Forums » The Druid

Shapeshifting or forms

• 8 posts
    April 28, 2018 11:55 AM PDT

I agree Druid should be able to shapeshift, I think a max of 2 forms thought and need to complete a ritual. So one form of both your parents are from the same clan or line and two if parents are from different clans but you can only change into your parent's line. For travel as a druid, it should be whatever your shapeshifting form is and the speed they move. but also for self only be able to teleport from druid sites to druid sites with the only exception being your spouse in the game after being married in the Druid tradition.     

• 5 posts
    April 28, 2018 5:23 PM PDT

parents and spouse? wtf are you smoking dude...

• 1325 posts
    April 29, 2018 6:14 AM PDT

Wow's shapeshifting druids is really something on it's own and I'm not sure it would translate well into classic MMORPG.

In tabletop games, you didn't have a lot of special attacks, and a druid taking on an animal form just had natural attacks, properties and innate armor/health. Translating it into a modern-classic MMO like pantheon would require a toolkit for every form and that's really a mess to design, balance, and manage.

Still, I enjoyed seeing druids as wolves in EQ, even if they were casting wolves (and bears for shammies), but really the greaters forms where only an improvement of the previous ones, and not different spells for different situations.

• Wig
    • 180 posts
    April 29, 2018 11:27 AM PDT
    Wolves would be nice. However, the shaman gets a wolf pet, so I am kind of hoping that Druid take on a different form, just for the diversity. Bear form?
    • 5 posts
    May 3, 2018 3:15 PM PDT
    Career druid joining the clade here. EQOA's druids had a wide range of forms, but the basic was a wolf that actually evolved in shape and size as you leveled.

It didn't do much but buff your hp and AC iirc, but I was ALWAYS in my wolf form when I wasn't a treant for the Mana Regen at raids because c'mon...queen of nature here. Why wouldn't I be a wolf? :P
  • Wig
    • 180 posts
    May 3, 2018 4:59 PM PDT
    Druid was the king of shapeshifting in EQOA, I loved it. I didn’t particularly like that you had to be in a certain form if you didn’t want to be gimped though...unless it was a form I liked (satyr)
    • 6 posts
    January 8, 2019 5:30 PM PST

I've mained a druid in EQ, EQ2, and WoW for many years.  That being said, I've played both the druids that are only humaniods and the druids that have the power to transform.  

The largest drawback I see to shifting is the loss of individualisim.  It forces all druids to look and act the same.  While I do not like the thought of always looking like the same bear that 1000 other players also look like, I do enjoy the idea of being able to shapeshift. 

Druids are supposed to be in touch with nature and able to speak with the animals.  To that end, I would like to see one of the following options available:

a) Druids have the ability to shapeshift into a variety of animals that provide a HUGE boost to a particular ability or stat, but to keep balance and individualism, the transform is on a very limited duration and has an extreamly high cooldown shared between all forms.  Essentially it would be used as a last resort, oh crap ability much like the pally lay hands or shadowknight harm touch.

b) The second option would focus more on the druids closeness with nature.  Rather than being able to transform into various animals, assuming that animals abilites, what if the druid could call animals to assist them?  I'm not talking about a pet that is constantly with the druid as a companion.  I speak of an ability, with a moderately high cool down, that would call for a nearby animal (an actual animal mob in the world that must be within x distance of the druid) to assist in combat.  This animal would go about its buisness once combat ended. 

This adds a number of unique mechanics to druids.  They would have a considerable edge in outdoor fights through animal infested zones.  A group that activly seeks out a camp near a known strong animal that can be called to assist every 5-10 mins could be a tactic.  Another tactic would be chain pulls to keep the druid in combat and the animal's assistance.  This would force a group to balance combat status for the druid and out of combat status for mana regen.  A talented druid may even be able to keep a mob in a kite status far enough away from the other members of the group to allow them to med, but keeping the druid in combat.

• 231 posts
    January 9, 2019 2:02 AM PST

Diomeades said:

b) The second option would focus more on the druids closeness with nature.  Rather than being able to transform into various animals, assuming that animals abilites, what if the druid could call animals to assist them?  I'm not talking about a pet that is constantly with the druid as a companion.  I speak of an ability, with a moderately high cool down, that would call for a nearby animal (an actual animal mob in the world that must be within x distance of the druid) to assist in combat.  This animal would go about its buisness once combat ended.

This might be leaning to much towards Beastlords or such. Rangers already have pets helping them out as wel. 

A druid could call upon nature itself as in the natural elements to aid them in battle. Quicksand, mud, roots, hail, snow, wind, sunlight, clouds, moonlight. If they were to rely on animals it might indeed be more like swarm pets. Temporary damage support by use of spells rather then actually "taming/controlling" animals in the proximity of the current position. I forgot where  I read it, but I believe a class is already capable of doing that.

Shapeshifting itself would be fun if indeed the shape the druid can choose can be different then 100 other druids in line. Perhaps through questing or discovery they can find ways to alternate that appearance? This could be spread out all across Terminus. So not every druid will have the same appearance choices to start with, and only those druids that search all across might find all alterations. (Well, you get what I'm saying here, I hope.)

In eq2 you had channelers that could alternate their warder's colour and shape of limbs/body parts. Using similar path of thinking might offer the devs opportunities to deliver that difference for druids when it comes to the actual shape after transforming/morphing.

This post was edited by Barin999 at January 9, 2019 2:03 AM PST
    • 6 posts
    January 9, 2019 5:40 PM PST

Barin999 said:

Diomeades said:

This might be leaning to much towards Beastlords or such. Rangers already have pets helping them out as wel. 

A druid could call upon nature itself as in the natural elements to aid them in battle. Quicksand, mud, roots, hail, snow, wind, sunlight, clouds, moonlight. If they were to rely on animals it might indeed be more like swarm pets. Temporary damage support by use of spells rather then actually "taming/controlling" animals in the proximity of the current position. I forgot where  I read it, but I believe a class is already capable of doing that.

The Ranger is able to call a panther or bear that magically appear for a few seconds to do damage and others to increase their movement ability.  I was refering to more of a charm effect on an existing mob leaning more toward the friend of animals lore.  I'm leaning this way because not even the Ranger has the ability to walk up to most animals as if they are friends.  The Druid does have this ability, so it makes sense that they could call animals to assist them.  This charm could be limited in that it doesn't actually let the druid control the animal like a pet, and the spell would could be made to last as long as balancing allows.  The druid is supposed to be able to do DPS, but not as much as an actual DPS class since they are technically healers.

As for the calling upon nature itself, doesn't this pretty much describe all druid spells already?  I do like the idea of using clouds, sunlight, and moonlight.  That's not something I've seen explored much in an MMO.  I mean, I've seen spells named moonbeam or sun spear and such, but none of them explained or showed with their spell effects how the sun or moon was being used.  This is an interesting idea I hope the devs explore.

• 425 posts
    January 10, 2019 8:04 AM PST

I'm indifferent as to if the PRotF Druid can shapeshift or not.  But I will say that the premise of a shapeshifting druid was not originated, nor exclusive to WoW.  That was (and still is) the primary utility/skill of the Druid of Dungeons & Dragons (which was the inspiration for EQ1).  They shapeshifted into animals at first and then into elementals at later levels... I think every non-D&D MMO that didn't have shapeshifting Druids has missed a great opportunity for a cool class by ignoring this simple illusion feature.  i.e. Animal forms could've just been illusion based with a little utility (movement/stealth ect) while the elemental forms could have also been illusions that gave other boosts similar to EQ1's enchanter elemental illusions (levitate, damage shield etc).

This post was edited by Darch at January 10, 2019 8:09 AM PST
    • 2184 posts
    January 10, 2019 12:00 PM PST

Diomeades said:

I was refering to more of a charm effect on an existing mob leaning more toward the friend of animals lore.  I'm leaning this way because not even the Ranger has the ability to walk up to most animals as if they are friends.  The Druid does have this ability, so it makes sense that they could call animals to assist them.  This charm could be limited in that it doesn't actually let the druid control the animal like a pet, and the spell would could be made to last as long as balancing allows.  The druid is supposed to be able to do DPS, but not as much as an actual DPS class since they are technically healers.

As for the calling upon nature itself, doesn't this pretty much describe all druid spells already?  

It should be noted that druid aren't tree hugging nature lovers or otherwise peaceful wardens of nature in Pantheon. They draw out power from the natural world/forces of nature but that's about it; sure they respect nature more than others and probably want to preserve what they can since they draw there powers from it but I think it's far less Disney Princess than druid from other games.

The wild-eyed Druid has answered a dangerous call: to embrace the natural world of Terminus and peer into its mysteries. With the manifold fragments of other worlds and realms now on Terminus, the landscape is highly diverse and treacherous. For this reason, Druids are often revered as visionaries who can see beyond the fragmented terrain and into the heart of Terminus itself.

At its core, the Druid is a light-armored mystic who is able to draw out aspects of the natural world and imbue them into other living things or project them into their surroundings. But there is a fine line they must walk as they gaze ever-deeper into the secrets of Terminus. The Druids who learn to master these revelations are rumored to have incredible restorative abilities, while wielding the power to command the weather itself. Surely, there is rarely a display as awe-filled as this kind of fury when kindled.

And from the VR loremaster:

Our Druids are about the cycles of nature, the dance between predator and prey. Their powers draw from the forces of nature, like Lightning, Earthquakes, Wildfires, as well as the restorative and transformative sides of Nature. Think of them less as paragons of peace and some ideal of what Nature could or should be, and rather as reflecting what Nature is. Ogres fit this space as the wolf in the weeds.

This post was edited by Iksar at January 10, 2019 12:04 PM PST
    • 9 posts
    January 15, 2019 2:45 PM PST

I would like to see shapeshifting for different classes. Not all but quest line for certain routes a class may want to take. Druids dont have to be the only class.  I have hated that most games just have humanoid forms.  mobas to rpgs.  I would like to have some customization that might make one class have a few different routes it could take from melee to ranged or a melee with elemental spells or poisons.  I would love to be a dark class with a spider form. Or maybe in caves has the ability to shapeshift into a spider there.

• 18 posts
    February 20, 2019 5:03 PM PST

I always loved shapeshifting as a Druid in any game. I certainly hope they have it here in a meaningful way. If they want a Druid to focus on being a caster in Pantheon, I'd be fine with shapeshifting having effects on casting, such as various forms enhancing various spell lines for example. Perhaps even vary based on your race as well. 

• 265 posts
    February 24, 2019 7:48 PM PST

While shapeshifting is cool, the Pantheon Druid is pretty bad-ass without it.  Definitely not something that's a necessity.  

• 31 posts
    March 4, 2019 6:18 AM PST

I would prefer to stay in my druid's form a majority of the time, so as not to look like every other druid in wolf form, however, I still would like shapeshifting to occur in some form. Maybe to prevent us from going down the EQ 1 wolf form track, we could instead have situational shapeshifting by merging with Hirode to become a fox? This would allow us to not look like a shaman's pet, and instead become a slightly bigger version of Hirode with unique abilities for a set time period? I'm not sure what abilities or perks this would allow for, but I feel it would allow for a more unique shapeshifting experience. 

This post was edited by Mentira at March 4, 2019 6:20 AM PST
    • 32 posts
    March 15, 2019 8:54 AM PDT

IMO it would be much cooler and more appropriate if our Imbue Trait abilities imbued partial shapeshifting.

Examples-

Imbue Trait: Oaken Regeneration roots and branches would actually apear around your target

Imbue Trait: Grizzly's Resilience your targets hands and feet would look like bear paws and their bodies might grow bear like fur or their face could become bear like too.

Imbue Trait: Vale Hawk's Grace wings actually appear on your targets back

Imbue Trait: Swiftgill's Fin your target actually grows gills and their ears  change to look fish like

Imbue Trait: Black Wolf's Swiftness wolf feet, nose and grow a tail

This post was edited by TheBus88 at March 15, 2019 8:55 AM PDT
    • 172 posts
    March 15, 2019 9:53 AM PDT

I think shapeshifting can be cool if used sparingly, but it's not something I think the Druid, or any class, needs to have. I don't really like the idea of needing to be in an altered form for combat bonuses because, as Mentira said above, it makes the Druid look like every other Druid most of the time. What I definitely don't want to see is shapeshifting getting out of hand in the game in general, where every class eventually ends up being able to shift into other forms by using items, spells, quest abilities, etc. This happened in EQOA, and it ruined the game for me. If Druids can shapeshift at all, I think it should be a Druid-only ability that really makes Druids special, and there should be some potential limit/drawback that makes humanoid form desireable or necessary as well. But as I said, no shapeshifting at all would be just fine in my book too.