Forums » Secret Class

Necromancer

• 99 posts
    September 25, 2016 7:57 PM PDT
    The bard and the Necromancer have been mentioned in the live streams. Both were said to be planned for post launch. The bard is listed as a class on the forums, but no Necromancer.

I have been looking for a class that played like the EQ1 Necro for more than a decade. Come on guys, pretty please.
    • 4 posts
    September 26, 2016 3:11 AM PDT

Im on the same boat, bring out your dead!

• 45 posts
    November 5, 2016 5:06 PM PDT

I can go for this class, I always have a Necromancer as main or secondary. My issue is, i'm wondering how the Summoner will play as a Arcane based pet/minion class.

This post was edited by Gomok at November 5, 2016 5:06 PM PDT
    • 4271 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:34 AM PST

I think we have plenty of reason to believe that the Dire Lord will play more like a necromancer than a shadow knight.

• 3 posts
    November 9, 2016 2:35 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I think we have plenty of reason to believe that the Dire Lord will play more like a necromancer than a shadow knight.

what gives you that impression?

• 4271 posts
    November 10, 2016 1:09 PM PST

patharthon said:

Bazgrim said:

Dire Lord description: "Legends speak of Dire Lords capable of mastering the crippling power of fear, with some able to manipulate the ‘essence’ of living things--even their very blood."

Sounds a lot like a necro to me. May be more heavily inspired by the VG Blood Mage, but still I see no reason to believe that it won't have more of an emphasis on spellcasting than melee.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 10, 2016 1:09 PM PST
    • 61 posts
    November 29, 2016 11:27 PM PST

If there is no necro, I will cry.  I played one for 10 years in EQ1 and I want to keep talking about my love of bones.  Wait, that came across badly.

• 45 posts
    December 8, 2016 5:54 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

patharthon said:

Bazgrim said:

Dire Lord description: "Legends speak of Dire Lords capable of mastering the crippling power of fear, with some able to manipulate the ‘essence’ of living things--even their very blood."

Sounds a lot like a necro to me. May be more heavily inspired by the VG Blood Mage, but still I see no reason to believe that it won't have more of an emphasis on spellcasting than melee.

Dread Knights in Vanguard did the same thing but they were as far off from Necromancers as Cowboys were Ninjas. The Necromancers were masters of the dead the Dread Knights were masters of fear and blood. Both had lifetaps though, I guess that could count as them having the same ability (A DK  used their life taps to tank and heal themselves, Necromancer used theirs to heal the group, pets and themselves). Overall, from past experience, DKs did a lot less damage than Necromancers.

This post was edited by Gomok at December 8, 2016 5:54 PM PST
    • 2013 posts
    December 12, 2016 10:59 AM PST
    If it makes you feel better the devs have said as much as well. Though I can't recall where. But regardless of their theme. I think there role is Tank. So this might be up your alley if you like being a Necro tank?
    • 7 posts
    December 12, 2016 8:58 PM PST

patrick83 said:

If there is no necro, I will cry.  I played one for 10 years in EQ1 and I want to keep talking about my love of bones.  Wait, that came across badly.

Kilsin said there's definitely going to be a Necro and a Bard at some point, and they'll try to get them in by launch but who knows at this stage

I imagine there's so much other stuff to worry about 

• 61 posts
    December 13, 2016 2:56 AM PST

nunch said:

patrick83 said:

Kilsin said there's definitely going to be a Necro and a Bard at some point, and they'll try to get them in by launch but who knows at this stage

I imagine there's so much other stuff to worry about 

Yes, necros will be in game.  Not likely by launch, sadly.  But still, they know that people want them so they are adding them which is cool!  I will main change to necro once it's added.

• 508 posts
    December 15, 2016 3:35 AM PST

Well back in 99 in EQ, a Bard was my first character and a Necromancer second one .

The main and actually unique reason was because a Necromancer fits perfectly in a fantasy world environment .

There is no power stronger than the power of rasing the dead to do your bidding . Necromancers are by far the most transgressive among all magic users . They delve deepest and go to the darkest places .

They do everything for the sake of power - ready to violate all moral and natural laws up to surrendering their own soul .

They are not necessarily the villains, the psychopathic killers - there is always a rational and cold reason to do what they are doing . They don't hate you and if they take your soul and life it is simply because it was the necessary thing to do .

As they go beyond all bounds and restrictions of ordinary people, they must always hide and dissemble because ordinary people can't understand intimately what power means and if they belong to a Brotherhood it must be secret and hidden what opens a whole rich world for adventures, factions and scenarios .

I didn't mind about DPS, DOTs or pets back then, I actually ignored most of these mundanities - it was just that I felt that a Necromancer belonged .

Clearly a fantasy world without necromancers would lack the whole darker half of any sentient being .

It is not by chance that the most famous fantasy being in litterature, the Dark Lord Sauron himself, was simply called "The Necromancer" . It said it all :)

• 97 posts
    December 29, 2016 3:22 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I dont think there is anything fdor this at all and Dire Lord is just going to be SKv2

• 1789 posts
    December 29, 2016 4:49 PM PST

My dark side requires both Dire Lords and Necros.

• 190 posts
    December 30, 2016 5:57 PM PST

I hope the necromancer is very similar to its incarnation in vanilla EQ.  It was the best solo class and I loved all it's abilities.  It was  probably the most versatile class in the game.

• 1789 posts
    December 30, 2016 6:03 PM PST

Careful, you could get trolled off the forum for using that word.

• 190 posts
    December 30, 2016 6:32 PM PST

Don't worry.  I'm not planning to solo much this time. :)

Soloing in EQ was a different experience than games now.  That's to say it was a lot mor fun usually IMO.

• 2013 posts
    December 30, 2016 7:28 PM PST

Zikkar said:

Bazgrim said:

I dont think there is anything fdor this at all and Dire Lord is just going to be SKv2

See this thread for a likely preview

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4880/dire-lord-lineage-expectations-and-speculation

• 18 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:26 AM PST

EQ1 Necromancer was the best Necro class I have ever played followed by the Vanguard Necro as a close second. I hope they bring the Necro to Pantheon and that it has a similar play style to the EQ1 Necro I could fear kite like no other!

I also much preffered the Vanguard Bard to the EQ 1 Bard. =D

~Sokol

• 4271 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:30 AM PST

Sokol said:

EQ1 Necromancer was the best Necro class I have ever played followed by the Vanguard Necro as a close second. I hope they bring the Necro to Pantheon and that it has a similar play style to the EQ1 Necro I could fear kite like no other!

I also much preffered the Vanguard Bard to the EQ 1 Bard. =D

~Sokol

They have already said that Necro and Bard will both be in Pantheon eventually (post-launch). But I would guess sooner rather than later. There's no way to know if the playstyle will feel that same, but I imagine it would have to be at least recognizable to do service to their many hardcore fans.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 16, 2017 7:30 AM PST
    • 43 posts
    January 16, 2017 3:02 PM PST

Would love a Berserker type class-- 2h massive dmg melee that consistently walks the fine line of "how low is too low of health".

• 185 posts
    January 20, 2017 7:44 AM PST
    Neceomancer was incredibly op in EQ1. I truly hope that developer bias doesn't occur here.
    • 18 posts
    January 20, 2017 7:58 AM PST
    No they were not.

EQ1 was all about situational specialization. The Necro could solo well by fear kiting, but didn't bring alot of DPS to groups or raids so was often over looked in favor of other classes. Furthermore fear kiting had to be done carefully, and in an environment suited for it.

I've seen Beastlords tear through groups of Mobs my Necro had issues with, Paladins demonstrably demonstrate their power soloing in Veksar, Wizards burn down mobs faster than my dots would, and Mages pet tank/kite mobs that would lay me low.

All about situational combat. OP, only in their element, like every EQ class.

Somol
    • 185 posts
    January 20, 2017 9:18 AM PST

I think we all like to have selective memories when it comes to EverQuest. My personal experience was the exact opposite of yours.  I saw so many Necromancer's who would be able to kite and grind through mobs nearly 20 levels over them more often than not. My Paladin couldn't even do that vs. undead. Infact, Paladin's in general were never favored as Main Tanks or even as a valuable group member in many classic EQ group's. Warrior's would tend to keep the billing on that.

Necromancer's didn't put out poor damage - they had phenomenal DoT's and I didn't go very often without seeing one in hunting and raid groups. Nevermind their excellent utility such as a Corpse Summon and things of that nature. Could Wizard's do it better? Of course! But I always saw Necromancer's favored by the community in general on Bertoxxulous.

Sokol said: No they were not. EQ1 was all about situational specialization. The Necro could solo well by fear kiting, but didn't bring alot of DPS to groups or raids so was often over looked in favor of other classes. Furthermore fear kiting had to be done carefully, and in an environment suited for it. I've seen Beastlords tear through groups of Mobs my Necro had issues with, Paladins demonstrably demonstrate their power soloing in Veksar, Wizards burn down mobs faster than my dots would, and Mages pet tank/kite mobs that would lay me low. All about situational combat. OP, only in their element, like every EQ class. Somol

• 4271 posts
    January 20, 2017 9:42 AM PST

Verdic said:

I think we all like to have selective memories when it comes to EverQuest. My personal experience was the exact opposite of yours.  I saw so many Necromancer's who would be able to kite and grind through mobs nearly 20 levels over them more often than not. My Paladin couldn't even do that vs. undead. Infact, Paladin's in general were never favored as Main Tanks or even as a valuable group member in many classic EQ group's. Warrior's would tend to keep the billing on that.

Necromancer's didn't put out poor damage - they had phenomenal DoT's and I didn't go very often without seeing one in hunting and raid groups. Nevermind their excellent utility such as a Corpse Summon and things of that nature. Could Wizard's do it better? Of course! But I always saw Necromancer's favored by the community in general on Bertoxxulous.

Sokol said: No they were not. EQ1 was all about situational specialization. The Necro could solo well by fear kiting, but didn't bring alot of DPS to groups or raids so was often over looked in favor of other classes. Furthermore fear kiting had to be done carefully, and in an environment suited for it. I've seen Beastlords tear through groups of Mobs my Necro had issues with, Paladins demonstrably demonstrate their power soloing in Veksar, Wizards burn down mobs faster than my dots would, and Mages pet tank/kite mobs that would lay me low. All about situational combat. OP, only in their element, like every EQ class. Somol

Selective memories, yes. And also the fact that a lot of aspects of EQ have changed dramatically over the course of the game's lifespan. People's experiences around beta/launch could be vastly different than a few expansions later, etc. You could tell two totally different stories and have them both be true. That goes for a lot of MMO's.