Forums » Expansion Classes

A Vanguard Favorite - The Blood Mage

• 11 posts
    September 23, 2016 1:30 PM PDT

I really liked the concept of this class even though I was a diehard necromancer player instead. The concept of a mage using their own blood for massive power made for a really fun balancing act of taking down your own health for other uses. Far more so than we did as necros in EQ with the Lich line of spells as well.

And of course, I want a pure necromancer class. I kind of figure that goes without saying though, coming from me, LOL ;)

• 8765 posts
    September 23, 2016 6:16 PM PDT

The VG Bloodmage was a lot fo fun and quite a technical class to play and be a good healer :)

• 800 posts
    September 23, 2016 7:16 PM PDT

The bloodmage was my alt in VG (main was bard of course).  Without a doubt the most interesting healer fun I ever had.

• 82 posts
    September 23, 2016 7:43 PM PDT

The most unique healer i had to play in any game. Very powerfull, very risky but very fun. FD on a healer was ubber :) i remember all his transfusion too.

When devs describe the dire lord, they mention blood. 

"Legends speak of Dire Lords capable of mastering the crippling power of fear, with some able to manipulate the ‘essence’ of living things--even their very blood."

Maybe he'll get on or two spells from the bloodmage gameplay, it could be cool. Perhaps we'll see a pure bloodmage class in the future too, we never know. I hope so :)

• 19 posts
    September 24, 2016 8:45 PM PDT

Kilsin liked the bloodmage ! That has to count for something !  Make it go please !

It was unique and valuable.  Kind of like a specialized necromancer from EQ1.

Plate : Cleric - uber healer / undead nuker

Chain : shaman - healer with utility (haste / slows ?)

Leather : Druid - regen healer

Cloth : Bloodmage - lifetapping healer

most games have half or more of their classes "dps".  Boring.  Boodmage I have never seen anything like it, it was my main in VG as well.

Chanter, Bard = unique to EQ

Bloodmage = unique to VG. 

Let's do better and have all 3, so far we have 2 confirmed !

• 4 posts
    September 27, 2016 11:32 PM PDT

BMG was amazing.  loved every thing about them.  Very effective.  Pivotal on many fights.  Very fun.

Some fights were designed with blood pact in mind.  War Golem was my favorite raid cuz BMG was the best tank for War Golem

This post was edited by Lutz at April 6, 2017 5:15 AM PDT
    • 77 posts
    November 11, 2016 12:39 AM PST

I know this thread is a little old but I have to agree that the BM was absolutely tons of fun to play. I enjoyed the flexibility. You were a glass cannon that could cast a massive damage spell or heal. Half of the fun was trying not to get yourself killed by overdoing it.

It would be my first choice if it were available.

• 4416 posts
    November 11, 2016 7:54 AM PST

I have a theory that the Dire Lord will kind of play like a mix between a Necro and a Blood Mage.

edit: unless plans have changed significantly since the kickstarter announcement, the DL will indeed be more like a shadow knight in EQ

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 25, 2017 8:31 AM PST
    • 167 posts
    January 24, 2017 6:40 PM PST

Loved my BM, Nimaa was such a fun fight on her.  Probably the most healer stressful fight I have ever done. 

• 2013 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:40 AM PST
    Never played VG but it does sound like it was a fun class. I hope to see more out of the box style classes in expansions.
    • 271 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:49 AM PST

I never really played Vanguard, but I absolutely loved the blood mage concept.  If I recall correctly there was a similar class in Asheron's Call.

I would enthusiastically welcome a patheon class with gameplay centered around highly skilled management of continuous mana and health flow between groupmates.  Preferably one that required you to transfer flows through yourself.

• 2 posts
    February 1, 2017 2:53 PM PST

I played a bloodmage for YEARS in Vanguard.  I've played many classes in many MMO's and hands down the bloodmage was the funnest class ever!  A cloth wearing healer/wannabe sorc that can heal like a cleric (in most cases), but is still on the level with all the squishies and can be one shotted in an instant.  The symbiotes made buffing a little intensive come raid time, but it was well worth it.  The bloodmage was so versatile in different raid mobs.  Some raid mobs I was heal intensive and other mobs I would be able to group heal and dps.

Originally my bloodmage was an alt character that I change to be my main when changing guilds.  I never regretted it for an instant.  Hats off to my old guildies that had to deal with my newbieness in APW.  I don't know how many groups I killed off due to the eyeball mobs, but once you get the hang of the class and learn to play it effectively, it was a pretty powerful and never a dull moment.

That said, I'd love to see this class added as an expansion class in Pantheon.  :)

• 1 posts
    February 18, 2017 6:02 AM PST

I've played alot of MMO's, as I sure most of the people here have...probably more than myself...anyway, by far the most fun I had playing any class was bloodmage.  It was just so unique and seemed much more complicated than any of the other classes I've played.  You could heal or do damage, had to find that balance between hurting yourself and helping the team.  But once you got the hang of it, it was very powerful.

Anyway, it was a ton of fun, I'm hoping it's either in an expansion, or is fundamentally part of one of the classes already mentioned.  Im looking forward to playing.

This post was edited by Valicia at February 18, 2017 6:05 AM PST
    • 167 posts
    February 19, 2017 7:56 PM PST

Zianya said:

I don't know how many groups I killed off due to the eyeball mobs, but once you get the hang of the class and learn to play it effectively, it was a pretty powerful and never a dull moment.

Haha, there were a couple BM's I knew that were notorious for this.  Whenever we were fighting no arcane mobs I tried to stay out of group heal range to avoid the 1 shot death. 

• 103 posts
    February 20, 2017 5:24 AM PST

Arcane reversal! My memories are full with great experiences :D

• 29 posts
    May 16, 2017 12:46 PM PDT

I loved the Blood Mage in VG, and even thought a DPS version of this would be better than your typical SK/DK.  

An asassin type char that uses slashing (or piercing) type wpns to cause as much blood serration as possible.  This would be a cloth type with that has almost a berserker style attack.  The lower your HPS the higher your damage and innate haste becomes, but the less you care about "avoidance."  They would rely a fairly strong Life Tap line or blood absorbsion skill. Could work as a single target offtank and of course the more natural DPS.  Strong skill lines could use thier own life force to fuel their DPS in the form of Haste boosts (grp aoe??), accuracy, criticals etc.  No Crowd control but HIGH risk and crazy dps.  

Wold be my ideal char hehe  

This post was edited by Iviean at May 16, 2017 1:01 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    May 26, 2017 11:19 AM PDT

I never played the BloodMage but the class sounds fairly similar to Rifts Chloromancer class which surprisingly became the most fun class I ever played.  Using damage which was converted to heals either to a specific tank with minimal AE healing, or with a complete AE healing focus was such an interesting dynamic.  I LOVED it.  Sounds like I would enjoy a BloodMage too.

• 19 posts
    May 26, 2017 11:46 AM PDT

I played a chloromancer to level 50 in Rift.  very hard to die and mediocre heals and damage.

Blood mage in vanguard was like chloromancer on steroids.  way better healing, way better damage, very easy to die, by a factor of 2-3x.

• 31 posts
    May 26, 2017 9:50 PM PDT
    Bards will disagree, but between symbiotes, grafts, and blood unions. They had the most unique mechanical gameplay of any class in the genre. Please use your sanguine shards and bring this class back to life in Pantheon!
    • 36 posts
    December 18, 2017 9:29 PM PST

I would very much like to see a clothy healer in Pantheon!

Playing a glass-cannon is a risk vs reward kind of fun that is somewhat unique... playing a glass-healer drives this up yet another notch! It's also neat to see some of the dual roles a class like this can fit. Light DPS? No problem--we got some nukes, DoTs, and even a charm or two! Need a full-fledged healer? OK! Just be sure you strategize how you heal--one badly timed large heal to a tank that pulls aggro and you are as good as dead. Heal with subtlety for sure and favor those HoTs and runes.

• 217 posts
    January 21, 2018 8:05 AM PST

Sounds intriguing to me and quite possibly alot of fun!