Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Deities

• 10 posts
    May 24, 2016 10:07 PM PDT

Hi all,

I am sure this would have been brought up by now, but I couldn't trawl through all the forum posts to find out if it had.  Just wondering if it is going to be possible to choose to be a follow of a deity similar to that of EQ but with more depth than just a role-play feature.

Primarily I'd like to see a good list of deity’s that are race/class specific but follow through with some or all of the following:

• Quests to obtain deity specific gear.
    • Craftable deity specific gear.
    • Skill that can be levelled up for following a specific deity or something along those lines?
    • Anyone whom is Agnostic would also be granted the above.

I feel that it adds to the role-play and depth of the lore and world we are adventuring in.

Not sure if its already too late to implement or if something has already been thought up.

Thoughts anyone?

This post was edited by zepf at May 25, 2016 6:52 PM PDT
    • 644 posts
    May 25, 2016 5:01 AM PDT

I imagine this will be a huge part of the game.  Remember, other than the dorfs, the races gods/goddesses are all removed to the "other side" of the celestial barrier.

Here is the way I see the bnig picture story:

The other worlds were all threatened of drifting or dying or something.  So each god grabbed their race and looked for a safe place to "plant" them, much like humans do with endanbgered species - we put them in a wildlife preserve where they can rebuild their race, without intervention.  So, Terminus is our wildlife preserve.  

The dragons agreed to "lease" the planet to these races for 1000 years on the condition that they do not interfere.  The Ravaging Lord was actually descended so he was on the inside of the barrier.  Once he started destroying the endangered races, the gods could not let it happen so they intervened.  The Dragon King saw this as a violation of the terms of the lease, but the emmissary ruled it was not.  The gods intervened only to stop one of their own from intervening so, in fact, the "six suns" were policing themselves.

But, now they all retreated to the other side and they strenghened the barrier so it didn't happen again.

So, we will have descension and ascension accessibile gods/goddesses but there is an interesting dynamic at play with them.

• 384 posts
    May 25, 2016 6:40 AM PDT

And remember that the Ravaging Lord also convinced a couple of fallen gods to support him during the Deicide War. "most notably Ossari “He Who Rages” of the Humans and the “Dead Heiress” Haethus-Kevgrejl of the Archai."  Does that mean those races won't have an option of a diety to align with? Will they have the option to follow a diety from another race? Are there multiple gods for a race?

Maybe those races can be either good or evil and choose to follow the fallen god as an evil option or a different one for the good side.

Btw, the Ravaging Lord was a fallen Ginto god which isn't a playable race.

Still a lot of info we'll find out later. =)

As present as the relationship is between the races and their gods is, I certainly expect that choosing a diety to follow will play a huge part in Pantheon.

• 613 posts
    May 25, 2016 12:36 PM PDT

I wonder if this falls under the faction based decision? You pick one direction and your character is on that path until you change it. I think it would be an interesting dynamic also with game play and over all story that each of us will create as we adventure through Terminus.

I can’t remember if faction was a factor in EQ. I never played the dark races and was always hunting the bad guys of sorts. I wonder if the racial/faction/deity choices will impact how we play?

Good post Malsirian!

Ox

• 112 posts
    May 25, 2016 1:05 PM PDT

zepf said:

Primarily I'd like to see a good list of deity’s that are race/class specific but follow through with some or all of the following:

• Skill that can be levelled up for following a specific deity or something along those lines?
    • Anyone whom is Agonistic would also be granted the above. 

then what would be the point of explicitly following a deity's/religions 'laws' in game?

in game, either do it or dont. follow a deity and get benefits - maybe get a detriment from the 'opposed' deity. choose to not follow any, get none of these.

This post was edited by werzul at May 26, 2016 3:48 AM PDT
    • 428 posts
    May 25, 2016 1:30 PM PDT

It will make for a great expansion.  Pantheon: the gods return

• 2419 posts
    May 25, 2016 7:02 PM PDT

zepf said:

• Anyone whom is Agnostic would also be granted the above.

Thoughts anyone?

I agree with your idea except for Agnostics.  Agnostic is the 'easy way out' choice, at least it was in EQ1/2 because your diety had far broader ramifications than class or race.  Some class/race combinations were forced to accept a single diety choice.  Agnostic gave you a easier time in building factions in places where your race/class would still make you KOS.  So for taking the easy way out you pay for that ease of gameplay by giving up diety specific gear and diety specific quests.

• 2138 posts
    May 25, 2016 7:40 PM PDT

I would like to see hidden or random impacts of sin, and likewise, blessing. Like, playing the "righteousness" card in M:tG at just the right moment.