Forums » The Dire Lord

Vanguard Dread Knight Similarities and other thought.

    • 60 posts
    June 3, 2016 2:56 AM PDT

    From the small text blurb under Dire Lord in the classes section of this site one could derrive that there are going to be some similarities between the Dire Lord and the Dread Knight.  

    Dire Lord

    "Legends speak of Dire Lords capable of mastering the crippling power of fear, with some able to manipulate the ‘essence’ of living things--even their very blood." 

    Dread Knight

    "The Dread Knight is a terrifying opponent who surrounds himself in battle with a tangible pall of fear and despair. These grim warriors use dark magic to empower and augment their already potent martial abilities. The aura of fear the Dread Knight radiates in combat demoralizes and weakens any opponent who dares draw near." -vanguard.station.sony.com

    "A horrific opponent, the dread knight is surrounded by a palpable pall of fear and despair that causes nearby opponents to become more vulnerable to attack. Adept at manipulating dark magic, the dread knight can augment their offensive and defensive capabilities, weaken or panic foes and even kill their opponent with a single word. Dread knights wear heavy armor, use shields and favor the destructive power of the two-handed weapons over all else." -Character Select

     

    This is all speculation of course.

     

    "...mastering the crippling power of fear..."

    I imagine that the Dire Lord will have a similar mechanic to that of the Dread Knight's Dreadful Countenance (DC) a class specific mechanic that debuffed enemies and buffed the dk.  

    Dreadful Countenance

    Rising Dread (DC 1): Your opponent begins to feel a sense of dread rising from within them. Incoming

    Critical: +5%, All Resistances: Reduced

    Wave of Despair (DC 2): Your opponent's fear of you mounts, as does the debilitation caused by it.

    Incoming Critical: +7%, All Resistances: Reduced, Incoming Spiritual Damage: +5%

    Fell Aura (DC 3): Your dreadful aura begins to overwhelm your opponents. Incoming Critical: +9%, All

    Resistances: Reduced, Incoming Spiritual Damage: +10%, Damage: - 5%

    Hopelessness (DC 4): You strip your opponents of their last vestiges of hope. Incoming Critial: +11% All

    Resistances: Reduced Incoming Spiritual Damage: +15% Damage: -7%

    Dread Tide (DC 5): You radiate an all consuming aura of dread, which engulfs your opponents. Incoming

    Critical: +13% All Resistances: Reduced, Incoming Spiritual Damage: +20% Opponent Damage: -10% Dread

    Knight Damage: +15%

     

     "...manipulate the ‘essence’ of living things..."

    I also imagine that this will be similar to the Dread Knights Devour Line of Spells and other tapping/striping abilities. 

    Devour Mind: Alteration - Reduces your opponent's intelligence and wisdom by ## while increasing your inteligence and wisdom by ## for 5 Minutes.

    Devour Strenght: Alteration - Reduces your opponent's strength and vitality by ## while increasing your strength and vitality by ## for 5 minutes.

    Vile Strike: Finishing Attack - Deals melee damage plus 267 damage and drains 158 to 169 health, returning it in energy to you.

    Anquish: Finish Attack - Deals melee damage plus ### damage and drains ### to ### health, returning it in energy to you over 12 sec. Only usable after Vile Strike.

    Cull: Evocation - Drains #### to #### Health from an opponent.

    Despoil: Alteration - Strips an enchantment from an opponent. 

     

    I am also speculating that there will be an ability such as Word of Doom and Bane (similarly SK's HT).

    Word of Doom Har Daal Mur: Evocation - Speaking this Word of Doom deals #### to #### spiritual damage and increases your Dreadful Countenance.

    Bane: Evocation - Consumes your opponent's fear and uses it to deal #### to #### spiritual damage, Reduces Dreadful Counenance to 0. Only useable in Dreadful Counenance 5.

     

    It may also go without saying there might be some Crowd Control abilities in the mix similar to:

    Abyssal Chains: Conjuration - Reduces opponent's movement speed by 70% for 30 to 40 seconds.

    Frighten: Alteration - Causes your opponent to flee from you for 15 seconds. Increases your Dreadful Countenance.

    Vile Howl: Alteration - Causes opponents around you to flee for 10 secons. Only usable in DC 3 or higher. 

    Omnious Fate: Alteration - Stuns your opponent for 6 seconds or 4 hits. Increases your Dreadful Countenance.

    Phantasmal Blade: Melee Attack - Paralyzes your opponent for 30 to 40 seconds or 1 hit. Only usable from behind. Only usable outside of combat.

     

    Then there is some class movement utility:

    Shadow Step: Self Alteration - Teleports you behind your opponent. You must activate this ability and choose which ability you would like to use after it in order to execute it.

    Shadowy Veil: Alteration - You cover your body in a veil of shadows that renders you invisible and increases your movement by 15% for 60 sec.

    Demon Speed: Self Alteration - Increases your run speed by ## for 20 seconds at the cost of 10 energy per second.

     

    And of course the ever important AoE threat and damage:

    Enthraling Nexus: Rescue - Rescues your defensive target from an incoming attack, causing all offenders to attack you for 4 to 8 attacks. 

    Scythe of Doom: Melee Attack - Drains ### Health from each oponent around you. 

    Black Wind: Evocation - Deals #### to #### damage to all opponents in front of you

     

    For those of you unfamiliar with the Dread Knight there are some wikis out there with some useful info still after the closure of Vanguard, however, I still have some documents that might lend more insite into the class. I posted some of my old DK documents to google docs. 

    LINK TO DK GOOGLE DOCS FOLDER 

    DK_CA_LIST.xls was a running working excel spreadsheet of all abilities for the dk complete with testing and change notes from beta through June 2008. 

    DK_CL_JUNE_v2.pdf was the last Class Lead update I sent into the class development team as the class lead program was shut down the same month. 

    vgdk_interview_avair.pdf is a consolidated list of questions from the player community that the Class Developer answered. 

    CGDRK_Beginners_Guide.pdf was the orriginal guide sent out the DK community produced by several members of the DK community. 


    This post was edited by xaices at June 3, 2016 2:57 AM PDT
    • 60 posts
    June 3, 2016 12:36 PM PDT

    Some info for insight into what the class maybe from the kickstarter;

    Role: Tank

    Style: Strong on the front lines, wielder of most weapon types though most proficient in two-handed swords. Able to use the shadows and the dead to their advantage.

    Specializations:

    • Void Master: Taking control of the shadows, molding them to do their bidding. Summon shadow sentinels and engulf enemies in darkness.
    • Dread Lord: Instill fear and agony through use of necromancy. Take command of the dead, syphon life and poison their enemies.

    The Dark Knight Lore

    Touched by the darkness that once consumed the universe, the Dark Knight is a formidable champion of evil whose battle prowess and unholy might instills fear within the bravest of warriors. Having trained in the dark arts recorded within the forbidden martial Tome of Myraxys, these knights have exchanged their souls for the powers of the void to be used in their evil endeavors within the world of Terminus.

    What is a Dark Knight?

    The Dark Knight is a leader highly skilled in combat who takes charge on the front line. They’re seen wearing dark plate armor and thrive in the use of two-handed great swords, long swords, shields, and axes. Though there have been cases where they have used other types of weaponry such as maces, spears or lances. The Dark Knights have the ability to blend in the shadows, manipulate them to attack their foes or even summon sentries of shadow to protect and fight for them.

    Dark Knights have also been known to practice in the arts of necromancy. They use these dark magics to instill fear, inflict pain and raise the dead to serve them. They are notorious for siphoning energies and life forces from their enemies causing great weaknesses while strengthening themselves, though there have been cases where they apply disease to their victims.

    Dark Knights adhere to the law of their dark gods. They are not chaotic but keep discord in check. Though the Dark Knight code stays in line with delivering unholy judgment regardless of the hero essence they are bound with. It is wise to avoid the touch of the Dark Knights hand as it may lead to a hateful curse, agonizing pain or death. Dark Knights are formidable as they continue to expand fear and darkness across Terminus in the name of their lords.

    • 52 posts
    November 12, 2016 10:15 AM PST

    xaices said:

    Some info for insight into what the class maybe from the kickstarter;

    Role: Tank

    Style: Strong on the front lines, wielder of most weapon types though most proficient in two-handed swords. Able to use the shadows and the dead to their advantage.

    Specializations:

    • Void Master: Taking control of the shadows, molding them to do their bidding. Summon shadow sentinels and engulf enemies in darkness.
    • Dread Lord: Instill fear and agony through use of necromancy. Take command of the dead, syphon life and poison their enemies.

    The Dark Knight Lore

    Touched by the darkness that once consumed the universe, the Dark Knight is a formidable champion of evil whose battle prowess and unholy might instills fear within the bravest of warriors. Having trained in the dark arts recorded within the forbidden martial Tome of Myraxys, these knights have exchanged their souls for the powers of the void to be used in their evil endeavors within the world of Terminus.

    What is a Dark Knight?

    The Dark Knight is a leader highly skilled in combat who takes charge on the front line. They’re seen wearing dark plate armor and thrive in the use of two-handed great swords, long swords, shields, and axes. Though there have been cases where they have used other types of weaponry such as maces, spears or lances. The Dark Knights have the ability to blend in the shadows, manipulate them to attack their foes or even summon sentries of shadow to protect and fight for them.

    Dark Knights have also been known to practice in the arts of necromancy. They use these dark magics to instill fear, inflict pain and raise the dead to serve them. They are notorious for siphoning energies and life forces from their enemies causing great weaknesses while strengthening themselves, though there have been cases where they apply disease to their victims.

    Dark Knights adhere to the law of their dark gods. They are not chaotic but keep discord in check. Though the Dark Knight code stays in line with delivering unholy judgment regardless of the hero essence they are bound with. It is wise to avoid the touch of the Dark Knights hand as it may lead to a hateful curse, agonizing pain or death. Dark Knights are formidable as they continue to expand fear and darkness across Terminus in the name of their lords.

     

    This seems a close description of the core roles a DireLord should play in a group. 

    • 1327 posts
    November 13, 2016 8:47 AM PST

    xaices said:

    Some info for insight into what the class maybe from the kickstarter;

    Role: Tank

    Style: Strong on the front lines, wielder of most weapon types though most proficient in two-handed swords. Able to use the shadows and the dead to their advantage.

    Specializations:

    • Void Master: Taking control of the shadows, molding them to do their bidding. Summon shadow sentinels and engulf enemies in darkness.
    • Dread Lord: Instill fear and agony through use of necromancy. Take command of the dead, syphon life and poison their enemies.

    The Dark Knight Lore

    Touched by the darkness that once consumed the universe, the Dark Knight is a formidable champion of evil whose battle prowess and unholy might instills fear within the bravest of warriors. Having trained in the dark arts recorded within the forbidden martial Tome of Myraxys, these knights have exchanged their souls for the powers of the void to be used in their evil endeavors within the world of Terminus.

    What is a Dark Knight?

    The Dark Knight is a leader highly skilled in combat who takes charge on the front line. They’re seen wearing dark plate armor and thrive in the use of two-handed great swords, long swords, shields, and axes. Though there have been cases where they have used other types of weaponry such as maces, spears or lances. The Dark Knights have the ability to blend in the shadows, manipulate them to attack their foes or even summon sentries of shadow to protect and fight for them.

    Dark Knights have also been known to practice in the arts of necromancy. They use these dark magics to instill fear, inflict pain and raise the dead to serve them. They are notorious for siphoning energies and life forces from their enemies causing great weaknesses while strengthening themselves, though there have been cases where they apply disease to their victims.

    Dark Knights adhere to the law of their dark gods. They are not chaotic but keep discord in check. Though the Dark Knight code stays in line with delivering unholy judgment regardless of the hero essence they are bound with. It is wise to avoid the touch of the Dark Knights hand as it may lead to a hateful curse, agonizing pain or death. Dark Knights are formidable as they continue to expand fear and darkness across Terminus in the name of their lords.

    This is actually from the Pantheon kickstarter? Must have missed this. I guess that debunks the necromancer theory. Unless they have since made a significant design change, which is possible, but unlikely.

    • 1260 posts
    December 14, 2016 12:23 PM PST

    Definitely my class.

    • 2 posts
    December 14, 2016 1:32 PM PST

    Xaices.... we can only hope.   Do I need to show you how to DK again? 

    • 4 posts
    December 14, 2016 1:53 PM PST

    Likely mine as well (as in most games with a similar offering), but I didn't really care for the Dread Knight, at least early on, in Vanguard and played something else.

    • 60 posts
    December 14, 2016 4:18 PM PST

    Mardukas said:

    Xaices.... we can only hope.   Do I need to show you how to DK again? 

    Mardukas!! wow that is a name from the past. As to your question...

    You actually might, I got more into medium ranged/melee classes after I left Vanguard... hadn't tanked in an mmo up until just this last year with the release of the Demon Hunter in WoW. Tanked early progression.. then as normal my hate for WoW set in and well now I am just playing The Division waiting on early access for this game to see whats instore for the dire lord. 

    I'll send you my discord info if your ever on drop in and chat a bit, would be good to bs with a fellow former BOTS bretheren. 

    R, 

    -Xai

    • 4 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:14 PM PST

    I would love to see something similar to the Dread Knight from Vanguard. Such an enjoyable class in raids as an off Tank. Very capable of holding a crowd while they were DPS'ed down.

    • 110 posts
    January 28, 2017 12:58 PM PST

    I enjoyed Vanguard tanks. Ideally they were all equally viable at tanking any mob, although at times balance was horrific. I hope pantheon follows suit. I don't want one "raid tank" and two "offtanks".

    • 70 posts
    March 14, 2017 11:24 PM PDT
    I hope they make all 3 tanks as close to equal as possible as well. I don't think you can justify having 1 superior tank and 2 off tanks unless you make Dire Lord and Paladins do high end Dps. Because if warriors are the end all be all tank theres just no room for a DL or pally in 6 man grp content imo. Maybe on raids for off tanking, heals and debuffs.
    • 110 posts
    March 18, 2017 11:58 AM PDT

    Jadden said: I hope they make all 3 tanks as close to equal as possible as well. I don't think you can justify having 1 superior tank and 2 off tanks unless you make Dire Lord and Paladins do high end Dps. Because if warriors are the end all be all tank theres just no room for a DL or pally in 6 man grp content imo. Maybe on raids for off tanking, heals and debuffs.

     

    I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember it being said by someone on the team that the plan is to do the tanks more similar to VG as in all tanks will be viable in the same basic fights. Think Vg when tanks were balanced. 

    • 35 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:45 AM PDT

    "There are four core roles -- DPS, tanking, healing and CC. It is important that each of the classes is good at one of these roles, and also as good as another class which shares a role. The difference will be that one class will express that role through abilities and spells very differently than the other."

    Source: Aradune. https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/4y7sd0/i_am_brad_aradune_mcquaid_cco_for_pantheon_rise/d6lrqru/

    For more, I've compiled a rather large list of quotes in this Dire Lord thread: http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4880/dire-lord-lineage-expectations-and-speculation

    • 161 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:18 PM PDT

    I am hoping it plays very similiar to VG DK.  It was so much fun to solo on it (as long as you had bear shaman buffs).  I think I leveled a bear shaman to 34 just for this toon.