope it won't come to this, of course, but I will support almost any decision that increases the odds on release.

2. This will. however, send a very bad message to us given that we know they don't really want to do this and are not planning on it. The message will be "we are desperate".

3. Spin is king (or queen). If they do this they will with a high level of probability announce it along the lines of "We are delighted to announce that Pantheon development has progressed to the point where we can now show the beautiful cosmetic items and mounts that will be available when Pantheon is released. In order to thank the many many people that are eagerly supporting game development we will now make available ......".

• 172 posts
    July 14, 2018 6:34 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

Generally speaking, I'm fully against in-game advertising. The last thing I want to see is a billboard over the city gates for Toyota. 

That being said, I'd be willing to swallow game-lore or swag announcements on the zoning splash-screens with an inobtrusive "Sponsored by Toyota" tag. Just for the love of God dont tie it with any targeted advertisement crap that feeds from my browser cookies or something.

I would not mind this either.  Although it could go all wrong if you are not careful.

Greater Faydark...   brought to you by Stihl Chainsaws   [splash of a giant chainsaw]

Orcs might get a kick out of this though

This post was edited by JDNight at July 14, 2018 6:35 AM PDT