Forums » Pantheon Races

Zombie / Undead race

• 20 posts
    March 29, 2016 2:04 PM PDT

I know the races for launch are already set, but do you think we might see an Undead race down the road? I remember at one point there being discussion of having them in, but I can't find anything about it since the forum switch.

• 130 posts
    April 1, 2016 9:48 AM PDT

I'm gonna throw my support behind an undead race.  It would be really cool.  I imagine it would be difficult to play as you'd be KOS in many places, which might have a cool challenging factor in itself.

• 200 posts
    April 2, 2016 4:13 PM PDT

In The elder scrolls online you can become a vampire or werewolf. You get some additional abilities but also some disadvantages like increased vulnerability against fire damage as a vampire. Yes, i like the idea. :) Maybe not an undead race but something like becoming undead with other races.

Greetings

This post was edited by Larirawiel at April 4, 2016 12:03 AM PDT
    • 21 posts
    April 14, 2016 2:49 PM PDT

Just no.. I hate the fact in ESO you can become vampire/werewolf and have an obvious advantage over those who wish not to taint themselves. Thus last time I played ESO.. everyone was looking to be a vampire or werewolf. Just isn't fun, you should have to give up your class for a werewolf and enforce the penelties of vampirism to make it that its almost not worth it as ether option should give you a lot of trouble and torment.

Undead is also a World of Warcraft thing.. logically most if not all races would outright kill an undead player theme wise; lets just not try to turn this game into a wow or eso clone please.

This post was edited by evogelion at April 14, 2016 2:50 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    April 18, 2016 1:19 PM PDT

Whilst I don't think any particular race that a previous game has famously used would necessarily exclude them from consideration I'm not a fan of undead as a playable race.  I don't think it fits in high fantasy.  Most undead are bestial or brainless - the ones that are intelligent stay well clear of all other races to avoid being killed.  To change this means to change what undead means.

It's always felt weird for traditionally 'evil' races to mix with good in groups, never mind undead.

Noone's opinion is 'wrong' but it's not for me.  A bit faddy.

• 432 posts
    June 28, 2016 9:37 PM PDT

I love the idea of more races, and I always will. People want 'more' from their MMORPG and this is one of the biggest 'wants' I see from players. When new character models are introduced as NPC's, often times the players are going to wish they could play that race. The problem here is Budget (like it always is). Getting a new race down the road is almost 100% likely, look at successful MMORPG's and there is a theme behind new classes and new races: it makes money. I'm not sure if your suggestion will be as popular as others, but I'm behind ya man. The more the merrier!

-Todd

• 129 posts
    August 22, 2016 9:22 AM PDT

I'd be okay with an undead race if they were perma KOS everywhere. Remember how Iksar couldn't wear plate? Well, the undead race cannot gain city faction and their faction only goes down outside of their own city, where it starts the highest and can be lowered or raise. The only reason why I left it to city faction is to not totally exclude the race from ally faction rewards, that said, I would dare take it so far they could never be more than apprehensive with any faction.

I think generally, most normal people would try to kill them for XP or leave it to the Necromancers to enslave them, they are mindless at best in many cases. The undead is also something that, even in fantasy world, is considered something truly unnatural and is largely shunned. Even Necromancers keep them as pets, not equals.

Most people might look at my suggestion like it's too harsh, but it would provide a unique playstyle, not just another reskin, that would truly encompass what it would be like to be an actual undead. No matter how many Undead Lives Matter movements there are, you will always be butchered on sight, because you are an abomination of something someone once loved and cared about that someone living may or may not end up like when they die.

• 186 posts
    November 13, 2016 3:12 PM PST

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts/731681

Was called Revenant, sounded really cool. Wonder if they ever plan on developing them. Not sure they could use the Revenant name though with GW2 using it *shrugs* who knows?

• 2886 posts
    November 14, 2016 11:57 AM PST

Rogue said:

I'd be okay with an undead race if they were perma KOS everywhere. Remember how Iksar couldn't wear plate? Well, the undead race cannot gain city faction and their faction only goes down outside of their own city, where it starts the highest and can be lowered or raise. The only reason why I left it to city faction is to not totally exclude the race from ally faction rewards, that said, I would dare take it so far they could never be more than apprehensive with any faction.

I think generally, most normal people would try to kill them for XP or leave it to the Necromancers to enslave them, they are mindless at best in many cases. The undead is also something that, even in fantasy world, is considered something truly unnatural and is largely shunned. Even Necromancers keep them as pets, not equals.

Most people might look at my suggestion like it's too harsh, but it would provide a unique playstyle, not just another reskin, that would truly encompass what it would be like to be an actual undead. No matter how many Undead Lives Matter movements there are, you will always be butchered on sight, because you are an abomination of something someone once loved and cared about that someone living may or may not end up like when they die.

I agree. Pantheon is high fantasy. In order to be done right, it would have to be a COMPLETELY different playstyle than the rest of the races. Almost everything - the way you take damage, heal, die, rez, etc. - would essentially be the opposite as everyone else. And to compensate for the fact that you'd be immune to cold, poison, disease, etc., you'd also be slow, weak, and dumb as dirt. And I just don't think that's an experience many people would find fun.  Other than the novelty of it, I don't see any good reason to be a shambling pile of bones and flesh. Pretty much every group would just think of you as a nuisance. No thank you. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't even make sense to me that undead would even have a home city. Undead are the opposite of civilized. I wouldn't be surprised if VR scrapped the plans for the Revenant. Doesn't really fit here.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 14, 2016 12:02 PM PST
    • 690 posts
    December 4, 2016 11:52 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I agree. Pantheon is high fantasy. In order to be done right, it would have to be a COMPLETELY different playstyle than the rest of the races. Almost everything - the way you take damage, heal, die, rez, etc. - would essentially be the opposite as everyone else. And to compensate for the fact that you'd be immune to cold, poison, disease, etc., you'd also be slow, weak, and dumb as dirt. And I just don't think that's an experience many people would find fun.  Other than the novelty of it, I don't see any good reason to be a shambling pile of bones and flesh. Pretty much every group would just think of you as a nuisance. No thank you. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't even make sense to me that undead would even have a home city. Undead are the opposite of civilized. I wouldn't be surprised if VR scrapped the plans for the Revenant. Doesn't really fit here.

The Revenant are what you could call the biggest most obvious bad guys of pantheon. They are everywhere and attack everyone. If you start there:

1. Revenant couldn't really be THAT evil unless you were talking pvp...All your guards kill this guy but you are just happy grouping with him? weird right? (though lots of pve games including Everquest don't seem to mind this)
    2. You could have a Revenant group who for whatever reason don't hate everyone...that bad...for example they broke away from the mental side of the curse or their theoretically dead leader. However, proving to other races that you are not one of the "bad revenants" would definately be difficult and merrit the KOS.

My question is when did "high fantasy" require Final Fantasy rules for undead? why should they be strong against cold or weak against healing?

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at December 4, 2016 11:52 PM PST