Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Fishing?

• 668 posts
    February 17, 2017 8:17 PM PST

Ceythos said:

I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the amount of interest Fishing seems to have. Fishing is always near and dear to my heart as it was something my father and I greatly enjoyed together, so the chance to digitally capture some of that nostalgia gives me a bias towards wanting it. Why it's important to the game though, is we want to consider it part of the harvesting system so it feeds directly into Cooking, Alchemy, and other tradeskills. As also mentioned in this threatd, there's opportunities for us to have triggered events and spawns, as well as the opportunity to fish up quest starters/items, as well some trash and treasures.

Our biggest question to you though is: how do you see yourselves interacting with Fishing in the game? Do you want something actiony, with its own rules and movements, or do you see it as a more casual thing to do between slaying monsters, or something else entirely? Regardless, we'll likely be starting with something simple, but as we begin to work around the framework of what it *could* be in action, we'd like to hear your thoughts a bit. 

A couple things I want considered...

Let's make sure fishing offers something unique that ONLY fishing can produce.  Whether it be special crafting materials, treasure maps, etc...  something unique to fishing

Secondly, I would like to see the ability to catch rare species that could have value or be traded in for unique things.  The thought of the chance to catch something super rare makes each cast exciting.

*How about ancient keys that fit some of the old shacks around the world.  Up to you to find where it fits and claim your prize!

Just some ideas...

• 3016 posts
    February 20, 2017 12:40 PM PST

With the occasional "fizzle" fishing style...eg:  seaweed or an old boot that can be vendored.    Would love to see certain reagents fished up...say fish scales that are used for creating underwater breathing potions, or special maps, keys ..etc.   Along with those prized fish that were your ultimate goal when taking up that fishing rod.  :)    A fish that puts up a fight and makes you use whatever skills you have to reel it in..and gives you some sort of special reward found inside said fish.  :)  Series of different fish that can be used for cooking recipes, potion recipes (alchemy), buffs (nothing too game breaking) also fishing up the occasional starfish (some sort of magical properties useful for something..again maybe a small fishing buff, to increase skill for a short while)

• 70 posts
    February 21, 2017 9:03 AM PST

I would prefer fishing that was kind of involved like Vanguard.  There are very few games which have exciting and fun fishing.

If nothing else, hopefully there could be varying degrees of fishing depending on what you are trying to catch.  Like gentle pond fishing is pretty relaxed, just throw your line in and wait for a bite, while spear fishing could require you to fight with your fish.

• 763 posts
    February 24, 2017 6:38 AM PST

While I am not a fan of BDO's AFK fishing, it did add something I thought was 'new' for fishing.

The fish had a 'use by' date (well, time really). It seems to me that you could avoid having the market flooded with fish as more and more players just 'dabbled' in fishing by having fish go 'off' unless sold, smokes, salted or pickled within a certain time! Some fish might take longer than others to go off....

Of course, bad fish might have their uses too! (help you sneak into Dark Myr territory perhaps?) Perhaps as reagents for some spells, or possibly as 'lures' for hunting bigger fish! Perhaps even as a 'chumming agent' for hunting VERY big fish indeed!

In addition, fishing should lend itself to providing:

1. raw materials for cooking
    2. crafting components (eg bones, scales, squid ink)
    3. Alchemy components (eg fish lungs for making water breathing potion)

ofc If we take Brad at his word, we can probably divide fishing into :

Fresh water fishing,
    Sea Fishing (bigger, badder!)
    Raid Fishing (Nessie off the Starboard bow!)

• 2886 posts
    February 24, 2017 8:11 AM PST

Evoras said:

While I am not a fan of BDO's AFK fishing, it did add something I thought was 'new' for fishing.

The fish had a 'use by' date (well, time really). It seems to me that you could avoid having the market flooded with fish as more and more players just 'dabbled' in fishing by having fish go 'off' unless sold, smokes, salted or pickled within a certain time! Some fish might take longer than others to go off....

Of course, bad fish might have their uses too! (help you sneak into Dark Myr territory perhaps?) Perhaps as reagents for some spells, or possibly as 'lures' for hunting bigger fish! Perhaps even as a 'chumming agent' for hunting VERY big fish indeed!

In addition, fishing should lend itself to providing:

1. raw materials for cooking
    2. crafting components (eg bones, scales, squid ink)
    3. Alchemy components (eg fish lungs for making water breathing potion)

ofc If we take Brad at his word, we can probably divide fishing into :

Fresh water fishing,
    Sea Fishing (bigger, badder!)
    Raid Fishing (Nessie off the Starboard bow!)

This is interesting. I assume cooking the fish then extends the use-by date? Which begs the question, should most or all food have an expiration date? It "makes sense" that food would go bad after a while. Also adds a sense of urgency and challenge to it. Classic practicality vs. realism conundrum.

• 2138 posts
    February 24, 2017 7:59 PM PST

Would that make Jerky the ultimate baking skill? :)

with one combinaiton of spices making the one piece of jerky last a very long time. "How much Fish jerky you have?" "I just have the one" "whoah! who made that! still chewing on that one piece? how many days? whoah!(nice stats, too, not great but nice)"

• 763 posts
    February 25, 2017 12:06 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

This is interesting. I assume cooking the fish then extends the use-by date? Which begs the question, should most or all food have an expiration date? It "makes sense" that food would go bad after a while. Also adds a sense of urgency and challenge to it. Classic practicality vs. realism conundrum.

I like realism where it adds to the game 'fun' and experience, i.e. isn't too repetetive for no reason. I like the idea of 'have to eat food/drink' as in many games from EQ onwards. I don't think you should DIE of thirst/starvation, but your hp/mana regen should be affected! In addition, better food/drink can offer buffs to hp/mana regen and other things eg Stamina (rolled oat honey+nut energy bars), perception (think caffeine) etc.

As for fish/food preservation: hopefully you would have a few different options (salt, smoke, pickle, steam, smoke, cure) to entend the raw food/fish's 'expiry' timer. Perhaps the envoronment will affect this! Cold regions = longer timer, hot ones = shorter timer.

Once made into food, these too should have an 'eat by' date. Or simply put (from DEV perspective) food gets a 'Durability' when created. This decays over time. Some (Eg Apple Pie) decay rapidly, while others (eg Smoked Mackerel) decay very slowly. When DUR hits zero this food is inedible! Or has 10% original value in nutrition and a % chance to make you feel ill (small debuff).

PS allow summoners to summon 'Bread and water' as a backup (as EQ1 did).

PPS perhaps druids/shaman can cool foods to increase longevity? So make sure you bring one when you go on that Deep Sea fishing Raid! Don't want all your rare fish to go off before you can sell/cook them. do you!

• 213 posts
    April 20, 2017 6:21 PM PDT

Evoras said:

Bazgrim said:

I like realism where it adds to the game 'fun' and experience, i.e. isn't too repetetive for no reason. I like the idea of 'have to eat food/drink' as in many games from EQ onwards. I don't think you should DIE of thirst/starvation, but your hp/mana regen should be affected! In addition, better food/drink can offer buffs to hp/mana regen and other things eg Stamina (rolled oat honey+nut energy bars), perception (think caffeine) etc.

As for fish/food preservation: hopefully you would have a few different options (salt, smoke, pickle, steam, smoke, cure) to entend the raw food/fish's 'expiry' timer. Perhaps the envoronment will affect this! Cold regions = longer timer, hot ones = shorter timer.

Once made into food, these too should have an 'eat by' date. Or simply put (from DEV perspective) food gets a 'Durability' when created. This decays over time. Some (Eg Apple Pie) decay rapidly, while others (eg Smoked Mackerel) decay very slowly. When DUR hits zero this food is inedible! Or has 10% original value in nutrition and a % chance to make you feel ill (small debuff).

PS allow summoners to summon 'Bread and water' as a backup (as EQ1 did).

PPS perhaps druids/shaman can cool foods to increase longevity? So make sure you bring one when you go on that Deep Sea fishing Raid! Don't want all your rare fish to go off before you can sell/cook them. do you!

I love those ideas! It would be pretty funny if they had junk food you could buy as well that led to extreme fullness but lacked nutrition leading to less mana conservation lol.

• 70 posts
    April 27, 2017 3:40 PM PDT

I have to think we will have an achievement system here, I hope. It would be fun if fishing is a part of life here and has achievements too.

I loved early EQ fishing because there were rewards. The sandals could be worn, the rusty knives sharpened, to up your blacksmith skill and/or used for a weapon until you got a better one, and the fish could be eaten. The more you fished the better you got. There were ways to craft or 'win' better fishing poles. You needed bait, for 1 copper a can. And you could break your pole too, cost a whole 2 silvers.

Each zone had different fish. Later on, when crafting was expanded, the fact of different fish available, played a large part in cooking menus.

The fishing could save your life if you were KoS in a zone and had no other way to get food.

Fishing on the wharf while waiting for the ships to arrive and sending out the call "BOAT" is a fun memory also. Very social.

I liked LoR fishings aspect where you could have some of the fish mounted and put on your wall. I did not like the limit of what you could catch per day.

One of my favorite memories of old EQ was fishing after a hard day raiding :)  We would have the brewer make up some casks of brew for us: and we'd sit around the pond, river, ect. and fish and get drunk (and EQ did make us drunk, lower our IQ and add to our strenght, and you couldnt walk straight or see straight either).

We drank, fished, and told stories and talked. It was nice. It was a level of socialbility I've never felt in a game since.

• 12 posts
    April 29, 2017 4:10 PM PDT

Are there any thoughts on fish size and tracking for server-records like in Vanguard?  I liked the competive aspect of this.  Also, you could hook a lunker that would drag your toon into the water and require you to fight the fish to catch it.  Maybe the fish wasn't a fish but a shark, oh no!  Perhaps there are biomes that require you to catch a smaller bait fish, then use the bait fish to catch a larger fish, like a shark.  I like Baz's idea on lobster traps that would require some sort of time, perhaps enough time that would require you to go back to the area you set the trap a day or two later.

Brell's Fishing Pole  was one of my favorite EQ items.  To segway, maybe you get too drunk to fish and fall into the water.

There are a lot of possibilities with the fishing aspect of Pantheon and I can't wait to see how VR implements it.

Edit: Fix to hyperlink.

This post was edited by Pompler at April 29, 2017 4:11 PM PDT
    • 523 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:31 PM PDT

Ceythos said:

I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the amount of interest Fishing seems to have. Fishing is always near and dear to my heart as it was something my father and I greatly enjoyed together, so the chance to digitally capture some of that nostalgia gives me a bias towards wanting it. Why it's important to the game though, is we want to consider it part of the harvesting system so it feeds directly into Cooking, Alchemy, and other tradeskills. As also mentioned in this threatd, there's opportunities for us to have triggered events and spawns, as well as the opportunity to fish up quest starters/items, as well some trash and treasures.

Our biggest question to you though is: how do you see yourselves interacting with Fishing in the game? Do you want something actiony, with its own rules and movements, or do you see it as a more casual thing to do between slaying monsters, or something else entirely? Regardless, we'll likely be starting with something simple, but as we begin to work around the framework of what it *could* be in action, we'd like to hear your thoughts a bit. 

I think it would be fun if you could make fishing into a slow paced strategic solo activity.  No twitch or action.  Something more along the lines of Vanguard's crafting approach where you have a set amount of action points per attempt, you have to strategically decide how you approach potential problems during the fight, you have limited slots for pre-planned anti-complication gear, and you have skill points you can allot in various fishing stats as you level or skill up.  I enjoy strategic mini-games, whether it was diplomacy in Vanguard or Gwent in the Witcher.  No reason fishing can't be made into a similar concept.  Lots of games do the action, twitch thing.  If you don't want to make it strategic, keep it simple and copy EQ1's approach where the location matters and skill ups are very slow.

• 801 posts
    May 2, 2017 4:14 AM PDT

I am going to lift this older topic again.

Everquest had fishing in different zones. I just recently had the chance to check out Life Is Feudal, very impressed with the hardcore crafting, building game so far. I recommend giving it a try if you havent.

Also includes fishing. Many of these ideas so far are not new, In fact EQ has the same style of game play when it comes to fishing. You cast, mass cast and it pulls in random objects such as Rope, and very good quality images of fish. Here is a current screenshot of what i have so far.

Just to mention, if you want to play on a server, i have one here at the house. Your more then welcome to test the game out while this game is undergoing development. To waste time.... Just msg me and ill send you the info. But if you want to go fishing, your more then welcome. Also Lif:yo will get you free into MMO so it is worth the extra game in your steam folder. Nothing replaces MMO though like this.

This post was edited by Crazzie at May 2, 2017 4:19 AM PDT
    • 77 posts
    May 17, 2017 7:30 PM PDT

Fishing could be a way to create 'scale' armour, as the devs have been talking about different types of armour for different types of dmg on the streams. Also If there's sharks you could use their teeth/bones for jewelry. Fish oil for Alchemy and of course fish for cooking. It would be awesome to see lobsters in this game, but I'm probably going a little overboard.

• 18 posts
    June 7, 2017 7:16 PM PDT

EQ2 fishing is pretty great and you could find sweet spots in the zone with alot of nodes

i have spent a few hours fishing off of longshadow alley

• 7 posts
    June 9, 2017 5:18 PM PDT

Once I have me some grubs and a pole I will brew some fine ale and Host the Angler contests. To the winners go the best food and brew, Even coin if you're lucky

• 3016 posts
    June 9, 2017 9:18 PM PDT

Newgraves said:

Once I have me some grubs and a pole I will brew some fine ale and Host the Angler contests. To the winners go the best food and brew, Even coin if you're lucky

Sounds good to me!  Something more that the community can do together. :)

Cana

• VR Staff
    • 5 posts
    June 12, 2017 7:42 PM PDT

These are all great ideas guys.  I'm working on the fishing aspect of the game and I love hearing all your thoughts.  I'm making plenty of notes on the suggestions so please keep posting your ideas and we will do our best to make fishing a great experience in Pantheon.

• 578 posts
    June 12, 2017 10:35 PM PDT

I'd love a deep complex fishing game in Pantheon. Different types of lures. Different types of fishing poles, nothing too fancy like different line weights but at least different poles that have an affect on particular types of fish. Spots with bigger fish require bigger poles and possibly even a friend with a net.

Instead of fishing nodes like a bunch of bubbles or ripples in the water where you can click on like a node for iron ore just have fish out in all of the bodies of water. Maybe we can see schools of fish or just singular fish but I don't like when MMOs do nodes for fishing. This would make it more interesting for fishing off a boat if and whenever we can obtain boats. We'd be able to just get on our boat and sail out to a far off place and cast our lines out and see what we can come up with. Different areas of deep water would hold different types of fish which would require different types of lures AND poles. Players could then tell others of what spots are good for what fish as well as what lures seemed better and/or poles.

Allow us to actually cast our line. There could be controls to cast our line over head, side arm, fly fishing, deep water fishing, etc. Then allow us to have control so we can play with our line to possibly entice the fish to bite and once we have a bite to play tug of war with it to wear it down and tire out the fish to make it easier to reel in.

Then to top it all off, give us a fun and in depth crafting mechanic with a complex cooking system. This way we can create all sorts of different food with our fish to eat and sell and trade. What I keep hoping for is an MMO to come along that designs its game similar to how Grand Theft Auto has over its years. GTA V didn't just create an open world game and tack on some simple driving portion and tack on a simple shooting system. No, they developed a deep driving system and a robust shooting system that could stand on their own as individual games and still be a lot of fun. I'm still waiting for the MMO that designs its crafting, fishing, TCG, etc like their own individual full fledged games that could stand on their own but then are all part of one robust MMO.

• 174 posts
    June 13, 2017 9:09 AM PDT

You could also consider adding whaling as a type of fishing.  Once carpenters have the ability to create large sailing vessels blacksmiths could get to work on creating harpoons that could be mounted on ships.  You would be able to fire on truly large sea creatures with an epic fishing battles on your hands, perhaps even needing more than one fisher to land said beast.  Think taking down a sea going Smaug, with resultant scales providing a truly inspiring armor for leather workers to create.  Traveling deep at sea?  Hear the thump of the release of the kraken?  No problem, load the harpoon, knock back an ale and prepare for some serious fishing!

I think perception might fit in well with fishing, giving you a sense of a good area to cast a line.  Also when at sea on a boat perhaps have signs such as birds diving into the water to signal a school of fish.  Maybe as your fishing skill increases your "agro" area for fish could increase in size, casting your line in water would draw fish from a wider area, a novice fisher would find no fish whereas a veteran fisher would pull fish to the same spot.  This could increase exploring fishing areas, as well as giving different results depending on skill.

Finally a video to show how spearfishing could look under water.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmYNoKMOuA

• 3237 posts
    June 13, 2017 11:50 AM PDT

I love the idea of there being exotic fishing nodes.  To expand on that, I think it would be cool if certain kinds of fish only come out under certain conditions such as there being a full moon, or be raining in the area.  Perhaps storms could cause weird fluctuations in this area as well.  I also think it would be really cool if there were fishing nodes in extremely dangerous areas that had a higher rare fish ratio.  These nodes should essentially require a full group to clear the area prior to any fishing getting done.  I would hope to see fishing be somewhat of a process ... so if a mob respawns while you are in the middle of fishing, it will attack you and force you to stop what you are doing and deal with it.  This could cause you to lose a rare fish that you may have snagged, but timing is important!

Beyond that, I also really loved a couple features from Breath of Fire.  In BoF 2, you could catch "treasure chests."  These were extremely heavy and could only be reeled in by a master fisher with a really strong rod.  I think these could be used as "uber rare" nodes that randomly spawn in the world.  Ideally, they would stay there until someone reels it up.  This would allow random adventurers who like to go swimming to have a chance to find them and then either contact a fisher friend they know to tell them about it, or potentially sell their info to someone else.  I'm not really sure what you would put into these chests but ideally it would be something pretty desirable and not really be "fishing related."  It could be a piece of PVE gear, maybe a spell scroll, gold, gems ... who knows!

Another thing I really liked was the chance to catch "Marino Men"  --  the only bait that worked on these guys was gold bars.  If you caught one, they were a special NPC merchant that sold rare scrolls/gear, etc.  So in some ways they are similar to the chest in regards to what they could offer, the difference would be that they are a merchant that other players could interact with.  Ideally, their supplies would be very limited.  This would allow a fisher who catches one to either buy everything up himself, or if he doesen't have the inventory space/funding, he can ask his friends to come along and buy the rest.  Both the chests and marino men should be pretty rare overall (somewhat more common in the really dangerous areas) but this would make the fishing game feel very fun and rewarding.  Maybe you can loot the chests outright, but they also require a rogue to lockpick them.  I would imagine them being very heavy to lug around!

• 77 posts
    June 17, 2017 6:50 PM PDT

Some awesome ideas in this thread! The whaling idea is pretty awesome too. I think it would be great to have a level of danger involved for higher level fishing. Especially if you're trying to catch a whale, shark etc and requires a group to do. How practical this is with Pantheon's development time frame is another story. Can't help but fantasise though.

• 220 posts
    September 9, 2017 11:00 PM PDT

The main thing I want to see from Fishing is evolution over time. 

I want to start out fishing from shore with bugs that are there.  Stuff the fish actually eat just there to catch or harvest.  Sort of indicating fish might be around with the things fish eat, instead of just some circle on the water...  Then I want to work my way up to using lures that look like those bugs and can be used more than one time.  And then I want to be able to catch bait in larger waters, and when I learn enough about the bait fish, I want to be able to make lures that look like that bait.  And I want this whole method to be like a mini game.  Ideally like Bass Pro from the 8bit or 16bit era type mechanics.  But as long as it is not just a harvest node...  I hate when fishing is reduced to nodes and a harvested resource.

I want fish to act like the environment matters.  So they bite less in direct sunlight, or only come into shore at night, or when it rains.  And I definitely want to see shoals of fish in the water that I can target using simple controls to cast and try to lure one away.  I also want to see the big trophy fish you might hear an old man in the tavern talk about.  You know, the catfish as long as his leg and twice as thick.  I want those fish to be around, and talked about by locals.  Even if you can't catch them.

And don't forget about ice fishing... if you got frozen water, let me cut a hole in it and try to grab a Pike.

Just give fishing that feeling... like it's real, and matters, even if just to the old man NPC at the tavern talking about the one that got away.  Maybe you could catch these giant trophy fish once in a while and loot a scale off them to bring back as proof before you release them.  I would love that.  But only if it was ultra rare, and overall meaningless to progression.  Just fun little quests to brighten some old fisherman's day.

And please, don't forget about Shellfish.  They are fish too... sort of.

And I want this to be organized like a fishing license / fishing journal for each kind of fish, or area.  Like a real sort of permit to fish in whatever area you might be in.  But also have like poaching and unregulated waterways with unlimited common fish.  So when I catch a fish, I want a record about the catch.  The size, location, and method used.  Maybe even strick limits on how many of any given fish can be caught in regulated waterways.

Down the line I want fishing boats, and charter runs (like fishing raids).  If you have never been on a ling cod charter boat with 20 or so people fishing a school together, then this might be hard to imagine.  But it sure is fun as hell in real life.  You could make the boat automated and just for fishing charters at set times and have the captain and/or a raid leader doing bait while everyone else is fishing as fast as they can before the school moves on.  It would be super fun.

Then, of course, I want to be able to take those fish and run them straight into the loading dock of my Fish Pot Pie factory.  And I want my Pie empire to grow and expand like a blanket of homemade glory across the known lands with new player missions to source the finest ingredients, rare species for specialty Pie orders, and the sheer volume of fish required to satisfy those Pie starved masses. 

But this is a tale for another time...

This post was edited by ZennExile at September 9, 2017 11:09 PM PDT
    • 59 posts
    October 23, 2017 1:40 AM PDT

I am loving the support for fishing! It's such a wonderfully relaxing activity. Plus, fishing to support crafting is just a huge bonus. 

Can't wait to organize some fishing events! (Drinks + fishing derby anyone!?)

• 1120 posts
    October 23, 2017 2:14 PM PDT

Fishing to support crafting is all I want.   I don't necessarily want something too complex, just click the lure and catch the fish.   But I like the idea of the expiration dates, adds a new element to pricing your fish 

• 1785 posts
    October 23, 2017 6:12 PM PDT

I'm ok with a fishing minigame - here's sort of how I see it, in order of priority:

1) Fish should be useful for crafting (cooking, alchemy etc)

2) Fishing should be easy/inexpensive to start

3) Just like all other forms of crafting/gathering - gear should matter.  Get a better rod, better boots, better bait == catch bigger/more exotic fish

4) Exotic fish should come from exotic places

5) Some sort of minigame similar to crafting is ok, but don't make it super twitchy.  Fixing should be relaxing, with challenge when you're trying to reel in that really big monster you just hooked.