Forums » Secret Class

One More Close Quarters Combatant Dps Class

• 79 posts
    June 3, 2016 2:09 PM PDT

As it stands Monk and Rogue are the only two close quarters combatants, possibly Ranger if specialization to melee or range. 

I wouldn't mind seeing something to the effect of a Nightblade, Hexblade, Swordmage, Spellsword or any other variation of a melee/magic hybrid. Whereas most all of the attacks are close to medium range magic attacks and the melee weapons are but merely the intruments of which they use to cast their abilities. I am leaning more towards the Nightblade/Hexblade fell fire dark magic, hexes and curses, speed and teleport instead of stealth.  

Good sustained magic medium range attacks. (does not have to be as close as melee, but can't sit back with the casters)

A few high damage magic augmented melee attacks. (forces the class to get in close to get off a few high dmg critical attacks)

Magic focuses around fell, dark, or occult magics. Hexes/Curses (dots and debuffs)

Interesting teleport mechanic allows teleportation over short distances. 

Interesting movement speed dynamic. 

• 8 posts
    June 4, 2016 4:06 PM PDT

Maybe a Bard, mix between one from Everquest and Vanguard. A mix of magic and melee dps. Kinda the jack of all trades to give a more open role to the player instead of melee or caster.

• 79 posts
    June 30, 2016 1:55 PM PDT

Elderic said:

Maybe a Bard, mix between one from Everquest and Vanguard. A mix of magic and melee dps. Kinda the jack of all trades to give a more open role to the player instead of melee or caster.

As far as I know the Bard is a class already planned to be in game, as such it already has its own discussion forums. 

I wasn't shooting for a support/dmg hybrid class. What I was going for was a pure magic based medium ranged class. The melee weapons are but only tools, the means of which to deliver magic damage through. Also why I am leaning towards medium ranged magic based is to have a really good kiting class. A class that does really good damage to hold agro and has an inate personal speed buff and a short reuse dash type teleport (short distance). The medium range dmg coupled with a minor speed buff, and a short reuse teleport would make for an exceptional kiting class.

This game is going for the quadinity Tank, Heals, Dps, Sup/CC. The monk is probably going to be go to pulling class and  the enchanter is going to be the go to CC class. I wouldn't mind seeing a class designed with kiting in mind. 

• 2013 posts
    July 1, 2016 8:26 PM PDT

I could support a spellblade in general.

Xaices, I dont know if you are familiar with FFXI but the Bluemage was a nice addition and was basically a spellblade with a twist. Bluemages traditionally learn enemy or mob skills by fighting enemies and a percent chance of learning an enemy skill upon its death. They used scimatars and enemy skills (kinda had a near east theme). Enemy skills could consist of both melee and magic skills. And they did very good dps with both along wih scimitar weapon skills. Now it was all melee ranged for the most part, but not because some skills werent ranged but because theyre scimitar fighting style was melee range which was a good 3rd of the damage. Anyway, I always thought it a neat class with in interesting hook. Just think of some cool mob abilities from EQ (nothing crazy like Raid bosses), and then imagine a class that could learn and use them. Just thought Id share.

• 15 posts
    July 3, 2016 6:25 PM PDT

Are we just discounting Warriors, Dire Lords, and Crusaders as close quarter combatants?

• 2013 posts
    July 4, 2016 9:32 AM PDT

I was discounting Crusaders. But not sure about Dire Lords. Warriors might be DPS but certainly nothing like a spellblade. The OP just doesnt want any CQC. He wants it to be some kind of hybrid.

• 28 posts
    August 10, 2016 3:43 PM PDT

I would support a Spellblade, SpellSword, or frankly any type of Warrior/Mage hybrid.  I also think the OP's idea would be an excellent addition to the game.

• 445 posts
    August 10, 2016 5:37 PM PDT

I think a Bard would fit the bill nicely :) 

• 8800 posts
    August 10, 2016 6:02 PM PDT

The Bard class will fill that spot either by launch or soon after :)

• 445 posts
    August 10, 2016 6:18 PM PDT

Thank you keeper of beans :) 

• 28 posts
    August 12, 2016 10:59 AM PDT

A Bard was not really how I interpreted what the OP wrote.  A Bard strikes me as more Utility/Support.  I read the OP as DPS.  Though, I will admit I am bias as I want a Warrior/Mage Hybrid (thinking Arcane Duelist/Spellsword) not a Singer/Entertainer, Jack of all Trades, Support Character which is how I see Bards.  Oh well, I can always hope for an Expansion Class sometime in the future.....

• 8800 posts
    August 12, 2016 5:47 PM PDT

Shea said:

Thank you keeper of beans :) 

You're welcome, Shea ;)

• 8800 posts
    August 12, 2016 5:49 PM PDT

DanF said:

A Bard was not really how I interpreted what the OP wrote.  A Bard strikes me as more Utility/Support.  I read the OP as DPS.  Though, I will admit I am bias as I want a Warrior/Mage Hybrid (thinking Arcane Duelist/Spellsword) not a Singer/Entertainer, Jack of all Trades, Support Character which is how I see Bards.  Oh well, I can always hope for an Expansion Class sometime in the future.....

Bard is still lightweight melee dps with Rogue, Monk and Ranger, they just give up some of their dps to share it with other plus have a bit more utility.

• 174 posts
    August 16, 2016 3:39 PM PDT

Berserker ~

• 323 posts
    September 5, 2016 6:08 PM PDT

Sounds like a good spot for a Battle-mage, or perhaps a Berserker.

• 46 posts
    September 23, 2016 11:36 PM PDT

Well, I hope they put in a Beserker class, to be honest as the other melee damage class. Berserker could have really high damage wielding two axes, clubs. hammers, etc, with damage increasing as the fight goes on (with a cost to their defenses, due to recklessness).

I hope they consider putting the Berserker in this go around, hell have another pledge goal for the Berserker (I would throw in another $900.00 for this, too be honest). ;)

• 97 posts
    October 9, 2016 8:19 AM PDT

Apparently I was the only persont hat liked the Beastlord calss in EQ but I would love to see something along those lines show up at some point.

• 79 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:30 PM PST

Kilsin said:

DanF said:

Bard is still lightweight melee dps with Rogue, Monk and Ranger, they just give up some of their dps to share it with other plus have a bit more utility.

Not what I was trying to get accross in my OP. My point of the OP was to request the addition of another true dps class - preferable a melee/magic hybrid. Bard is to watered down with utility - looking for pure dps. 

• 79 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:33 PM PST

renfillas said:

Are we just discounting Warriors, Dire Lords, and Crusaders as close quarter combatants?

Yes - until it is either confirmed or denied that there will be an adequate stance, tree, or other specific line they can follow to make them true dps. 

• 2624 posts
    January 19, 2017 10:18 PM PST

Berserker would be wonderful and rather unique in playstyle. Possibly having many abilities drain HP with few that give lifesteal while you try to skirt death for maximum DPS potential.

Oh how I miss those truly gruesome Crippling Blows hits from EQ.