Forums » Fan Fiction

Visionary Realms fan fiction: [The History of the World]

• 220 posts
    June 3, 2016 7:48 PM PDT

The History of the World: Version 0.001b

The cavern wall above Aradune, the ranger, collapsed on top of the flailing giant, sealing the team into the labyrinth. From every corner of the cavern, the voice of Kilsin rang out. “OH, MAN! The team failed to slay the impossible giant before the cavern collapsed! Now they will have to face… the labyrinth.” Then silence. The team looked around at each other, quietly contemplating their next move.

“When your rear escape is blocked, there is only one path, you are outnumbered, and out gunned. What is your plan?” Aradune shouted.

The team, in one voice, chanted, “CHARGE FORWARD!”

A smirk crossed the rangers face. They were finally ready. “Istuulamae, what do we know about the labyrinth?”

“Sir, we are in the Labyrinth of Indie Game Developers. There are trolls everywhere in here. And there are rare few groups that make it through unscathed.” Istuulamae answered.

“Ugh, I hate trolls,” Aradune echoed. “Ceythos I’m gonna need fire to fight the trolls. Make me a Fiery Avenger.”

Ceythos whispered to Sarudan, “A ranger with a paladin weapon becomes a warrior?” The two shared a quick snicker as Ceythos handed the fiery avenger over to their leader. “This is gonna be epic!”

“Alright, team,”Aradune started,” We need to lay down some ground rules as we traverse the maze. These tenets will ensure we remain unscathed throughout our adventure.” As he rattled off the tenets, and the team embraced the vision, small packages began falling from thin air, each one containing a little bit of tribute to the team below to aid them through their journey.

“The people have spoken,” Kilsin announced, “Our gallant band has the approval of our at home audience. See how they are given food, and armors, potions, and gifts in support of the upcoming journey.”

Gathering up their gifts, the team looked around waving and thanking the empty stone room.

“Monty, do you know the way through?” Aradune inquired.

“No, sir,” he replied.

“Alright, pretend you are designing a maze that no one worthy should ever get out of, how would you build it?” Monty thought about it for a while, drew a picture, and handed it to Aradune. After some time studying, Aradune said, “There is no way out.”

“You asked me how I would build it,” Monty replied.

Aradune knew then, that he had the right team. They started by sending out a couple of scouting parties. The trolls had noticed them, but weren’t paying much attention to them. Their reports revealed, that Monty’s map was right on the money. But no one believed that there was no way out. There must be, there had to be.

The team continued their scouting until supplies started running low and they were forced into moving forward. With Joppa, strumming a tune, the team abandoned their safety zone and ventured forth into the labyrinth.

By this time, the trolls were running out of food too, so they started picking small battles with the team as they traveled through their territory. The battles escalated as the team traversed the labyrinth, day by day, remaining lost and slowly running out of supplies.

One fine September day, when the team was trudging forward with little more than the light from a lantern and a quarter sized wafer of food shared between them, A bright light poured down from above. A glowing apparition of heaven descended on them with the warm glow of a tropical sunrise.

“Your team,” the angel whispered, “has been through so much trial and tribulation. You are surviving on instinct, hope, and commitment. Today, I will bless you with the strongest blessing that I can. The way out is all around you, you simply have to follow the path.”

With those words, the team became stronger, smarter, and more resolute than ever. Forward they marched, and took whatever path resonated most with their tenets, gathering survivors along the way. All the while building and growing their story; rich with complexity.

Then came the fateful day when they could finally see the light. A beacon of freedom lay ahead of the team, across a crumbling subterranean bridge. As Aradune stepped first toward the light, the bridge crumbled beneath his feet, and fell into the abyss below.

This was the final obstacle out of the Labyrinth of IGD. The test to reach the light would take the entire team, and the journey around the abyss, working together, would take six months. Supplies weren’t plentiful, but conviction was. So, with Kilsin announcing their movements, the at home audience sitting on the edge of their seat, and the Trolls raining down arrows from above, the team drew their collective breath, all eyes on the light, and strove to reach their goal.

• 105 posts
    June 7, 2016 7:55 PM PDT

• 220 posts
    June 9, 2016 8:29 PM PDT

Staff reply!

Also, I didnt realize there was a term for that.  For teaching me something today I award you one [Fuzzy Troll Idol] 

• 105 posts
    June 21, 2016 3:59 PM PDT

Larr said:

Staff reply!

Also, I didnt realize there was a term for that.  For teaching me something today I award you one [Fuzzy Troll Idol] 

Excellent, I wonder if Aradune will notice if I swap his Avenger with the Idol? ;)  /roll for Sleight of Hand check

• 220 posts
    June 22, 2016 8:31 AM PDT

Sleight of hand roll : 15 success

Refering to Monty's Map as a distraction, you point to a long hallway ahead of you and communicate your concerns of ambush, and Aradune studies the map and plans a counter ambush. With this distraction, you slip the Avenger out of its magical holster and gently place the Fuzzy Troll Idol in its place, its feet dangling out of the holster where the swords grip should be found. 

Just as Aradune finishes his plan, A Troll jumps up out from the location he was drawing in the sand, and grabs for Aradunes throat; missing as he feigned backward.  With a lound grunt and in a single motion, Aradune wields his new fuzzy troll idol as if it was the firey avenger and slaps it against the neck of the amused troll.  A soft Squeak echoed through the cavern as it made contact. 

The troll, unable to contain himself, keels over laughing, and choking, unable to breathe.

You are holding the Firey Avenger.

This post was edited by Larr at June 22, 2016 8:33 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    February 9, 2017 9:58 AM PST

Haha nice!