Forums » The Dire Lord

Dark Knight

• 339 posts
    October 25, 2018 5:00 AM PDT

I think the Lord argument can be applied to other classes as well to some degree. If you're a freshly created Sorceror with two spells to your name, does that seem worthy of the title "Sorceror"? At best that sounds like an apprentice of some sort. Unfortunately the same name needs to apply throughout an entire rags to riches story, so we need to be a bit lenient.

I might like to see changing class titles every 10 levels or so, but it might not work out well. Like Sorceror's Apprentice, Sorceror's Initiate, etc. (might be tough to come up with 5 good versions for each class).  I'm a huge fan of the EQ style progression where you start out barely being able to kill bats, snakes, and rats, but others want a more heroic start to their story and I heard many people complain about that.

• 1148 posts
    October 25, 2018 11:00 AM PDT

Ainadak said:

I think the Lord argument can be applied to other classes as well to some degree. If you're a freshly created Sorceror with two spells to your name, does that seem worthy of the title "Sorceror"? At best that sounds like an apprentice of some sort. Unfortunately the same name needs to apply throughout an entire rags to riches story, so we need to be a bit lenient.

I might like to see changing class titles every 10 levels or so, but it might not work out well. Like Sorceror's Apprentice, Sorceror's Initiate, etc. (might be tough to come up with 5 good versions for each class).  I'm a huge fan of the EQ style progression where you start out barely being able to kill bats, snakes, and rats, but others want a more heroic start to their story and I heard many people complain about that.

Not really as problematic to me. A Sorcerer, a Magician, are all basic roles. There are titles like Archmage, Warlock, Spellbinder or such that can really illustrate the improvement from a basic class to an advanced state of the same school.

• 2035 posts
    October 25, 2018 4:36 PM PDT

In Star Wars there were Sith Lords, which was anyone who followed the Sith tradition. Masters and apprentices alike were called lords. 

That said, whose to say there aren't more prestigious titles for more seasoned dire lords? Even if there aren't, when I see someone doing very well at something I might think "dang that person is a pro!" but that doesn't mean they are. If I were a common person and saw someone performing the arts of a dire lord I would likely think to myself "Woah a dire lord!" regardless of if in reality they were just a dire whelp, because compared to me they would be unbelieveable. 

• 321 posts
    October 30, 2018 11:01 PM PDT

/sing

Scourge is an awesome suggestion, MauvaisOeil!

This post was edited by Alexander at October 30, 2018 11:23 PM PDT
    • 287 posts
    November 1, 2018 1:33 PM PDT

In my "opinion" Knights should wear full plate and be able to use shields.  The DL comes off as more of a beserker to me... maybe a more appropriate name would be Revenant or Reaper, or Blood Reaper, Blood Lord... something to do with their ability to manipulate life force in a masochistic combat style.

Scourge is decent too.

This post was edited by Darch at November 1, 2018 1:34 PM PDT