Forums » The Bard

What Weapons and Armor would you like to see?

• 2013 posts
    September 3, 2016 1:21 PM PDT

I have done a little research into EQ and VG, and of course I am fluent in FFXIese (totally a word). I also went back and visited (because its been a while) D&D and Pathfinder. I would say most of the time the themes for gearing are similar if not the same. Armor: Cloth to Leather to Plate. Weapons: One handed clubs, swords, rapiers, daggers, etc. As well as throwing daggers, short bows and crossbows. And in the case of D&D/Pathfinder only: wands and other magic items through UMD skill.

Over all this is very versatile. Perhaps too? The only thing that seems stange to me is the Plate Armor thing and probably dont have to worry about UMD anyways heh.

Anyways.......

Prefered main: Rapier

Prefered offhand: Dagger, Rapier, or Swordbreaker

Prefered Ranged: Throwing knives

Prefered Armor: Combination of Cloth and Leather (Otherwise how else will I look like a gypsy?)

• 730 posts
    September 3, 2016 9:42 PM PDT

War bard

Main: rapier or scimitar  (if it must be 1HB, make it a beer stein)

Offhand: rapier (love a matched set) or whip for flavor

Ranged: song only (short range is fine for balance), hate stocking up on ammo

Armor: leather (fashion, fit, & flair foremost - swashbuckler style)

Lore bard

Main: instrument, usually lute (hurdy gurdy!)

Offhand: magical item (activated), or alternate instrument if they can't be switched from bags

Ranged: song (same reason as above)

Armor: cloth, the brighter the better!  Looks >> protection

I prefer more support, less DPS, so lore before war role.  I would be most comfortable in cloth, never lifting a traditional weapon, standing back from the front line melee folk and yet in front of the spellslingers, inspiring both.  If Pantheon prefers me dualing rapiers in leather I will enjoy that as well...just hope I don't have to cram into plate mail!

This post was edited by Kumu at September 7, 2016 3:29 AM PDT
    • 49 posts
    September 9, 2016 2:15 PM PDT

Yeah I always thought it was very strange having plate in EQ.  It just didn't really fit.  But, I spent most of my time as a robed Dark Elf, Skeleton, Air Elemental, or Hotpants'ed Barbarian. 

• 61 posts
    September 16, 2016 10:19 AM PDT
    I'm a bard I don't need any weapon just my trusty instruments, I may not take down many foes but I will always inspire my group to do that for me!
    • 2013 posts
    September 16, 2016 11:54 AM PDT

@ Lodgedogg

Completely understandable, but you dont need any gear? Are you a nudist Bard ? :b

• 61 posts
    September 16, 2016 12:56 PM PDT
    @amsai the naked bars guarenteed to inspire the females of the party and demoralize the men!!

He can sometimes be found wearing leather :P
    • 327 posts
    November 2, 2016 12:58 PM PDT

Bit of a rez here from looking at various posts etc and I couldn't find a great one covering this in a single location. (Maybe my search-fu sucks though)

General feeling about instrument mods on weapons/armor?

Depending on how they handle songs, if there's no melee, to have any sort of 1/3-1/2 decent dps we would need really powerful (in comparison to how they were in EQ1) self-dps related songs/dots/nukes since we might twist in one or two at the cost of group songs. It could be argued that the buff songs should be powerful enough with instrument mods to more than make up for any self-dps capabilities, but then you run into the issue of anything related to soloing or say having tank + heal + bard group or so.

On the other hand...

I believe that instruments, if they take both hands, need to be quite powerful if it takes away most of your damage capabilities. For instance, after (or maybe before) buffs at end game gear you might be maxed stat (of ones you need) without bard songs. At this point in a raid, bard standard haste wouldn't matter much because of enc/shm haste, if it has str/dex/etc bonuses they won't matter either. So at most you'd get the ATK bonus if that exists in the song. A simple solution to this is bard songs not being negated if you're using instruments that have a effect allowing the songs to break caps. I still feel like there should be some sort of dps, but depending on how it all works out with multiple bards it could be acceptable this way.

tldr; I can't write well.

• 2013 posts
    November 3, 2016 10:10 AM PDT

@ Tanwedar Completely agree. And honestly this is how it was in XI. Bards were the best buffing class and had great utility and good CC. They shined at making others shine because they did very sub part damage. It's not that they couldn't use weapons. But they were for stats and maybe parrying. The damage was so useless they could get kicked if the we're trying to dps instead of playing songs. All that said. It does seem based on what was done in VG and EQ and some info from VR. That Bards will be able to do some weapon dps as well as buff, CC, debuffs. That doesn't mean they can't be more powerful in one given area compared to another. But I will say for the sake of balance they would need to not make Bard THE buffer class just like they can't make Enchanter THE CC class. We want to be able to use any class that professes to fulfill a role in any given situation even if one might be better than another with situational dependency. But at the very least I think what a Bard is truly about is Buffs and Utility. I would like to see many out of combat helpful abilities. As well as many combat and regeneration (stam, MP, HP) songs. Regeneration songs are always helpful. But I'd like either these categories of songs/abilities to be best from Bard or to be able to always stack with anything (depending on balance). So for instance maybe a few classes have movement buff but ours is Best. Or for instance yes the party is already being hasted by class x but not too worry cuz Bard Haste stacks with all others. Something like that.

Edit: More thoughts.

In more specific terms of weapons vs instruments. There is nothing to stop the use of say elegy and dirge type songs for some DPS in the case that instruments use 2 hands. Just be doing sonic damage instead of physical damage. So still have all the range of skills that Bards have access too, but its all based on song magic (DPS, buffs, debuffs, CC, regeneration songs). Sonic DPS could be both Burst type damage with a sonic blast or DoT with a cursed melody.

Also we still dont know what might be possible with class paths. It could be you could specialize Bard to make them more Swashbuckler (dps) or more Troubadour (songs) like properties. Need more info on class paths for sure ^.~

This post was edited by Amsai at November 4, 2016 11:04 AM PDT
    • 27 posts
    November 6, 2016 2:51 PM PST

I like: rapiers, long swords, short swords, and daggers for weapons (maybe crossbows) and cloth/leather for armour.

• 5 posts
    May 31, 2017 10:57 AM PDT

I loved having shiny plate armor on my bard in eq.  If we're stuck with leather, it better look insane like lambent or singing steel so that I can run by real fast and look like a for real super hero.

• 184 posts
    May 31, 2017 7:50 PM PDT

grahamnash86 said:

I loved having shiny plate armor on my bard in eq.  If we're stuck with leather, it better look insane like lambent or singing steel so that I can run by real fast and look like a for real super hero.

I agree.  I loved plate on my bard in EQ!  Her aa for emergency tanking was fun too.

But as to Pantheon gear, since I plan on playing a Dark Myr bard, I would of course like to see armor, weapons, and instruments made from aquatic sources.

For instance, a whale shark egg casing as a shield or breastplate.  I think the little spiky prongs on the ends could be cool looking.

A sea turtle shell could also be a fantastic breastplate.

Scale mail made from the hardest of fish scales would be a no brainer.

Sharkskin would substitute for leather.

Horns, pipes, and drums made from shells are a natural; sharkskin for drum membranes.

Wound sharkskin stings on whale baleen would work great for both stringed instruments and possibly even bows.  Bards should be able to use ranged weapons too!

This post was edited by corpserunner at May 31, 2017 7:51 PM PDT
    • 708 posts
    June 2, 2017 9:30 PM PDT

I prefer a melee type bard over a ranged bard. So for a melee type I prefer medium armor such as chain mail or the like.

Any one handed weapon. Dual wield. And instruments.

Crossbow for ranged slot.

For a ranged type bard I prefer light to medium armor such as studded leather armor.

Weapons could include a short or long bow but also could use magical instruments that the bard uses to channel spells/songs to hurt their foes.

Obviously this is a very basic outline but for most part EQ, VG, and even EQ2 have done bards well. Plate armor may be the oddest choice to me.

• 28 posts
    June 3, 2017 11:15 AM PDT
    When it comes to a bard and his or her armor I see them in almost any fashion, IMPO, I liked the EQ setup where in the beginning of the game (low level) I could pretty much wear anything. I would like to see pantheon do this and as we got into higher levels and the game expands we could see a more class specific armor set. I loved how in the old graphics of EQ my bard looked like the Flash and had super colorful armor.
    • 1 posts
    June 3, 2017 5:40 PM PDT

I've always thought bards more of a finesse class. Plate in EQ seemed silly to me, and I don't think they've had plate in any game they've been in since?

Rapiers, small swords, daggers, cloth or leather. I like having the ability to use instruments, but also with the option to weave in traditional weapons as well.

• 730 posts
    June 4, 2017 8:46 AM PDT

Welcome Sigh, great to have you join in the fun. Your first post lands in the bard forum - go minstrel! Agreed on plate - too heavy, too clanky, can't look good while making the party look good if you are in a tin can.

This post was edited by Kumu at June 4, 2017 9:13 PM PDT
    • 27 posts
    July 14, 2017 10:58 PM PDT

Plate or Chain with a bard armor buff, esspecially if they are going to be pullers.

As far as weapons go, Long as he can dual weild and quad later.

• 3 posts
    July 14, 2018 8:43 AM PDT

I like Kumu's vision of the bard class.

• 235 posts
    April 1, 2019 10:23 AM PDT

jerus said:

Yeah I always thought it was very strange having plate in EQ.  It just didn't really fit.  But, I spent most of my time as a robed Dark Elf, Skeleton, Air Elemental, or Hotpants'ed Barbarian. 

I agree with this. It was always odd to see a bard in full plate. When I think of a bard, imaginations of a gypsy or some other sort of traveller come to mind. I know this is a fantasy game, but you'd have to think all that heavy plate would make playing instruments and dancing a jig pretty awkward. To me, a bard is closer to a rogue than a paladin or warrior.

• 151 posts
    April 10, 2019 9:51 PM PDT

Just a few thoughts...

'Tuning fork' blades that could slash and inflict sonic damage.

'Bell' maces- blunt plus sonic damage

'Chime' flails

Sonic spears

Shiruken 'cymbals'

Drums (similar to what was used in Asherons Call 2)

• 27 posts
    April 11, 2019 3:38 AM PDT

Percipiens said:

jerus said:

I agree with this. It was always odd to see a bard in full plate. When I think of a bard, imaginations of a gypsy or some other sort of traveller come to mind. I know this is a fantasy game, but you'd have to think all that heavy plate would make playing instruments and dancing a jig pretty awkward. To me, a bard is closer to a rogue than a paladin or warrior.

Pretty sure it is going to be Chain or Plate for Bards if they retian pulling duty. I can relate to Bard seeming closer to rogue, they are in the same Archetype. In regard to leather or cloth, there is nothing stopping anyone from outfitting their bard in that manner. looking at current class abilities from youtube videos abilities seem to draw from more then one stat so a cloth or leather wearing bard to could lead to alternate playstyles where certian specials are more effective based. Its a nice idea if they could, but will have to wait and see how they build bards. 

• 2462 posts
    April 11, 2019 10:42 AM PDT

I really hope it's plate for armor, but I doubt it. I don't see any problem with being armored and singing songs or even playing a variety of instruments or dancing. Plate isn't nearly as encumbering as people imagine, in fact it is most often lighter and less strenuous than chainmail. 

As for weapons? Again I don't see an issue with them playing instruments when song abilities are pressed and quickly swapping back to melee the rest of the time, much like how ranger easily swap ranged/melee. So really any melee weapons sound fine to me, bonus points if they can use whips. 

• 28 posts
    April 11, 2019 11:06 AM PDT
    Here’s my problem with Plate, And don’t get me wrong I like plate armor. I like to be able to off tank with my Bard. But the problem is when you’re competing with warriors and knights and every other class like clerics for armor it makes it very difficult for a bards to get priority with plate armor. So if I have to have a certain type of armor I would rather be fighting to get armor amongst different classes such as maybe chain or leather armor.
    • 273 posts
    April 12, 2019 6:33 AM PDT

I would think chainmail would be the best fit. The reason I liked plate in EQ is it had color, it stood out, on a bard. They just looked cool. A lot of the mail had a very simple appearance, with exception of Ry'gor, and imo that doesn't fit with the Bard. Bards are likely to be off tanks at some point so having an armor class higher than leather would probably make them more useful. 

• 27 posts
    April 12, 2019 4:18 PM PDT

I will introduce my idea again, even though it wasn't welcomed before.  I think bards should wear leather or mail armor, and use most one handed short weapons.  They should also have instruments.  They can choose between playing their instrument, making the songs more powerful, but giving up their weapons, or they can fight, and have a wind up monkey pet they can equip that plays a less potent version of their songs for them.

• 304 posts
    April 24, 2019 3:10 PM PDT

A mixture of leather and cloth.