Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Melee or Magic?

• 9115 posts
    April 4, 2016 4:32 AM PDT
    What is your preferred choice, up close and personal or dropping bombs from a distance? :)
    • 1468 posts
    April 4, 2016 4:40 AM PDT

I've only really ever played hybrids and casters. I just feel like I have more abilities with those types of classes as compared with pure melee. But in Pantheon I have my eyes set on playing either a Skar Dire Lord (if that race / class combo is available) or a Ranger again. Both sound like fun classes and I'd be happy with either one. I guess I could try out a pure class like the Rogue though although I really don't know much about them other than backstab and hide / sneak.

• 724 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:01 AM PDT

So far I've mostly played caster classes in MMOs, the exception being VG where I played a disciple. You can rest during combat breaks (while a tank/monk will have to pull), you have often a better overview of the combat situation, and casters in general have more tricks up their sleeves than melee. That said, I also like playing melee classes, but I prefer small groups with them.

Btw. Kilsin, will the new forum allow polls? I really liked the poll feature on the old site, and hope to see something like it again! :)

• 71 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:02 AM PDT

A bit of both, and that is why I prefer to play a Ranger. I like to melee and used ranged (bow or cast). I like the ultility that the class offers.

If I had to choose just one, it would melee over casting though. There's nothing like being in the thick of it.

• 643 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:25 AM PDT

Caster of magic - all the way.

I had played a Rogue and a Paladin but I love the non-melee play - druid, chanter, mage.

I loved my rouge's potential but always felt frustrated by him.  Same with my Paladin.  I just got the sense neither was great.  They were both ok/good but neither was indespensible.  

• 9115 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:46 AM PDT

Nice, decent mix so far but slightly caster sided ;)

• 563 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:49 AM PDT

I like a mix of both, able to smack an enemy and cast devastating/beneficial spells. This is what I remember about playing a cleric in Vanguard. I played with an RL friend whom rolled a rogue, we often fought for aggro (I'd yell at him to keep it lol) but I remember buffing us/healing us, while swinging away at our targets (if not tanking one or two).

I'm sure I remember going out into a beach front, swimming across some ocean, and getting to an island and fighting my way up it (I think they were a crocodile/lizard type mob?) The island also had very beautiful shorefront caves. It was one of the first moments in my gaming history where I felt like I had to record it for history (though that was lost on a very old computer lol so much for documentation :S) I bought FRAPS for this very purpose xD Vanguard was beautiful!

edit: second paragraph didn't post for some reason

Rachael

This post was edited by Rachael at April 4, 2016 6:01 AM PDT
    • 624 posts
    April 4, 2016 6:10 AM PDT

Bard singing

• 128 posts
    April 4, 2016 6:47 AM PDT

My most loved classes are Necromancer, Wizard, Druid, Bard and SK.

So my preference sounds like i am a caster. If i am up close i am the tank. Melee DPS classes don't appeal to me.

• 279 posts
    April 4, 2016 6:50 AM PDT

Sit back and let pet do all the work.

• 556 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:00 AM PDT

If I could easily answer this question then I would not struggle on what class I want to play for months lol. I probably won't be able to decide until testing classes in beta. Oddly enough that's usually my main reason for pushing to get into beta's

• 9 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:02 AM PDT

I mostly prefer bow or melee. I will occationally play a caster, so long as they don't use a pet.

• 9115 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:11 AM PDT

Rachael said:

I like a mix of both, able to smack an enemy and cast devastating/beneficial spells. This is what I remember about playing a cleric in Vanguard. I played with an RL friend whom rolled a rogue, we often fought for aggro (I'd yell at him to keep it lol) but I remember buffing us/healing us, while swinging away at our targets (if not tanking one or two).

I'm sure I remember going out into a beach front, swimming across some ocean, and getting to an island and fighting my way up it (I think they were a crocodile/lizard type mob?) The island also had very beautiful shorefront caves. It was one of the first moments in my gaming history where I felt like I had to record it for history (though that was lost on a very old computer lol so much for documentation :S) I bought FRAPS for this very purpose xD Vanguard was beautiful!

edit: second paragraph didn't post for some reason

Rachael

Haha, nice! That sounds very much like the Hunters League quest island - Skawlra Rock, I spent way too many hours there on all my alts grabbing that gear lol :)

• 109 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:14 AM PDT

I always play melee or a hybrid that melees, just seems more visceral. I do currently have a cleric alt I play though when I just want to sit down and relax hah. In VG I rolled a sorc alt from boredom and actually loved it, used  to tear stuff up with that lil guy (was a gnome, I also never play gnomes!) lol.

• 563 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:18 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Rachael said:

Haha, nice! That sounds very much like the Hunters League quest island - Skawlra Rock, I spent way too many hours there on all my alts grabbing that gear lol :)

If the few images from google are showing me what I think they are, that is totally the island im talking about! :D This place has always been one of my favourite memories from my MMO history xD thank you for putting a name to it Kilsin! :D

• 801 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:21 AM PDT

I used to play a necro, then went shaman, then rogue, and then finally a mage. I rather enjoyed the mage later on, since it wasnt such a fight for gear. The rogue was the hardest for me around pop era in eq because we fought over gear to rangers, zerkers, tanks, etc... and it was so hard to bid, or random against a main tank or higher dps (at whatever time SOE made better).

I will really have to review the classes this time, as i love to box and solo, and group/raid. So if i where to say caster I would pick a possible summoner magic, and or necro if dps is good. Otherwise as a melee i would pick rogue, ranger type classes.

Otherwise a bard for kiting if possible.

• 200 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:23 AM PDT

I'm playing healer classes so i will go with magic. But when i'm playing non-healer alts then i choose both, magic and melee when the classes sound interesting.

Greetings

This post was edited by Larirawiel at April 4, 2016 7:25 AM PDT
    • 668 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

I played a Monk, Bard, Enchanter, Druid, Cleric in EQ 1...  The Monk and Bard were my main toons and the rest were utiility for buffing or back up when needed.

So I would have to say up close and personal for me... I also liked the responsibility of safe pulling for the group, making tough situations go smoothly for the group.

• 62 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:29 AM PDT

It depends on the spell effects. If spells look the same no matter what level, then I would probably go with melee. Ultimately, it comes down to what class suits my play style the most.

• 103 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:33 AM PDT

Dropping bombs from a distance. And by bombs I mean "poison laced sharp objects." And by "sharp objects"....

...arrows, I mean arrows.

Magic is for unicorns, and hippies ... 

• 71 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is your preferred choice, up close and personal or dropping bombs from a distance? :)

Why not both? Hellloooooo Shadow Knight!

• 63 posts
    April 4, 2016 8:04 AM PDT

Sarim said:

you have often a better overview of the combat situation, and casters in general have more tricks up their sleeves than melee.

This.

I mained a cleric and goofed around with a twinked monk later on. I really disliked being in the fray and not knowing what's going on with the monk, especially when you're intent on playing in first-person camera view like I am. Sitting with the casters as the cleric was really enjoyable. I could see if our wizard was pulling his weight or if the chanter was going to stand up and mez.

I plan to roll cleric, summoner or wizard this time around.

Talv

• 430 posts
    April 4, 2016 8:06 AM PDT
    Hybrids are us , a little bit of both :)
    • 999 posts
    April 4, 2016 9:31 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Prefer melee/tank, but I'll probably have both types.  Tank (Dire Lord most likely depending on reveal) for when I have more time, and support/caster (Enchanter/Shaman/Summoner) for when I have less.  

Love playing a tank, but always hated breaking up groups due to us not being able to find a replacement in time.

• 383 posts
    April 4, 2016 9:36 AM PDT

I like both, though as Raidan I prefer a tank class.