Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Dynamic Development

• 644 posts
    July 25, 2016 6:06 AM PDT

The thread on mob-leashing made me think of a bigger philosophical topic:

In product development, one challenge is to get the engineers to stop designing and finally release a product.  The optimum is referred to as a Minimally Viable Product.  Meaning, the bare minimum that satisfies every requirement.  If the requirements are clear and it satisfies them, then it's done.  Adding extras delays things and adds cost.  Don't gild a lily, just make it and sell it, as-is.  You actually provide better customer service by delivering it sooner IF it meets requirements/expectations.

Similarly, don't strive for "perfection".  Strive for good enough.

OK, one of the cool things about EQ, in particular, was the emergent gameplay.  Players figured out things to do that weren't necessarily intended.  I think summoning mobs, leashing, etcetera were responses to this.

Simple example was the banker in Kelethin - No one thought about the banker aggro-ing a dark elf player and running across the zone.  Well, this shut the bank down for an hour and if he got stuck on his way back we had to get a GM to "reset" him.  So, he was leashed and then stopped aggroing.  These were changes made to the game AFTER the game was released.  The development was dynamic and kept happening.  It was released and the Developers waited to see what would happen.  Then they adjusted and modified the game continually to keep it "on track".  This was often seen as a Nerf but it was really dynamic development.

I think this is the #1 reason EQ was so perfect.  

This post was edited by fazool at July 25, 2016 8:04 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 25, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

We have very smart people on our team that manage this. :)

Moved to Off-Topic as it relates to an opinion of general development and refers to EQ. ;)

• 763 posts
    July 25, 2016 12:50 PM PDT

In programming terms, you are referring to 'feature creep'.

Unfortunately (or, fortunately depending on your POV) there is a flip-side to this coin .... we refer to it as 'management-on-my-back-itis'. Well, actually we have more colourful ways of referring to it - but you get the picture. The DEVs want a lovely polished, shiny item .... the Money-men just want it out the door.

It will ultimately come down to the person acting as conductor to the orchestra (Brad i imagine) who will balance the two needs.

BUT, I also hope the development leaves room for 'players finding a way'. In other words, they do not need to script everything in the world. Allow players to work the system and find solutions to the problems the find without being hand-held all the way. They *will* do it. Likely in Alpha/Beta - but possibly afterwards too.

Simple examples:

EC tunnel market was setup by players to suit *their* needs.

Travelling money changers in Rathe Moutains or South Karana,

'Taxi' Guilds offerring travel services for a fee.

• 170 posts
    July 29, 2016 5:54 AM PDT

I played a troll in EQ and actually had that very same banker chase me to zone, sorry guys. But in the grand scheme of things I think he should have I didn't see it as bad I was a frickin troll he should do business with me or if he did he should have kept 20% to himself. I hope VR is considering this kind of game-play if I am just above KoS does the banker keep some as a charge for doing business with me or if I get myself into town and kill the banker can I raid a certain portion of the bank? I enjoyed EQ because of the faction system I couldn't be a troll and go into Butcher Block without being invisible or improving my faction with the consequences of lower it elsewhere.