Forums » The Bard

What kind of instruments do we want to see?

• 2011 posts
    March 25, 2017 9:14 AM PDT

I actually posted an El Kabong pic in the bard forums somewhere in response to hitting mobs with your weapon ^.^

• 543 posts
    March 25, 2017 11:37 AM PDT

In Melee vs Ranged topic.  I loved that pic.

• 2011 posts
    March 25, 2017 3:19 PM PDT

Ah yes that was it. Thanks Kumu!

P.S. jelly of your lego Bard!!!!!

• 2 posts
    April 13, 2018 5:11 PM PDT

Dhampir said:

Assuming we get multiple models of each type of instrument.

Ocarinas

Lutes

Flutes

Clarinets

Tambourines

Drums/Bongos!

And maybe some entertainment instruments like a Bagpipe, Accordians and Saxophones!

Why did it take so long for the Bagpipe to be mentioned?  Use it for Offensive songs, Pun Intended! ;-)

• 1974 posts
    April 14, 2018 4:09 PM PDT
    • 255 posts
    April 15, 2018 8:23 AM PDT

Bard Boss Fight: Floppotron

This post was edited by Retsof at April 15, 2018 8:23 AM PDT
    • 2011 posts
    April 16, 2018 10:11 AM PDT

Retsof said:

You win the interwebs sir! LMAO! I want one.

• 543 posts
    April 16, 2018 1:03 PM PDT

Retsof - you are my hero!  That is fantastic, though even more difficult to lug into a dungeon than Sicario's Marble Machine, also a bard favorite.  Well, think The Tinker's Tavern house band... 

• 255 posts
    April 16, 2018 1:15 PM PDT

Wow, that marble machine is great. Gave me a Bill and Ted vibe.

• 708 posts
    April 17, 2018 10:16 AM PDT

Retsof said:

I have the next 3 days off and if I did nothing else but get introduced to this Floppotron my 'weekend' would be a raging success. lol

• 20 posts
    April 18, 2018 5:26 PM PDT

I always wanted to sit down at the intruments in certain EQ locations and get a bit of a buff to whatever I was playing in that room. Maestro indeed... =p

I'll be happy with various versions of strings, percussion, wind and voice like they had in EQ but it would be nice to see some crafting come into play for them. Also, gotta have my Bodhrán go zoom zoom.

• 110 posts
    April 20, 2018 12:59 PM PDT

A Tuba. But only if one of the character customizations allows you to make someone fat. The only bard I would ever play is a fat halfling playing a huge tuba. Stupid fat Hobbitses.

• 73 posts
    May 20, 2018 8:30 PM PDT

Bard: a poet, traditionally one reciting epics and associated with a particular oral tradition. 

I know I am probably the minority here, however, I'll state my opinion just the same. 

I personally don't want any instruments. I'd rather the bard be entirely vocal.  

I know blasphemy right? 

But seriously I have always found it a little silly to swap through a bunch of instruments play a toon then switch to weapons and back and forth. I always found it more immersive to wield weapons the entirety of combat while vocalizing the support side things during the battle. 

This post was edited by xaices at May 20, 2018 8:31 PM PDT
    • 149 posts
    May 20, 2018 8:53 PM PDT

If my bard can't play the saxophone, I'll be really upset.

Just kidding. I'd like to see harps, lutes, flutes, and maybe a small drum the bard can hold in his/her arm and hit with the other hand.

• 708 posts
    May 22, 2018 9:37 AM PDT

xaices said:

Bard: a poet, traditionally one reciting epics and associated with a particular oral tradition. 

I know I am probably the minority here, however, I'll state my opinion just the same. 

I personally don't want any instruments. I'd rather the bard be entirely vocal.  

I know blasphemy right? 

But seriously I have always found it a little silly to swap through a bunch of instruments play a toon then switch to weapons and back and forth. I always found it more immersive to wield weapons the entirety of combat while vocalizing the support side things during the battle. 

I actually agree. But I also don't mind where bards have been at, at least in EQ/VG. I don't feel like the vision for bards has been the maestro singing and playing his lute behind their group to enbolden his group mates while they chop down foes and if it was then yeah I think they missed the mark. If this ever was to come to be tho then the disparity between dual-wielding a dagger/sword and 2 handing a lute would have to be MUCH greater. I believe their vision has been along the lines of the bard strumming their lute by the camp fire while ppl rest up and mend.

What I have liked is finding instruments during the lower levels, to possibly switch out during combat, that provide a good enough boon for possibly some areas you are deficient in and then as you level up finding magical gear that have instrument modifiers on them such as swords that hum/whistle/sing/etc when you swing them.

• 109 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:52 AM PDT

Anything made with wood, cords, clay and small metallic details is fine for me. Not sure I see a traveling bard with a frame harp on his back? Unless it's a small open harp one that grants groupbuffs. It seems off picturing it in a fight. Could work if the mob is not engaged and he's going for a lullaby or mezz.

Just don't bring in a saxophone or a metallic mond harmonica. That doesn't fit well with the era they are designing here.

If I'm a bard, I would not risk damaging my unique instruments by trying to hit a mob with it. I'll just use my blade for it. And the amount of damage I could cause would be close to zero anyway.

One could use music to damage or weaken the enemy. Just imagine, singing really false or high key, really loud or that soft lullaby for your kids. And how about powerfull balads like (melo)dramatic opera's. All those things can easely impact a bystander. Not that far fetched now is it? For actual cuts and bruises, we're back to actual weaponry designed to hurt.

• 86 posts
    July 31, 2018 12:37 PM PDT

Hehe Bongos?

• 12 posts
    August 2, 2018 11:06 AM PDT

I think the traditional Instruments: Flute, mandolin, Bongos or tamborine and a Horn.   I always liked switching my weapons and diffrent Instruments during combat to enhance each song for the group. I loved the rotation.

• 12 posts

I think the traditional Instruments: Flute, mandolin, Bongos or tamborine and a Horn.   I always liked switching my weapons and diffrent Instruments during combat to enhance each song for the group. I loved the rotation.

• 12 posts

• 33 posts
    August 10, 2018 2:55 PM PDT

i feel it would probably be easier to classify them as Percussion, Wind, and String instruments for maniputlating affects of songs, as for what the model of the instrument is would vary later on, so a Shamisen, Lute, Fiddle, and Madolin could all essentially affect the same songs. however; there was another suggestion from Kumu about a "symphany" bonus when there are multiple bards in the same group/raid. perhaps if the bards are playing different "models"(or same) of instrument for the same song, then the effects stack to a certain degree?

everquest based Example: say 3 bards want to runs REALLY fricken fast, so percussion instruments would be required, but the best instrument is Bard A with a big drum, if another bard with an instrument such as bongos played the same song, then you could add 50% of Bard B's affect to the group as well. the "loudest" bard instrument takes priority, and the other's calculate into the other bards affect, that way having 2 bards in the same group doesn't make 1 bards songs useless or negligable.

also @Lincoln, i'd love to be able to craft instruments for bard use and home decor. toss it all under carpentry or something. i'd make the most thunderous drum from some Ent Heartwood Planks and the skin of undead dragon's face! "Where pure life and death meet, the music of this drum shall echo from heaven to hell!"