Forums » Pantheon Classes

Will there be Ports?

• 15 posts
    June 29, 2016 3:06 PM PDT

If the worlds going to be big like EQ will wizards and Druids be getting ports? I know my main on eq for years was a Wiz and loved getting places so easy.

• 264 posts
    June 29, 2016 3:24 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Quick update/clarification:  When I was talking/posting about overland teleportation I think it may have come across that I mean there wouldn't be any.  That is incorrect -- some classes will have some overland teleportation.  What I meant, for example, is no PoK books allowing un-restricted hopping around the world willy nilly.  There will be restrictions, and some classes will have overland teleportation -- more details to come later.

Arucard, Above is the latest reading on this from a couple days ago.

It seems that they will exist in a limited fashion but the system is just not nailed down fully. Don't forget to Post your opinion on how porting should work in Pantheon before they do nail it down. I seem to remember a similar post in the past so you may look around for that also.

Sky

• 234 posts
    June 29, 2016 4:51 PM PDT

This thread would seem to point to the ability to travel. https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3612/spellbook-skills-abilities-discussion

See spell Gate Novice

• 15 posts
    June 29, 2016 7:01 PM PDT

Thanks guys will look agin must have missed it when i looked.

• 510 posts
    August 9, 2016 5:23 PM PDT

Can I PLEASE be bound in the POT ROOM?  PLEASE?!

• 85 posts
    September 24, 2016 11:44 AM PDT

I like the EQ1 porting system. I also plan to 2 box (if the terms of service allow me to do so), and will have a Dark Myr druid (if possible) on the 2nd box. So please give the Druid the ports, pretty please with sugar on top.

• 114 posts
    October 1, 2016 3:21 PM PDT

My understanding is that they are planning to have (druid/wizard) ports in game BUT you will need to travel there first to unlock it for yourself.

They haven't said much about it tho so it's really just speculation at the moment.

• 172 posts
    October 2, 2016 3:21 AM PDT

They talk a little bit about teleportation hubs too in the first podcast, its right at the beggining

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/media/audio/

This post was edited by Aayden at October 2, 2016 3:30 AM PDT
    • 781 posts
    • 168 posts
    March 25, 2017 1:57 PM PDT

I would love to see a feature for porting similar to early EQ2 where you cast a port spell for an area and it opens a physical portal that people can click on to port to the linked area. I would also love to see monsters be able to follow you through those portals for some interesting trains... :) I am not sure the difficulty, but I believe Unity has the capability to persist an enemy through scenes. 

• 154 posts
    March 30, 2017 12:10 AM PDT
    There will be ports to a limited amount of places.
    • 1399 posts
    April 1, 2017 9:13 AM PDT

Kargen said:

I would love to see a feature for porting similar to early EQ2 where you cast a port spell for an area and it opens a physical portal that people can click on to port to the linked area. I would also love to see monsters be able to follow you through those portals for some interesting trains... :) I am not sure the difficulty, but I believe Unity has the capability to persist an enemy through scenes. 

Ok, even as one that plays a Wizard that uses Gate to get out of a lot of trouble mobs following you threw the gate or portal  would be a cool mechanic. 

• 334 posts
    October 30, 2017 11:37 AM PDT

Zorkon said:
    Kargen said:

Ok, even as one that plays a Wizard that uses Gate to get out of a lot of trouble mobs following you threw the gate or portal  would be a cool mechanic.

I could imagine 2 forms. Exodus had a long recast time; but it was intended as a last resort. and Wizzies had Nexus to as a personal one. Both instant and no mob following. fist is to bring you to the safe spot in the zone, the second is to prevent wizzies from using it too often by having the player locatie to a completly different zone and travel back would be the downside.
    For regular porting I prefer such rift system where you set up a portal for others to use. Using reagents like poles, takes a small time, have a nice presentation on the screen. To port more people, the more elaborate. But not taking too much time. Casting AE bind in EQ1 is nice at the end of a raid day; make it a show, lol.

• 74 posts
    November 1, 2017 6:37 AM PDT

I loved EQ's teleport system... but there is something awesome about physically seeing the portal in the game-world like in World of Warcraft.

It also gives players the choice to click the portal or not.

I remember being new to Rallos Zek, and bought a portal... well, the guy ended up porting me to somewhere very cold, with some very mean dragons walking around. Welcome to Zek.

:D any other "bad" portal stories out there? Maybe some evacs where people got left behind? 

• 2752 posts
    November 1, 2017 11:24 AM PDT

Dulu said:

I loved EQ's teleport system... but there is something awesome about physically seeing the portal in the game-world like in World of Warcraft.

I remember being new to Rallos Zek, and bought a portal... well, the guy ended up porting me to somewhere very cold, with some very mean dragons walking around. Welcome to Zek.

:D any other "bad" portal stories out there? Maybe some evacs where people got left behind? 

Personally, I'd like it to work instead where once the teleport starts casting it give the group the prompt and they have x seconds to click before the spell completes, something like: "Your body tingles as your energy is drawn toward (zone). Give in to the feeling?" It will be a minor gripe if teleport spells turn out to be misnamed portal spells. 

This post was edited by Iksar at November 1, 2017 11:27 AM PDT
    • 18 posts
    November 16, 2017 12:00 PM PST

Would be neat to be able to set your "Portal Bind" to any location - then be able to open portals to that location.   Wizards can corner the market on fast-travel capability!   Perhaps the traveller's level, and the Wizard's level, would reduce it's accuracy - and you'd end up 'spliced' or 100ft in the air - or just in the wrong spot/zone.    High risk , good reward if it works - but horrible when it doesn't!!

That'd be fun. 

• 60 posts
    November 16, 2017 6:39 PM PST
    I played EQ about 10 years ago and was in a group farming the Fungii Tunic. One finally dropped and the Druid cast a port to East Commonlands so that the entire group transported there. He then gated back to loot the tunic for himself. I thought it was pretty clever but it was the last group he ever saw. I guess he thought it would be better to have 50kpp and be hated than to be poor and loved.
    • 71 posts
    November 17, 2017 4:54 AM PST

I actually agree with the sentiment on seeing your portals open up and all that jazz but I would rather that be more of just a spell effect.  As my main in EQ was a Druid for about half my time playing, I remember all too well my responsibilities.  One of those was evac, and more often than not this was something you didn't have time to chat about.  I didn't wait for someone to yell at me to evac, my group trusted me to keep the spell mem'd and be aware of the situation as it unfolded and make the call.  Doing it this way resulted in 100% successful evacs wherein nobody died or was left behind.  If, however, my group members who were struggling to stay standing long enough for the spell to go off, had to actually click on a consent button, far many evac would have had deaths attached to them.

That story about the Fungi though, was hilarious.  As you said though, EQ's self-policing reacted quite negatively to those sort.

• 74 posts
    January 8, 2018 11:26 AM PST

Kurgon999 said:

I like the EQ1 porting system. I also plan to 2 box (if the terms of service allow me to do so), and will have a Dark Myr druid (if possible) on the 2nd box. So please give the Druid the ports, pretty please with sugar on top.

If the game allows multi-boxing, it will die instantly.

No one will play a game with multi-boxers running wild and locking down content in 2018 - it will not happen.

• 3016 posts
    January 19, 2018 5:44 PM PST

Skycaster said:

Aradune said:

Quick update/clarification:  When I was talking/posting about overland teleportation I think it may have come across that I mean there wouldn't be any.  That is incorrect -- some classes will have some overland teleportation.  What I meant, for example, is no PoK books allowing un-restricted hopping around the world willy nilly.  There will be restrictions, and some classes will have overland teleportation -- more details to come later.

Arucard, Above is the latest reading on this from a couple days ago.

It seems that they will exist in a limited fashion but the system is just not nailed down fully. Don't forget to Post your opinion on how porting should work in Pantheon before they do nail it down. I seem to remember a similar post in the past so you may look around for that also.

Sky

And the mystery continues,   as a Wizard player,  I too, would love to hear the answer to this,  as I am sure,  my Druid friends would as well. :)

• 3016 posts
    January 19, 2018 5:46 PM PST

Dulu said:

I cast evac in Mistmoore one of the times we were there, in one of the bedrooms, and got everyone to "hug" the wizzie ..(get close)..evac went off all my group mates were saved,  EXCEPT me..lol That was fun........

• 83 posts
    February 20, 2018 10:24 AM PST

Dulu said:

If the game allows multi-boxing, it will die instantly.

No one will play a game with multi-boxers running wild and locking down content in 2018 - it will not happen.

Well, that's not exactly true. The multi-boxers would play. More importantly, multi-boxing in Everquest is such a problem because it's such an old game. You can run it with very minimal hardware. Anyone with a rig powerful enough to run two instances of Pantheon at the same time would have to have invested a huge amount of money in hardware, and it would cost even more to have two machines powerful enough to run Pantheon at the same time. The cost to entry would be high enough that even if multi-boxers existed (they will, trust me) it won't be as endemic of a problem as it is in Everquest. Furthermore, the developers expressed a desire to make combat intricate enough to make boxing challenging, if not impossible.

It may not be a question of allowing boxers to exist, it could be a question of, can boxers exist, and that's one of the exiciting parts of playing a new game.

• 7 posts
    March 6, 2018 9:49 AM PST
    Although I enjoyed the convenience of the PoK in EQ, I made some lasting friendships waiting for/and riding on, the boats from Freeport to Butcherblock. I would like ports to be limited to higher level classes. If you look at WoW you can see how the player base suffered from instant gratification (instant ques for example) creating a much less friendly environment. I have high hopes that Pantheon will stick with being a niche game with a passionate playerbase rather than one that caters to the masses.
    • 2756 posts
    March 18, 2018 9:19 AM PDT

I do want ports to be restricted, but not by class. Making ports wizard and druid only in EQ didn't 'restrict' porting it just meant for wizard and druids it was a regular income and for everyone else it was a pain waiting for (and paying for) a taxi...

Being able to move about is fundamental to every class.

Make it something everyone *can* do, but is special.

• 57 posts
    July 16, 2018 3:55 PM PDT
    Is there any chance that we could pay an npc for a taxi ride? Possibly after doing a quest or proving we can get there on our own?