Forums » The Ranger

Perception and real tracking for Rangers

• 301 posts
    June 9, 2016 3:39 PM PDT

A game from a few years back, Lord of the Rings: War in the North had a Ranger class with a cool tracking ability. You would notice glowing footprints on the ground, some too obvious and some more hidden than others. If you followed them it would lead you to a stash left by other rangers. It was funny because the other special abilities in the game helped the other party members but the Ranger one was only treasure for himself haha. It even said a message when I found one so they were always saying ohhh good for you! That was the most of it but every once in a while the tracks did lead to a side path behind some bushes or a secret entrance where they found some treasures too and we would have walked right past it if not for this ability. This is the only pic I could find of it and upsized it a bit.

It would be cool if Pantheon Rangers could do something similar to this with the perception system. Like if you get a message saying the you notice some odd tracks near by or the area around this wall looks disturbed recently. Then you look around the ground and the walls and maybe you can find some real tracks that lead though some bushes or you kick through a weak wall for a new opening. Only the ranger could see this stuff so they would be leading the group to these secret paths. Preferably not glowing obvious tracks either. It could make them pretty desired to have in a group and it's real for real tracking, not just a window of nearby mobs.

• 251 posts
    June 17, 2016 6:02 PM PDT

Something like this would be pretty cool.  I liked EQ tracking, but I would definitely support an updated and more-involved tracking system.

• 28 posts
    June 28, 2016 10:58 AM PDT

I'd much rather see footprints than a direction text prompt, definitely more immersive. 

• 101 posts
    December 9, 2016 10:33 PM PST

I hope they put tracking into the game for the ranger class.  I would like to see it upgraded from the EQ style though.  The old way of seeing spam messages saying the general direction of your target is horrible.  Display a mystical path to the target or a unique target icon on maps/minimap would be great.  The idea about special tracks for rangers is just to awesome to pass up.  Would be cool to see that in-game where rangers can hide caches of weapons and supplies for themselves or for other rangers.  That's just to cool.