Forums » Pantheon Lore

Are different races "compatible"?

    • 132 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:11 PM PDT

    While I find the liklihood of this incredibly slim, I really was hoping for a concrete answer, if one is available.

     

    What I'm asking is: "Are different races able to mate and reproduce?"

    Considering that they're from different worlds, and perhaps even different universes, the chances of compatible DNA is so slim as to be nearly impossible, but maybe something about the planet makes convergent racial change act more quickly?

     

    My hubby likes to play humans. I like to play elves or half-elves. Dilemma!

    As a side question, are the different races physically similar enough to uh...do the deed? I'm assuming most of them would be since most of the races seem fairly humanoid.

    • 326 posts
    July 27, 2016 4:26 AM PDT

    It is not often that I get stumped with a question but I have to be honest with you, I have no idea. As far as I know this is the first time this has come up. I imagine it could be whatever you are comfortable role playing. 

    If the question is will we be able to mate our characters of different races and create our own half breed offspring to play in game then I highly doubt it. Not that this is not an interesting idea but some how I think it is unfeasible.

    As for your dilemma my wife and I also like to play different races. I like to play the best race for a tank and she will play whatever lore or character feels and looks good to her. Now in Pantheon this means different starting areas. In EQ this was always one of our first challenges, to get tough enough to travel somewhere we could meet up and play together. Since travelling on your own was pretty impossible at a low level this forced us to engage with the other players, form groups and make friends. So I guess my point is choose the race you like and don't be afraid to play in different starting areas. In the end you may find the journey to get back together can be an adventure in itself.




    This post was edited by Jamie at July 27, 2016 4:28 AM PDT
    • 132 posts
    July 27, 2016 5:03 AM PDT

    We were mostly wondering from a roleplaing perspective, not a mechanical perspective. While having to play for a period of time without the other isn't ideal, it isn't the end of the world. We just wanted to know if our characters could procreate without breaking the lore.

     

    I'm definitely leaning towards the answer being "no", just due to the nature of the world and the origin of the races. Just wanted a second opinion, or perhaps even some input from a lore Dev.

    • 278 posts
    July 27, 2016 11:09 AM PDT
    Yes and no.

    I think the mechanics matter to some degree, at least in the sense of believability. Traditionally humanoid species should be able to procreate with others. So the half-elf example would work. The Dark Myr we'd need to think about more than we have to this point, but even there I don't see an issue, in the bipedal form at least. (INSERT: "This is all prone to change" CAVEAT). Halflings, Humans, Dwarves as well. All the many similar, non playable races as well. Racial identity matters a lot in our world, but *how* it matters to each race will differ. Or each player for that matter. And "matters" doesn't equal "exclusivity", not in the least. But there's a realty in fantasy that racial differences are far more evidentiary and significant than in our world. Anyway.

    Things change a bit with an Archai, for instance, which has no real compatibility with another race. Well, maybe with one. In a way.

    I'll have to elaborate later. Good question.
    • 132 posts
    July 29, 2016 6:05 AM PDT

    Oh my gosh!! So I can play my beloved half elf?!?! Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! *devolves into a fit of squees*

     

    Now I know I may be REALLY pushing my luck here, but is there any lore explanation as to how these races are able to procreate when they're from entirely different universes? By this I mean, was it simply convergent evolution that brought the different species closer together over hundreds of years of cohabitating in a similar environment? In this case, they hypothetically would not have been compatible before being regurgitated onto Terminus. Orrrrrrrr, is it that -INSERT EPIC POWER THAT STEALS AWAY ENTIRE RACES!- is selective in the races it plucks, and has chosen races that are actually already compatible?

    I'm sorry for being so needy, but this is such amazing information and I'm dying to know more about this as it highly impacts my character's backstory! If I'm going to play a half elf, I want to figure out when the two bloods mixed. If it was possible to have happened when humans first came to Terminus, then that makes a lot of sense, because the humans originally plopped in right next to the Elves, and their societies were so intrinsically connected for that first winter. If they were compatible for reproduction even then, I'd love to have that tragic love story of the human woman falling for the male elf, getting pregnant, then him dying in the Deicide War, and she moving to the new capitol of Thronefast. Boom half blood lineage begins.

    Buuuuuut if they weren't entirely compatible biologically at first, then my timeline changes and I'd have to work up a different point for the human and elven blood to mix!

    Thank you a billion times over even if you can't answer all my indepth questions right now!!

    • 260 posts
    September 4, 2016 10:36 PM PDT

    Istuulamae said:Things change a bit with an Archai, for instance, which has no real compatibility with another race. Well, maybe with one. In a way. I'll have to elaborate later. Good question.


    Here's my tinfoil hat lore theory: I think Istuulamae dropped a hint towards Archai and Gnomes being compatible because the Archai were created by ancestral Gnomes, specifically the Archanos!

    For my hypothesis to be correct, the following must be true:

    1. The Archai's home planet Roa must be exist within the complex Gnome planet Stormona.
    2. Archai culture and language refers to the ancient Archanos Gnomes as "followers of Roa's Dark Celesial Lord"
    3. Archai liberation took place during or after the "Prophain" Gnomes (modern gnomes before they lost their form) were exiled to Skyhold.

    I think the Archai's "home planet" was either a small planet orbiting the nearstar Elos or the inner crust of Stormona itseslf. When the Gnomes first pierced the inner crust of Stormona, along with the discovery of Elos and it's planets, they unknowingly discovered an indigenous race of pure energy called the Aoeyn. After the ancient Gnomes experienced their second rift, the Archanos' greed to harvest Resivore lead them to utilize this discovered energy (the formless Aoeyn) and alchemically created the humanoid Archai as a workhorse. However, because the Arcanos were not aware of the Aoeyn's sentience, they were able to overthrow the advanced Arcanos by suprise.

    Bonus: The suffix -ai is a possessive suffix meaning Archai could mean " the Archanos', or property of the Archanos".

    • 18 posts
    November 16, 2016 2:41 PM PST

    Nice to see an official comment on this type question, which always goes unanswered in other games. Thanks!

    • 1806 posts
    December 31, 2016 5:49 PM PST

    My Ogre and my wife's Dark Myr might spawn a Myr-whale.


    This post was edited by Beefcake at January 2, 2017 5:49 PM PST
    • 4319 posts
    January 1, 2017 2:50 AM PST

    Asking the important questions lol

    • 206 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:37 AM PST

    Istuulamae said: Yes and no. I think the mechanics matter to some degree, at least in the sense of believability. Traditionally humanoid species should be able to procreate with others. So the half-elf example would work. The Dark Myr we'd need to think about more than we have to this point, but even there I don't see an issue, in the bipedal form at least. (INSERT: "This is all prone to change" CAVEAT). Halflings, Humans, Dwarves as well. All the many similar, non playable races as well. Racial identity matters a lot in our world, but *how* it matters to each race will differ. Or each player for that matter. And "matters" doesn't equal "exclusivity", not in the least. But there's a realty in fantasy that racial differences are far more evidentiary and significant than in our world. Anyway. Things change a bit with an Archai, for instance, which has no real compatibility with another race. Well, maybe with one. In a way. I'll have to elaborate later. Good question.

    Well, this is an embarrassing question, but... are they mechanically different, or genetically? Sorry for the question, but as a fanfic writer, these things are interesting!

    • 185 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:05 AM PST

    Ask and you shall receive! My wife and I will most likely be playing different races as well since i'm a Paladin and i'm not about to play a Dwarf. (sorry Kilsin!)

     

    Temmi said:

    While I find the liklihood of this incredibly slim, I really was hoping for a concrete answer, if one is available.

     

    What I'm asking is: "Are different races able to mate and reproduce?"

    Considering that they're from different worlds, and perhaps even different universes, the chances of compatible DNA is so slim as to be nearly impossible, but maybe something about the planet makes convergent racial change act more quickly?

     

    My hubby likes to play humans. I like to play elves or half-elves. Dilemma!

    As a side question, are the different races physically similar enough to uh...do the deed? I'm assuming most of them would be since most of the races seem fairly humanoid.

    • Moderator
    • 8583 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:06 PM PST

    Verdic said:

    Ask and you shall receive! My wife and I will most likely be playing different races as well since i'm a Paladin and i'm not about to play a Dwarf. (sorry Kilsin!)

     

    Temmi said:

    While I find the liklihood of this incredibly slim, I really was hoping for a concrete answer, if one is available.

     

    What I'm asking is: "Are different races able to mate and reproduce?"

    Considering that they're from different worlds, and perhaps even different universes, the chances of compatible DNA is so slim as to be nearly impossible, but maybe something about the planet makes convergent racial change act more quickly?

     

    My hubby likes to play humans. I like to play elves or half-elves. Dilemma!

    As a side question, are the different races physically similar enough to uh...do the deed? I'm assuming most of them would be since most of the races seem fairly humanoid.

    Lol, I am not a Dwarf either man, so don't worry, I just used one for the last stream to show the race off, I will most likely be a Halfling or Human Rogue as my main ;)

    • 185 posts
    February 9, 2017 8:34 AM PST

    I should have known you were really a halfling at heart. ;D