Forums » Pantheon Classes

Best two man class combos

• 37 posts
    November 12, 2017 10:55 PM PST

I had a buddy back in 2006 in EQ1 that was able to do a bard + shaman combination that was so amazing that he was able to kill things that no one else would believe was even possible. I had a hard time believing he wasn't exploiting until I would see it in person. A bard who could twist good enough while boxing a shaman with heals and debuffs and dps was such an underrated combination.

I'm going to bet that this game will be extremely similar. There will be the normal duo combinations that are good and work good together, but there is going to be a few combination, or maybe even just 1 or 2, that work out SO WELL it will take people a long time to even discover how well they work together. Finding that out-of-the-ordinary combination, I bet, will be extremely rewarding.

Given that this game is placing emphasis on CC, DPS, Healing, and Tanking...I'm thinking you may see some sort of CC/DPS combinations that work out amazingly well, or perhaps a CC/Healer combination that works well if charming/enslaving in a feature that CC classes get. I could also see a situation where two CC classes could be unstoppable if charming/enslaving is a feature that they get. Or even if only a few classes get charming/enslaving, a complimentry CC class that doesn't get it could be an amazing combination. For example, if Pantheon's enchanter gets it, they could team up with a shaman and probably kick the crap out of stuff.

• 15 posts
    December 4, 2017 5:31 PM PST

it will depend on the situation . don t forget ennemi will have types of behavior like attacking the healer first or running away an alarm everyone.

• 3016 posts
    January 19, 2018 5:48 PM PST

Wizzie teamed with a Necromancer was fun back in the day,  we were in Skyfire.  

• 696 posts
    January 23, 2018 9:47 AM PST

when rangers could bow they were pretty fun with a druid duo. Also necro/druid with and undead charm and animal charm were really fun. I Think the best combo that could take out the biggest bosses were a cleric and enchanter combo. Buuuttt, I don't know how OP charm will be in Pantheon. If it is nerfed, like it should be, then druid/ranger would be fun duo.

• 690 posts
    January 23, 2018 11:51 AM PST

If it's like EQ then best combos are Enchanter+anything with a mana bar, or Shaman+anyhting without a mana bar

• 945 posts
    March 28, 2018 8:58 PM PDT

Efficient leveling duo that could start as the same race and have a decent chance of being in the same pick-up-group together (due to there typically being a high number of individual DPS LFG)
    All of these combos can be human obviously-

Dark Myr/Dwarf - Tank+Cleric (likely form "well balanced" groups VERY quickly and obviously capable of duo xp if you don't feel like grouping)  (I would personally choose this duo with my wife if she played...)

Archai/Skar - Monk+Shaman (likely non-stop pulling as a duo and can get into any group with 2 spots open)

Several Races - Enchanter+Wizard/Druid/Summoner/Necro (can likely join groups easily if announced as a duo, due to disirability of Enchanter.)

Dark Myr/Gnome/Skar - Necro+Rogue (if fear kiting is viable -  also the ultimate corpse retrieval team - uncertain of reliability to join pick-up-groups together later in the game due to previous MMO experience of "2 DPS LFM" requests.)

Dark Myr/Elf/Gnome - Summoner+Summoner (Kind of unimaginative both being the same class, but probably a great duo if played well and their CC is half way as good as expected).  (If they are DPS/CC that likely need minimal healing, getting into groups together may not be terribly difficult)

Elf - If one of you really wants to play a Ranger I'd recommend duo with a Shaman.  Shaman's slow = easymode (arguably one of the most powerful debuffs in EQ1) allowing any melee the ability to take minimal damage from melee NPCs.  (Being slowed on a PvP server was a death sentence or your que to flee for a melee if you had no way to remove it... I think it was disease based if I remember right)  

Not sure where the Bard would fall in as a "duo" but they will obviously be welcomed in any group by themselves... if there is going to be synergy for two bards in one group (I hope there is), you would likely get groups quickly and would be able to coordinate songs more effectively as a husband/wife "duet".  (The EQ1 Bard is not a class I would personally play at this stage in my life due to the level of attenetiveness required and the amount of responsibility we have as parents now.  Most other duos can go hard for a few minutes and then take some downtime, or if need be one class could take care of the other while AFK for a few minutes... here's to hoping the PRotF bard is a bit less non-stop-button-mashing-or-you-die) 

• 9 posts
    April 1, 2018 8:39 PM PDT

I took over a friend's account and used an older PC to two-box shadowknight-cleric in EQ1.  I actually did the cleric epic for my 2nd box by two-boxing the entire quest, or just doing it on my main SHD and multiquesting the drops, if possible.  This, of course, was after they made Ragefire spawnable at will.  SHD wasn't great DPS but I never had to worry about my cleric stealing aggro when a complete heal hit, and it allowed me to "solo" things I otherwise couldn't.  That said, its usually more efficient to make friends and have them help you out than be a dedicated two-person team.  I say "usually" because sometimes, you don't want to /random on loot drops... heh.

• 64 posts
    May 29, 2018 11:10 AM PDT

This is obviously pure speculation, but I would be completely shocked if the Pantheon devs allow the enchanter and his/her pet (or any pet for that matter) to be as completely overpowered as they are in EQ...especially the early expansions. It will be a major design flaw if groups sit around saying "ok, now we just need an enchanter" like they do on TLP servers now. It will be equally flawed if pet classes are as insanely OP in Pantheon as they are in early EQ.

There may very well be some super powerful combo like Cleric/Enchanter was in early EQ, but I would probably play it safe and plan on rolling a Tank/Healer duo.

One of the Tank or Healer classes will have enough CC skills to handle small group content, so make sure you include that class in your duo. Adding DPS classes around a Tank/Healer core is always easy when you decide to fill out the group. There will always be a dozen Legolases and Gandalfs (spelled a dozen different ways) LFG when you need DPS.

This post was edited by nscheffel at May 29, 2018 11:15 AM PDT
    • 346 posts
    June 2, 2018 2:16 PM PDT

Enchanter and Snaring class. Allows Charm to be used without risk and effortlessly. WIth dual weild and haste, that charmed mob can out damage groups. 

However, I've found an amazing combo was Pally + Enchanter. It covers every possible area. Tank, Heals, Buffs, Debuffs to include Clarity, Hastes and Slows and stat debuffs, CC, mem blurs, DPS (through nukes, DoTs and the pet).

This post was edited by Janus at June 2, 2018 2:19 PM PDT
    • 945 posts
    June 5, 2018 9:25 AM PDT

Darkintellect said:

However, I've found an amazing combo was Pally + Enchanter. It covers every possible area. Tank, Heals, Buffs, Debuffs to include Clarity, Hastes and Slows and stat debuffs, CC, mem blurs, DPS (through nukes, DoTs and the pet).

This does sound like an amazing combo... especially if the Paladin uses mana as a resource and if the enchanter has an effective slow/haste.

• 64 posts
    June 7, 2018 1:46 PM PDT

Darkintellect said:

Enchanter and Snaring class. Allows Charm to be used without risk and effortlessly. WIth dual weild and haste, that charmed mob can out damage groups. 

Back when I was playing an end game geared Paladin in EQ1, I found the lack of snare to be a huge issue when 2 boxing. A single broken root on a runner caused major issues. The Beastlord pet had a snare that really helped. I later added a Druid to round out the team. 

I currently 4 box SK/Sham/Mage/Bard on Coirnav, but if I had to do it again I would go SK/Cleric/Enchanter/Wizard (or maybe still Mage).

I have a feeling charm will not be as OP in Pantheon as it is in early EQ. In fact, I would bet anything on that assertion. I would not plan on using a charmed pet as the focal point of your multi-box setup.

This post was edited by nscheffel at June 7, 2018 1:48 PM PDT
    • 346 posts
    June 14, 2018 2:48 AM PDT

nscheffel said:

Darkintellect said:

Back when I was playing an end game geared Paladin in EQ1, I found the lack of snare to be a huge issue when 2 boxing. A single broken root on a runner caused major issues. The Beastlord pet had a snare that really helped. I later added a Druid to round out the team. 

I currently 4 box SK/Sham/Mage/Bard on Coirnav, but if I had to do it again I would go SK/Cleric/Enchanter/Wizard (or maybe still Mage).

I have a feeling charm will not be as OP in Pantheon as it is in early EQ. In fact, I would bet anything on that assertion. I would not plan on using a charmed pet as the focal point of your multi-box setup.

With regard to the Charm viability, Paladin as a tank class with heals has a type of charm so I feel as though Enchanter is likely to get one that's a good deal more potent than we think. We'll see though to be honest.

• 5 posts
    June 15, 2018 1:09 PM PDT

This isnt charm.  Was it called lull in eq1.  Its just to get a single pull is all  believe.  Got to say back in the day i 4 boxed with a pally/druid/shaman/enchanter.  Loved every minute of it but have to say the best experiences I had was duo with my pally wife as shammy and i would say we rocked but it was just fun.  Not worth playing if its not fun

• 643 posts
    June 15, 2018 1:41 PM PDT

I two, three and four boxed for years in EQ.

For a long time I two boxed a druid and enchanter.  Charming mobs to use as pets.  It was very effective in most situations.  I farmed PoHb that way.

The most unstaoppable duo, however was a druid+mage.  With that you had a pet tank, healer, dps, transportation, buffs, tracking and puller.

I would port to a zone, check track, run to named mobs, pull with COH to clear aggro, kill named mobs, evac, port to next zone.  I would pop zone to zone, farming named mobs over the whole world of Norrath.

• 64 posts
    June 15, 2018 2:41 PM PDT

Based on the tank reveals, the 3 classes seem to fall into the following roles:

Warrior: The actual MT of the game. If you want to be "the guy" in end game content, this is the class you play...period.

Paladin: AE/CC tank. This class is probably the best group content tank due to their ability to CC mobs, argo multiple mobs, and heal.

Dire Lord: The kool-kid solo "tank". Expect to see a lot of soloers taking on low end content, with no real endgame role (mediocre DPS and mitigation). 

The traditional Warrior/Healer duo will probably be pretty popular, especially among those looking to max out a raid tank. The Paladin seems able to fill the Tank/CC role in group content, so I would imagine they would pair best with a utility healer that can also provide some DPS. The DL is proabably just going to specialize in soloing low end content.

• 64 posts
    June 15, 2018 2:44 PM PDT

Morticia said:

This isnt charm.  Was it called lull in eq1.  Its just to get a single pull is all  believe.  Got to say back in the day i 4 boxed with a pally/druid/shaman/enchanter.  Loved every minute of it but have to say the best experiences I had was duo with my pally wife as shammy and i would say we rocked but it was just fun.  Not worth playing if its not fun

No...

The description clearly states the enemy is already in combat. Lull/Pacify is used on mobs before they are agro'd.

If the Paladin can control the mob, it's a charm. If it just sits there doing nothing, it's a mez. Either way, it's another form of CC available to the Paladin and makes for a very effective group content tank or raid offtank.

This post was edited by nscheffel at June 15, 2018 2:44 PM PDT
    • 31 posts
    August 25, 2018 12:32 PM PDT

Monk&shaman. No question in regards to initial release classes.  

Monk because he is high dps, has defensive innate skills such as doge, parry and possibly block. They will likely include defensive stances, offensive stances as well as ability to single pull targets. Dps should be comparable to all the melee classes maybe minus rogue.  No other class will even compare to mnk in regards pulling ability. Rangers may have some ability to pull but it would only be limited to animals.  Wizards, summoners, rogue may have no pulling abilities.. and can  in no way take a hit.  Enchanters will be able to pull better but skills overlap in regards to slows and haste.

Shaman .. well cause they rock.  Shaman will give you buffs for stats, haste, slows and most importantly heals.  They are outhealed better by clerics who has much lower dps, and only avail hp buffs.  Druid may be better suited for pure dps and have slightly better heals.  However you can not go wrong with the buffs, debuffs and medium dps.  

Overall the two have the least overlapping skills.. spells compliment each other to add much greater dps in a duo and much less risk per mob.  Throw in ability to get single pulls more often or the shamans ability to root park... yea your best duo period.

This post was edited by TriteEnvile at August 25, 2018 12:33 PM PDT
    • 74 posts
    September 20, 2018 5:29 PM PDT

I only have Everquest to go off of, but using that I will give you the best advice I can.

- Don't go healer + tank. That's a very slow combination. Warriors in EQ were more like WoW's Protection Warriors (sans abilities). If you're set on those classes, they make a great group foundation though, as long as one of you is willing to put groups together regularly. You'll never have to look for the two hardest classes to find. If you want to do a lot of duo'ing though, perhaps stick with the roles, but go for some more flexibility, like Direlord/Shaman, or Monk/Druid. That way you will have more damage, more offensive buffs, and a snare. (Always want a snare)

- DoT kiting with high mana effeciency, such as Necromancer (Not in Pantheon) + Shaman (Not sure how good their DoT's or effeciency are)

- AOE Kiting with Wizard / Druid, or Wizard / Wizard. Round up as many mobs as you can safely AOE, and rain death upon them, get your mana back, and do it again!

- Enchanter / Healer - The enchanter charms (mind control) a mob, and the healer buffs and heals the pet. 

• 74 posts
    September 20, 2018 5:35 PM PDT

nscheffel said:

Morticia said:

No...

The description clearly states the enemy is already in combat. Lull/Pacify is used on mobs before they are agro'd.

If the Paladin can control the mob, it's a charm. If it just sits there doing nothing, it's a mez. Either way, it's another form of CC available to the Paladin and makes for a very effective group content tank or raid offtank.

I disagree with both of you.

This almost seems like a vanish mechanic, in a round-about way. The mob drops out of combat. Sort of like an "Un-pull", reverting the mob back to its initial state.

I could see this ability being VERY useful in groups, especially for helping monks with tricky pulls.

Oh, you brought 2 mobs back to the group with your feign death? Here, let me send one of them home for us.. boom. Now we fight the other one solo!

• 89 posts
    September 20, 2018 6:39 PM PDT

Healer plus a tanky DPS or a DPS that is hard to pin down due to their ability to kite stuff if you're talking about stuff you could probably solo with some classes but want to burn through faster.  You don't need the full-blown tank so why take their lower damage capability?  The healer is what lets you just keep going with much less down time...

• 945 posts
    October 5, 2018 9:34 AM PDT
    Knowing what we know now with most of the classs revealed I think there are some classes that will do very well when played together due to abilities specifically designed to have synergy with each other.

The first and most obvious is:
    * Cleric + Enchanter due to the high desireabiity of both of these classes and the ability to duo decently. All u would need to find is a tank to do most content.
    * Enchanter + Summoner likely able to duo group content if played well.
    * Druid + Dire Lord/paladin/monk will likely be decent since the Druid can increase the healing abilities as well as movement speed and teleports.
    * Cleric + Warrior will be able to form groups incredibly fast but likely be poor duo after the first few levels without other support unless you can find areas that don’t require CC or debuffing... requiring a lot of down time due to having to find very specific encounters (but unstoppable trio with a support or good puller.)
    * Any DPS duo will be highly dependent on player skill and also increase the difficulty of finding groups with 2 spots available since DPS is typically the easiest slots to fill in a group.