Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Early name reservation...

• 18 posts
    June 29, 2016 9:40 PM PDT

So lets say i want to be Peanutbutterman and Frank over there also wanted the name... Who would get it? lool

• 9115 posts
    June 30, 2016 6:04 AM PDT

Whoever purchases the pledge and reserves it first and in the event of multiple people buying a pledge and all wanting the same name, it would be first in best dressed ;)

• 18 posts
    June 30, 2016 10:08 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Whoever purchases the pledge and reserves it first and in the event of multiple people buying a pledge and all wanting the same name, it would be first in best dressed ;)

oh wow okay cool, when does one reserve a name? Ive already pledged my undying loyalty to the cause.

• 9115 posts
    June 30, 2016 5:38 PM PDT

ActionWILDMAN said:

Kilsin said:

oh wow okay cool, when does one reserve a name? Ive already pledged my undying loyalty to the cause.

We will most likely start talking about things like that during testing, closer to launch, thanks for the support man :)

• 170 posts
    July 1, 2016 6:27 AM PDT

I have pledged some time ago so does that mean once we get an alpha to play we can start reserving names?

This post was edited by Abacda at July 1, 2016 6:27 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 1, 2016 8:25 AM PDT

Abacda said:

I have pledged some time ago so does that mean once we get an alpha to play we can start reserving names?

No, as I said, names will most likely be reserved for launch but we will start discussing it more during testing as the servers and all accounts will be wiped before launch so it would be pointless reserving and using names that will be wiped clean ;)

• 1778 posts
    July 1, 2016 10:26 AM PDT
    Hey Kilsin this is a bit off topic but its sort of related and I was seeking clarity. Durring the last stream when you guys said unique firs and last names did you mean combined or individually? For example:

Amsai Smith

Goblinix Smith

The names are a unique combination but not unique in last name. Would be nice if this was Okay for RL family, spouses etc.
    • 9115 posts
    July 1, 2016 5:25 PM PDT

Amsai said: Hey Kilsin this is a bit off topic but its sort of related and I was seeking clarity. Durring the last stream when you guys said unique firs and last names did you mean combined or individually? For example: Amsai Smith Goblinix Smith The names are a unique combination but not unique in last name. Would be nice if this was Okay for RL family, spouses etc.

I am not 100% sure on that, Amsai, I will have to ping Brad or Chris and find out as I think during that part of the stream I was secretly planning to cause trouble or replying to Twitch viewers! lol :)

Update: After speaking with Brad, the plan is to have a similar model like VG with unique first and last names, meaning the first and last name can only be used once but this is not set in stone, we will discuss it more as development progresses, we could look at allowing the last name to be account bound too but again, it's a bit early to discuss in detail, though, and things can always change but I hope that answers your question for the time being :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at July 1, 2016 6:10 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    July 1, 2016 6:42 PM PDT

Thanks for the quick reply Kilsin. I really appreciate it. And I realize its not finalized.

Its not a deal breaker for me, and honestly I could see some advantages to both first and last names being unique. But I would like the devs to think about the alternative. It would just be a nice feature for family, spouses, or even just alts and progeny. Just something for the suggestion box to be visited at a later time ^.~

Thanks again buddy!

• 1468 posts
    July 2, 2016 7:21 AM PDT

Hopefully there will be a week or so notice of early name reservation starting so that people are ready and waiting to researve their names as soon as the service becomes available. That way people won't be disappointed that their chosen name has been taken.

• 9115 posts
    July 2, 2016 5:54 PM PDT

Amsai said:

Thanks for the quick reply Kilsin. I really appreciate it. And I realize its not finalized.

Its not a deal breaker for me, and honestly I could see some advantages to both first and last names being unique. But I would like the devs to think about the alternative. It would just be a nice feature for family, spouses, or even just alts and progeny. Just something for the suggestion box to be visited at a later time ^.~

Thanks again buddy!

Yeah, sharing the surname with family and alts etc. would be cool and you're welcome my friend :)

• 9115 posts
    July 2, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Hopefully there will be a week or so notice of early name reservation starting so that people are ready and waiting to researve their names as soon as the service becomes available. That way people won't be disappointed that their chosen name has been taken.

A week, you should be planning now, you folks have had 2 years! Don't wait for a short announcement from us about early name reservation to start planning your names out, man ;)

But yes, I am sure we will let everyone know in advance when this will take effect :)

• 1468 posts
    July 3, 2016 4:12 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Cromulent said:

A week, you should be planning now, you folks have had 2 years! Don't wait for a short announcement from us about early name reservation to start planning your names out, man ;)

But yes, I am sure we will let everyone know in advance when this will take effect :)

Oh I already know what names I am going to reserve. I just meat that it would be good to have a week or twos notice of when the early name reservation service itself is going to be released and an exact time so that as soon as it becomes possible to reserve names I can login and reserve them all straight away to stop the potential for someone else to come along and steal all of my names that I want.

So for instance if I know ahead of time that I need to be at my computer for 10am PST on the 12th of December. I can be sitting on my computer at that exact time so I can reserve them all at exactly 10am PST before anyone else gets a chance.