Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

testing done right

• 27 posts
    August 17, 2016 8:37 PM PDT

One of the major problems with modern game development is early access.  Brad clearly doesn't suffer from this problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/4y7sd0/i_am_brad_aradune_mcquaid_cco_for_pantheon_rise/

[–]berkley78 [score hidden] 7 hours ago 

Hi Brad, thanks for doing this. I know this question can probably not be answered but what is your best estimate at this time of when we could get access to the game?

[–]AraduneMitharaPantheon: Rise of the Fallen[S] [score hidden] 4 hours ago 

You mean to help test? Likely early 2018.

This is a very old skool approach... actual testing as opposed to "early access."  The difference is subtle but extremely important.  I am glad to see Brad with the right emphasis.

Early access basically means selling an unfinished product to as many people as possible.  This always leads to failed expectations which is fatal.

The difference with actual "testing" is that you recruit the minimum numbers of players needed to get adequate feedback to aid in development.  It's about assisting the developers, and only as much as they need.
    • 1434 posts
    August 17, 2016 9:49 PM PDT

+1

I hope testing periods actually limit what we can play and the zones we can access. Ideally it would move us through the world to focus test particular content and class mechanics. Unlike early access, real testing will actually help them get the complete game out sooner.

• 1303 posts
    August 18, 2016 4:45 AM PDT
    Agreed. By focusing the testing the devs can stand witness and get the most feedback in the shortest period. They can encourage the participation in additional tests by those that provide constructive data, and choose not to invite others that fail to provide any.
    • 613 posts
    August 18, 2016 10:00 AM PDT

It also keeps the new game variables introduced to that already massive pile lower. Easier to control and address.   The Core Control concept works but it does take a bit longer. I love this approach. It’s not a race but a great product is the ultimate prize for the VR team.   Keep it up guys!!!

Ox

• 763 posts
    August 18, 2016 1:06 PM PDT

Is the implication that 'early 2018' represents:

Alpha Testing

Beta Testing (closed)

Beta Testing (open) - even assuming such an animal exists?

I *guess*, since a sub can get access to Alpha and Beta, he means Alpha?

Or, *if* he was talking about 'the general public' then this would imply 'open beta'. (i.e. no sub needed.)

• 27 posts
    August 20, 2016 9:53 AM PDT

In addition to this new tier we will be removing the Knight's ($100) and Patron's ($150) pledges from the store. We are nearing capacity for alpha and access to it at this level is a thank-you to the early adopters. The two tiers being removed will be replaced with similar pledge tiers without alpha access to the game. So if you have been considering one of these tiers, act now before they go away September 12th.

They know how many testers they need for alpha.  Well played.

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/latest_news/