Forums » The Dire Lord

Dark Knight

• 410 posts
    June 24, 2016 10:15 PM PDT
    I'm just saying:
    We are not lords at level 1. Dark Knight is an excellent foil to Crusader. Dark Knight is a classy, accurate description of the archetype. Ever play Final Fantasy 4?

This class would be so much better if the name was a bit more subtle. Dire Lord is awesome for an upper level expert.
    • 410 posts
    June 24, 2016 10:52 PM PDT
    Adding on to the point because I'm not sure how to edit: what, are we going to have 1000 Dire Lords running around? It doesn't sound right. A Dark Knight is something many people could be or train to be, just like a Crusader, Cleric, any of the other classes. But Dire Lord? It's too much of an evil mastermind, a dark lord who is already powerful and influential.
    Many people could train to be Dark Knights; not many people should be able to train as novice Dire Lords.

Unless, of course, it was a thing of power and every single one who chooses to train to be a "Dire Lord" is totally obsessed with their own selfish rise to prominence and power, thinking they'll be the ones to achieve it, ala the Sith. But it still seems silly and wrong to have 100 level 1 Dire Lords running around. Make them Dark Knights, then they're training and learning the dark craft with a blade!

/rant. I only want the best for this beautiful baby =P
    • 204 posts
    June 26, 2016 2:02 AM PDT

I'm not sure what prompted the change from Dread Lord to Dire Lord but I'm not a huge fan of the title either. However, this is mainly due to the 'dire' part of the title. To me, it doesn't have the foreboding ambiance that Dread Knight or Shadow Knight does. That said, I'm not a fan of Dark Knight either! Too Batman like for my tastes.

No real solution from my end, other than to leave it as Dire Lord.

• 410 posts
    June 26, 2016 10:24 AM PDT
    But the point is that "Dark Knight" indicates simply someone who has chosen to train using the darkness in their warrior attacks. Tapping into that dark energy/power should take training, and a level 1 may have only rudimentary abilities to slash with dark force, for example. I just think anyone could choose to train to become a Dark Knight or a Shadow Knight (but I think Dark is classier and simpler), but a Dread Knight or any type of Lord sounds like one already has a lot of skill.

Batman IS a modern dark knight - he chooses to train to infuse his attacks with darkness (fear, anger, primal strength, the unknown). I'd say Batman is a dark knight but a Dark Knight is not necessarily Batman. Instead of going the Crusader route, which might have been a high-ranking police officer or a Superman type, Batman chooses to embrace the lower vibrations that his enemies use against their victims. He is a warrior, or knight, who chooses to utilize the darkness to serve his ends. It's a risk, because a Dark Knight could end up becoming or succumbing to the dark force he immerses himself within and becoming truly villainous, and of course many would go into the training with that purpose. It's not as trusted, with good reason - more goes on underneath the surface, because, well - the darkness is not seen.

It's a very cool archetype, and it'd be great if the Pantheon characters could choose to go down that road. But no one is becoming a Lord at level 1, come on =P

Here are some images of what I see as lower-level Dark Knights. Those who are training in the path.

https://goo.gl/images/ettT6y /> https://goo.gl/images/6Amsfg />
    And here are a few that could reflect the Dark Knight after he has risen in power and prominence, becoming a Dire Lord or Dread Knight, or whatever else:

https://goo.gl/images/vWQhPC /> https://goo.gl/images/gqYwEO /> https://goo.gl/images/FeKbWR
    • 18 posts
    June 28, 2016 1:51 AM PDT

Ya i would like the name to be Dark Knight, Shadow Knight or Dread Knight. It just sounds right to start out as some kind a knight not a lord.

• 79 posts
    June 30, 2016 1:16 PM PDT

TLDR: I can not stand the name Dark Knight, Dire Lord is a much better name for a new class in a new game. 

I think the name Dire Lord expands class possibilities; characteristics, aestheitcs, mechanics, dynamics, and systems. I believe it sets a foundational base that will allow for a more robust and indepth class design. Whereas Knight confines the class to the stigmatic nestalgia of its predecessors. 

I personally do not want to play another SK or DK, if I did I would be playing on an emulation sever someplace. I don't want to see the developers try to cram SK and DK into a class and just give it another name. I want to see an entirely new Dark Magic using Tank with new class systems, mechanics, and dynamics. Something better than its predecessors. 

I backed this game for its promise of bringing back difficulty (risk vs reward) and the social aspect of online gaming. I did not back this game to see a reskinned EQ or VG and that inludes the classes from those games. Sure there are some ethsetics of the anti-paladin class that are not going to change, however, it does not mean we have to use the same moniker and have the class designed strictly upon the abilities, mechanics, and dynamics of its predecessors. 

Let this game redefine classes; let this game create new classes with better abilities, mechanics, dynamics and systems. 

God forbid the name reverts to Dark Knight and we have to @%#$ google anything. I for one do not want to have to shift through all the Batman guano just to find information on a pantheon class. 

• 410 posts
    June 30, 2016 10:39 PM PDT
    Ah, but in my mind a dark knight doesn't need to be the same as anything prior - it's just a classy name for a soldier who goes deep into the darkness for power. It's up to whatever game and design company to imagine what that darkness is.

It's clean. Dire Lord could be clean too, but it's more of a stretch to imagine a teenager or 20 something deciding to train to be a Dire Lord. How many Dire Lords can we have running around? The only way it can work is if the name was somehow equivalent to a unit like Summoner, Cleric, Wizard, Shadow Knight - something anyone could go train to become. In Terminus, you can train to be a Dire Lord? And that's like a normal "profession" comparable to a Crusader or Necromancer?

I guess my essential gripe is that it sticks out too much - it's not a class name that describes a unit anyone could (or should be able to) become. Unless the understanding in Terminus of "Dire Lord" is very different from how it'd be on Earth, given fantasy. Maybe there are packs of Dire Lords just like groups of Enchanters. It just doesn't make sense as a class for people to choose to go into.

As a specialty, it's awesome.

I wouldn't feel like a Dire Lord until I'm actually higher level and powerful. Imagining being level 15 in a group and saying, "Yeah, I'm a Dire Lord!" Could be alright for RP as an egotistical selfish person who just wants power and calls himself a Lord at a young age - in that case, he shouldnt need to rely on a group so heavily, as that'd cut into his claim of superiorityour, which he is making by calling himself a Lord.

So if Dire Lord it is, how about they're one of the more or most soloable classes? That would make sense with their name.

If not, how about Dire Knight?

It's sort of difficult to parse out exactly what the issue is, but this post comes close. Of course, it's all in good fun =]
    • 79 posts
    July 1, 2016 8:05 PM PDT

All the names I could find on the iterwebs of or relating to this type of class

Reaver (DAoC)

Blackguard (D&D)

Hexblade (D&D)

Death Knight (WoW)

Dark Knight (D&D)(FF)

Antipaladin (Pathfinder)(D&D)

Eldritch Knight (Pathfinder)(D&D)

Shadow Knight (EQ)

Ethereal Knight (DAoC)(NPC)

Shadowbane Inquistor (D&D) more or less a Paladin really. 

Ghostwalker (D&D) 

Knight of the Raven (D&D)

Hellreaver (D&D)

Soulguard (D&D)

Deathwarden (D&D)

Doomguard (D&D)

Shadow Sentinel (D&D)

Knight of the Skull  (D&D)

Knight Phantom (D&D)

Revenant Blade (D&D)

Spellcarved Soldier (D&D)

Vengeance Knight (D&D)

Spur Lord (D&D)

Black Flame Zealot (D&D)

• 410 posts
    July 1, 2016 11:18 PM PDT
    Yeah cool, I feel like any of those except Spur Lord would make more sense. It's really just the Lord that doesn't fit.
    Unless becoming a Dire Lord is a recognizable, fairly common thing in Terminus, like becoming a Summoner.
    • 79 posts
    July 2, 2016 10:41 AM PDT

I actually like the name Dire Lord and it fits the persona of having dominion over the aspects of the void. A controller and minupulator of the shadows, incorpereal, and undead. 

Definition of lord: lôrd

| noun | "Someone or something having power, authority, or influence; a master or ruler." 

| verb |  "Act in a superior and domineering manner toward (someone)."

Seems the definition suits the class' persona and character to me. 

This post was edited by xaices at July 2, 2016 10:43 AM PDT
    • 410 posts
    July 3, 2016 3:42 AM PDT
    Thanks for the definitions, that's cool - it's the "a master or ruler" part that doesn't work, imo. They're not masters of the darkness from the beginning - but later... aw yeah.
    • 86 posts
    July 31, 2016 12:46 PM PDT

Dire lord isn't bad, I think the main issue is the better names are taken. Dread knight, shadow knight, dark knight... Not that they can't be reused, but the original association is there.

For me I tend to link dire with situation, which tends to be negative (IE: in a dire situation), where dread I think of what someone/thing inspires.

There's not a whole lot interesting when you hit a thesaurs for dire or dread, either.. Shiver Lord/Knight? Terror Lord/Knight? Cold Feet Lord/Knight? Shock Lord/Knight? Ghast Lord/Knight? Chill Lord/Knight? Frenzy Lord/Knight? Hate Lord/Knight? Disaster Lord/Knight? Gruesome Lord/Knight? 

Slim pickings. :)

• 86 posts
    July 31, 2016 12:48 PM PDT

Alexander said: Thanks for the definitions, that's cool - it's the "a master or ruler" part that doesn't work, imo. They're not masters of the darkness from the beginning - but later... aw yeah.

Kind of depends on how you look at it, compared to people of equal level/experience they may be. ;)

• 204 posts
    August 3, 2016 5:46 AM PDT

I dunno now...Dire Lord is growing on me.

• 79 posts
    August 3, 2016 1:43 PM PDT

Umbra said:

I dunno now...Dire Lord is growing on me.

I personally like Dire Lord myself. 

I do not get Alexanders line of thinking. If that were to hold true we would all start out as peasants, then work our way up to squire, and when we reach max level finally be awarded the title Knight.  

The whole premise of Alexanders gripe baffles me as if a lord can't start out as a lord in a "Fantasy" game... then Knight sure the hell can't start out as a Knight either.  

In all seriousness the first 10 levels of gameplay matter, despite what some people may think.  The first 10 levels sets a presedence for the rest of the game either conciously or subconciously for the player.  If a classes playstyle feels unheroic (week), unpolished (awkward), or has any other design flaws chances are it will impact the players initial experience and set the tone for the rest of the game.  

I got all the challenge and risk vs reward and all that, but no matter the difficulty or risk the class I play should feel powerful and heroic against content at level, no matter that level be it lvl 1 or lvl 50. 

I absolutely hate that some games that give you 1 ability at the start of the game. I feel so heroic and powerful with my lvl 1 attack ability that does 2 more dmg than my auto attack. No.. No.. a lvl 1 toon should have a compliment of abilities that sets presidence for the next 49 lvls. i.e. a Tank should not get its taunt at lvl 15, cough Vanguard cough cough...   no a tank at lvl one should get 1 defensive ability, 1 taunt, 1 rescue, and 2 attacks for a total of 5 abilities. 

• 410 posts
    August 20, 2016 3:56 AM PDT
    Dire Lord is actually growing on me, too. My original critique was all about how it's silly for people to choose to be Dire Lords from level 1-50, as opposed to Summoners or Clerics or Shamans, but im starting to like it now as more of a "statement" for evil characters. And also, the name sounds nice.

Dire Lord! It'll be interesting to see how their "trainers" are implemented.
    • 129 posts
    August 22, 2016 7:23 PM PDT

I wonder if there are any trademark issues with some of the other names as well, especially "Dark Knight" which Batman is synonymous for. Do you realize how many Batman memes there will be if there was a Dark Knight? Heh :)

• 65 posts
    November 12, 2016 9:51 AM PST

First and formost whatever the name is we are a corrupted/evil class. The name should fit that description. Shadow/Dark/Dread Knight have been used for years in several other games. Dire Lord seems a decent change to start with. Althought I think soulfury is very catchy it just does not have that evil ring to it imo.

• 240 posts
    August 7, 2018 8:37 PM PDT

Arucard said:

Ya i would like the name to be Dark Knight, Shadow Knight or Dread Knight. It just sounds right to start out as some kind a knight not a lord.

Had to necro this thread just to agree with this sentiment now that we all know what the Dire Lord is like. I absolutely love the class, but always felt that "Dire" was a bit too evil-sounding, while "Lord" was too grandiose. Given that essence manipulation is the source of the DL's power and that so many of their abilities are blood-based, wouldn't Blood Knight be the perfect name? It worked for a certain well-liked magic class in Vanguard!

I know the name is probably already set in stone, and I don't want to sound like I'm dissing all the great work the devs have done on the class. It'll be awesome, whatever it's called. Just had to throw my hat in the ring. ;)

• 26 posts
    August 7, 2018 9:24 PM PDT

I like blood knight. Sounds cool.

On a side note. What is the DL class symbol suppose to be? I can comprehend all the other logos, but what the heck is the DL logo? Looks like a misquito in a hoodie or something.

• 1660 posts
    August 7, 2018 11:33 PM PDT

To me it looks like an iron mask under a hood.

Something akin to :

• 190 posts
    October 23, 2018 9:49 PM PDT

The name Dire Lord does sound a bit high and mighty for a beginner at level 1. I'd prefer a name like "Soul Reaver", "Shadowguard", or "Blood Knight". Yes there is the EQ name of "Shadowknight" or FF "Dark Knight" but since it seems VR is trying for something a little different I gave my suggestions. The name Dire Lord sounds like a special class title like what we saw in EQ when players got past level 50.

• 1660 posts
    October 23, 2018 11:27 PM PDT

Ziegfried said:

The name Dire Lord does sound a bit high and mighty for a beginner at level 1. I'd prefer a name like "Soul Reaver", "Shadowguard", or "Blood Knight". Yes there is the EQ name of "Shadowknight" or FF "Dark Knight" but since it seems VR is trying for something a little different I gave my suggestions. The name Dire Lord sounds like a special class title like what we saw in EQ when players got past level 50.

I agree. Lord include some kindship of nobility and mastery, to a degree it's disturbing for a low level character. Bloodknight seems nice in this regard, or even something like "Scourge", or just "Reaver".

• 2483 posts
    October 24, 2018 4:47 PM PDT

Eh, it seems fine to me.

Dire Lord taken at the definition checks out, Dire = "exciting horror" or "dismal, oppressive" and Lord = "one that has achieved mastery or that exercises leadership or great power in some area." I know I don't think of nobility/aristocracy when I hear the term drug lord.

Similarly, Paladin implies that someone is high and mighty or otherwise in an elevated and respected position. So if a paladin can feel right as a level 1 player then the same should hold true for dire lord. 

• 1660 posts
    October 24, 2018 10:58 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Eh, it seems fine to me.

Dire Lord taken at the definition checks out, Dire = "exciting horror" or "dismal, oppressive" and Lord = "one that has achieved mastery or that exercises leadership or great power in some area." I know I don't think of nobility/aristocracy when I hear the term drug lord.

Similarly, Paladin implies that someone is high and mighty or otherwise in an elevated and respected position. So if a paladin can feel right as a level 1 player then the same should hold true for dire lord. 

I also spoke of mastery even if it was only the second argument, no one starts as a "Drug Lord" either, you're a crappy dealer if you begin but if you manage to "work hard" and survive, you might end as a drug lord (or you're coming from an other field of "work", and changed career).

Whatever, it feels really odd to qualify it "work".

This post was edited by MauvaisOeil at October 24, 2018 10:59 PM PDT