Forums » The Ogres

Classes

• 61 posts
    September 21, 2016 1:48 PM PDT
    What classes are we thinking the ogre will have access too? I am going by the games this is influenced by and see a warrior, shaman, dire lord but what other classes could the ogre be seen doing in your opinions?
    • 408 posts
    September 22, 2016 3:35 AM PDT

Beastlord with a MASSIVE bear pet!

/dream

• 61 posts
    September 22, 2016 10:01 AM PDT
    I was talking more about of the classes they have announced now but I did love my ogre beastlord
    • 331 posts
    September 22, 2016 12:22 PM PDT

Ogres have no class. But they have an inherant ability to drool everyone to death.

• 4336 posts
    November 7, 2016 2:43 PM PST

I could also see an argument for an Ogre Ranger. Or maybe Summoner?

• 1718 posts
    November 11, 2016 6:08 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I want to hear your logic for Summoner as I don't see that as possibility

I'll put it here and say Ogres will have the fewest classes available to them:  Warrior, Shaman, DireLord and Ranger*

*Ogre Ranger will rely upon a wholly different interpretation of the class.  Currently the class decriptions just says "In untamed regions, the Ranger is a versatile and ferocious warrior, united with the land and animals he communes with."  So I'm taking this literally in that the class will be a primitive warrior who commands animals.  I'm not looking at the whole dual-wielding vs bow ranger but more of a 'mountain man' who is good with melee (I'd even say limited to blunt weapons) who can tame any animal.

• 4336 posts
    November 11, 2016 6:53 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Bazgrim said:

I want to hear your logic for Summoner as I don't see that as possibility

I'll put it here and say Ogres will have the fewest classes available to them:  Warrior, Shaman, DireLord and Ranger*

*Ogre Ranger will rely upon a wholly different interpretation of the class.  Currently the class decriptions just says "In untamed regions, the Ranger is a versatile and ferocious warrior, united with the land and animals he communes with."  So I'm taking this literally in that the class will be a primitive warrior who commands animals.  I'm not looking at the whole dual-wielding vs bow ranger but more of a 'mountain man' who is good with melee (I'd even say limited to blunt weapons) who can tame any animal.

To be honest, I don't at all remember why I suggested Summoner lol.

And the more I think about it, the more I think Dire Lords will be more like a Necromancer and less like Shadow Knights. But I suppose that's still possible for Ogres?

Anyway... yes, I think Ranger is feasible albeit a little bit of a stretch. Ogres are militaristic and as such they probably realize that a capable military is not composed entirely of melee fighters. They've gotta have some archers. And not just Warriors that use bows. I mean expert archers.

On the other hand, while communing with nature and the animals may not be a core value of Ogre society, I like to keep pretty broad horizons - it's possible that a select few Ogres have chosen to live their life this way, even though perhaps it's kind of looked down upon by the rest of the Ogres. That just seems practical to me; I don't think it's THAT much of a stretch. Little things like that - having many options with which to create a character's story is what keeps the world interesting.

• 295 posts
    December 2, 2016 3:54 PM PST

I still hope that ogres will be able to be monks.

• 100 posts
    December 2, 2016 6:15 PM PST

Voices of Terminus #39, ogres , linked to time of class talk

• 746 posts
    December 8, 2016 6:41 PM PST

Vandraad said:

I tend to agree with you about the Ogre having a very limited number of classes available to it.  Assuming we aren't getting a complete overhaul of the ranger class, my list actually only includes Warrior, Shaman & Dire Lord.

I have to say though, I absolutely love the Ranger you've described, @Vandraad.  I've had very little interest in most of the physical ranged dps/support classes from the vast majority of MMOs, really EQ included (though EQ Ranger is still very different from WoW Hunter, for example.  I would also exclude Vanguard Bard from my sweeping judgement, as I loved the class).  But what you've laid out here reminds me much more of Strider/Aragorn from LOTR.  Very cool and definitely a Ranger I would play.  Most other iterations, not so much.

• 4336 posts
    December 9, 2016 6:28 AM PST

I retain that a character's Race should very noticeably influence a Class's playstyle. It would involve a little more engineering from a design standpoint, but for example, the difference between a Dark Myr Warrior and an Ogre Warrior should be so much more than just cosmetic. They should feel and play very differently. Of course there should be many basic similarities, but think of the different tactics and strategies that the two militaries would employ because they come from different cultures and different parts of the world. I don't think Classes should be so rigid - if each Race/Class combination is unique, the game will have much more replayability. Therefore, it wouldn't require a complete "overhaul" to make an Ogre Ranger work. Just make some tweaks to better fit the Ogre culture while keeping the fundamentals the same. And like I said, I think it's totally within reason to think that some Ogres would drift from their societal norms to pursue their true calling.

• 235 posts
    March 11, 2019 2:54 PM PDT

I guess I understand the ogre druid, with the whole predator/prey dynamic, but to me, an ogre bard makes more sense. Yes, I realize that bards may or may not make it in the game at release and that's probably why it wasn't an option. When you think about it, though, the ogres are very militaristic, so the drums of war, battle horn, etc. in the hands of a bard seem more fitting.

This post was edited by Percipiens at March 11, 2019 2:55 PM PDT