Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon App...

• 668 posts
    May 9, 2016 2:08 PM PDT

I would like an App that you can tap into that would show recent events or milestones on your server sorted by recent date. It could state it by such and such guild just took down "X" mob, so and so character just completed epic quest...  It can be broken down by category.  This would be fun for all the stat lovers out there!

An App could also be the latest and greatest news in the Pantheon world.  From nerf adjustments to world changes to new features, it could keep us up-to-date on the fly!

Having the App tap into maintenance announcements or service related issues could be really useful... It could make customer service issues much easier.

Being able to tap into guild chat could be nice...  Discord allows mobile voice chat right now but I think it would be cool to actually tap into text chat with the guild just for a communication standpoint.

*someone brought up a good point...  NONE of this would be useful at the sacrifice of security issues!!

This post was edited by Pyye at May 9, 2016 2:10 PM PDT
    • 79 posts
    May 9, 2016 2:12 PM PDT

I think an app is a must. It's good advertising (people will show it to friends) and keeps players "connected" to your game. If it's always with them they're always thinking about it.

I'm surprised no one has done a really good job with one, actually.

Ideas:

- Chat system (guild, raid, privately created, and friend.  Maybe trade and general - might be abusable by spammers though)

- Character look up (levels, stats, etc)

- Character inventory (your account only)

- Item look up

- Lore

- Recipe index (common and ones you know)

- Push notification from approved people (raid, guild, friends)

- Calendar for in game things (no advertising spam ;) But scheduled groups, raids, character birthday, world events (such as in game lore-related holidays)

- Bank access (perhaps view only)

- Feat/AA planner (when the time comes)

- Auction house access (perhaps view only unless character is logged out in appropriate area)

I wouldn't be strongly in favour of (but not strongly opposed to) things like mailing items from the bank or crafting via app unless it could be verified the character attempting to do so was in a town or appropriate area. I could see it being exploited that someone would log out, mail or craft an item they don't have the resources on them for (but are banked) in an area where they normally can't craft, and then logging back in.

• 363 posts
    May 9, 2016 2:38 PM PDT

I think an app to keep in touch with others in-game would be fine, along with any other feature that does NOT allow you to do things you'd need to be logged in to do. Crafting, bank manipulation, item sales, etc. should not, imho, be allowed. If you can't be there, then neither should your character. 

• 79 posts
    May 9, 2016 2:50 PM PDT

Nuemcy said: To be honest, I believe there to be no benefit to these types of programs. Have yet to see a real reason to artificially link these platforms. It seems a waste of time and resources that would be better spent with other aspects of improving the game in someway than fluff like this. Not trying tone negative on this idea, just an open and honest opinion

I would agree. I've installed a couple such game-related apps over the years, but I don't know if I ever used them even once.

• 279 posts
    May 9, 2016 5:49 PM PDT

How about some live cam views inside the game?  

• 17 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:45 PM PDT

Chat and being able to buy sell things on auction house/bazaar.

• 180 posts
    May 9, 2016 9:24 PM PDT

I would definitely use an app that allowed me and friends to communicate in and out of game.  I would like the ability to view my character and inventory too if possible.

• 201 posts
    May 10, 2016 12:10 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

This is theoretical, so just bouncing ideas and thoughts around...

An App could be very useful for a game like Pantheon if you are unable to get to your computer for any reason (work, travel etc.) you could connect to the lore, guild chat, a guild notification system for spawns, raids, calendar events, character customization, inventory management, character management, sorting bank/chests, housing management, notifications for game outages/downtime/GM events/Announcements, achievements are just some of the uses an App can have for Pantheon.

I like most of these suggestions here.... I also think that there should be some sort of "Crafting List" Because I asume the character's will not memerize the crafting lists I.E. Mat's needed to craft what ever item you are trying to make.

The App will not auto update when you craft something new, but more of community driven. When a player find a new recipe that player has the choice of uploading it to the app. This will help centralize information instead of player's going out and making hundreds of websites and players having to sift through them all. (Should be able to catagorize them by expansion too).

Same thing with Items, not having to memerize where everything drops or find all these different website just to sift through the information to try and find what you are looking for. Just to find out that enemy does not drop it. So making it player driven, when a player find's I.E. Loot on target creature, player can pull the app up and record what was dropped. ( Items should also be catagorized by Expansion, I know that some expansion's changes the loot tables on some creatures in EQ and some or MMO's)

I think these options will help keep the app player driven and not oouh look it flashes at me.

This post was edited by Tootiredtocare at May 10, 2016 12:11 AM PDT
    • 781 posts
    May 10, 2016 12:49 AM PDT

I would definately use the app for guild chat .  rare spawns for sure !

• 43 posts
    May 11, 2016 4:14 AM PDT

The short answer for me would be a huge NO! to a app.

Long answer:

Why waste part of your limited funding to create a non-essentail app for the game when you are still stuggling to aquire the remaining funding to make tha actual game? 

Why waste time and energy of one of your limited staff on creating the app. when the time would be much better spent on finishing the main website for the game. Would it not be a much better idea to actually flesh out and make the official website more robust then all of the other MMO websites? Set the website up to auto email all members with any important info. Build the website to be able to work like Alakazam did back in the day for EQ with a direct link to your character. Does it not make more sense to build the website in a way to give your players access to all pertinent info instead of forcing your player base to have to go to a different company's website to look at info for YOUR game?

I was under the impression that Pantheon was being built as a game that runs at a slower pace with less automation and hand holding. A game made to stand apart from the horde of watered down generic MMOs that flood the market? The game not even in alpha yet and devs are already looking for ways to trivialize the impact of time spent in game. Really people do not see the issue with allowing folks that are not in game to be able to buy/sell in a auction house, be able to set up your character to craft while your not in game??? How long until macros are added so that you can afk and work on raising your characters skills,add-ons to track rare spawns,add-ons to tell you when a boss mob is going to cleave all in the name of QoL improvements/convience and the mulitude of other excuses all the other games use for their rediculious hand holding easy mode game play???

I'm sorry Kilsin, but most of the ideas you mentioned as a reason to build a app are kinda pointless reasons for a app. First things first remember not everyone that owns a computer and games does not own a cell phone capable of using apps. So why would you want to already start to segregate your player base into haves and have nots?

If I'm not at my computer and want to read up on the game lore, can't I already do that by going to the games website? Why do I need a app to do so?

If I want to look at any of my guilds info concerning the calendar,spawn info,raid schedules ect ect wouldn't I just go to my guilds webpage? Why would I need a app to do so?

If I'm running late to a raid why would I need access to in game chat when I'm not in game? Shouldn't I be posting under the raid thread on my guilds webpage instead of using a app to allow me to interact with in game players from out of game?

Game outages/downtime/GM events/Announcements as I stated earlier just email your member base why do you need a app to do this?

• 769 posts
    May 11, 2016 5:55 AM PDT

Velrak said:

Why waste part of your limited funding to create a non-essentail app for the game when you are still stuggling to aquire the remaining funding to make tha actual game? 

Apps can get expensive, true, but here's the thing - We have Brad himself saying that he's been on the look out for more investor's. That's what these conferences like E3 are for. Not just to show a bunch of nerds the game they'll hopefully be playing, but to rally investor's to your cause. The fact is, we don't know what's in the works right now. We can't know the inner-workings of VR. We can't know what the investor's, if any, are expecting. This argument has always rubbed me the wrong way. I'm curious where it is you're getting this insider information?

Velrak said:

Why waste time and energy of one of your limited staff on creating the app. when the time would be much better spent on finishing the main website for the game. Would it not be a much better idea to actually flesh out and make the official website more robust then all of the other MMO websites? Set the website up to auto email all members with any important info. Build the website to be able to work like Alakazam did back in the day for EQ with a direct link to your character. Does it not make more sense to build the website in a way to give your players access to all pertinent info instead of forcing your player base to have to go to a different company's website to look at info for YOUR game?

Who is saying the app would be created by a different company? Why could it not be created by VR and directly linked to the main website? Why does the app and the website have to be completely mutually exclusive?

I'm actually kind of on your side here. What I would love is to see a website much like Allakazam and Everlore.com of olde. I'd love to have a website that I could spend time on while at work. A website chalk full of information and lore and a direct link to my character. I'd also love to have an app that has that information as well. Something I can read while i'm on the toilet. Or stuck in traffic. Or sitting at dinner while pretending to listen to the nonsense coming out of my girlfriends mouth while secretly comparing gear stats on my phone. Would it not be a better idea to have both a fleshed out website AND a comprehensive app directly linked to that website that I can access on my phone?

Velrak said:

I was under the impression that Pantheon was being built as a game that runs at a slower pace with less automation and hand holding. A game made to stand apart from the horde of watered down generic MMOs that flood the market? The game not even in alpha yet and devs are already looking for ways to trivialize the impact of time spent in game. Really people do not see the issue with allowing folks that are not in game to be able to buy/sell in a auction house, be able to set up your character to craft while your not in game??? How long until macros are added so that you can afk and work on raising your characters skills,add-ons to track rare spawns,add-ons to tell you when a boss mob is going to cleave all in the name of QoL improvements/convience and the mulitude of other excuses all the other games use for their rediculious hand holding easy mode game play???

I'm not sure you read every idea that the members have put forth. For one, we don't know yet how they'll handle trading. We don't know if it'll be akin to the EC tunnel of old, or an automated Auction House. We don't know if this app will allow you to actually buy or sell items, or allow you to craft, and frankly, I hope it doesn't. What I DO hope is that, if it's the EC tunnel style of trading, there is a live feed of the /auction channel. A way to compare prices and plan what your next piece of gear will be. A way to look up craft recipes, but not to actually craft. A way to stay in contact with friends and guild in game. A way to connect to the game without actually playing. A way to even look for groups in LFG while sitting on your couch watching the cooking channel.

What about those ideas makes it "easy mode"? If anything, those ideas promote the social aspect of the game. They give you the convenience of being connected without being connected.

Velrak said:

I'm sorry Kilsin, but most of the ideas you mentioned as a reason to build a app are kinda pointless reasons for a app. First things first remember not everyone that owns a computer and games does not own a cell phone capable of using apps. So why would you want to already start to segregate your player base into haves and have nots?

If I'm not at my computer and want to read up on the game lore, can't I already do that by going to the games website? Why do I need a app to do so?

If I want to look at any of my guilds info concerning the calendar,spawn info,raid schedules ect ect wouldn't I just go to my guilds webpage? Why would I need a app to do so?

If I'm running late to a raid why would I need access to in game chat when I'm not in game? Shouldn't I be posting under the raid thread on my guilds webpage instead of using a app to allow me to interact with in game players from out of game?

Game outages/downtime/GM events/Announcements as I stated earlier just email your member base why do you need a app to do this?

Now this is silly. I know that the playerbase here is mostly comprised of the older generation, but do you really think we're all so old and out of touch that the majority do not own smart phones yet capable of apps? I guarantee you that if a poll was made, those without a smart phone would be a giant minority. Additionally, not everyone has access to computers at all times. I know that at my last company, most external websites had a firewall, and I was forced to use my phone to look up anything gaming related. Sure, I would prefer to use my desktop when I'm home and free to do so, but 90% of my day is spent either at work or chasing kids around. I don't have the luxury of sitting at my computer when I get home, so an App would be damn useful.

Similarly, do people even really use their personal e-mails anymore? Let's face it. This is the age of apps and smart phones. Asking VR to cater to the old fogey minority that still uses e-mails for anything other than a giant spam folder and to not progress into the new age of technology is sabotage. I mean, the only reason I use e-mails now is when I need a verification code sent to me when I forget a password to log into a website or ....an app.

There is a right, and a wrong way to do an app and still stay true to VR's vision of the game. I trust that they'll do it the right way. I trust that if they create an app for the game, it is to stay connected to friends and information and not to physically play the game. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

-Tralyan

• 724 posts
    May 11, 2016 6:29 AM PDT

Velrak said:

I tend to agree, most of what was asked in posts above could be done as a website. When making that website, by all means design it so it works well on mobile devices! But there's not much reason to make a specific "mobile only" app IMO.

Also after reading though the posts here, I think that the app should be informational only, and should not allow you to manipulate the game from "outside" (crafting etc). Enabling chat would be the most I'd agree with.

• 769 posts
    May 11, 2016 7:29 AM PDT

Sarim said:

Velrak said:

I tend to agree, most of what was asked in posts above could be done as a website. When making that website, by all means design it so it works well on mobile devices! But there's not much reason to make a specific "mobile only" app IMO.

Also after reading though the posts here, I think that the app should be informational only, and should not allow you to manipulate the game from "outside" (crafting etc). Enabling chat would be the most I'd agree with.

I feel like this is showing a slight lack of imagination. There are so many things one can do with an App that dont' equate to manipulating the game from outside.

What you can do in an App:

1. Compare gear for your class.

2. Look up spells for your class and their specs

3. Look up quest information

4. Review current prices for gear, and economic trends

5. Access the "LFG" Channel if that's in the game. Search for a group before logging on.

6. Someone mentioned an in-game camera. That would be pretty cool. Just sit back and watch the everyday life of Pantheon unfold.

7. If ..IF there is any kind of cash shop in the future that solely sells "fluff" items, it could be linked to that. (Note that I am not advocating that shop)

8. A way to change your subsciption and account settings on the go.

9. A "wardrobe" that shows your avatar, where you can mix and match armor to find the look you want.

10. Bestiary

11. Crafting database (NOT a way to craft. just a way to look up crafting information)

12. Access to guild chat

13. Maybe even access to chat with people on your friends list

14. We could go on!

How are any of those options something that manipulates gameplay?

• 116 posts
    May 11, 2016 8:01 AM PDT

I would use an app if it was available. If there is such an app, here are some features I'd like to see:

-Guild & Friend chat (possibly global channels if they exist)

-Guild management tool

-auction house or cosignment shop management

-crafting (obviously exlcluding stuff that require special geographical location like Mount Doom forge discussed in other threas, if such requirements exist)

-lore book reading

-item database

Now I know this is supposed to be an old-school game and all, but why does the time invested in the game necessarily needs to be done at the PC? I could see the app being like a lite-client that allows for interacting with the game. This obviously exlcude all adventuring activities because I wouldn't expect my character to have a physical presence in the world from the app. As others have mentionned, often time I could use an app for little 5-10min stints while watching the kids at the park, being a passenger in the car, work break, etc.

• 112 posts
    May 11, 2016 11:17 AM PDT

viewing your character sheet, a talent/AA planner (does not actually spend the points you have accrued)

access to guild chat

notification that someone on your friends list/guild has logged in (maybe personal tells from these people). someone knows you sell iron ore? they can ask if you will be on tonight.

no actually gameplay elements - crafting, mail, auction house (if there is one) etc. no.

• 9115 posts
    May 11, 2016 6:44 PM PDT

Some great replies here folks with lots of interesting ideas! :)

• 4 posts
    May 13, 2016 11:20 AM PDT

I have Destiny companion app for Destiny on PS4. I think I use the app more than I play the game.  It would be a useful tool for  Pantheon for guild communication, news, and lore, quest, and class research etc. for when you're offline.  Obviously the emphasis should be on making a great game rather than an app, but once everything is in place I'd use it.

• 170 posts
    February 25, 2017 5:15 PM PST

Yes. I would use a Pantheon App. I work an 8 - 6 schedule as in eight 10 hour days in a row (wed-wed) then six days off (thur-tue). So for me if I could read lore, patch notes, talk in guild chat, or send/receive tells from friends in game ( ...Hey dude I found this sweet spot in Skargol to work on your alchemy. When you on?), post on the forums, sign up for raids on the forums, download game music, or research trade skill recipes and drop locations for ingredients. I would totally get the app. I'm sure if it had uses like this others would get it to that have to work an all-nighter or have a screwy shift, are out of town and chatting with guildies and friends from the hotel or whatever. I have been in games before and had people kick me from guild for inactivity because I hadn't logged in for a week and they were purging the non-actives. I see I'm in the minority here but if you are considering one I'd totally get it.

• 15 posts
    February 25, 2017 6:36 PM PST

I'd be down to use an app for chat and lore.

I once had a ghetto little app called Everquest Little Book of Lore or something that was just a collection of various books you could find throughout Norrath (and beyond) all formatted together. So when I was in class (bad me) I could read through storeis of Miragul and his quest for immortality, or the history of the Wood Elves.

Granted I'd like to first explore Terminus and find lore that way, but the general idea of that type of app.

• 1618 posts
    February 25, 2017 6:46 PM PST

I would spend all my work breaks, kids sporting events, and watching terrible movies with my wife on this app. 

I would love to be able to buy/sell on the broker/auction house, craft, and maybe even harvesting mini-games.

• 521 posts
    February 25, 2017 7:08 PM PST

Id prefer it didn't take the place of the game, but maybe something with lore, or character bios, maybe an option for the real world where I'm notified of a pantheon player nearby showing their character info and options to add Friends if not already, that could be cool to put a face to the name, or maybe make new friend's that way.

• 363 posts
    February 25, 2017 8:55 PM PST
    • - Forums
    • - Guild Chat
    • - Friends List / Chat
    • - Official Announcements
    • - FAQ
    • - Screenshots & Videos
    • - An [Updated] World Map
    • - Dev Streams
    • - Pre-Release Character Creation Designer? :) (dreaming, I know)
    • - Patch Notes (post-release)
    • - Detailed Character Stats (post-release, only your own characters)

Also, guys & gals, they have a team that specifically focuses on web design, which would include mobile app development. Throwing an app on their to-do list will not take away from content development. Different department folks.

This post was edited by Flossie at February 25, 2017 9:04 PM PST
    • 690 posts
    February 25, 2017 9:10 PM PST

A lot of this has been mentioned and I'm throwing in my support.

If you do have any system that turns your player into an NPC (caravans, skill book reading, crafting, eq1 bazaar) an app would be quite helpful for checking up on your character, even if you can't manipulate him. Especially if it had alerts.

A map, recent updates lists, and even calanders for special events would be cool too.

Being able to optionally join up on your favorite chats, like guild or friend broadcasts, might be interesting, but obviously nothing like /lfg. 

You might even have some sort of system where you can explore and effect inconsequential areas like guild halls or player owned houses.

I don't really like the idea of little mini games. Even if you tie them really well into lore or make them really fun, Pantheon related mini games, I would prefer seeing that content in the actual game if it's so good.  

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 25, 2017 9:13 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    February 26, 2017 12:52 AM PST

An app that includes chat functionality would be great to serve as a built in batphone, saving raiding guilds the trouble of creating their own systems for this.

• 157 posts
    February 26, 2017 1:30 AM PST
    Mini game to play on the phone; spawn into a random server / random zone as a wandering spirit. Cant attack or Agro anything but can be killed. Decently high runspeed for avoiding players. So it's a game of blind (for the spirit) hide and seek. If there's an achievements page or stats tracker anywhere it could have an entry of: "Number of wandering spirits killed: " as well as "Longest time spent alive as a wandering spirit"

Obviously installing pantheon on your phone is a no go but perhaps a simple 2 dimensional display of a zone map with you as a dot running around on it and red dots for players hunting you down that ends with "you were vanquished by Soandso !" *shrug*

Could potentially give alerts or perception hits when one spawns nearby in game. I wouldn't bother with any sort of tangible rewards or loots but you could make it more interesting for both players and people logging onto spirits in many ways.

Not a big deal, but something to mindlessly pass time while at work. Hell I'd be doing it right now instead of forum browsing if I could :)

I realize EQ did something similar at one point by allowing players to log on as monsters but it had nothing to do with mobile apps.

Just daydreaming / brainstorming / bored. Sorry if it's a **** idea :)