Forums » Pantheon Lore

Religion?

• 2 posts
    May 1, 2016 8:57 PM PDT

So I would like to know how religion is going to play into this game. The name Pantheon invokes the Divine aspect of the game, Will it be like eq 2 where usless gear is sacrificed to a diety for favor and unique buffs? Or will it just be a passing mention without any interaction? Or perhapse there will be more interactions between the mortal and immortal realms. I personally would love to see faith play a role in this game. It does get quite tedious to play a priest or spiritual class without having a deity to interact with. Anyone hear anything on this ? 

If the team has not thought about it, I would be happy to help :) Hopefully there is something fun and new in the works :) 

Thanks! 

• 165 posts
    May 2, 2016 12:21 AM PDT

Tunare!

• 589 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:00 AM PDT

Awaiting a final decision on what classes a Halfling can be (/hint /hint Mage, chanter, bard).........but I am pretty sure I will start with Halfling.  Obviously the main religion will shape up to be Kirren (omg I feel like a beach island cat) ....anyway....Kirren.   But Lyone is probably the most important figure.  Her "sacrifice" is mentioned and it was speculated that she was ascended by the Elves.

It seems to me the Elf demi's could have ascended her to become one of the Six, which makes a lot of sense so each had a Six from their own race and, given her status beating Molsth, they would pick her.

If that's the case, then she will be like the Tunare of the Halflings.

• 1014 posts
    May 2, 2016 10:12 AM PDT

Does this fall into a faction scenario of sorts? I think it should be in the game to help with immersion. I would like to see that is for sure. Cause and effect due to playing the wrong way say for a priest or a cleric would end up causing issues with casting and effects.

IF a caster is a healer and falls on the good side what happens when he/she goes to the dark side? Casting to heal turns into diminished returns and actually hurting targets. I am not sure that would work but hey this is a good discussion about this.

Ox

• 2 posts
    May 4, 2016 3:19 PM PDT

Do you all remember how in EQ 1 it depended on your race and class before you could choose a diety? I wonder if it will be something like that. If you were to betray your faction and switch you should loose all favor with that diety as well. It would be interesting. I just hope it is not something they throw in last minute without forethought on how it will interact and enhance the game. 

what else may be cool is to have all the temples at various places on the map to go for various services. each diety could help with an aspect or some kind of buff for a time. . .  and a price. . . 

• 1014 posts
    May 6, 2016 1:55 PM PDT

Karana said:

Do you all remember how in EQ 1 it depended on your race and class before you could choose a diety? I wonder if it will be something like that. If you were to betray your faction and switch you should loose all favor with that diety as well. It would be interesting. I just hope it is not something they throw in last minute without forethought on how it will interact and enhance the game. 

what else may be cool is to have all the temples at various places on the map to go for various services. each diety could help with an aspect or some kind of buff for a time. . .  and a price. . . 

This does add an interesting layer to the character development. Even if your faction was solid a religion can really make a mess.   Mess = challenge.   I would think buffs or something like them would be great for those that invest in that piece of the game.

I do remember the early days and having to pick a deity. I know some games actually hammered your faction if you went nuts or did non-compliant activities. It would be interesting to see if the Devs call this faction or something close to it.

Ox

• 1272 posts
    July 18, 2016 6:24 PM PDT

I do hope religion has an effect- but partly as a resultof my newbishness in Toxx and Erudin. Let me explain:

I knew there was the evil city of paineel, and one of the hardest creatures this newb ran into was an "abandoned heretic pet"

Now I had been killed by a few heretics- so being a mage and when I saw these abandoned heretic pets- and having just received the reclaim energy spell

My newbish mind puzzled out the following logic:

It is wrong to not care for your pet (elemental) - therefore it stands to reason you must reclaim it before you zone (this was you could zone with pet)

So, how did abandoned heretic pets become so?

It must've been, a lazy mage did NOT reclaim their pet- therefore the pet was allowed to wander the old zone, abandoned- to be met by a heretic that prosletized to the pet, changing its dogma making it heretical and so-  this is why it is called an abandoned, heretic, pet.

I wondered if there was a way to reconvert them but gave up. The gnome mages in Ak'anon had no such concerns

• 55 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:57 PM PDT

Would be cool if there was like a quest or epic quest for religion and perhaps your diety would give you a prayer buff. You could pray to the gods for a minor buff once a day..maybe only use it during a really tough battle in a dungeon or something of that nature to give you an extra edge.

• 3128 posts
    April 28, 2017 3:57 PM PDT

There will be Deities,  you will be able to sacrifice to them so I understand (get rid of old gear that you can't give away or sell..)  There will be factions also.   Sacrificing old gear or weapons should probably serve the purpose of gaining a (timed?) buff.  

• 153 posts
    May 1, 2017 5:05 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

There will be Deities,  you will be able to sacrifice to them so I understand (get rid of old gear that you can't give away or sell..)  There will be factions also.   Sacrificing old gear or weapons should probably serve the purpose of gaining a (timed?) buff.  

I think there was something said about how it would be beneficial to sacrifice gear in the stream. It can yield power-ups/buffs but it wasn't clearly defined.

• 31 posts
    May 26, 2017 10:38 PM PDT
    Temporary buffs are as annoying as potions. Players optimize them to accounting tasks.

I'd love to see deity commitment be part of deeper meta RP and contribute to tangible hero diversity.

Consider a simple zero-sum committed augment tree. Sacrifice items, gold, or opposing deity artifacts to gain points to spend toward a specific god. Spend those points into a tree that gives permanent passive buffs. The more you spent with 1 god, the less you are allowed to spend with others. Reaching the end of the tree removes the ability to earn points with any other god.

changing gods means earning favor in a different tree, spending it reduces your favor in the other trees. Reduced favor is destroyed (no banking favor)

VG did something like this with its skill system. You couldn't master them all, but you could max what was most important and balance the rest against each other.
    • 62 posts
    June 5, 2018 4:08 PM PDT

Yhre should be a different exp bar for Deity piety.

• 105 posts
    December 28, 2018 1:24 PM PST

Sorry to be raising an old topic from the dead, but this is one that interests me.

It's been stated that there's going to be a distinction in NPC disposition towards player characters with regards to factions and (racial) alignments, as is fairly common in MMORPGs. However, because it seems like this game is directed at an audience that has a longer attention span and is interested in immersive features that require a bit more involvement to experience it to its fullest, I feel like this should be extended to deities.

The way I envision this is that different deities have differing views on what's virtuous and what's sinful. And learning these things about the world and making decisions in a way that suits your character's personal beliefs in relation to these religions could be another way in which you develop your character.

For example, there could be a deity that values selflessness and sacrifice for the good of many and another god that stands for the survival of the fittest who thinks it's important that individuals endure hardship and learn to stand up for themselves. Now there could be a (perception based) quest in the game where the player can either choose to pay off someone's debt personally, or to enforce payment through intimidation or even violence if necessary. Choosing option one could come at the cost of a hefty sum of gold, but would garner you favor with the selfless deity and their followers. On the other hand, the survival god might see it a disturbance of the natural order to interfere on the indebted individual's behalf.

Usually, building up faction translates to non-hostile NPC's, access to better priced shops, faction-specific quests and whatnot. But I think that in case of religion it'd be far more interesting if your choices that appeal to certain deities will give you certain boons or open up alternative options to deal with problems in future quests. For instance, you might be on a quest where you have to summon and defeat a high level Revenant raid boss. You have the option to appeal to a high priest of the selfless deity if your character has been a devoted follower of the selfless god in their lifetime. The priest will promise to send aid when the time comes. Once you reach a certain phase in the fight, a small group of paladins in service of the selfless deity might enter the battle to fight on your side. On the flipside, angering the survival god may cause a circle of druids to refuse pacifying a huge beast that's running rampant and terrorizing a small town when you ask them for help, because they know your ideals conflict with their own.

This post was edited by Kaeldorn at December 28, 2018 1:40 PM PST
    • 23 posts
    March 13, 2019 3:36 PM PDT

Kaeldorn said:

Sorry to be raising an old topic from the dead, but this is one that interests me.

It's been stated that there's going to be a distinction in NPC disposition towards player characters with regards to factions and (racial) alignments, as is fairly common in MMORPGs. However, because it seems like this game is directed at an audience that has a longer attention span and is interested in immersive features that require a bit more involvement to experience it to its fullest, I feel like this should be extended to deities.

The way I envision this is that different deities have differing views on what's virtuous and what's sinful. And learning these things about the world and making decisions in a way that suits your character's personal beliefs in relation to these religions could be another way in which you develop your character.

For example, there could be a deity that values selflessness and sacrifice for the good of many and another god that stands for the survival of the fittest who thinks it's important that individuals endure hardship and learn to stand up for themselves. Now there could be a (perception based) quest in the game where the player can either choose to pay off someone's debt personally, or to enforce payment through intimidation or even violence if necessary. Choosing option one could come at the cost of a hefty sum of gold, but would garner you favor with the selfless deity and their followers. On the other hand, the survival god might see it a disturbance of the natural order to interfere on the indebted individual's behalf.

Usually, building up faction translates to non-hostile NPC's, access to better priced shops, faction-specific quests and whatnot. But I think that in case of religion it'd be far more interesting if your choices that appeal to certain deities will give you certain boons or open up alternative options to deal with problems in future quests. For instance, you might be on a quest where you have to summon and defeat a high level Revenant raid boss. You have the option to appeal to a high priest of the selfless deity if your character has been a devoted follower of the selfless god in their lifetime. The priest will promise to send aid when the time comes. Once you reach a certain phase in the fight, a small group of paladins in service of the selfless deity might enter the battle to fight on your side. On the flipside, angering the survival god may cause a circle of druids to refuse pacifying a huge beast that's running rampant and terrorizing a small town when you ask them for help, because they know your ideals conflict with their own.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and offer that one of the reasons NPC's love or hate you is because of their religion. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to presume that they have deities, just like we hopefully can. I would also go a bit further in suggesting that even within a particular race's pantheon, each member might have different ideas and embody different characteristics, which would add more depth to our choice of patron, should we be allowed to pick from multiple options within that pantheon. At this point, however, the gods don't really seem to be that involved in mortal affairs on Terminus, with the exception of Khazas. I really like the idea of appealing to the various pantheons (or their members) for aid on various things. With any luck, that will make it in the game. I'd also like to see our devotion rewarded with lore and pieces to the puzzle of why we're here, who are the gods, really, what are the details of the dragon accord, who is the power behind the Emissary, etc.