Forums » Crafting and Gathering

"Made by..."

• 160 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:08 PM PST

I'm not sure if any official position has been put forth on gear upkeep.  If gear will need to be repaired, I think personal tags would be very neat.  I can even forsee a real opportunity for salesmanship and just plain old good business.  For instance, a smith could offer to discount repair costs if you purchased your weapons and armor from him.  Talk about adding complexity to an economy.

• 47 posts
    February 13, 2017 12:13 AM PST

I love the made by tag.  Someone who is big into crafting, especially in a game that is portrayed to be a big crafting game, will have their name all over the server.  I can still remember going to a few select people in Vanguard.

• 399 posts
    February 19, 2017 7:12 PM PST

I am all for this idea. furthermore, I would like to see an additional bit of (optional)info where it keeps the name of the person who first created the item and the date it was made for obvious reasons. Bragging rights!! 

• 77 posts
    February 23, 2017 12:37 PM PST

I like this idea. As is though, dezinens of the realm will already know my mark. Highest tier quality coldark steel, that will make everyone look good.

This post was edited by Nolvu at February 23, 2017 12:38 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    August 14, 2018 5:46 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

VitaKorp3n said:

I love what is being discussed here, and it got me thinking. A thought I had while putting the kids to bed, a crafters quest to become a master, and what would that look like? Could there be a quest to build the tool that would become your "Maker's Mark"?

The tool: a series of steps that take you to different areas in the world, finding different rare materials (some imbued with different types of mana - fire, ice, etc etc.) a robust system of different types of lines, say you have a basic 9 space shape. in the center is a flame, with lines coming off of it like the sun in the four spaces directly connected to the center, with different runes (shapes) on the corners. Or perhaps the crafter decides to go to an ogre camp, and build their tool out of very ogreish shapes (their language or whatever else you could find in their artwork). Fact of the matter is you could have very elaborate and varied tools depending on what the crafter decides to seek out, this system could also open up the door for counterfeits ;)

The idea makes more sense in my head, here is a quick sketch of what I was thinking. thoughts?

This is pretty cool. But how exactly would the tool work? Would this image appear somewhere in the item description? On the actual armor as it appears on your character? Both?

This also seems like it would make it harder to achieve "brand recognition." In other words, to associate a character's actual name with their maker's mark. The mark may look cool and would be a fun quest, but I don't see what purpose it would actually serve. And without purpose, people won't take the time to do the quest. I also don't really see how opening the door for counterfeiting would be a good thing.

Maybe something that's better in theory than in practice? lol

I think there could be a good use for a name tag. It could boost community feeling and economy. As long as there is a degree of uniqueness to the item. If 500 people can make the identical item on a server, the meaning of a nametag gets lost in the abundance of possible crafters. 

But to answer your question Bazgrim; Vitakorp3n has set up a nice quest for a crafter. Instead of turning it into a mark used for name tag..He could in fact use the emblem/signature/picture as a house item. For example to put it on his door or board above his door, when people walk in his room/shop. So in a way he earned himself his own Signature tag as a house item. 

After completion of that quest and receiving the house item, it could unlock the crafter to allow for tagging crafted items with his name on it. So without having this quest completed, tagging your name on items would not be possible. A key quest as it were. 

When it comes down to UI. Perhaps it's an idea to just go to your ui interface and check/uncheck the option; Allow for name tag on crafted item. So for people who don't want their items tagged for some roleplay reason, they can still have that option. 

This post was edited by Barin999 at August 14, 2018 5:47 AM PDT
    • 24 posts
    August 14, 2018 7:44 AM PDT

Not sure how i missed this thread, but i highly agree with having a Made By tag on the items. yes, early on it'd be kind of repetative, do to everyone making iron swords but later it'd be a great source for players to reference for items, sets of the same gear. perhaps make it so you unlock a Maker's Mark on items that you've specialized in? granted that's be just more coding to keep the tags off of 10,000 basic crafted items early on, but i know some people basically said it'd be annoying to see. 

• 168 posts
    August 14, 2018 8:51 AM PDT

Snoochy said:

yes, early on it'd be kind of repetative, do to everyone making iron swords but later it'd be a great source for players to reference for items, sets of the same gear. perhaps make it so you unlock a Maker's Mark on items that you've specialized in?

'

The cure to a gazillion iron swords out there is to not have every crafter entitled to a "Made By" tag. Make it an achievement or as an epic crafters quest that can only be accessed after you are master level of your craft. Epic quests have been around in many games and most are triggered after achieving a certain character level. Nothing different here; put in epic quests at certain spots in the craft leveling process. For instance, if underwater basketweaving caps out at 400 then install epic quests at 200 and 400. Of course this is meaningless if crafting is so simple that anyone can max it out in a few months.

I too am a fan of "Made By" tags, but they got to have meaning. Meaning is not derived from mass production its derived from uniqueness. To keep uniqueness, it cannot be given, it must be earned.

• 24 posts
    August 14, 2018 9:01 AM PDT

yeah, that's why i figured have it unlock on when you specialize on that field of craft. that way you'd be nearing end game content when people are branching off from not quite so similar items. but having a difficult quest change or unlocked achievement be the trigger for your Maker's Mark might be a good option as well. i'd be more opt to having it unlock after a difficult craft specialization quest change be completed. and gain a title and passive effect from it perhaps.

• 768 posts
    August 14, 2018 10:24 AM PDT

Snoochy said:

yeah, that's why i figured have it unlock on when you specialize on that field of craft. that way you'd be nearing end game content when people are branching off from not quite so similar items. but having a difficult quest change or unlocked achievement be the trigger for your Maker's Mark might be a good option as well. i'd be more opt to having it unlock after a difficult craft specialization quest change be completed. and gain a title and passive effect from it perhaps.

The downside for the dev's could be that they need to create new specialization trees for crafters with each expantion. If they follow your suggestion there, this would be the way to allow for an epic quest with each expantion. But again if they provide with new branches of trade within each next expantion.

You could of course alternate between the two; 1 time it's level based unlocking and another expantion it could be new skill/trade trees that do the unlocking of certain things.

• 24 posts
    August 14, 2018 11:40 AM PDT

At the moment Barin999, i know they have crafting specializations, as to what degree it affects your character, i'm not sure. i'm been on several threads about the specializations affecting a person one way or another, most notable on interdependance. but the Maker's Mark could be a relatively simple addition being granted by after you've specialized. though i do see future expansions thorwing monkey wrenched into something one way or another, but if this game won't even be public open for another 2 and 1/2 years and fine tuning launch and pitching ideas i feel is our primary responsibility. as for how it gets applied 

1: The mark gets applied to all crafted items, and simply make it smaller yellow text at the very bottom which will typically overlooked or ignored unless you're actively paying attention.  it wouldn'd be in size 20 font in the center of every tooltip so i don't see it being a genuine inconvinience. or make it so people can toggle that part of the tooltip as a setting. (i feel this is the most likely and easiest to impliment, even if just temporary until one of the other ideas get adopted)

2: The Maker's Mark gets unlocked via Craft Level or specialization. this could also grant a title such as "Master Stonemason" and benefit you passively in some way, like +10% to quality of masonry crafts (would only be applied once you specialize and that's that. i doubt they'll have further advancement specializations in future expansions)

3: Legendary and epic quest objective completion by participating in a raid and doing something craft related, such as stealing a legendary hammer from a raid boss. (some people might feel this is unfair to career craftsmen)

4: Mark only applies if you are max level in that craft. (could be kind of annoying to keep up with)

This post was edited by Snoochy at August 15, 2018 5:39 AM PDT
    • 768 posts
    August 14, 2018 1:18 PM PDT

@Snoochy yep, sounds good. We'll have to see what the dev's come up with now. 

• 15 posts
    August 22, 2018 10:22 PM PDT

Really like this idea. Will give people more pride in their characters.