Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

character slots in game

• 13 posts
    March 30, 2016 5:14 AM PDT

I noticed a thread about alpha, but I could not find a post about how many slots will be available in game. As a sufferer of altitis I was curious if there was any discussion as to how many slots there would be? Will they be server based like EQ or account based like EQ2? If this was in another thread sorry I could not find it.

• 1468 posts
    March 30, 2016 5:24 AM PDT

Lodiki said:

I noticed a thread about alpha, but I could not find a post about how many slots will be available in game. As a sufferer of altitis I was curious if there was any discussion as to how many slots there would be? Will they be server based like EQ or account based like EQ2? If this was in another thread sorry I could not find it.

No information released as of yet as far as I am aware. Probably a bit early in the development cycle to be making such decisions.

Edit: There is a thread about 4 topics below this one about this very topic :|.

This post was edited by Cromulent at March 30, 2016 5:26 AM PDT
    • 13 posts
    March 30, 2016 5:47 AM PDT

Thank you for your response. Thought the information might not have been released but wanted to check. I did see the topic below, as it was asking about alpha specifically, I thought I would ask about in game.

• 211 posts
    March 30, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

I hope there's at least 8 (I also like trying different classes/races on alts)

• 3852 posts
    December 13, 2016 6:58 PM PST

My hope is that there are enough to allow trying all classes. All race/class combinations would be a bit ...greedy. That is what the delete function (toonicide) is for.

Personally I care mostly about the number of slots per server. I prefer all serious characters on one server able to trade with eachother and guildmates.

• 85 posts
    December 13, 2016 9:36 PM PST

I definitely hope there's enough to try all the classes!  I'm an altoholic for sure!

• 2886 posts
    December 14, 2016 3:00 AM PST

I have 9 planned. Might as well round that up to 10 lol. 10 is a good number :)

Unfortunately, we probably won't get a concrete answer any time soon.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 14, 2016 3:02 AM PST
    • 1468 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:08 AM PDT

I accidently posted in another thread but this is the thread I meant to post in.

It has been a long time since I last posted in here and maybe it is time to bring this up. Will VR be selling additional character slots for those people who like a lot of alts? This is the only thing I think that would fine to sell for real life money. I'm sure a lot of people like having a lot of alts and allowing them to buy extra character slots will keep them happy while at the same time making a bit of extra money for game development. Has this been discussed at all? If not it would be interesting to hear what the devs think of the idea.

• 2886 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:23 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

I accidently posted in another thread but this is the thread I meant to post in.

It has been a long time since I last posted in here and maybe it is time to bring this up. Will VR be selling additional character slots for those people who like a lot of alts? This is the only thing I think that would fine to sell for real life money. I'm sure a lot of people like having a lot of alts and allowing them to buy extra character slots will keep them happy while at the same time making a bit of extra money for game development. Has this been discussed at all? If not it would be interesting to hear what the devs think of the idea.

I don't think this has been decided. But my guess would be that you always have an option to buy a new account. That's how you got more character slots in EQ :)

• 1468 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:26 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Cromulent said:

I don't think this has been decided. But my guess would be that you always have an option to buy a new account. That's how you got more character slots in EQ :)

True. But that results in a monthly expense where as buying extra character slots is just a one off expense. Depends on how you want to budget your money. Sometimes budgeting for one off expenses is easier than monthly expenses.

• 3852 posts
    April 27, 2017 8:28 AM PDT

As discussed in the other thread things also depend on how character slots are assigned and how many servers there are.

Some games give a set number of slots per account. You want more you need to buy them (if that is an option) or get another account.

Some games give a set number of slots per server. Even if you want every serious character on the same server so they can trade with eachother, craft for eachother, etc. you can create characters on different servers to try out classes and races and if you like them create them on your primary server.

Obviously a small per-account limit is more onerous than a small per-server limit. Though one can always reserve a slot for experimentation and simply murder each character after you have tested it out. Regimented toonicide for those with strong stomachs.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 27, 2017 8:28 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    April 27, 2017 10:15 AM PDT

For alpha I wouldn't mind seeing open character slots, or a very high limit. Same for closed beta. Open beta and release have whatever slot limit they decide on.

Stuck (can't log in) characters, testing combos, verifying bugs with a similar character, server specific issues.. lots of reasons to provide plenty of alpha/beta slots.