Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Form of payments

• 801 posts
    April 11, 2016 10:45 AM PDT

Would it be possible to have some in game method of payment? like eq had krono's.

Also i would be happy to have another form of payment attached such as paypal, instead of just credit cards 100% protection for paypal users.

Searched and didnt find any info yet. I know its rather early to decide.

Thought id give my 2 cents on the paypal method.

• 148 posts
    April 11, 2016 10:47 AM PDT

I don't mind if they take paypal, credit cards, game time cards, but no in game payment methods. They all rely on someone else using rl money to buy first

• 363 posts
    April 11, 2016 3:23 PM PDT

No to Kronos. But I also did NOT like using Paypal to become a backer of this virtual world.

• 1468 posts
    April 12, 2016 3:35 AM PDT

I'd be happy if they had PayPal. Means I just need to change credit card details in one place if they expire rather than logging into loads of different accounts and updating details manually. I often forget one or two and get an angry email saying I haven't paid my bill which is annoying. So yeah I'm all for PayPal.

• 308 posts
    April 12, 2016 3:43 AM PDT

paypal, CC, whatever form of payment they take (although i would prefer CC as its harder to get a new CC if they ban you) is the way i will pay! now that being said NO KRONO... Krono are a crutch used to allow goldfarmers and other such lowlifes to pay for gaming by gaming. also in many of the games i have played the trolls and other undesireables mainly used this payment method. also they allow for a PTW aspect in the game. oh i need 5M gold to buy a new 1000 slot bag, hrmmm guess its KRONO selling time. witch means 5mg = 14.99

• 556 posts
    April 12, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

No no no. Absolutely not. If you put anything like Krono in game you are giving gold sellers/buyers a way to make money. Farm items sell them for Krono then sell the Krono for a cheaper price. While this doesn't hurt VR since they are still getting the same amount it does hurt the players. Those gold sellers perma lock certain high end camps and make it nearly impossible to get said items without going through them. On the TLP's, within the first month there was one said person who had over 300 Krono made from selling items. 300. Selling those for 8 bucks a piece is a nice chunk of change for playing a game for a month

CC, paypal sure but no in game item for game time.

• 1714 posts
    April 12, 2016 9:22 AM PDT

I'd like to think my first born child would get me a few months free. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at April 12, 2016 9:23 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    April 12, 2016 10:20 AM PDT

I would most certainly NOT be playing Pantheon if anything similar to KRONOS were put in.

-Tralyan

This post was edited by Tralyan at April 12, 2016 10:21 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    April 12, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

" ...... a Grand..."   

A grand of what?

• 116 posts
    April 12, 2016 10:26 AM PDT

I don't know how the Krono works, but I liked WoW's Token. The player never owned an item, so it could not be traded without the automated system. No way to take the USD out of the game, no incentive for gold farmers.

As for the "pay2win" aspect, ppl that want to buy currency will always do it. VR and other players reaping the benefits instead of the chinese farmers is a nice compromise in my mind.

(Additional note: I was surprised to see how little ppl value their RL money over gold in WoW. I could make the 20k gold playing the AH for a few hours and not have to pay for a whole month. Sitting at 600k gold, it felt silly to me to pay 20USD to gain so little gold..)

• 2756 posts
    April 14, 2016 6:36 AM PDT

Don't those kind of in-game currency translating to RL currency things pretty much open the door for gold-sellers and whatnot to make a living?

I'm not au fait with all the technical issues, but I'd rather attempt to make all that shizzle as difficult as possible.

• 724 posts
    April 14, 2016 6:53 AM PDT

NO to Kronos. I'm just playing a bit on the EQ TLP server Phinigel, and you see a lot of items being sold for Krono here. Which means to me: Spend MORE real life money beyond the subscription fee if I really want to buy something. The prices are approaching mad levels already...some guy offering 35 Krono for an item he wants (that's about 735$). Seriously????

• 1434 posts
    April 14, 2016 6:57 AM PDT

Kronos is nothing short of RMT regulated by the game company. It should go without saying such things are bad.

• 318 posts
    December 29, 2016 7:36 AM PST

I am also strongly opposed to the idea of turning any Real Life money into MMO money.

When I returned to play EQ for the progression servers, I experieced the Krono for the first time. I believe that it helped to diminish the great community I had originally experienced. It certainly wasn't the only thing, but it certainly played a part.

Everything in EQ now had a RL value to it. You wanted to buy a FBSS from another player? Sure, 2 Krono ($33). If an item dropped that was worth something, everyone in the group needed it. No one helped each other, just to help them anymore.

• 409 posts
    December 29, 2016 12:02 PM PST

Dullahan said:
    Kronos is nothing short of RMT regulated by the game company. It should go without saying such things are bad.

^ This and Paypal? +1. :)

• 610 posts
    December 29, 2016 12:29 PM PST

Kronos (and related services) are P2W 101... No no no no.

• 763 posts
    December 29, 2016 12:45 PM PST

As I understand it, Paypal, CC-Bill and other eCard payment versions are all attached to Credit/Debit cards. So whether Pantheoln use credit card details or an electronic equivalent seems to matter little. The real question is ....
    .... do we cater for those too young to get credit/debit cards?

If pantheon plans to do so, then it would need to offer methods for them to be able to purchase 1-off 'months subscriptions' using alternate eMoney which is not backed by a credit card. This is the area where it might become problematic, though I am not well enough versed in these over the counter 'pay cash for e-money' methods to know how viable they are (surcharges for example).

Buying/Selling subs for in-game cash (as EVE does) is a mixed bag in terms of effect. I am not convinced the upside outweighs the downside (of which there is a lot).

• 610 posts
    December 29, 2016 2:44 PM PST

Evoras said:

As I understand it, Paypal, CC-Bill and other eCard payment versions are all attached to Credit/Debit cards. So whether Pantheoln use credit card details or an electronic equivalent seems to matter little. The real question is ....
    .... do we cater for those too young to get credit/debit cards?

If pantheon plans to do so, then it would need to offer methods for them to be able to purchase 1-off 'months subscriptions' using alternate eMoney which is not backed by a credit card. This is the area where it might become problematic, though I am not well enough versed in these over the counter 'pay cash for e-money' methods to know how viable they are (surcharges for example).

Buying/Selling subs for in-game cash (as EVE does) is a mixed bag in terms of effect. I am not convinced the upside outweighs the downside (of which there is a lot).

why would this be probematic? Just sell game cards in stores, companies have done this for years

• 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 4:33 PM PST

No to selling anything in game for real money.

Yes, to allowing almost any secure, electronic transaction method to pay for my sub and expansions.

• 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 4:34 PM PST

Paypal can connect directly to a bank account. No credit/debit card needed.

• 120 posts
    December 29, 2016 5:44 PM PST

I am a fan of these, but not at the start. EQ progression servers is a fine example of what they would do to a game launching with them. I would absolutely love this implementation, but probably many years down the road. By then the economy is significantly more established and these currencies can't be abused.

This post was edited by Eliseus at December 29, 2016 5:45 PM PST
    • 61 posts
    December 29, 2016 5:56 PM PST

I agree with no in-game monetary transactions at all... ever.  As far as paying for a subscription, that should all be handled outside of the game.  Doesn't matter to me how they want to collect the payment outside of the game though... I'll pay with credit card, paypal, direct deposits, turn in 30 Honey Nut Cheerios Box Tops or plant trees in my city park if that's what they want.

• 578 posts
    December 29, 2016 9:11 PM PST

I would  say no to anything similar to Kronos as well. I've heard nonthing but bad news surrounding it.

• 201 posts
    December 29, 2016 9:37 PM PST

AB-SO-LUTELY not.

• 763 posts
    December 30, 2016 2:08 AM PST

Sevens said:

why would this be probematic? Just sell game cards in stores, companies have done this for years

Oops, I didn't mean there would be a RL vs in-game money issue. Sorry if i wasn't very clear.

I only mentioned it might be an issue since I am not familiar enough with them to know if they charge extra for this kind of thing. For people paying by standing order, or paying for 3-months, 6-months or even a years subs there are usually savings to be made - I understood the short term systems (like game cards) to be generally more expensive, that's all. Presumably VR can make arrangements with one/more major stores to sell them (lord knows how that works lol).

I just wanted to flag up :
    ... the potential difference in price this might make and,
    ... potentially, the hoops Brad and co might have to jump through to get it so they were available for a majority of potential customers.