Forums » Pantheon Races

Barbarians

• 2 posts
    March 27, 2016 5:14 AM PDT

I loved the barb race in eq, (the kilts and all being Scottish) and have missed them since, does anyone know if there is rumoured to be a similar race in Pantheon?

oh and will pulling mechanics be like eq? I loved and still miss the art of monk pulling!

• 11 posts
    September 12, 2016 7:50 PM PDT

Sorry to Necro, but I didn't want to start a new post just to agree with this one. I am a big supporter of Barbarians in Pantheon, or something that matches them as close as possible. I'd like to have a large "good" race to play (I've always played the barb races,EQ1, EQOA, EQ2, so yes I'm bias). The "baddies" have Ogres, I'd love to see some Barbs. The sturdy Men and Women of the North. :-)

• 159 posts
    February 25, 2017 8:29 AM PST

Archai fit this requirement I believe

• 1618 posts
    February 25, 2017 9:16 AM PST

I have never really understood the difference between Barbarians and Humans and why they should be separate.

In my understanding, they are more of a cultural difference than a physical race. So, humans could have the larger physical  appearnance, different clothing style choices, and different societal norms.

This could be accomplished by giving Humans another starting area with the traditional cold weather, less developed cities/societies, and better options in character creation.

• 2886 posts
    February 25, 2017 12:39 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I have never really understood the difference between Barbarians and Humans and why they should be separate.

In my understanding, they are more of a cultural difference than a physical race. So, humans could have the larger physical  appearnance, different clothing style choices, and different societal norms.

This could be accomplished by giving Humans another starting area with the traditional cold weather, less developed cities/societies, and better options in character creation.

I kind of agree and I, for one, don't really miss the Barbarians. But at the same time I also understand why some games like Skyrim will differentiate between different human-like races (Imperial, Breton, Nord, etc.). I think the biggest thing is if a particular demographic has spent generations living in a cold climate, their bodies are going to adapt and they will have more of a natural resistance to cold than the rest of the "humans," among other things. At which point, you probably might as well just make them a separate race.

P.S. Jizo, don't apologize for necroing a thread - it's always better to continue an old one than start a new one.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 25, 2017 12:40 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    February 25, 2017 2:33 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Beefcake said:

I kind of agree and I, for one, don't really miss the Barbarians. But at the same time I also understand why some games like Skyrim will differentiate between different human-like races (Imperial, Breton, Nord, etc.). I think the biggest thing is if a particular demographic has spent generations living in a cold climate, their bodies are going to adapt and they will have more of a natural resistance to cold than the rest of the "humans," among other things. At which point, you probably might as well just make them a separate race.

P.S. Jizo, don't apologize for necroing a thread - it's always better to continue an old one than start a new one.

I can understand separating different human groups for faction purposes, such as in TESO, where most of the races are basically human. But, I would think here, they would just be closely aligned with the humans and Dwarves. But, that's just my opinion.

• 2886 posts
    February 25, 2017 7:11 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Bazgrim said:

Beefcake said:

I can understand separating different human groups for faction purposes, such as in TESO, where most of the races are basically human. But, I would think here, they would just be closely aligned with the humans and Dwarves. But, that's just my opinion.

I mean, I can kinda see a nomadic, truly "barbaric" race that just likes to pillage, kinda like Vikings in a way. They probably wouldn't even have an "alignment." They could be neutral or even disliked by all races, as they are equal opportunity pillagers haha. I think the hardest part to explain would be why they're in Terminus. The lore writers at VR are far more creative than I, but based on what we know about how the other races got there, I think it'd be a bit of stretch. Either way, I think we can agree that Barbarians aren't really needed in Pantheon haha.

• 11 posts
    February 25, 2017 10:34 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Traditionally, they are just a cultural difference, but that's the nice thing about the fantasy games. They don't have to be. I enjoyed the race in EQOA and I enjoyed the race in EQ1/2. They didn't have them in Vanguard, but they gave me something close, the Half-giants. I always kind of looked at the barbs from the EQ games as just a larger race of humans, almost like a viking race. Through so many years of enduring the rough, cold climate, they adapted by becoming larger and heartier.  
    So, I don't agree that they are not needed. I need them. :-)

• 3237 posts
    February 26, 2017 1:05 PM PST

I probably would have played a barbarian if they were available.  Too late now, my brother and I have both assimilated to the dark side and will be playing ogre tanks.

• 39 posts
    March 8, 2017 1:33 PM PST

Over the years i have leaned myself on a more Nordic looking large human race.  This is not to say that in character creation we might have the operturnity to make our Human LOOK like a very loveable huggable Viking warrior.   Don't knock it till you try it!

• 57 posts
    April 6, 2017 5:43 AM PDT

In EverQuest, there where 3 types of human races. You had the barbarians that gave cold resistance plus slam ability, wore large/medium armor and started in Halas. Then you had the erudites that had magic resistance at the cost of disease resistance. wore medium armor and started in 2 citys (Erudin and Paineel). Finally you had the generic humans that had no benefits, wore medium armor and started in 3 different citys (Qeynos, Freeport and Surefall Glade). At this time while we don't have certain sub-sects of humans, character creation will be where you can try to model your character how you would like it to look like those classic EverQuest races. In future expansions it might be possible to add those sub-races and people can then create those classic examples, I would probally purchase a racial change if it was offered (my first since I have been in MMO's), because of how much time and work put into my main character.

• 2886 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:00 AM PDT

Zohkar said:

In EverQuest, there where 3 types of human races. You had the barbarians that gave cold resistance plus slam ability, wore large/medium armor and started in Halas. Then you had the erudites that had magic resistance at the cost of disease resistance. wore medium armor and started in 2 citys (Erudin and Paineel). Finally you had the generic humans that had no benefits, wore medium armor and started in 3 different citys (Qeynos, Freeport and Surefall Glade). At this time while we don't have certain sub-sects of humans, character creation will be where you can try to model your character how you would like it to look like those classic EverQuest races. In future expansions it might be possible to add those sub-races and people can then create those classic examples, I would probally purchase a racial change if it was offered (my first since I have been in MMO's), because of how much time and work put into my main character.

Lol if Erudites are considered a subsect of humans, then the character creation screen better have a crazy forehead slider. Those things are not human. I really don't think VR is too concerned with allowing people to mimic classic EQ races just for the sake of nostalgia though. This is an entirely different world. Some things that made sense in Norrath don't make sense in Terminus.

• 57 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:50 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Lol if Erudites are considered a subsect of humans, then the character creation screen better have a crazy forehead slider. Those things are not human. I really don't think VR is too concerned with allowing people to mimic classic EQ races just for the sake of nostalgia though. This is an entirely different world. Some things that made sense in Norrath don't make sense in Terminus.

Nod, character creation with a massive head slider would be interesting and funny. But yes, Erudites where originally from the city of Qeynos and broke off from them. Ironically the humans where a sub-sect of the barbarians, given knowledge and wisdom to change from the petty war like barbarians and formed more civilized citys. For me it will just come down to the character creation process where I can use sliders to make my character look as close to the barbarians that I remember from EverQuest and EverQuest ][.