Forums » The Bard

What Weapons and Armor would you like to see?

• 808 posts
    April 26, 2019 1:12 PM PDT

Looks like it will be the same as EQ1.  Plate armor and 1h weapons (judging from the classes that could use the dropped items in yesterday's stream).  This of course doesn't exclude or include archery or thrown weapons. 

• 4 posts
    April 26, 2019 5:32 PM PDT

I like the idea of Chain/Leather. But i'm also bias to plate for the soul reason of EQ1 woodelf plate looking so damn good lol. I'll honestly be happy with any but I will admit i did like having a bow for pulls even if its the damage of a nerf gun XD

• 248 posts
    April 26, 2019 5:46 PM PDT

As someone who never played EQ, I never quite understood why Bards can wear plate in that game. Would they actually tank at times, or was it just for extra protection even though they didn't tank?

Regardless, I think Bards would be cool in leather, chain, or plate. The inclusion (for the moment) of plate makes me wonder what the theme of the Bard will be. Will they be sort of warrior-minstrels with a combination of songs and melee abilities? Looking forward to the reveal someday. :)

• 467 posts
    April 26, 2019 7:02 PM PDT

I'm so biased toward EQ that I would like to see the bard as it was there. However, if I comment objectively on this... Leather armor. Cutlass, Rapier, Scimitar, any lighter (or shorter) one handed weapons. No long swords. Nothing to impeed movement or dexterity. To heck with objectively, though, give me that EQ bard. ;)

• 70 posts
    April 28, 2019 8:43 PM PDT

I like plate. To me a bards power comes from his ability to inspire through music. That wouldnt make armor type a constraint for his abilities like it would for a rogue per se. Maybe have bonuses for an armor less than plate for the ability to play faster or more precisely or something, that would maken sense to me. If they go with something along the lines of EQ's bard, unless an instrument is equipped he shouldnt be able to use a song attributed to an instrument. Or, it will greatly gimp the power of the song without an instrument equipped. Always been more difficult for me to see a bard dual wielding and dps'ing instead of focusing on instruments than it was for me to see them in plate.

• 27 posts
    June 3, 2019 9:27 AM PDT

Its still pre-alpha, but one of the youtube content creators has already shown plate gear in game for bards.

Again it is still pre-alpha, and things can change.

Hope it doesnt though as I prefer Plate, especially if we get pulling duty.

• 2 posts
    October 23, 2019 1:34 AM PDT

I liked the plate armor personally.  Ya working for that Singing Steel was amazing in EQ1 and you knew the Bards who were the **** cause they were running around in that light green.  Plate armor helped when the quick mezes broke.  

I think the weapons were nessesary because it makes the bards melee and you need to be close to sing that haste/atk/dex boost song.  If it was only instruments I wouldn't play a bard I would play an enchanter.  The epic weapons which play songs is what you live for as a bard or high end raid weapons specifically for a bard which enhance or play songs is killer and made it completely worth the epic raids.

Don't get me wrong I do love how you could get certain instruments which also overly enhance songs and I felt I could help groups in raids more with instruments.

In closing:  I feel, again I can't say it enough, that EQ1 had the perfect model for the bard and if it was done the exact same way I'm sure there will be a whole lot of hard core Bard heads who will give up life just to get that nostalgic feeling of playing the hardest class on the hardest game and making a name for themselves in the ranks of the Pantheon Elite.

• 799 posts
    October 23, 2019 5:35 AM PDT

Welcome back Figo, haven't heard from you for ~18 months. Go bards!

• 546 posts
    October 23, 2019 10:55 AM PDT

Well I get it that bards are Jacks of All Trades and they do sometimes tank, but in my opinion plate mails are too much - chain mails would be perfect for them. I just can't imagine the lute tapping over the plate armor during fight or even while riding on mounts - the most precious bards tool would be in pieces before he/they even start proper adventuring ...

• 799 posts
    October 23, 2019 3:54 PM PDT

I prefer silk armor...bards should make their group look good, while looking good. Let tanks tank. Let tanks off tank. If a bard needs to quick save a squishy caster getting too much mob attention, there is always charm/mez/snare. Or, if the devs allow, give us a limited snap aggro that can only be used once in a great while, but then we are in real danger of getting our nice paisley doublet all bloody. Risk / reward. Minstrel in a metal can never made sense to me.

• 393 posts
    October 23, 2019 10:23 PM PDT

No weapons. They have instruments for a reason. I always said EQ got Bards wrong. Not to mention, plate gauntlets, when playing a lute or a flute? That makes absolutely zero sense.

- Instruments only: No melee weapons. Meleeing only to constantly swap instruments in and out for effects is stupid.

* Instruments act as a coefficient to the particular song composition you create.

* Instruments can deal damage simlar to range weapons. Each weapon type has a different detrimental effect

- Leather Armor: No plate. Why would you be in melee range when a delicate flute, lute or drums can be so easily damaged? 

* Aesthetic addition: for the class, cloth or leather gloves have their fingers removed to allow for the required dexterity and touch for wind and stringed instruments.

Example

This post was edited by Janus at October 23, 2019 10:29 PM PDT
    • 389 posts
    November 19, 2019 1:05 PM PST

Id like to see bards have abilities of, and access to all weapon types at the cost of lower weapon skills. Id like to see a more involved system of instrumentation then we are used to seeing (perhaps instrument crafting?) where we operate from a system where the bards modifiers are capped by the itemization of the day.... This would keep the class evolutionary and without that artificial hardcap...... Dropped "special" instruments and even specially crafted instrus should *optimally* have some additional benefit to it that would make it worth collecting in your inventory for some sort of bonus, (like an illusion or song clicky) as this gives us stuff to do/find/decorate our home.

I do look forward to a new experience..... but I know Im with a very serious group of folks out there who loved the EQ bard with all their hearts, and are literally praying for a "round 2" of sorts and are hoping the devs "nail it" so to speak. I hope their voice is listened too on this issue. I know theres a group who oppose the old model, but to all those who are in my camp and reading these words all I can say is..... Just imagine its already happened.... everyday that ticks by just imagine your playing the most bad ass bard ever made. Literally FEEL it and the devs will handle the rest.

This post was edited by Alyonyah at November 29, 2019 6:28 AM PST
    • 389 posts
    November 19, 2019 1:10 PM PST

To clarify the above I meant 1 hand weapons.

• 389 posts
    November 29, 2019 6:28 AM PST

I propose bards have access to all armor types as they did in EQ, with each type of armor having its boons and caveats. 

(Silk bard) = max song power/max stealth/max speed/min melee dps/min defense - caster group bard format

(Chain/Leather bard) = med song strength/med stealth/med speed/max melee dps/med defense - melee group bard format (perhaps variance for different melee/caster/tank non raid groups)

(Plate bard) = Min song power/min stealth/min speed/med melee dps/max defense - Tank group bard format.

Folks are openly discussing something simular for clerics (plate and woven raiment) which is clearly a non tank class. Little to no push back in their case, naturally. IMO bard should be the class with the most choices to make in any given scenario. The above scenario (or some variation) seems to be the optimal situation for pantheon bards.

Malkiyah~

Reposting this here in case it was missed in the other armor thread.

• 24 posts
    November 29, 2019 9:29 AM PST

I remember seeing this Chinese show -- I think it was "The Book and the Sword" -- in which there was a guy who played a metal flute, and when he needed to fight, he also used the flute for combat. Seems economical...

• 389 posts
    December 11, 2019 1:43 PM PST

Haha that sounds awesome.

• 808 posts
    December 15, 2019 12:27 PM PST

I absolutely love the look of plate, but I would prefer to see the bard in anything other than plate, and if the ability to take a hit is required, perhaps give them a skill that can force/redirect attacks to another target (offensive or defensive).  I'm ok with bard using weapons, but as Janus said, EQ swaping between weapons and instruments was a bit assinine in my opinion (especially having to basically unequip your primary weapon (while continuing to punch the target), then equip your instrument over your offhand item... continuing to punch, and if you wanted to swap back to weapons, you had to do your offhand first, then your primary...  Let the player pick one or the other... or perhaps archery and only have to switch one item at a time.  Again, I love plate armor, but it makes absolutely no sense for a musician/dancer/performer to wear armor that restricts the ability to even walk IRL, not to mention completely cover your face/muffle your voice and absolutely negate finger dexterity.  Alyonyah made a good suggestion with having different effects for different armor types - this could include instruments vs weapons.  A bard in silks may have much higher dex/charisma and have huge bonuses with instruments whereas a bard in plate would have bonuses to melee combat and absolutely horrible performance skills.

• 64 posts
    December 24, 2019 10:18 AM PST

I agree 100% darch, and i think your idea's about armor types and how they could affect skills and stats, perhaps if they were wearing plate they could get a boost to inspirational affects such as group attack bonus or armor bonus being as they are inspiring the group by their own actions and not just their music/song.  really great idea darch.

• 799 posts
    December 24, 2019 8:12 PM PST

The original idea was Alyonyah's - scroll up just a few posts => to his/her suggestion (might have been Malkiyah's)

Darch was agreeing. Just want to give credit where credit is due.

This post was edited by Kumu at February 24, 2020 8:54 AM PST
    • 64 posts
    December 25, 2019 1:43 PM PST

Thanks Kumu, i hadnt noticed. So cheers to Alyonyah! that is an awsome idea :)!

• 3 posts
    February 22, 2020 11:40 PM PST

If you all remember the book series, 'Wheel of Time', there was a bard in the series named Thomdril Merrilin.  He was called a gleeman in the series, but he was a bard.  His preferred weapons were throwing knives and he saved many a comrade with a fast knife to the neck.  His knives appeared out of no where.  He also used daggers and short swords on occassion.  He could appear and disappear at will, had sleight of hand abilities, juggled, did card tricks etc.  He was very agile and fast, despite being over 60 in age.  His clothes where designed to mingle with the back ground making him hard to see.  So stealth, and pick pocketing should be a ability.

Unfortuantely cloth and maybe leather should be his armor, so his song playing and stealthy aspect can shine.  However I understand the attachment to EQ for plate.  PS  I did see that chinese movie with flute as a weapon, it was very good, the hero was very athletic  and used his flute well.

• 56 posts
    February 27, 2020 3:24 AM PST

Heavy plate does not suit bards.

Ever tried dancing in full plate. I thik you'd be happy if you can stand in it.
    Ever tried playing a delicate string instrument in plate ?
    Ever blown a flute with gloves on, especially metal ones ?

Instruments are delicate and expensive, anything could scratch it and instruments are not to be used as weapons in battle. I know this game is not reality, but I cannot see bards as strong and wear heavy armor like those hardened warriors.

• 389 posts
    February 27, 2020 11:54 AM PST

I understand the argument of realism, but Ill continue to argue the point of playability until someone dismantles/helps create it.

We all agree bards play various roles that change according to group and or raid make up. Is that tenant of the class going to change? One of those groups is certain to be the main tank group of which is generally heavy tanks and clerics all plate, because this is the heavy unit. Generally speaking this is THE group thats going to be taking the brunt of the damage and as such bards will need some sort of mitigating boon in order to survive that role. If its not plate than Its some sort of insane song range and bards can throw daggers? If its an activated ability its going to last through a boss fight and be the equivelent of plate mitigation? Im curious what the proposition is. Few here suggesting anything outside of take away stuff..... thats concerning.

The argument of realism is pretty lame in light of the WTF do we do then questions. If people would like to see bards in less than plate Id personally like to hear some plans/ideas for this caveat (main tank group scenario). AE songs so all the bards can try to pepper the MT group when alive and nearby? No one who is anti plate/pro realism is answering these questions, or even showing concern, which causes me to consider if they are even bards at heart or just neck beards. Im not trying to argue for my wants, Im trying to form a mastermind group here that genuinely cares about the development and direction of the class we LOVE..... and Ill follow the bard wherever that group goes.

• 31 posts
    February 27, 2020 12:25 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

No one who is anti plate/pro realism is answering these questions, or even showing concern, which causes me to consider if they are even bards at heart or just neck beards.

Gotta say you hit the nail on the head here. I definitely won't be playing a silk-clad baby bard that we typically see in Hollywood.

Anyone that does any research on Bards will see that any good Bard was out in the battle with the warriors. Check out this book, https://www.amazon.com/Bard-Odyssey-Celtic-Morgan-Llywelyn/dp/0812585151. I really like how the author expressed what a Bard is. 

As for the "neckbeards" (Alyonyahs words not mine) that have never played a bard, we are the masters of nothing but have the jack of all trades! We are legendary pullers, CC'ers, speed bumps for raid mobs and can unintentionally pull an entire zone for forgetting to turn off our AOE mana regen songs and when the monk flops, we invite an entire zone to come to say hello to our raid. Bards (until recently) could bellow a zone of mobs down 3-5 levels higher than us (thanks EQ), swarm kite and be the beast mode an entire zone (once again thanks Eq for nerfing us again). Dont get me started on PvP play with a bard. Plate armor makes that possible, if I am a "one-shot marry" that cant be the jack of all trades then I defiantly won't play a bard. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-vI6mi8920 (a Battle bard in action... WARNING, this video is not for kids.) 

However, I am willing to change my mind if you can make all that happen and put my bard in a silk dress (everyone likes a high elf in a dress) let me here a good alternative. Let the discussion begin! 

• 56 posts
    February 27, 2020 1:12 PM PST

I do not see why a bard must have plate just to get in a raid tank group. There are plenty of other classes that can be put there that will not have plate. 

I can only see bards as a jack of all trades class, an entertainer, but not as a tank class. 

This post was edited by Qulash at February 27, 2020 1:23 PM PST