Forums » Pantheon Lore

Deities and Alliances

    • 164 posts
    June 25, 2016 8:43 AM PDT

    Could we the readers and players of the lore get a list of the Dieties, and Leaders of each Race... I.E.

    Their Names

    Powers? (power of nature, etc?)

    Alliegence (good, evil, ETC)

    And what races are devoted to which diety.

    It could help with reading the current lore as there are names we do not know and I might help make the lore less confusing.

    • 278 posts
    July 1, 2016 11:28 AM PDT

    LeonSanborn -

    We will be releasing that information at some point. Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation, class, etc. (HEAVY CAVEAT: we are also discussing *if* it will impact those things. So please hold off on any "Pantheon Dev sez deity selection will give your class a special bonus and that will adversely affect balancing" threads, if you can)

    In short, we want it to matter what deity you select, for obvious reasons. But there's a nuance in Pantheon that may differ from other games: each race has anywhere from 1-?00 deities, or things functioning in a deity-esque role. So you aren't picking from global, universal gods. You're picking from your racial roster, which is likely exclusive to your race. Now, there may still be some crossover between "like" deities, and that's the part we're working through now. So if you pick a God of Death for the Ogres, shouldn't that breed some familiarity with the followers of a similar god among the Dark Myr? We think so.

    When we've got those details worked out, I'm sure we'll have releases that help you acclimate and understand the Gods -- or similar beings -- of each race. We want you to know who you're serving, as much as you can.

    Apologies on the lore not having a fuller explanation inherently in it. I will work on a post that sheds some light on that, or may just ammend the currently posted stuff.

    Thanks!

    • 75 posts
    July 1, 2016 11:58 AM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

    LeonSanborn -

    We will be releasing that information at some point. Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation, class, etc. (HEAVY CAVEAT: we are also discussing *if* it will impact those things. So please hold off on any "Pantheon Dev sez deity selection will give your class a special bonus and that will adversely affect balancing" threads, if you can)

    In short, we want it to matter what deity you select, for obvious reasons. But there's a nuance in Pantheon that may differ from other games: each race has anywhere from 1-?00 deities, or things functioning in a deity-esque role. So you aren't picking from global, universal gods. You're picking from your racial roster, which is likely exclusive to your race. Now, there may still be some crossover between "like" deities, and that's the part we're working through now. So if you pick a God of Death for the Ogres, shouldn't that breed some familiarity with the followers of a similar god among the Dark Myr? We think so.

    When we've got those details worked out, I'm sure we'll have releases that help you acclimate and understand the Gods -- or similar beings -- of each race. We want you to know who you're serving, as much as you can.

    Apologies on the lore not having a fuller explanation inherently in it. I will work on a post that sheds some light on that, or may just ammend the currently posted stuff.

    Thanks!

    Ooo! I like where this could go *if it happens*. :P

    • 164 posts
    July 5, 2016 10:53 PM PDT

    Kobrashade said:

    Istuulamae said:

    LeonSanborn -

    We will be releasing that information at some point. Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation, class, etc. (HEAVY CAVEAT: we are also discussing *if* it will impact those things. So please hold off on any "Pantheon Dev sez deity selection will give your class a special bonus and that will adversely affect balancing" threads, if you can)

    In short, we want it to matter what deity you select, for obvious reasons. But there's a nuance in Pantheon that may differ from other games: each race has anywhere from 1-?00 deities, or things functioning in a deity-esque role. So you aren't picking from global, universal gods. You're picking from your racial roster, which is likely exclusive to your race. Now, there may still be some crossover between "like" deities, and that's the part we're working through now. So if you pick a God of Death for the Ogres, shouldn't that breed some familiarity with the followers of a similar god among the Dark Myr? We think so.

    When we've got those details worked out, I'm sure we'll have releases that help you acclimate and understand the Gods -- or similar beings -- of each race. We want you to know who you're serving, as much as you can.

    Apologies on the lore not having a fuller explanation inherently in it. I will work on a post that sheds some light on that, or may just ammend the currently posted stuff.

    Thanks!

    Ooo! I like where this could go *if it happens*. :P

     

    Sweet thanks Kilsin, I was just curious if it was something like EQ whereas it only had a limited amount of Dieties and you could only pick specific ones based off your class IIRC. But that seems pretty interesting.


    This post was edited by LeonSanborn at July 5, 2016 10:54 PM PDT
    • Moderator
    • 8497 posts
    July 6, 2016 8:18 AM PDT

    LeonSanborn said:

    Kobrashade said:

    Istuulamae said:

    LeonSanborn -

    We will be releasing that information at some point. Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation, class, etc. (HEAVY CAVEAT: we are also discussing *if* it will impact those things. So please hold off on any "Pantheon Dev sez deity selection will give your class a special bonus and that will adversely affect balancing" threads, if you can)

    In short, we want it to matter what deity you select, for obvious reasons. But there's a nuance in Pantheon that may differ from other games: each race has anywhere from 1-?00 deities, or things functioning in a deity-esque role. So you aren't picking from global, universal gods. You're picking from your racial roster, which is likely exclusive to your race. Now, there may still be some crossover between "like" deities, and that's the part we're working through now. So if you pick a God of Death for the Ogres, shouldn't that breed some familiarity with the followers of a similar god among the Dark Myr? We think so.

    When we've got those details worked out, I'm sure we'll have releases that help you acclimate and understand the Gods -- or similar beings -- of each race. We want you to know who you're serving, as much as you can.

    Apologies on the lore not having a fuller explanation inherently in it. I will work on a post that sheds some light on that, or may just ammend the currently posted stuff.

    Thanks!

    Ooo! I like where this could go *if it happens*. :P

     

    Sweet thanks Kilsin, I was just curious if it was something like EQ whereas it only had a limited amount of Dieties and you could only pick specific ones based off your class IIRC. But that seems pretty interesting.

    That was Istuulamae (Justin) replying, our Lead Writer and Lore Master ;)

    • 500 posts
    July 6, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

    Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation

    Will there be an option for those who want to be 'godless' ? This is something like picking an alignment for me. People can learn and grow and become different alignments as their life progresses. They can also pick and choose a God which represents them later on as well. Sometimes it's a very personal thing, picking that diety, or choosing to go without.

     

    -Todd

    • 278 posts
    July 6, 2016 10:00 AM PDT

    tehtawd said:

    Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation

    Will there be an option for those who want to be 'godless' ? This is something like picking an alignment for me. People can learn and grow and become different alignments as their life progresses. They can also pick and choose a God which represents them later on as well. Sometimes it's a very personal thing, picking that diety, or choosing to go without.

     

    -Todd

     

    Todd -

    In some form or fashion, for sure. The way this manifests on Terminus may not be exactly the same as on Earth, and may vary a bit by race. Dieties play a significant role in our world, namesake of the game aside, so we want all options to carry a natural significance. But regardless, choosing not to follow a deity will be an option. 

    • 500 posts
    July 6, 2016 10:18 AM PDT
    Awesome, that's good to know. Thank you ... IstuulaBRO.

    Lol

    #thathappened

    ;)

    Sent via mobile

    -Todd
    • 278 posts
    July 6, 2016 2:07 PM PDT

    tehtawd said: Awesome, that's good to know. Thank you ... IstuulaBRO. Lol #thathappened ;) Sent via mobile -Todd

    You've really done it this time, Todd. 

    • 500 posts
    July 6, 2016 3:01 PM PDT
    Lol.
    Or BROadune.

    Ok I'll stop derailing.

    Sent via mobile

    -Todd
    • 164 posts
    July 19, 2016 5:50 AM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

     

    That was Istuulamae (Justin) replying, our Lead Writer and Lore Master ;)

     

    Ah my Bad, You had a different image before, so I auto thought you were kilsin. XD

    • 106 posts
    August 11, 2016 10:19 AM PDT

    Dear Istuulamae, thank you very much for participating in our discussions. :) I love them since I am a lore lover and personally find this aspect to be the most important element of every game (together with combat). (I am an old book worm heh).

    Could you please, if you have the time, give us your thoughts on the idea of Gods giving peculiar "possibilities" to dedicated players of said God(ess), group of Gods? As a long time (over 15 years) player of DnD I am thinking in terms of "Favored Soul" a popular template in DnD capable of being applicated in many different options within a MMO. Unfortunately I cannot recall an active gaming world developed in such a way that the gamers are being awarded (or punished?) by powers upon high. Game mechanics wise it really could be deployed in the simplest possible way - let's say a GM taking the role of a God's avatar and rewarding a certain player (or even a group of players) with specific (even permanent) boons. They could range from pure RP prestige awards to real in game (although not game breaking surely) boons like for instance 1% more xp when in dungeons, or 2% higher critical strike chance to your group when in open world (or when hunting a specific type of an encounter/boss/monster - like the Ranger's favored enemy in DnD) - the possibilities are endless surely. 

    My question is : Is such thinking in line with the lore of Pantheon? I will be playing a Dire Lord and would really love to be able to RP-it and dedicate myself to it in such regard to be "officially" awarded by my divine protector whoever he might be (even if he is a "Sithis"-like deity XD )

    Thank you in advance,

    C.


    This post was edited by Cler1c at August 11, 2016 10:33 AM PDT
    • 1179 posts
    December 18, 2016 6:21 AM PST

    Great to know that deity choice will be a part of character creation in this game.  I've always been an agnostic kind of guy, but it's still important to me that the choice is there.  I'd also love to see multiple settlements for some of the races, sort of like Qeynos and Freeport, and having your deity selection determine where you start out in some cases.

    • 1789 posts
    December 18, 2016 7:57 AM PST

    I would like to see an option to change your god later in the game.

    • 296 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:18 AM PST

    Well, not to plug my own posts too much Leon but if you're confused about the current lore and/or are interested in seeing what gods we know of laid out in a simple format I'll have a post in a few days doing exactly that. Obviously it'll only be current and not a complete listing of the pantheons but it should help to keep things easily navigable.

    • 1179 posts
    December 18, 2016 12:23 PM PST

    That would be pretty sweet if you could change your god, but it would have to be pretty involved.  Maybe you'd have to max certain factions and then do an epic quest.

    • 1789 posts
    December 18, 2016 12:26 PM PST

    Don't mind it being difficult or time consuming as long as it's an option.

    • 111 posts
    February 9, 2019 7:39 PM PST

    really hoping we get deities

    • 38 posts
    February 13, 2019 7:51 PM PST

    PRAS LADY SYRONAI

    • 220 posts
    March 11, 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    I know that I’m (hopefully not too) late to this conversation, but would like to throw in my two cents. For the purposes of this discussion, I’ll use the dwarven pantheon, as several of the players in it are named and we know a bit about them.

    Throughout our own history, deities have been aspects of human behavior or represented phenomena that were as of yet unexplained. Ares – god of war, Athena – goddess of wisdom, Hades – god of the underworld: the list goes on and on, all countries and time periods. It seems that PRotF is following along with that.

    In the story of the dwarves, we have Lock, Ehn, and Hammur, the ruling head of their pantheon. We also know of Khazas, Ry’Fel and Rhazik. All of these mentioned have one common philosophy: Peace through strength. What they probably don’t have in common, however, is what that looks like. The Triumvirate could function as stability. For Khazas, that might mean as long as his children are strong, others wouldn’t dare attack. For Ry’Fel, it might mean that the dwarves should share their strength with others by forming alliances. For Rhazik, strength might mean conquest and crushing any who would threaten them.

    In the light of these varying interpretations, which dwarven deity you select should have a significant impact on your starting faction positions. Selecting Rhazik, for example, might make you more friendly with the ogres, since they share a similar mindset. Others, like the Dark Myr, may like the fact you follow a rage filled patron bent on the destruction of one within his own pantheon. Still others, like the gnomes, may or may not care who you choose to serve. You’re short and that’s good enough!

    The bonuses associated with your selected deity should matter, but not be game breaking. The Triumvirate could offer +X% stun resist or +X% resist to movement impairing effects. Khazas might give +strength (or +class primary stat?). In the interest of helping other citizens of Terminus, Ry’Fel might offer +X% to your perception. Rhazik could give you +X% damage bonus for Y seconds if you take Z% damage in a single attack. There could be an unknown deity who enjoys a good beer and doesn’t like to be interrupted. Perhaps that deity would give you an ability called Drunken Stooper: If you take X% of your health in damage, you share your Dwarven Stout, reducing your target’s intelligence to 1 for X seconds. If that target is drained of its mana while under this effect, it will be zero when this effect wears off. Of course, NPC’s regenerate much faster than players, so the mana would return quickly, but it would give your party a breather if it’s hurting. Party Pooper: You’re the life of the party! If you become stunned or charmed, your group gains -X% to ability cooldowns and spell casting speed for Y seconds to get the party started again. Lots of possibilities.

    Altars

    I really liked this idea in EQ2. It was honestly a little disappointing when all you got from sacrificing gear to your god was a timed buff. What I would like to see is story. Each deity has their own agenda, sometimes meshing with others in their own and other pantheons. I would like those sacrifices to give us insight. Different offerings could even trigger different parts of the story. For example, offering a really nice dagger might give you a starting point to learn about the Black Rose or a deity specific dagger skill, if you happen to be a class that can wield them. If you offer something crafted, maybe that deity will start you on the path to finding/learning a better recipe with certain bonuses, and the reason for its creation. Offering bone chips might prompt your patron deity to point you in the direction of a priest that can help you gain a bonus or resist to certain skeletal or undead mobs while telling you about their origins on Terminus. Offering an item that’s associated with another deity within your own pantheon (even another race’s) might start a chain of quests where you can learn about that pantheon, deity or race. It would be a fairly massive undertaking, depending on how far you wanted to go with this, but hey, massive IS the first part of MMORPG, right?

    • 220 posts
    March 11, 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    This next bit is taken from what we know about the Age of Chaos. To me, the most intriguing aspect of this is the power behind the Emissary. Is this a malevolent or benevolent force? It is clearly immensely powerful, as evidenced by the fact that its emissary muzzled the great dragon king with one (much smaller) hand. I would like to see an option to follow this ‘unknown deity.’ I’d even like to see a faction check, good or bad, with this force as we adventure on Terminus. This force might even indirectly aid those who are working (knowingly or not) toward the same ends, possibly giving us insight into who they are, why we’re really here, why the dragons agreed to retreat, etc. Who knows, being in this power’s good graces might just prove beneficial in the future.

    The games I’ve enjoyed more than any others are the ones where your choices mattered and had a real impact on you and the world around you. They opened some doors and closed others. Sure, it would be nice to see everything in the lifetime of one character, but I’d rather see it through several different pairs of eyes.

    • 245 posts
    March 13, 2019 9:32 AM PDT

     Really interested in seeing the diety line-up and of course here's hoping there will be a dragon-deity like

    • 220 posts
    June 6, 2019 8:58 AM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

    LeonSanborn -

    We will be releasing that information at some point. Right now we are focusing on how picking a deity will impact char creation, class, etc. (HEAVY CAVEAT: we are also discussing *if* it will impact those things. So please hold off on any "Pantheon Dev sez deity selection will give your class a special bonus and that will adversely affect balancing" threads, if you can)

    In short, we want it to matter what deity you select, for obvus rioeasons. But there's a nuance in Pantheon that may differ from other games: each race has anywhere from 1-?00 deities, or things functioning in a deity-esque role. So you aren't picking from global, universal gods. You're picking from your racial roster, which is likely exclusive to your race. Now, there may still be some crossover between "like" deities, and that's the part we're working through now. So if you pick a God of Death for the Ogres, shouldn't that breed some familiarity with the followers of a similar god among the Dark Myr? We think so.

    When we've got those details worked out, I'm sure we'll have releases that help you acclimate and understand the Gods -- or similar beings -- of each race. We want you to know who you're serving, as much as you can.

    Apologies on the lore not having a fuller explanation inherently in it. I will work on a post that sheds some light on that, or may just ammend the currently posted stuff.

    Thanks!

    Please, please, please take your time with this. Personally, I'd be fine waiting another few months for these choices to matter significantly. This adds such depth and complexity.