Forums » The Enchanter

What I loved (and didn't) about being an Enchanter

• 132 posts
    August 21, 2017 8:01 PM PDT

I didn't like EQ1 enchanters dots or nukes. i used them in raids, but it felt like a flea on a dogs arse. But maybe thats what made us great CC instead of great DPS. Sometimes you dont know whats good for you. I also didn't like how our pets worked. But maybe that was good for us, too? I just know that our offensive spells should be mostly dots.

• 27 posts
    September 27, 2017 12:48 PM PDT

What I loved about Everquest enchanters was that they showed that you could make a class do zero damage and still be entirely relevant. It seems like in all the games now every class has to parse the most damage and that is the only qualification that matters. In Everquest, I don't believe I wore a weapon after level 10 until I got my Staff of the Serpent. Once I hit top level I don't believe I ever summoned my pet again except to farm or to play around in low level zones. Also, I absolutely adored aoe groups. I loved 50-100 mob pulls and demolishing them with a good group setup.

I never minded the /tells for buffs. We had something precious and valuable to just about all classes. And if I wasn't in the mood for it, I could always /role or more rarely /anon. I would even Speed of the Shissar everyone whenever I was in a lower level area.

• 10 posts
    September 27, 2017 11:09 PM PDT

I loved crowd controll in EQ  that what i found to be the most fun with enchanters , i am not a big fan when it comes to charming, sure its a huge DPS boost to a group but i dont like it and i personally hope charm mechanics are toned down in Pantheon and we get some straigh DD spells for those moments when we have the adds in lockdown. Enchanters IHO be more of an CC and support character , atleast thats the way i would like the chantys to be =)  .

• 251 posts
    September 28, 2017 3:55 AM PDT

I hope they bring charm back and go big with it.  I would allow Enchanter and Bard to charm and sustain a single heavy raid target.  Maybe strong trash mobs or an uncommon with a name.

To make this happen I would have Bard and Enchanter flip skill bars to a secondary Cooperative Control bar that uses combinations of skills and counters to attack the mind of what they are trying to control.  And over time this attack would weaken and disable the mob to the point where is loses its mind and will rampage.  Then I would add on a 3rd condition.  The mob would need to be taunted by a tank/support tank, in order for the charm to hold.

So it would be like a mini battle where only the Bard and Enchanter fight against their shared pet's mind.  But it can only be triggered when a tank has first taunted it.  I would also make the mini game mechanics throw piles of hate around, so the pet could not be used as a tank for very long without losing agro to the spells that control it.  It would be high risk because when the timer expires the mob has to be locked down and finished off quickly.  Depending on how powerful the mob is, that might be a bad idea.

And I would simply balance it around the idea that the maximum output of the Bard and Enchanter should be limited to what any other pair of DPS could accomplish.  So the mob would have a fixed maximum damage when charmed.  Probably based on the combined stats of the two controlling it and then capped if need be.  Something like that.

And as much as I love trains, and mobs that never give up though, I hope AoE trains are just impossible in this game.  I would put an additive stat reduction proc that bottoms out your defense, and can only be countered by the number of people in your group or raid.  So basically if you pull too much and take a single hit, you get one-shot and all your skills except escapes would be rendered useless for defense.  I would also make AoE's spells scale in mana cost for the number of targets affected.  Just to make AoE farming cost a massive amount even where it is possible.

• 5 posts
    October 1, 2017 3:14 PM PDT

Definitley loved the crowd control (<3 AE mez) Such a rush when you have 5+ mobs in camp all on lock down, debuffed and ready for the group to kill. 

Charming is definltey fun and I hope Pantheon has a more refined/high skill cap/reward charm mechanic(s).  Charming in EQ is meh nowdays... it's a bit too OP  /ezmode /iwin@EQ in the recent era of TLP's.

Two things that made me a tad cranky were 1) people not using assist and breaking my mezes  2) The MT or MA not listening to which mobs I've asked to break next (They're picking mobs willy nilly).. aka please leave that spellcaster last so I can mana tap.

Super fun class to play. Loved playing an Enchanter almost much as my Cleric.

cheers :)

This post was edited by Heloisa at October 1, 2017 3:15 PM PDT
    • 36 posts
    October 11, 2017 11:25 AM PDT

Heloisa said:

Definitley loved the crowd control (<3 AE mez) Such a rush when you have 5+ mobs in camp all on lock down, debuffed and ready for the group to kill. 

Charming is definltey fun and I hope Pantheon has a more refined/high skill cap/reward charm mechanic(s).  Charming in EQ is meh nowdays... it's a bit too OP  /ezmode /iwin@EQ in the recent era of TLP's.

Two things that made me a tad cranky were 1) people not using assist and breaking my mezes  2) The MT or MA not listening to which mobs I've asked to break next (They're picking mobs willy nilly).. aka please leave that spellcaster last so I can mana tap.

Super fun class to play. Loved playing an Enchanter almost much as my Cleric.

cheers :)

I'd have to agree with you on your pros and cons.  I found something that I ended up loving in other games was the ability for CC to visually identify the "next assist target".  In some games, the CC can put symbols or numbers above the target's but that would remove the immersion, so I would love to see something simple to identify the next target, like a sparkle the enchanter can put above a target's head, or maybe a way to make the target glow to avoid the MA picking the wrong target and messing up the CC roation or mana sieving.  

• 286 posts
    November 21, 2017 11:23 AM PST

My only real con on the EQ1 enchanter was the late-Velious and beyond nerf they gave to charm and mezz. Reverse charm soloing was one of the funnier paybacks to hat, but it still sucked to be the number one target for every "you will raid our way" nerf of your core skill set. They started it in Kael Drakkel, and just ran with it until they let you "undo" some of the nerfs with like 8k+ AA points.

And that was a major con for me because I played so much AO and they never had a problem with a pure mezz/charm/CC class such that the entire toolkit would be disabled in so many places.

• 76 posts
    November 29, 2017 11:50 AM PST

I think Enchanters in vanilla EQ are a perfect target for those in Pantheon.  While the OP is correct in that the DOTs, nukes, and animation pet were not fantastic, that weakness was balanced out by the ability to charm tremendously powerful monsters that could increase the group DPS by 25-50%.  They also had the ability to mesmerize adds and lull to assist in pulling.  They also had some utility by being able to gate, significantly increase mana regeneration, invis, enchant metals, and levitate.  Despite the enchanter's weakness, they were very powerful if played properly.

One cool additional power that enchanters could get is the ability to enchant weapons for specific damage types.  An enchanter could cast the weapon enchantment on the player to give them a bane ability against a specific element, making weapons more useful against certain types of monsters.  I could see this being used in an encounter:

- Players are locked in a room with an elemental sorceror. 
    - The sorceror summons various elementals that are highly resistant (not immune) to all damage except from a specific element type, and healed by the same element type.  For example, the flame elemental would be hurt by cold damage and healed by fire damage. 
    - The group has a couple of abilities to kill the summons: 
       * Have the group move the monster to specific rooms that were opposite in the alignment, and have a rogue use their mechanics capability to kill the monster.  Moving to that room would cause the group to take periodic elemental damage, and would spawn adds.
       * Kill the elemental by brute force which would take a long time;
       * Have casters use nukes of the correct element type, and melee use weapons that already had an elemental damage attack;
       * Have an enchanter that enchants the melee weapons to the correct damage type.

Another thing I would like to see is a visual indication that a monster has been mesmerized or charmed.  A charmed monster could have eyes that glow white.  A mesmerized monster could have its head up and look dizzy, maybe moving its head around in circles or its head down, clenching it with both hands.  This would make it easier for players to know not to attack a specific monster.

This post was edited by Hadekin at November 29, 2017 11:53 AM PST
    • 11 posts
    December 9, 2017 11:40 AM PST

I have leveled several high end characters in EQ and yet the enchanter for me provided something no other class did. I can't put my finger on what exactly that was but it was such a fun class to play. I played as MT, ST, MH, and those are all very tense positions inside of a full raid but as an enchanter, my job was always to make chaos into peace. The race that did that for me was the dwarf. Pantheon sees it fit to allow dwarves to be enchanters....I'm in.  The other reason I enjoyed being an enchanter, outside of groups, was due to the high charisma, imbue spells, and buffs which allowed me to make high end JC items and sell at a pretty decent profit. Hopefully there will be something similar to that in Pantheon.