Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Fun with Progeny

• 578 posts
    June 4, 2016 10:43 PM PDT

Since this is mainly speculation I posted it here instead of the general discussion because I figured we'd do it more for fun than anything else.

What if the Progeny system allowed you to transfer an ability/spell/skill from your parent character to your new character. I brought this up in another post, an example would be taking a cleric and sacrificing him to make a warrior. And then your new warrior receives a healing spell from the progeny. How cool would this be? Think of ALL the different cominations that you could make. You could give really cool twists to certain classes and their roles.

What combinations can you all come up with??

I'd like to see a rogue who has decent pulling skills with sneak and lull/sap receive feign death from progenizing a monk. That could really boost the rogue's pulling skillset.

• 1778 posts
    June 5, 2016 11:49 AM PDT

Id probably take utility from Rogue for trap finding/lockpicking (make my Bard a lil more D&D) or as Id prefer an all ranged Bard bring over some Archery skills from Ranger.  Just some quick ideas off the top of my head. Need to know more about classes and what they are capable of to get deeper than that though.

This post was edited by Amsai at June 5, 2016 12:33 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    June 6, 2016 10:26 PM PDT

Bard with FD would be pretty dope. Or maybe a sneak ability for a summoner so they can sneak around while their pet attacks. I'm sure there are all types of crazy combos that could work really well.

• 384 posts
    June 10, 2016 6:27 AM PDT

Bard with some necro abilities =)  Raise dead. I vote for a Death Singer class!

• 578 posts
    June 11, 2016 9:16 PM PDT

A bard with pet summoning skills would be awesome. Quite possibly even OP because they'd be able to solo like no one's business.

ps. +1 for the class title 'Death Singer'

• 61 posts
    December 28, 2016 11:34 AM PST

For some reason, this made me think of chess and getting a pawn clear across the board and asking to be Queen'ed.  But I think that would be kind of cool getting a toon to a certain level and choosing to can that toon entirely to make its offspring and carrying along a specific trait.

Unfortunately I think that would encourage the mindset of trying to quickly get a toon to the appropriate level so you could replace him with a younger toon with more abilities.  

And... it would require allowing all classes access to any of the abilities you could hand on down.

This post was edited by bluefoxcode at December 28, 2016 11:34 AM PST
    • 316 posts
    February 6, 2017 1:12 PM PST

I just had an idea about the progeny system, and as the official thread has been closed, this seems to be the best available thread to post in:

What if we had an option to sacrifice our top-level characters in order to gain relatively significant perks for new characters, but the "sacrificed" characters were playable in a special, restricted "Spirit Realm" of some sort?

Maybe all the sacrificed characters would be able to log on and play some light, fun content in this "spirit realm", where they could use and see their abilities, but wouldn't be able to gain anything - the game would be over for them beside just a playground for using abilities. This would also allow a sort of social space for retired characters.

Perhaps "living" player characters could gain access to the "spirit realm" for limited periods of time via some rare object. Or perhaps events could exist where the "gates" of this spirit realm were opened for one day, and Terminus swarmed with the spirits of old characters, ostensibly the current players' ancestors.

This idea is essentially about restricting some "playground" type environment for retired characters which would allow them to use their abilities and socialize. Maybe some restricted dueling could exist also - but we wouldn't want the incentives to stay in this realm to be too high, of course.

An idea to allow the "sacrifice" of characters while keeping them around in some limited state! Any thoughts?

• 316 posts
    February 10, 2017 5:19 PM PST
    Had another idea, adding to my previous post - maybe Shamans could summon a random player character of the same race from this "spirit realm" to help them fight for 30 seconds or something. Call it "Summon Ancestor" or something similar.
    • 2752 posts
    February 11, 2017 1:09 PM PST

Feign Death for every class I make. Or the best ressurection spell. 

• 542 posts
    April 15, 2017 3:57 AM PDT

I'm wondering if you'd rebirth as race of opposing alliance,would the successor have an easier time winning over the opposing alliance?

• 542 posts
    April 15, 2017 3:59 AM PDT

or start out neutral,because the one that went before them was beloved with the alliance

• 2886 posts
    April 15, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

bluefoxcode said:

For some reason, this made me think of chess and getting a pawn clear across the board and asking to be Queen'ed.  But I think that would be kind of cool getting a toon to a certain level and choosing to can that toon entirely to make its offspring and carrying along a specific trait.

Unfortunately I think that would encourage the mindset of trying to quickly get a toon to the appropriate level so you could replace him with a younger toon with more abilities.  

And... it would require allowing all classes access to any of the abilities you could hand on down.

That's basically how reincarnation worked in DDO. You'd zerg to max level, immediately reincarnate, pick up a new passive or active ability depending on the class you reincarnated from to add to your arsenal and make you more powerful, repeat until you've acquired every ability available, and then you can grind gear in raids. It's an unfortunate "rich get richer" mechanic and it was generally the expected playstyle for any serious player. I trust that VR will not make it so that the rewards for Progeny are such that any player that wants to have a top tier powerful character will not be pressured into Progeny.