Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bank and/or storage space

• 422 posts
    February 23, 2017 10:47 AM PST

Venjenz said:

For an old school MMO, you can't beat the banking/inventory system EQ1 had in the vanilla-Kunark-Velious era. But in summary, here's how I'd prefer it if we are going proper old school PVE:

Different banks, like factional banking. 1st National Bank of Faerthale, Kingsbreah Savings & Trust, Hammer & Anvil Credit Union, etc.

Money is accessible in any "branch" of a particular bank and with allied factions/bank systems. I wouldn't even mind seeing changing fees, since I paid them to n00b couriers while soloing Gornit in OoT. To keep me grinding on my money train, I'd have them take all my cooper/silver/gold and turn it into plat, with them getting a 10% cut. It was good money for them and kept me on my camp. Money transfer, exchnage, etc fees would be cool. And oh yeah, unless you find magic coin purses or whatever, money should have weight.

Items are treated exactly like safety deposit boxes. Only accessible at the location you deposit them, and you should have to pay for the extra storage. As in, you get X amount of safety deposit space by opening your account, and then like any real bank, you pay for more storage either one time or periodically. But physical items are location bound.

Bags in EQ before they flooded the game with weightless stuff worked great. You had a few options - weight reducers (10-60%) and pure weightless. In the pre-Laglin glory days, it was Bag of Evil Eye, Large Soiled bag, etc...and the Bag of Tinkerers. The Bag of Tinkerers was awesome because a) you had to navigate through Sol A to find the goblin merchant, and b) they were hugely expensive for the time. 5k plat in early EQ1 was no joke. 

Old school ftw.

ROFL TL;DR make banking the biggest pain in the ass possible? :p

Simple bank, some inventory slots that can hold bags. If money has weight (god I hope not) a way to deposit it. Available at all banks. Keep it simple, there is no need to make this into such a huge feature IMO.

• 441 posts
    February 23, 2017 11:15 AM PST

I must agree with a few above. I really loved GW2 banking. Making a large bank that all chars share is awesome. Playing alts was just so simple and made crafting so much more fun. What I didn’t like was when I was crafting on too many alts and my bank got congested. So, IMO the GW2 bank was a little to small for all my chars to share but they made money on selling bank space. I think it can be done way better in Pantheon if they adapted this system. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at February 23, 2017 11:16 AM PST
    • 409 posts
    February 23, 2017 11:42 AM PST

kellindil said:

ROFL TL;DR make banking the biggest pain in the ass possible? :p

Simple bank, some inventory slots that can hold bags. If money has weight (god I hope not) a way to deposit it. Available at all banks. Keep it simple, there is no need to make this into such a huge feature IMO.

Clearly you never played under The Vision (tm). I have, and it worked just fine. The world was smaller than any current game, but felt 10x bigger. After a night of dungeon grinding, my enchanter would take everyone's coin to the nearest city and I would change it all to plat and then return to wherever they were to divvy up coin. That was just part of my enchanter day...using high CHA and illusions to do vendor trash sales and money exchange runs for my group and/or guildies. 

And it isn't a huge feature. It's just immersive. You do understand what Brad McQuaid means when he says "I want such_and_such to feel immersive" right? Travel much in early EQ1? Dungeon crawl much in early EQ1? Ever do any serious week long corpse recoveries in EQ1? Banking is just another minor aspect of the game that if done properly, can add to immersion. 

This post was edited by Venjenz at February 23, 2017 11:42 AM PST