Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bestiary

• 2756 posts
    April 21, 2016 6:47 AM PDT

Kilsin's language thread made me think of this.

I used to like in EQ2 that when you killed stuff you got drops you 'collected' and when you collected enough you got a 'mastery' of that creature.  I think it gave you a small bonus in combat against them, but it was just as much a 'collector' thing.

VR like codices (that is the plural of codex?) hehe, so why not have everyone have a bestiary in their journal where you gather information on monsters?  I would actually expand this all creatures including the sentient races.

Collect hair, teeth, bones, etc for combat bonuses (you learn where their weaknesses are!).
    Collect 'artifacts' like maps and books to learn language and get bonuses taunting or charming or trading or faction etc.
    Collect cultural artifacts (pottery or religeous items or furniture) to gain bonuses to faction gain rate

Some folks might have some pre-filled (maybe rangers get taught all about giant-kin during their training a la AD&D).  You might be able to pass some on to progeny *shrug* really spit-balling now.

I think it would please the collectors and the completionists - I remember mastery used to keep me interested in hunting a particular species such that 'grinding' didn't feel that way as much hehe

"Shall we move on to a different location now?"
    "Er, I've got brains, claws, ears, bones, a couple of books, 10 pages, some pottery, a bar stool... A bit longer please, I needs to get my hands on some goblin guts before we leave!"

• 999 posts
    April 21, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

I'm all for adding depth to a game as long as it makes sense.  I'd personally prefer less of a "collection" style system (which makes me think collect 10 gnoll teeth quests) and more Project Gorgon style.

Project Gorgon has a Pathology/Anatomy skill that acts similarly to what you're requesting.  Basically, one player can conduct an /autoposy on each mob killed with an autopsy kit.  And, if the mob is too high of level versus you're skill, you'll nearly always fail the autopsy.

The autoposy skill is broken into subsections based on the type of species, and small bonuses are granted and more information is revealed the more autoposies are conducted and the higher the skill is raised.    It also provides a brief description of how the mob was killed.  I provided some links below:

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Anatomy

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Pathology

• 2756 posts
    April 21, 2016 8:27 AM PDT

I like the autopsy idea, yeah, though by the time a sword fight is done, you've probably performed most of it :)

I thought of the Bestiary as being a more holistic study, including language and culture and stuff, but yeah.

I suppose you needn't deal with it all as items in your inventory, but I actually quite liked the collection "just need one more for the set!" aspect heh.  You would consume them as you find them (unless you already had them - maybe then you wouldn't even see them anymore - or could trade them?  *shrug*)

This post was edited by disposalist at April 21, 2016 8:29 AM PDT
    • 556 posts
    April 21, 2016 8:50 AM PDT

Never been a fan of adding more things to collect in my bags. If it worked in the EQ2 method of going into an achievement type window sure but not items i need to hold to turn in. Space (and weight) is usually very limited as it is

• 793 posts
    April 21, 2016 9:25 AM PDT

Not big on the collecting either, but the concept of bonuses for having knowledge of a beast is cool.

Maybe someting as simple as 100 kills increases chance to hit by 1%, 500 3%, 1000 +1 damage per hit, etc, etc... Where the more successful kills you have of a creature, the bettr you become at knowing how to defeat it, which gives you advantages against that beast type.

Not sure if this ends up just being too much data to store and retrieve every fight though.

• 45 posts
    April 21, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

I wouldn't mind something alot simpler actually.  I'm thinking more of a book/codex that lists all the types of mobs that you have killed.  On each mob it would mention what type of reputation you gain or lose by killing that monster and maybe even where/what zones that monster can be found (or at least what zone you killed that monster in).  

• 613 posts
    April 21, 2016 10:15 AM PDT

Not big on the collecting either, but the concept of bonuses for having knowledge of a beast is cool.

Maybe someting as simple as 100 kills increases chance to hit by 1%, 500 3%, 1000 +1 damage per hit, etc, etc... Where the more successful kills you have of a creature, the bettr you become at knowing how to defeat it, which gives you advantages against that beast type.

Not sure if this ends up just being too much data to store and retrieve every fight though.

I think this would work with a achievement system. Maybe some bonuses for kill counts could be effective. Slay a 100 rabbits and you obviously know how to kill them quickly. No titles there though…I can see it now Rabbit Slayer!

Anyway, I think it makes sense to have a system like this. If we are exploring in the game you would need as much information about the environment as you could or you end up being rabbit food.

Ox

• 769 posts
    April 21, 2016 11:03 AM PDT

starchildren3317 said:

I wouldn't mind something alot simpler actually.  I'm thinking more of a book/codex that lists all the types of mobs that you have killed.  On each mob it would mention what type of reputation you gain or lose by killing that monster and maybe even where/what zones that monster can be found (or at least what zone you killed that monster in).  

I'd be more in line with this approach.

In addition to that information, you can use it as a way to have more info at your disposal. I believe word has already been said about certain damage types and even spells have different effects on different mobs and areas. That's more information that could be at your fingerprints after killing a set amount of any given mob. Example:

Skeleton - 1 kill

"Bones. They're made of bones. Good deduction, noobcakes"

Skeleton - 50 kills

"Found in the region south of Thronefast. Level range 1-5"

Skeleton - 100 kills

"Found in X regions, lvl range X-X, weakness to fire and blunt weapons"

Skeleton - 500 kills

"Hey, calm down, they're dead."

Obviously, there is more information that could be plugged in here. Unfortunately, at this stage, we just don't know what that info might be. But it definitely would be interesting. Group entering a dungeon full of skeleton. Guy with 500 kills+ says "Hold up, I got some notes on these guys".

Interesting dynamic.

-Tralyan

• 45 posts
    April 21, 2016 11:10 AM PDT

I like it.

• 1778 posts
    April 22, 2016 10:35 AM PDT

I really like the autopsy mechainic in Project Gorgon too. More of those kinda things in general please.

• 384 posts
    April 24, 2016 12:40 PM PDT

Amsai said:

I really like the autopsy mechainic in Project Gorgon too. More of those kinda things in general please.

/agree Me too! Could make some skills like this class specific instead of buying an autopsy kit like in Project: Gorgon. 

• 999 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:50 AM PDT

Amsai said:

Yeah, I enjoy Project Gorgon quite a bit for what it is.  It has a lot of interesting skills that I'd love Pantheon to cherrypick from.  The skill system in the game has a lot of depth (although that is their "leveling" system) where I prefer an actual level based system with skills.  But, I wouldn't mind some of the skills used in Project Gorgon to be used in Pantheon similar to stand-alone skills like sense heading in EQ that could be used as added depth versus an alternative to traditional leveling.

Here's a list for reference - scroll down a bit on the page:

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page

Many of the listed skills have sub-skills not listed on the main page as well (like anatomy) that can be viewed after clicking the link.

• 263 posts
    April 26, 2016 12:35 AM PDT

Yeah i have mixed feelings towards this. In EQ2 it got way out of hand over time. collection here and there.titel here and there. And the Mastery was a joke in the End because it never got focused on.

I would support something like this but only if the Dynamics and Balancing were taken care of and focused on thruogh out time. Not a once over. But i also like the idea and system PG has. It comes down to the devotion and time spent in developement. If its a half ass thing that is only put in because "because" then leave it out!

• 563 posts
    April 26, 2016 1:09 AM PDT

I don't really care much for any buff's or bonuses against mobs being awarded through a bestiary for killing x# of them, but I would love one simply for knowledge, story and lore about the various mobs.

A bestiary that shows the lore/history, any rumors about it, its strengths and weaknesses perhaps (eg: skeletons are vulnerable to blunt weapons), maybe where you have encountered them. This information can be added and updated through quests, npc interactions, skill usages (eg: skinning the mobs shows what kind of hide you can obtain from them), items (eg: an old manuscript about said mob) and interactions (such as fighting) with the mobs.

This post was edited by Rachael at April 26, 2016 1:10 AM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:02 PM PDT

I love most of these ideas, and would like to see them all combined into one system, I loved collecting full sets, even in Diablo, it didnt matter that I would never use the set, I just wanted to collect every set in the game, same here. As far as bag slots go, im ok with putting them in your "beastiary compendium" and if you want to give titles for killing mobs, but I would hope titles start after you kill at least 1000 of the same type of mob, its not as valuable if everyone has it at lvl 15.

• 520 posts
    January 13, 2020 4:11 AM PST

I would LOVE it! I would like a simple Pillars of Eternity like bestiary (you kill certain number of monsters of given type and you unlock lore bits about them), connected with how Dragon's Dogma did it (you needed to see monster succesfully perform an attack (so not only enemy wizard need to cast "silence" - but needs to actually apply the effect on somebody couple of times), see a monster react to different elements/status effects to know their weaknesses and so on) and even expanded - like witnessing certain monster to drop certain items we would know that it is capable of dropping it, if it drops gold we will be able to tell depending on the ammounts it dropped in front of us in which spectrum he have, and another thing would be collecting monster body parts and researching it - either someone perform autopsy on a carcass, giving body parts to alchemist to examine and so on. Gathering info on monsters would provide us with (minor) benefits, like increased chance for looting ingredients from them, increased dmg/def against them, higher chance to resist their status effects and so on. Or at the very least only moster info.

• 220 posts
    January 16, 2020 5:48 PM PST

i would rather kill mobs 50x - 100x and gain knowledge on it like BLack Desert Online but with Pantheon you could add some kind of bonus like "Increase drop rate 1%"

I would also say collecting items and artifact would take up my inventory bag space so im not in favor of collecting.

• 2756 posts
    January 17, 2020 3:06 AM PST

AbsoluteTerror said:

i would rather kill mobs 50x - 100x and gain knowledge on it like BLack Desert Online but with Pantheon you could add some kind of bonus like "Increase drop rate 1%"

I would also say collecting items and artifact would take up my inventory bag space so im not in favor of collecting.

Wouldn't have to. In some games, those 'collection' items didn't take up room at all once you decide to add them to the collection. (Didn't EQ2 work like that)

P.S. It's weird to see a thread I started in 2016 resurrected! I can't believe it's been so long (well, longer) since I became interested in Pantheon. To be honest, in many ways, it doesn't feel that long - we get regular info to keep us interested (I know some will disagree, but that's how it feels to me). In some ways, though, it feels like we've been waiting forever!

So looking forward to PA5!...

• 363 posts
    January 17, 2020 9:56 AM PST

I loved the Lord & Legend quests in EQ2, at least early into the game's life cycle because it was so impactful to your DPS in the t5-t7 era. Over time they became less valulable, while requiring more work to complete all of the available L&L's - so as long as they keep it worthwhile then I'm all for it.

• 220 posts
    January 17, 2020 7:45 PM PST

Wouldn't have to. In some games, those 'collection' items didn't take up room at all once you decide to add them to the collection. (Didn't EQ2 work like that)

P.S. It's weird to see a thread I started in 2016 resurrected! I can't believe it's been so long (well, longer) since I became interested in Pantheon. To be honest, in many ways, it doesn't feel that long - we get regular info to keep us interested (I know some will disagree, but that's how it feels to me). In some ways, though, it feels like we've been waiting forever!

So looking forward to PA5!...

Yes i saw this thread was a bit old but i thought to myself....VR must be considering what you talk about or something similar but wanted to see what the comunity think

• 168 posts
    January 27, 2020 1:06 PM PST

There was something vaguely similar in concept that was found in Warhammer Online. That game did have a few novel ideas to go with the (IMO) otherwise lackluster systems. I also enjoyed the achievements you hung from a belt, the PQs, and the class design of the Warrior Priest concept in that game. Only reason I say vaguely, is because I don't recall if you could get minor "skill increases" vs said critters.